• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN account was hacked into. They spent around £200

Zomba13

Just got online and noticed an email to my account saying I've added funds to my PSN ID and made purcheses. Checked and there was a whole list from today.

I didn't make them. I didn't even know I had my Debit Card saved or anything, I pre-ordered SF3 online on the 18th and it asked me to enter my card details.

Anyway, I've been googling and can't find out how to report this and get my money back. Can GAF point me in the right direction? None of my friends have had to deal with this and I can't find anything about getting hacked on the PSN support site http://uk.playstation.com/psn/support/

Sorry to hear this. :\ Didn't Sony team up with some online security team to prevent unauthorized log ins or security breaches, recently? They also offered a year free.
Edit: Also call Sony as soon as possible.

Chiggs

Gold Member
You know, if you actually contact a lawyer about this, there's a chance you can recoup far more in damages, especially given Sony's recent track record.

Hate to sound like an ambulance chaser, but this is getting out of hand.

Sydle

Why would you put your CC info on there after what just happened a couple months ago? Buy cards in a store or online. I've been getting mine from Amazon.com.

Speevy

Banned
Chiggs said:
You know, if you actually contact a lawyer about this, there's a chance you can recoup far more in damages, especially given Sony's recent track record.

There is a FAR greater chance that someone got his user details through simpler means.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I know a friend that this happened too

My friend got reimbursed....but the account was suspended + deleted.....

So that account is long gone....here's hoping that policy changed

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You need to call Sony and be polite but firm. They may be feeling a little bit more generous than usual on this front, as even if it's got nothing to do with them being hacked, if you publicize what happened, people will assume it's hacking-related.

Zomba13

Trying to find a number to call them on. Can't find anything on their website and I don't have the booklets the PS3 came with they are in the attic.
No 'contact us' either on the support site im looking at :S

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Zomba13 said:
Trying to find a number to call them on. Can't find anything on their website and I don't have the booklets the PS3 came with they are in the attic.
No 'contact us' either on the support site im looking at :S

1-800-345-SONY

Monday - Saturday
6:00 AM - 8:00 PM Pacific

Sunday
7:00 AM - 6:30 PM Pacific

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
That's US guys, the amount is in sterling

So most likely Europe

Here is UK's:

Playstation Support Number - 0844 736 0595 (UK)

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, contact Sony about it. You can also try to contact your bank about it.

Chiggs said:

What is getting out of hand? I'm actually a bit surprised that we havnt heard tons of stories about creditcard abuse after the PSN hack. But since we havnt, it makes me suspect that the hackers didnt get any CC info from the PSN servers.

Zomba13

GraveRobberX said:
That's US guys, the amount is in sterling

So most likely Europe

Here is UK's:

Playstation Support Number - 0844 736 0595 (UK)
Thanks. They appear to be closed though and I can't find anything useful on their site. Complained on their twitter though.

Radec said:
Didnt you changed your password?
I did change the pass after the leak.

1. Report the transaction to your bank as fraudulent/unauthorized, get your card cancelled and a new one issued. You need to be quick on this as the window for contesting debit charges is different from credit cards.

Most banks have a 24 hour help line to report this sort of thing. Ring them up immediately.

2. Ring up Sony.

Chiggs

Gold Member
test_account said:
What is getting out of hand? I'm actually a bit surprised that we havnt heard tons of stories about creditcard abuse after the PSN hack. But since we havnt, it makes me suspect that the hackers didnt get any CC info from the PSN servers.

Sony's margin for error after what happened is slim. The OP should contact Sony about the situation, see what can be done, and then if that proves unsatisfactory, he should seek legal consultation. He can most certainly land a free hour with a reputable lawyer who can provide another perspective on the situation.

Again, due diligence.

Did you share your account with anyone by any chance? It's highly impossible a hacker will hack your account to get your games when he can get the games via other hacking/homebrew means. If it really was a hacker, you'd have far more charges than just PSN.

Go to www.qriocity.com, Log into your account and see how many PS3s are activated.

Think... who did you share your account with? What game/beta/demo you downloaded at your friend's place. Think.

