• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power 273 reviews (Mario 3D Land=9.0, Rayman Origins=9.5, X-Men Destiny=2.5)

Wow, Michael Ancel returns with a vengeance. Super Mario 3D land, Rayman, MK7 and Extreme Escape Adventure are really tempting me to get that 3DS. Hope that revision comes out soon, I just can't get behind the battery life and the single slidepad

Amir0x

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Wow, Michael Ancel returns with a vengeance. Super Mario 3D land, Rayman, MK7 and Extreme Escape Adventure are really tempting me to get that 3DS. Hope that revision comes out soon, I just can't get behind the battery life and the single slidepad

you owe it to the justice of humanity to play Rayman on the best quality screen you can. It is one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen in motion.

even if you can "only" get up to Wii quality on your tv, do it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Super Mario 3D Land: 9/10

+Different and great styles of Mario platforming for everyone
+Great 3D

-More advanced moves (long jump, somersaults) are completely optional.
-Not very creative

Overall: "A true triple-A title...Natural evolution of the series...Not as much content as Galaxies but still tons..Blows away all of the previous handheld Marios."

Wait, what?

FoneBone

Amir0x said:
you owe it to the justice of humanity to play Rayman on the best quality screen you can. It is one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen in motion.

Not only that, but there isn't any real info on the 3DS version yet. It's allegedly from a different developer than the console versions, and it might be gimped.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I haven't seen any preview of Rayman in its 3D version but it should be glorious with multiple parallax layers. Hope it's released this year :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nirolak said:
Ubisoft is pretty big on the "sending to die" thing.

I plan on picking up Rayman Origins before Skyrim, Batman PC and Saints Row 3, so Ubisoft better fucking appreciate it.

WillyFive

bumpkin said:
Wait, Mario 3D Land didn't get a 10/10 in Nintendo's "own" magazine? Huh.

Nintendo Power is very critical of games, sometimes too much (they find a small mistake and then they go on a rant on why the game sucks, which bugged me a lot on some reviews like the ones for LEGO Star Wars and Okami).

Nintendo Power used to be the official Nintendo magazine, but it hasn't really affected much their reviews (for good or bad).

Their next month stuff is just reviews of Skyward Sword and Mario Kart 7 and a buyer's guide, some nice previews in this issue though. Could post a little bit about those later.

Amir0x

Banned
FoneBone said:
Not only that, but there isn't any real info on the 3DS version yet. It's allegedly from a different developer than the console versions, and it might be gimped.

Even more reason to skip. Any alternative way is so far behind the beauty of Rayman in HD that it's almost an incomprehensible decision (unless you're getting it in addition to the console version of your choice, I call that "doing a Mejilan"). It really is one of the most stunningly gorgeous and lush titles I've ever seen in motion. I almost couldn't believe how good it looked, and I've seen videos and screens online before NYCC. In person, it's so astounding I just had my jaw open the entire time while playing it. That was before admiring how good the gameplay was, even in co-op.

Pai Pai Master said:
Why is Origins $59.99 :( I'm definitely gonna get it but it's screwed at that price.

Why wouldn't it be? Its got tons of content, has some of the best gameplay in any title this year, and has a robust and extremely entertaining co-op mode.

Is this one of those 2D games shouldn't be fully priced postS?

Ridley327

Brandon F said:
Wait, what?
Consider that the portable Mario games in the past decade have five ports and one actual new title that was heavily criticized for its lack of engaging level design and it's not such a crazy comment to make!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Everyone knows the real protagonist here is X-Men Destiny, right?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Amir0x said:
Even more reason to skip. Any alternative way is so far behind the beauty of Rayman in HD that it's almost an incomprehensible decision (unless you're getting it in addition to the console version of your choice, I call that "doing a Mejilan"). It really is one of the most stunningly gorgeous and lush titles I've ever seen in motion. I almost couldn't believe how good it looked, and I've seen videos and screens online before NYCC. In person, it's so astounding I just had my jaw open the entire time while playing it. That was before admiring how good the gameplay was, even in co-op.

The new engine Ubi developed for Rayman is really neat. Pretty much everything is hand drawn then dropped into the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_QhZYTukac

The exact quote that I simplified to not very creative is "One final quibble is that, while it's fun to revisit the nostalgic elements from past games-most of them from SMB3-Super Mario 3D Land doesn't introduce much that is entirely new (many of the same SMB3 components were brought back in NSMBW not too long ago. The game still manages to feel fresh because of the way it's presented, but for Mario's next outing, some totally new twists on the classic Super Mario formula would be welcome"

How come no review for Nano Assault? I hope it's not getting delayed.

It got a 7.0, I just didn't think it was that major so I didn't list it.

I really doubt Mario 3D Land has "TONS" of content that the excerpt claims. World on SNES probably will end up having more total levels and items/playtime to 100% completion.

Medalion

Banned
Basically it echoes another review from a diff magazine saying that this game is a very good game that is only dwarfed by the series superbly high standards because a lot of the levels and gameplay seem to be a collection of stuff from previous Mario games.
9/10 is a fair score.

Brandon F

Willy105 said:
What's the problem?

They said it evolves the formula, but lacks the content of the console games.

Forget I highlighted the part about content. I'm not in crazy-fan defensive mode here, so don't be confused. I just find humor in these two statements:

-Not very creative.

+Natural Evolution for the series.

