• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Performance thread

Confiture said:
I know the first page says it's possible to play with a controller but I just can't get mine to work (360 wireless)...
Anyone able to play with one?

It doesn't detect mine at all when I activate it while in game. I'm not home right now but I haven't tried activating the controller before I launch the game. Maybe that's the trick?

I'm not a huge fan of trying to crouch with PC/Mouse controls. I keep hitting the Windows Key and getting dumped from the game.

jdmonmou

I'm able to play with one, but it's kind of frustrating since the on screen commands still prompt you to use keyboard commands instead of the Xbox controller's buttons.

Confiture

Banned
DoctorWho said:
It doesn't detect mine at all when I activate it while in game. I'm not home right now but I haven't tried activating the controller before I launch the game. Maybe that's the trick?

Seems like it is indeed the trick.
Activated it before launching the game and it now works!

Manager

jdmonmou said:
I'm able to play with one, but it's kind of frustrating since the on screen commands still prompt you to use keyboard commands instead of the Xbox controller's buttons.

Have you tried pushing any controller buttons during the QTE events? That the UI shows, for example, "Press Space!" but pressing X works?

Confiture said:

Think it was the same to some other EA game too, Hot Pursuit. I'll add it to the OP.

jdmonmou

Manager said:
Have you tried pushing any controller buttons during the QTE events? That the UI shows, for example, "Press Space!" but pressing X works?
Yes, that works. You just have to remember what keyboard keys correspond to the xbox controller button. For example, space is A button, E is B button, Left mouse click is right trigger, and so on.

Manager

jdmonmou said:
Yes, that works. You just have to remember what keyboard keys correspond to the xbox controller button. For example, space is A button, E is B button, Left mouse click is right trigger, and so on.

It would be awesome if we could put together a list for this. Game isn't unlocked for me until Thursday though, so I can't try until then.

Which ones do you know so far?

Space = A
E = B
Left mouse = Right Trigger

Gwanatu T

So....I'm not sure if I just have a magical system or not, but here's what I'm running:

Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.6GHz
Radeon 6870 1gb stock clocks
4gb DDR3 1600

I'm running the game at 1080p, everything at ultra, MSAA turned off and it's running absolutely PERFECTLY! I haven't run FRAPS to get an exact framerate, but it's definitely over 30 outside, and pushing 60 indoors no problem. I couldn't ask for a better experience, this is absolutely golden! Sorry to all who are experiencing issues, I hope yours get fixed soon!

EDIT: I've only played the campaign because I didn't feel like getting banned for activating early. I'll try MP later today and see how my machine fares.

ACE 1991

So are they any settings I can bump from high to ultra and not expect much of a performance hit? 1gb 6950/i5 2500k/8gb of ram.

supersaw

Noticing rubber banding accompanied by stuttering but it's not like the usual shitty profile CF, SLI type stuttering it feels more like netcode, animations will also get stuck and then play really fast here and there.

It could be some keepalive talk home system that they're using for authentication because it definitely has the feeling of lag.

iNvid02

Manager said:
It would be awesome if we could put together a list for this. Game isn't unlocked for me until Thursday though, so I can't try until then.

Which ones do you know so far?

Space = A
E = B
Left mouse = Right Trigger

yeah thats all i know, still there should be buttons displayed

Dries

ACE 1991 said:
So are they any settings I can bump from high to ultra and not expect much of a performance hit? 1gb 6950/i5 2500k/8gb of ram.

What's your performance on max everything? I have the same system, but only a 6970.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
ACE 1991 said:
It frequently dips below 30 in 64 player matches.
If the performance increase it true then my 2GB/flashed 6950 should get me no lower than 40fps like in the beta. Even at the most intense moments it never got lower than that with everything maxed.

LogicStep

Confiture said:
Wait so the game has native support for the 360 controller or are you guys using 3rd party software to get it working? I have a wired controller.

TylerD

Pandoracell said:
Getting these odd green flashes fairly often since updating to the latest nvidia drivers. Just me?

I had the same issue with my 560ti using the latest drivers in the beta. I remember hearing a lot about that from other people too. Don't know about retail yet.

Smokey

Played for quite some time last night. My system:

i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz
2x 3GB GTX 580s
16GB RAM
120GB SSD

All settings at max/ultra @ 1080p on a 3D 120hz monitor. Using the beta BF3 drivers.

I only played up until the jet mission in SP. Nothing below 60fps, although I did notice some slight stuttering from time to time.

In MP I did not notice the stuttering. Everything ran smooth and the lowest I saw my fps get was around the 75ish range. I played everything from 64 player maps, to 32 player maps. Rush and Conquest. VRAM usage seemed to max out at 1.3GB on each card.

I included the SSD as that is what I have the game running off of. Dunno how much it actually helps but I didn't remember having any load issues at all. Whenever a new round started I was in fairly early with the countdown time at 25seconds waiting for everybody else to fill in :)

Veal

Gwanatu T said:
So....I'm not sure if I just have a magical system or not, but here's what I'm running:

Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.6GHz
Radeon 6870 1gb stock clocks
4gb DDR3 1600

I'm running the game at 1080p, everything at ultra, MSAA turned off and it's running absolutely PERFECTLY! I haven't run FRAPS to get an exact framerate, but it's definitely over 30 outside, and pushing 60 indoors no problem. I couldn't ask for a better experience, this is absolutely golden! Sorry to all who are experiencing issues, I hope yours get fixed soon!

EDIT: I've only played the campaign because I didn't feel like getting banned for activating early. I'll try MP later today and see how my machine fares.
I have an identical system, except for a few things (my Phenom's at 3.7 and I have 8GB DDR3 1333, MSAA 2X) and I pretty much get the same performance! Very rarely, the frame rate drops to 24, but it still remains playable! Very nice jorb by DICE here! And people were afraid they were going to mess this up!

