• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power 273 reviews (Mario 3D Land=9.0, Rayman Origins=9.5, X-Men Destiny=2.5)

fernoca

Celine said:
EDIT:
Also no Kirby vote ?
Return to Dreamland?
Was reviewed on the previous issue.
Rating: 8.5
Basically, one of the best Kirby games; but the multiplayer can get chaotic sometimes (plus they all share lives and if the player playing as Kirby dies everyone goes with him), visuals are impressive but not as unique as Epic Yarn, not enough enemy variety.

StevieP

Banned
SSJ1Goku said:
bbbbut the OLED screen....damn.....I'll wait and see if the Vita version is well made, if not then I will get the PS3 version.

Even if the Vita version turns out OK, you're better off playing it on your HDTV via PS3.

Amir0x

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
I'm gonna be honest with you Amir0x, I don't have a damn clue about Rayman Origins. I've played through Rayman 2 on Dreamcast way back when, and I partook in Raving Rabbids on Wii, and that has been the extent of my experience with the franchise. I have played BGaE, and loved it, so I recognize Ancel's talent. If you say it's a gorgeous game that is pushing the platforming genre, then it's definitely got my attention.

Edit- well now, ps3 is supported. Well that solves that

I'll put it this way. I was excited for Rayman Origins, true, but I had reservations - about the co-op and about getting bogged down since it became a retail game instead of a download game. Maybe it wouldn't justify its price and would feel sort of, well, half-cocked for lack of a better word.

Rayman Origins surpassed my expectations by so many hundred times it was possibly the biggest "kiosk" surprise I've had since Super Mario World release in Toys R Us in New York. It was astounding in virtually every way I could think of. Audio, Visuals, gameplay... it's polished to such a fine degree it might as well be a Nintendo platformer. For the demo, anyway, it proved the game demands attention. If it fulfills even 75% of the potential that was in the demo during the course of the full game, it'll be a masterpiece

Snuggler said:
The Gamescom footage was pretty good, it's straight gameplay footage instead of quick cuts like most of the trailers.

pt. 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z07P9Ct7GX8
pt. 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt9ESiM8qI0&feature=related

I'll be honest. I'm not very impressed with Rayman's graphics. It lacks the style and lush environments from the original 2D game. I mean, the 2D art is nice in the new game, but everything looks so barren and empty from what I've seen.

Amir0x said:
I'll put it this way...

Rayman Origins surpassed my expectations by so many hundred times it was possibly the biggest "kiosk" surprise I've had since Super Mario World release in Toys R Us in New York. It was astounding in virtually every way I could think of. Audio, Visuals, gameplay... it's polished to such a fine degree it might as well be a Nintendo platformer. For the demo, anyway, it proved the game demands attention. If it fulfills even 75% of the potential that was in the demo during the course of the full game, it'll be a masterpiece
You're equating the demo to the first time you experienced SMW? Wow. That's a hell of a testimonial. You know, the older I get, and the more games I play, the harder it is for me to experience that "magical" feeling that gaming used to provide me. I know I'm not alone in that sentiment. I'm glad I chose to wander into this thread, because RO was not on my radar before. Consider me officially hyped.

emb

Pretty sure Rayman has gone from a 'probably' to a definitely for me. Should be fun.

Curious about the Nanostray and Shinobi reviews, looking forward to reading them. I'll leaning towards getting both. The score are fine, but I kinda want to read a couple of reviews. Nice to see a good score for Cave Story as well.

Those griping about Rayman Origins' price should do well to remember that it's releasing a week before Black Friday. Knowing Ubisoft, it'll most assuredly be $40 that day. A little easier to stomach, if you ask me. I'm definitely getting both the PS3 and Vita versions.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dr.Hadji said:
Tight level design huh? I'll reseve final judgement until I play the game but that don't instill any confidence.

To be fair, that could be early in the game, before the challenge ramps up. I guess we won't know for sure until we play it ourselves.

Boney

Banned
getting rayman on Wii because

a) don't have an hd tv
b) only got 1 pad on 360 so multi would be out of the question.

might/probably will pick it up on vita later though

Codeblue

I didn't know they outsourced the handheld versions. This is super disappointing news. Guess I'm getting a console version then.

Did they ever say who they outsourced to?

Dr.Hadji

Snuggler said:
To be fair, that could be early in the game, before the challenge ramps up. I guess we won't know for sure until we play it ourselves.

Well, tight level design isn't dependent on complexities you might encounter further along in the game. I would say SMB 1-1 has tight design. But to be fair, I know how and what Nintendo is trying to convey down to every tile in SMB. That and people tend to make these games look poor during early playthroughs.