Brandon F said:
Forget I highlighted the part about content. I'm not in crazy-fan defensive mode here, so don't be confused. I just find humor in these two statements:

I think they're pointing to the 3D when they say natural evolution though it does come off as pretty strange in the actual review as well.

Famassu

Comments about Rayman Origins level of challenge & its OST completely justify my pre-order of the Collector's Edition. I probably won't even have time to play it until mid-December, but at least I can eargasm to whatever Christophe Herál has composed for this game as soon as I get the game.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I'm not sure why you would think it's less major than some of the games you listed. It's pretty easily the best looking game on the 3DS so far.

Effect

Wasn't really that interested in Rayman (honestly never played one before) but might have to take a second look. Nintendo Power has usually be the only review source that tens to line up up how I view games over the years. Not the the deciding factor but looking forward to reading the review when my issue arrives.

I was hoping Nano Assault would get higher. I've been looking forward to that but will see what they say. For $30 I'm willing to take a chance on it.

Amir0x

Banned
thomasos said:
Rayman is friggin' awesome. Everyone please buy it.

i'm getting both the Vita version and the PS3 version, that's just how awesome Rayman Origins is. I need it inside me.

WillyFive

Brandon F said:

Natural evolution is a less negative way of saying that it's not creative.

If it was creative, they would be saying 'revolutionary', or 'radical'.

Peff

People are being too quick to write Rayman off like that, I think. It's obvious the game will not be selling several millions, but the Wii version should actually do very well considering how content-starved the system is and the type of game it is. I wouldn't have minded the inclusion of one or two Rabbids just to make sure, though. Whether the HD version bombs or not, at least we get what seems to be a fantastic 2D platformer that also looks gorgeous, so I'm not complaining.

Brandon F

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I think they're pointing to the 3D when they say natural evolution though it does come off as pretty strange in the actual review as well.

Yea, its quite the paradox. I'm more interested in the explanation than the actual game.

Danielsan

I'm going to be part of the problem and hold off on Rayman until I can get the Vita version. I need to play that game on that wonderful OLED screen.

Famassu

jetsetfluken said:
I really doubt Mario 3D Land has "TONS" of content that the excerpt claims. World on SNES probably will end up having more total levels and items/playtime to 100% completion.
Some spoilers about what 3D Land offers:

You might remember the bonus worlds from New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Galaxy 2, but what would you say if you got even more of the gameplay you know and love? Well, that is the case here. After you save the princess, there are eight new unlockable bonus worlds, which can be opened by up one by one through Star Medals. These are almost new full-featured worlds with redux levels, time attacks and sometimes brand new content. A good example is the Propeller level filled with the 8-bit sprites from more than 25 years ago. In the redux level, you will only not see new sprites, but the stage is entirely based around shooting your way through cannons. There is also more enemy fire, with one platform filled with Bullet Bills (sometimes even with Tanooki tails). Star Coins are also harder to grasp, with more precision needed to complete certain objectives and tasks. In another bonus level I experienced, Cosmic Mario made a return. This shadow version of the plumber will follow you all around the stage and when he hits you, you lose your precious power-up.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/28228

Seems like there IS a lot of content even after you've seen the credits. Even if not all of it is completely new.

FoneBone said:

The Vita version is as well, IIRC (I think they're both from the team at Ubisoft Casablanca that did Rabbids 3D), but the platform makes it less likely that it'll be significantly compromised.

...not that I think 3DS couldn't handle a competent port of Origins, just that I doubt that this team will be able to pull it off. I predict 30fps with slowdown and tons of missing graphical effects, even if all the levels are intact.

daakusedo

What video I need to watch about rayman?
I just saw an old trailer and another with the dudes running endlessly the entire time.
So I wasn't thinking about tight level design but now that it get mentionned...

Brandon F

Willy105 said:
Natural evolution is a less negative way of saying that it's not creative.

If it was creative, they would be saying 'revolutionary', or 'radical'.

Evolution is still a poor word. Evolution implies change or diversity adapted from established origins, even if it is "natural"(ie. lazy? uncreative? bound to fucking happen?), evolution is still a bold phrase that imparts a paradigm shift. "Radical" and "Revolutionary" don't really differentiate from 'evolution' based on "creative" forces.

This is, of course, a dumb thing to get hung up on. But let's not twist the meaning of words to satisfy the subject.

Celine

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Please, could you do a brief summary when I you have time ?

EDIT:
Also no Kirby score ?

Do they say something new about Tekken 3D ?

fernoca

Darn and all the unlockable/content that was recently posted about Mario 3D Land..I need it now! (2 weeks! :( )

SSJ1Goku

Banned
Amir0x said:
Vita version here I come.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
StevieP said:
Vita and 3DS versions are outsourced. Get a console version.
bbbbut the OLED screen....damn.....I'll wait and see if the Vita version is well made, if not then I will get the PS3 version.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Amir0x said:

I'm gonna be honest with you Amir0x, I don't have a damn clue about Rayman Origins. I've played through Rayman 2 on Dreamcast way back when, and I partook in Raving Rabbids on Wii, and that has been the extent of my experience with the franchise. I have played BGaE, and loved it, so I recognize Ancel's talent. If you say it's a gorgeous game that is pushing the platforming genre, then it's definitely got my attention.

Edit- well now, ps3 is supported. Well that solves that

Top Bottom