Again, go to www.qriocity.com, sign it to your account, Click on "Playstation 3 Systems" and see how many systems are activated. For future sake, rename the PS3s so you know which one is yours and which one isn't.

Chiggs said:
He can most certainly land a free hour with a reputable lawyer who can provide another perspective on the situation.

As was already mentioned, he isn't from the US. The 'suing for every little problem' doesn't work in other countries.

Zomba13

Nope. Never shared my PSN account with anyone and barely have friends on it.

That qriocity thing says I have 3 PS3 linked or some shit.

CC theft happens all the time. I highly doubt it was a Sony security issue. Those of you telling him to try and gain money out of the situation is pretty pathetic actually. Just contact your bank and Sony and get your money back. Thats what a normal person would do.

Chiggs

Gold Member
PumpkinPie said:
As was already mentioned, he isn't from the US. The 'suing for every little problem' doesn't work in other countries.

I'm sorry, but he has a valid issue. I'm aware other countries aren't lawsuit happy like the US, but sitting down with a lawyer to see what his options are isn't a bad idea. It's just about weighing options.

KingOfKong said:
I highly doubt it was a Sony security issue.

With all due respect, you really don't know that.

iNvid02

your credit card company will have the money back in your account in no time

in the mean time, change your passwords, delete your billing info from PSN and maybe
even request a new card from your bank.

Massa

KingOfKong said:
CC theft happens all the time. I highly doubt it was a Sony security issue. Those of you telling him to try and gain money out of the situation is pretty pathetic actually. Just contact your bank and Sony and get your money back. Thats what a normal person would do.

This was not CC theft, someone found out his PSN password and is using his PSN account. If they actually had the CC information they wouldn't use his own PSN account to spend it on.

iNvidious01 said:
your credit card company will have the money back in your account in no time

in the mean time, change your passwords, delete your billing info from PSN and maybe
even request a new card from your bank.

If he does that Sony will ban his account and he will lose everything he bought on it. It's much better to contact Sony first and try to get them to charge back the amount.

Zomba13 said:
1 PS3 and It's System name isn't shown on the site. (mine is 'Myname's PS3')

Well there you go. Two more people have your account information. Do you have an account with the following websites:

- Kotaku/Gawker Media
- Battlefield Heroes
- LastPass

If so, these websites also got hacked recently and your old/new password might be similar.

Chiggs said:
I'm sorry, but he has a valid issue. I'm aware other countries aren't lawsuit happy like the US, but sitting down with a lawyer to see what his options are isn't a bad idea. It's just about weighing options.

Nothing wrong about calling Sony first and explaining the situation to them. If he gets his money back, no reason to sue anybody. Seriously, why being a dick if things probably can be solved easily? Some people...

Zomba13

KingOfKong said:
I've had theft before but I find it a bit strange how the first time in ages I buy something from PSN (thereby putting my debit card info back up) I get charges from my PSN account.

Not had charges from any other place (yet at least). I think it's Sony's fault as they were using my PSN account, not just my card on another account.

Didn't use the same password on other things either (apart from my other PSN accounts, which I rarely logged into).

shagg_187 said:
Well there you go. Two more people have your account information. Do you have an account with the following websites:

- Kotaku/Gawker Media
- Battlefield Heroes
- LastPass

If so, these websites also got hacked recently and your old/new password might be similar.
Had a BF Heroes account but it wasn't from the beta (which were the ones leaked right?) also the password and details for that account were different from the current PSN ones. =/

Chiggs said:

nor do you know that it is the case, therefore suggesting to get money out of Sony for it is just as asinine. He should just contact Sony and likely it will get resolved. Talking about suing when nobody knows exactly what happened doesn't seem logical.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Mailenstein said:
Nothing wrong about calling Sony first and explaining the situation to them. If he gets his money back, no reason to sue anybody. Seriously, why being a dick if things probably can be solved easily? Some people...

He should contact Sony; again, I'm not sure why consulting someone over what happened is such a terrible move, or one that indicates "dickish" behavior. The consultation may very well end with the OP being told that its simply not worth pursuing, or there might be another avenue to take.