TylerD

Smokey said:

i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz
2x 3GB GTX 580s
16GB RAM
120GB SSD

All settings at max/ultra @ 1080p on a 3D 120hz monitor. Using the beta BF3 drivers.

I only played up until the jet mission in SP. Nothing below 60fps, although I did notice some slight stuttering from time to time.

In MP I did not notice the stuttering. Everything ran smooth and the lowest I saw my fps get was around the 75ish range. I played everything from 64 player maps, to 32 player maps. Rush and Conquest. VRAM usage seemed to max out at 1.3GB on each card.

I included the SSD as that is what I have the game running off of. Dunno how much it actually helps but I didn't remember having any load issues at all. Whenever a new round started I was in fairly early with the countdown time at 25seconds waiting for everybody else to fill in :)

I'm surprised you're not having a lot of performance issues with that sorry rig. :p

Orayn

My specs are...

Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0GHz
4GB DDR2 @ 667
GTX 260 Core 216
1680x1050 monitor, but I'm willing to go lower.

Can anyone with a similar machine tell me if I have a prayer of running this at a satisfactory framerate? I didn't get a chance to try the beta, so I don't really have any way to gauge it. My PC is getting pretty dated and I can barely manage 30 FPS on some maps in Bad Company 2 at native resolution with medium-low settings, which makes me nervous...

Smokey

TylerD said:
I'm surprised you're not having a lot of performance issues with that sorry rig. :p

Hey I'm just offering impressions on what I can! I know there are some other 580 SLI users around here and probably some lurking too. Just doing my part :)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Orayn said:
My specs are...

Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0GHz
4GB DDR2 @ 667
GTX 260 Core 216
1680x1050 monitor, but I'm willing to go lower.

Benchmarks are in the OT.

Your Graphics card is slightly better than a GTS 450, so whatever it got, expect a few frames mo.......ooooh way E6600?

Expect similar results, your CPU will most likely be the bottleneck.

iNvid02

Smokey said:

i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz
2x 3GB GTX 580s
16GB RAM
120GB SSD

we have a pretty similar setup and im having a few stutter issues too when at ultra.
i turned off ambient occlusion and it seems ok now, 60fps nearly all the time with a few dips to 50, at 1600p that is pretty damn good.

got it installed on a caviar black 2tb, but i might move to the SSD, depends how much im gonna play multi i think.

Dries

CryptiK said:
Any command to Cap a frame rate. And no I am not using V-Sync as I use a 120Hz monitor

Use Dxtory. A third party software which I use for all my game to cap fps limit.

ACE 1991

LiquidMetal14 said:
If the performance increase it true then my 2GB/flashed 6950 should get me no lower than 40fps like in the beta. Even at the most intense moments it never got lower than that with everything maxed.

Damn. Does the headroom afforded by that extra gig of video ram really make that much of a difference?

My performance seems a little low...

Core i7 930
6GB DDR3
GTX 580 running newest drivers
2560x1440 resolution

I've only played 64 player matches so far, and at ultra the fps is below 30, I have to run the game at high in order to get a good enough framerate to the point where it doesn't cause me to get killed, it's still not a nice 60fps though.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
ACE 1991 said:
Damn. Does the headroom afforded by that extra gig of video ram really make that much of a difference?
when i bought the 2gb version, bf3 weighed heavy in my mind. all past pc-centric battlefields have been vram monsters.

ACE 1991

ghst said:
when i bought the 2gb version, bf3 weighed heavy in my mind. all past pc-centric battlefields have been vram monsters.

Bummer. People told me that games wouldn't use above 1gb for quite awhile.

Smokey

TouchMyBox said:
My performance seems a little low...

Core i7 930
6GB DDR3
GTX 580 running newest drivers
2560x1440 resolution
I've only played 64 player matches so far, and at ultra the fps is below 30, I have to run the game at high in order to get a good enough framerate to the point where it doesn't cause me to get killed, it's still not a nice 60fps though.

Well there ya go. With most games you can probably get away with one 580 and still get 55-60 fps at your resolution. For this though probably need 2.

Smokey said:
Well there ya go. With most games you can probably get away with one 580 and still get 55-60 fps at your resolution. For this though probably need 2.

But it's so pretty. :(

Is there any evidence to suggest that the game would benefit from me upping the clock speed on my CPU from 2.8GHz?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
i5 750 stock
5850 OC
8gb DDR3

I average between 40-60 fps @ 1920x1080 in wide open maps and pretty solid in tight spaces like Metro and Damavand. Graphics were set to auto with high settings and some options turned off. I wasn't expecting this kind of performance. During beta my fps in Metro was 30-50fps with similar auto settings. Now with the same drivers i'm getting 50-70 fps in Metro.

I'm going to wait until the HD7000 series before I upgrade my gpu and get some after market cooling and OC my cpu to 4ghz.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
ACE 1991 said:

Yeah depending on the map the game will chew up 1.2+.
But it generally hovers between 950 and 1100 for me.

Turn off Anti-Aliasing and hope for the best.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So what's the verdict, the newest drivers fucked up or what? I can't say I have been experiencing anything odd but still you never know.

Smokey

TouchMyBox said:
But it's so pretty. :(

Is there any evidence to suggest that the game would benefit from me upping the clock speed on my CPU from 2.8GHz?

2.8ghz with a 580 and at that res? I think that's holding you back quite a bit.

ACE 1991 said:

Always better to get more (if you can), then less. Always.

Top Bottom