• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Performance thread

fanboi

Banned
So this stuttering issue.... is it the issue when the game frezeez for a few seconds and then gors back?

I have it :(

ACE 1991

Black_Stride said:
Yeah depending on the map the game will chew up 1.2+.
But it generally hovers between 950 and 1100 for me.

Turn off Anti-Aliasing and hope for the best.

Yep, I have ultra textures on with MSAA off and anti-aliasing post (or whatever it's called) on high, with all other settings set to high. Seems to stay 40+ FPRS most of the time in large battles. Wish I could play with more of a mix of ultra/high settings, but we all knew this game was going to be a beast so I guess I shouldn't complain.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
i5 2500K OC'd to 4.3GHz
8GB DDR3
GTX 570 Factory OC'd

Playing at 1920x1080 with 2xMSAA (I think, will need to double check) and everything set to Ultra. Campaign only at the moment, and performance has been incredibly smooth.

The game seems very well optimised so far, given the tech. Despite having a factory OC'd nVidia card, I'm not getting any black screens on boot, so yay for that.

Also, I'm running the drivers nVidia released for the beta, not the just released WHQL signed drivers. I'll install them tomorrow and see if there's any difference.

Sanic

Wish I could get this at a locked 60+ without lowering everything to medium, but I guess it wasn't meant to be :/ Only rocking a gtx 460 with a lower-end amd quad core.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Manager said:
Hmm? AA Deferred change MSAA. Maybe I missunderstand you, but you could just disable it there.

but Eurogamer quoted some presentation where Ultra = more tesselated ground and MSAA

Manager

subversus said:
but Eurogamer quoted some presentation where Ultra = more tesselated ground and MSAA

Ultra preset yes. You can customize it yourself and disable MSAA, among other things (see Settings screen in OP).

gray_fox224 said:
I can't even get the game to launch. Any one have this problem?

You gotta be more specific than that! See the OP if any of the problems listed match yours.

gray_fox224

Manager said:
Ultra preset yes. You can customize it yourself and disable MSAA, among other things (see Settings screen in OP).

You gotta be more specific than that!
Orgin starts to launch the game, but then all I get is a black screen....

So I upped my CPU to 3.36 GHz, and I'm now running Ultra with High Shadows and only 2x AA and it's pretty smooth now at 2560x1440.

For some reason, my CPU was actually underclocked to 2.5 GHz (sometimes my BIOS gets fuckitty)

big_z

Anyone playing this with a e8400 at stock and a 460/560gtx? If so how does it run and at what level of graphical setting?

Mafro

Runs great on my Dell XPS 17 laptop with a i7 2630QM, 6GB RAM, and Nvidia GT 555m. 1080p, everything defaulted to high apart from textures on ultra, SSAO and x2 MSAA (I think_. Not sure what the framerate is exactly, but it's definitely above 30.

mr stroke

quick suggestion-

My friends old rig-

AMD PII X3
4 gb RAM
ATI 4850
Windows Vista

is he better off buying the 360 version or running it on his old rig @720p res?

Liberty4all

Banned
I have everything set to high with the other extra options off (Antialising, etc) and I'm getting between 45 - 60 FPS depending on how much action is on the screen. It stays between 50 - 60 for the most part but will fall to high forty's if there's alot of action on the screen.

i5 2500k (overclocked to 4. something) MSI Twin Fozr II Nvidia 560ti factory OC to 880 mhz, and 8 gigs DDR3. Monitor is running at 1920X1080 native.

I've got a Q6600 OC'd to 3.0ghz and the game runs splendidly with settings mixed between ultra and high. I have a gtx 560ti in it too.

I think the game is more graphics card dependent, as long as you have 4 cores you'r good on the proc.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
mr stroke said:
quick suggestion-

My friends old rig-

AMD PII X3
4 gb RAM
ATI 4850
Windows Vista

is he better off buying the 360 version or running it on his old rig @720p res?
AT 720P it may be worth it still. But 360 is table and like PC on medium settings :)

fanboi said:
So this stuttering issue.... is it the issue when the game frezeez for a few seconds and then gors back?

I have it :(

this is what I would like to know. I get 3-4 second freezes whenever the game auto-saves. Everything is fine otherwise. But it auto-saves so often in campaign that its annoying.

Liberty4all

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
AT 720P it may be worth it still. But 360 is table and like PC on medium settings :)

I think it's worth it just for the bigger player count alone, even if it means playing at medium ...

Sorry to go a bit OT, as I haven't got BF3, but I figure the congregation of PC-GAF makes this a good place to ask; according to Nvidia's FAQ for their drivers you're not supposed to remove old drivers anymore. Since when has it been like this, and is this now the recommended practise?

Edit: Super, thanks.

