• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power 273 reviews (Mario 3D Land=9.0, Rayman Origins=9.5, X-Men Destiny=2.5)

Super Mario 3D Land: 9/10

+Different and great styles of Mario platforming for everyone
+Great 3D

-More advanced moves (long jump, somersaults) are completely optional.
-Not very creative

Overall: "A true triple-A title...Natural evolution of the series...Not as much content as Galaxies but still plenty..Blows away all of the previous handheld Marios."

Rayman Origins: 9.5/10 (Wii)

+Beautiful art
+Inspired soundtrack that amplifies the manic atmosphere
+Nothing plain or boring
+Extremely fluid
+Some of the "tightest" level design in the reviewers' 26 year experience with platformers
+Great at creating sense of momentum
+Perfect difficult
+Great multiplayer
+Always introducing new concepts

Overall: "Best Rayman game ever made. A platforming masterpiece."

Others:

Shinobi: 7.5
Pokemon Rumble Blast: 7.5
Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure: 7.0
Go Vacation: 7.0
Cooking Mama 4: 5.0
Fishing Resort: 7.5
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy: 7.5
Nano Assault: 7.0
X-Men Destiny: 2.5 (Wii), 2.0 (DS)
Back to the Future: The Game: 6.5
Mario & Sonic London Games: 7.0
Spider-Man: Edge of Time: 7.0 (Wii), 6.0 (3DS), 5.0 (DS)
Fossil Fighters: Champions: 8.0
Cave Story 3D: 8.0
Disney Universe: 4.5

Nintendo Power top 25 GameCube games of all time list:

1. RE4
2. Wind Waker
3. Twilight Princess
4. Melee
5. Metroid Prime
6. Soul Calibur II
7. SMS
8. Pikmin
9. Paper Mario: TTYD
10. REmake
11. Viewtiful Joe
12. Beyond Good & Evil
13. MKDD
14. Billy Hatcher
15. Luigi's Mansion
16. The Twin Snakes
17. The Sands of Time
18. Skies of Arcadia Legends
19. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
20. Rouge Squadron II
21. Tales of Symphonia
22. Four Swords Adventure
23. F-Zero GX
24. Animal Crossing
25. Ikaruga

Rayman outdoes Mario, eh? That game looked fucking fantastic from the very beginning.

Good scores for both, guess I know what my first two 3DS games will be.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nice review for Rayman. If you have the mag, did the review say anything more about the difficulty level other than that one bullet point?

Snuggler said:
Nice review for Rayman. If you have the mag, did the review say anything more about the difficulty level other than that one bullet point?

"Most players should be able to reach the finale with a bit of practice or a friend's helping hand. Those seeking a stiffer challenge will find it by attempting [descriptions of other challenges in game] and by the end you'll feel like a platforming deity."

Wait, Mario 3D Land didn't get a 10/10 in Nintendo's "own" magazine? Huh.

Neither did Mario Galaxy 2 IIRC.

Forgot that Cave Story 3D is coming out soon...but it's $40. :(

Good to see Super Mario 3D Land get a high score. I was worried about the game because it felt rushed for a earlier release. Good to see it's a great game.

Instro

bumpkin said:
Nintendo Power generally doesn't just hand out scores for Nintendo games, particularly since Future took over the magazine.

Feep

Banned
Having played both of these games at E3, I agree. Super Mario 3D Land felt...uninspired, somehow, while Rayman was like a painting come to life, with amazing level design. The co-op is unparalleled. Hats off to Ancel.

Medalion

Banned
bumpkin said:
It is a common misconception just because it is Nintendo's own magazine that they would print propaganda and give every major Nintendo release a perfect or excellent score but that's not the case most of the time... they are very very hard on their own games at times

BY2K

Membero Americo
bumpkin said:

Nintendo Power isn't published by Nintendo of America anymore. Now they are just a magazine specialized in Nintendo related stuff.

Cool. Solidifies my purchase of Rayman. Hopefully it'll sell and we'll get more retail 2D platformer goodness And less people saying "because it's a 2D game it should be on XBLA/PSN/iPhone/whatever for $5."

I still stand by my 3DS+PS3 purchase, for both 3D and HD.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
"Most players should be able to reach the finale with a bit of practice or a friend's helping hand. Those seeking a stiffer challenge will find it by attempting [descriptions of other challenges in game] and by the end you'll feel like a platforming deity."

Nice, thanks. Just compiling info for the OT and I was hoping to hear more on it's challenge level. Sounds good to me!

One other thing, does it mention the controls used for the Wii port? Does it support the CC, is there waggle, etc.

Jaded Alyx said:
I'm assuming that's Rayman Origins for Wii?

Yep. The 3DS version is still planned for sometime in 2012 along with the Vita port.

Well the impression that I got from trailers and gameplay videos is that Rayman really does seem to be better platformer than Mario so not really surprised.

Mario games seem to have a higher standard for creativity. Everything is done before in a Mario game so even the most generic Mario game from Nintendo is better than most platformers out there. Nintendo might have played it safe for 3D Land, which reminds me of the New Super Mario games. And they are great! It's probably like that.

And it's strange that Activision/Ubisoft is releasing Goldeneye 007 R and Rayman Origins so close to other major releases. And I know Rayman is an amazing game and worth every penny, but the price may turn people off to it especially for a 2D platformer.

Amir0x

Banned
it's Nintendo Power, but I know what I played of Rayman Origins at NYCC blew me the fuck away and what I played of Mario Land disappointed me deeply, so it definitely feels right that Rayman scored better. As a platforming aficionado, I can't goddamn wait for Rayman now.

Thoraxes

dvolovets said:
November 15th.
Snuggler said:
November 15th in the US, Nov 24th in Australia, and Nov 25th in the UK.
Well holy shit, that came fast. So many games in November!
I've always planned to buy it, but I have no idea what platform I want Rayman on at this point yet, and that decision is going to be very tough. Wii for PC emulation, PS3/360 so I can share with friends, handhelds so I can take it with me on my travels/commute.
Agh.

Nintendo Power didn't hand out perfect scores to any Nintendo game. I think the only 10/10 ever handed out by Nintendo Power was Metroid Prime 3. When I say that, I mean ever since Nintendo Power switched to rating their games with a score during the N64 era. When they changed to 5/5 era, there were plenty of games that received 5/5.

N4Us

I'm more interested in the Destiny reviews.

I remember they gave Superman 64 like a 4.0 at lowest.

rpmurphy said:
Surprisingly good score for Cave Story 3D.
It's received a few already.

Just because the visuals may seem poor, it's still the same game as before.

Plus apparently it has some of the best looking 3D to date.

N4Us said:
I'm more interested in the Destiny reviews.

I remember they gave Superman 64 like a 4.0 at lowest.

-Flat
-Repetitive
-Button masher
-Poor animation
-Awful camera
-terrible AI
-tons of visual glitches
-bosses are overpowered whereas grunts are underpowered
-Checkpoints are rare

And that's for the Wii version. For the DS version they said it was incredibly generic and boring and crashed frequently.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Can't find any release date information for the 3DS version. Has Ubisoft communicated on this?

Top Bottom