Regardless, the OP was the victim here. The actual details are still quite unknown, but given Sony's record it's hardly a bad idea to seek legal counsel (especially if its free). The OP's data was exposed, money was stolen, and his time is being wasted.

KingOfKong said:
nor do you know that it is the case, therefore suggesting to get money out of Sony for it is just as asinine. He should just contact Sony and likely it will get resolved. Talking about suing when nobody knows exactly what happened doesn't seem logical.

I'm pretty sure I've stated that he should seek legal consultation several times in my posts. Again, due diligence. The details are unknown, but the circumstances are enough to raise an eyebrow.

Zomba13

Yeah, gonna get a new debit card and I've changed my passwords. Can't speak to Sony until tomorrow (phone is closed until tomorrow and their website offers no help at all from what I've seen.

On hold for the bank now for the fraud stuff. If Sony bans me for this then fuck them, I'll just keep complaining or something.

I highly doubt it's Sony's fault if you say you changed the password.

Do me a favor and:

1. Change your password and remove CC info.
2. Call Sony to deactivate all your systems, ensuring that you, the primary owner, will be the only one with access. It takes a few minutes to do so, though you better do it soon before the other guy smartens up and completely lock you out of your console while going on CC charging frenzy.
3. Call the CC company and tell them your account was falsely used and charged upon. They should refund the money and if they don't then call Sony and ask for refund (CAUTION: Sony MIGHT lock your account if they deem it's been used for fraudulent motives, which in this case it is).

But I guess you know what to do. Sorry that this happened to you.

Zomba13 said:
Yeah, gonna get a new debit card and I've changed my passwords. Can't speak to Sony until tomorrow (phone is closed until tomorrow and their website offers no help at all from what I've seen.

On hold for the bank now for the fraud stuff. If Sony bans me for this then fuck them, I'll just keep complaining or something.

why get all bent out of shape until you find out what they are going to do? its almost like you are already set on blaming Sony for this. Just be patient for now until you know what their resolve will be. Sorry this happened to you, hope it all gets straightened out. I am sure it will.

If someone simply was able to sign in to your account, and as you have 3 registered PS3s on the Qriocity, that's most likely what happened. You don't really need to change CC. Just call the bank and tell them to block anything from PSN.

They can't get the CC info iirc. It's displayed as xxxxxxxxxxx then the 4 last digits.

agm2502

Don't you have to confirm your 3 digit security code when purchasing from PSN? If so I don't see how this could of happened.

Slavik81

Chiggs said:

Over $200 in common identity theft? What other damages would he claim Sony caused him? Sounds like a tremendous waste of his time to me.

agm2502

Metalmurphy said:
No. That's just when you register the card.
Pretty stupid of Sony, I didn't think companies were allowed to store this number which is why you have to enter it for every transaction on other sites. It would prevent this from happening again.

Zomba13

shagg_187 said:
I highly doubt it's Sony's fault if you say you changed the password.

Do me a favor and:

1. Change your password and remove CC info.
2. Call Sony to deactivate all your systems, ensuring that you, the primary owner, will be the only one with access. It takes a few minutes to do so, though you better do it soon before the other guy smartens up and completely lock you out of your console while going on CC charging frenzy.
3. Call the CC company and tell them your account was falsely used and charged upon. They should refund the money and if they don't then call Sony and ask for refund (CAUTION: Sony MIGHT lock your account if they deem it's been used for fraudulent motives, which in this case it is).

But I guess you know what to do. Sorry that this happened to you.
Done the first. Can't do the second one as the phone line is closed at the moment. Doing the 3rd now.

agm2502 said:
Pretty stupid of Sony, I didn't think companies were allowed to store this number which is why you have to enter it for every transaction on other sites. It would prevent this from happening again.

They don't store it. It's illegal to do so. But it is only required once for authorization. It works the same way pretty much everywhere.

Kyon

Banned
There's no way someone hacked your account just to download games off PSN, because they would've taken your CC info and bought/charged for other things.

Top Bottom