PairOfFilthySocks said:
Sorry to go a bit OT, as I haven't got BF3, but I figure the congregation of PC-GAF makes this a good place to ask; according to Nvidia's FAQ for their drivers you're not supposed to remove old drivers anymore. Since when has it been like this, and is this now the recommended practise?
Almost a year I think. Their new installer does it for you IIRC

LiquidMetal14

Bamelin said:
I think it's worth it just for the bigger player count alone, even if it means playing at medium ...
Yep, this too. Games like this are better with more players. Especially if the maps are big.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
DennisK4 said:
Getting 60 fps makes me a sad panda.

Sheesh :/, how did you even survive with your 4870 or w/e you had before upgrading. Did you even play/enjoy pc-games?

LiquidMetal14

Corky said:
Sheesh :/, how did you even survive with your 4870 or w/e you had before upgrading. Did you even play/enjoy pc-games?
He certainly lives viscerally. What I recommend is running Crysis, Crysis 2, BFBC2, and BF3 all at once to stress his system enough for him to feel comfort knowing it's being fully utilized!

butts

What is the difference between the standard AA and post-process AA, and what gives better performance/image quality?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
TouchMyBox said:
So I upped my CPU to 3.36 GHz, and I'm now running Ultra with High Shadows and only 2x AA and it's pretty smooth now at 2560x1440.

For some reason, my CPU was actually underclocked to 2.5 GHz (sometimes my BIOS gets fuckitty)

Whats pretty smooth in FPS?

LiquidMetal14 said:
AT 720P it may be worth it still. But 360 is stable and like PC on low settings :)

Fixed.

subversus said:

If you use presets yes, ULTRA just sets everything to the highest.
But if you use Custom you can mix and match the different options.

butts said:
What is the difference between the standard AA and post-process AA, and what gives better performance/image quality?

Google MSAA...thats pretty much Deferred AA
Google FXAA...thats Post AA

Deferred will give much better visual quality, but also has a brutal hit on performance.
Post AA has a minimal affect on performance, and gives decent quality Anti-Aliasing.

If i had more VRam id hit up Deferred AA, but im already at 1100 of my 1280 card on some maps, i imagine Deferred will send that through the roof.

On the Operation Firestorm map, my ground textures are all screwed up. Random white squares spread out over a mostly black (or very dark) surface. Other maps seem fine (I have only played 2 others, though). Any ideas?

Update: Ok, this is now happening on another map. Every texture above ground level is completely fine. But the ground is totally messed up. Anyone else with this problem?

1080p, i7 2600s, hd 6850, 8 gb ram.

Textures ultra, shadows medium, everything else high. Msaa off, motion blur off, hb whatever on, 8x filter.

Getting a very playable 38 to 65 fps with the avg around 50.

I've gotten 2 blue screens because of this game now, and there is nothing I can do to make it run smooth. The beta was buttery compared to this.

5970 2GB
i7 @ 3.6
6GB ram

MrCompletely said:
I've got a Q6600 OC'd to 3.0ghz and the game runs splendidly with settings mixed between ultra and high. I have a gtx 560ti in it too.

I think the game is more graphics card dependent, as long as you have 4 cores you'r good on the proc.

Glad to hear that! Thats exactly what i have.
Good to know upgrading my graphics card allows me to run almost at highest on a game that just came out lol. I wonder how long it'll be before i'll need to upgrade again :(

1-D_FTW

Have the settings on Auto, but I'm getting the same massive lockups I was getting with the beta on Caspian. Must be a VRAM issue. Wish the auto-settings were smart enough to determine these things. First level that's given me any issues with those settings.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
AngryChinchilla said:
I've gotten 2 blue screens because of this game now, and there is nothing I can do to make it run smooth. The beta was buttery compared to this.

5970 2GB
i7 @ 3.6
6GB ram

Which drivers?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
1-D_FTW said:
Have the settings on Auto, but I'm getting the same massive lockups I was getting with the beta on Caspian. Must be a VRAM issue. Wish the auto-settings were smart enough to determine these things. First level that's given me any issues with those settings.

Game shouldn't lock up just because you run out of vram, it just stutters more because of lack of frame buffer.

Flambe

Juancho9 said:
Has anyone with stuttering or rubberbanding fixed their issues by rolling back to the beta drivers? GTX580 here.

Graphical stuttering on 560Ti here, tried both the brand new drivers and previous beta ones, no go.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
zazrx said:
i7 2.8ghz
GTX 570
6gbs
1920x1200

All set to ultra, 8x af 2x msaa i think?

Runs and looks amazing.

Really?
Amazing as in above 30 or amazing as in 60s

Putting Deferred AA on always fucks with my FPS.

Top Bottom