Gomu Gomu

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Rayman Origins: 9.5/10 (Wii)

+Beautiful art
+Inspired soundtrack that amplifies the manic atmosphere
+Nothing plain or boring
+Extremely fluid
+Some of the "tightest" level design in the reviewers' 26 year experience with platformers
+Great at creating sense of momentum
+Perfect difficult
+Great multiplayer
+Always introducing new concepts

Overall: "Best Rayman game ever made. A platforming masterpiece."
Holy shit :eek:.
This is going to be the GOTY nobody appreciates this year. I can feel it.

Silkworm

Boney said:
getting rayman on Wii because

a) don't have an hd tv
b) only got 1 pad on 360 so multi would be out of the question.

might/probably will pick it up on vita later though
Not sure if it would influence where you buy Rayman Origins, but Amazon.com if offering an art book for free with preorders of the game. They state "Order Rayman Origins and get the Amazon.com exclusive The Art Of Rayman Origins art book, a 48-page deluxe hardcover art book created by Ubisoft's UbiArt studio included in your shipment." That seems like a good deal to me and you don't have to buy some sort of collector's edition to obtain the art book :)

braves01

Banned
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
-More advanced moves (long jump, somersaults) are completely optional.

Um, this is kind of concerning. Does optional mean you only need them if you want to get the medals and stuff, or does it mean totally optional?

hatchx

Banned
This makes the wait harder to Rayman. I was really keen on picking it up for 3DS next year. It will be hard seeing the rave reviews.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My phallus is erect for Rayman, and I have a solid chub for Mario 3D too.

kunonabi

Won't be able to get Rayman until later. UMVC3, KoFXIII, and SS pretty much own the rest of gaming budget. Thankfully I just bought Rayman 2 for the Dreamcast so I can finally playthough that. I'll probably wait till the 3DS reviews to make a decision on which console to pick it up for.

bumpkin

Instro said:
Nintendo Power generally doesn't just hand out scores for Nintendo games, particularly since Future took over the magazine.
Ah, I stand corrected then. I had an NP subscription way, way back. Haven't paid any attention to it in recent years.

NP also did top 20 GameCube games ever. Their list:

1. RE4
2. Wind Waker
3. Twilight Princess
4. Melee
5. Metroid Prime
6. Soul Calibur II
7. SMS
8. Pikmin
9. Paper Mario: TTYD
10. REmake
11. Viewtiful Joe
12. Beyond Good & Evil
13. MKDD
14. Billy Hatcher
15. Luigi's Mansion
16. The Twin Snakes
17. The Sands of Time
18. Skies of Arcadia Legends
19. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
20. Rouge Squadron II
21. Tales of Symphonia
22. Four Swords Adventure
23. F-Zero GX
24. Animal Crossing
25. Ikaruga

Overall, pretty bad list there.

braves01 said:
Um, this is kind of concerning. Does optional mean you only need them if you want to get the medals and stuff, or does it mean totally optional?

It doesn't sound like Nintendo Power found much of a use for the advanced moves at all with the level design though the text is unclear.

Please, could you do a brief summary when I you have time ?

It was a horribly shitty one paragraph review that just described what the game was about and said some of the control was weird without a second stick.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

1. RE4
2. Wind Waker
3. Twilight Princess
4. Melee
5. Metroid Prime
6. Soul Calibur II
7. SMS
8. Pikmin
10. REmake
11. Viewtiful Joe
12. Beyond Good & Evil
13. MKDD
14. Billy Hatcher
15. Luigi's Mansion
16. The Twin Snakes
17. The Sands of Time
20. Rouge Squadron II
21. Tales of Symphonia
23. F-Zero GX
24. Animal Crossing
25. Ikaruga

It doesn't sound like Nintendo Power found much of a use for the advanced moves at all with the level design though the text is unclear.

It was a horribly shitty one paragraph review that just described what the game was about and said some of the control was weird without a second stick.
I'm literally laughing my ass off here at the notion that anybody would think that Billy Hatcher was a better game than F-Zero GX!

wondermega

Cool, good to hear about Shinobi. 7.5 sounds very doable, especially as there's been much cynicism around gaf for this game. True, screenshots don't look very promising, but the video (and design) looked respectful of the source material, as well as could be expected from a Western dev handling that franchise so many years later (all things considered). Looking forward to seeing the final verdict around here.

ivysaur12

Banned
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

1. RE4
2. Wind Waker
3. Twilight Princess
4. Melee
5. Metroid Prime
6. Soul Calibur II
7. SMS
8. Pikmin
10. REmake
11. Viewtiful Joe
12. Beyond Good & Evil
13. MKDD
14. Billy Hatcher
15. Luigi's Mansion
16. The Twin Snakes
17. The Sands of Time
20. Rouge Squadron II
21. Tales of Symphonia
23. F-Zero GX
24. Animal Crossing
25. Ikaruga

That list. Holy shit :lol

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
X-Men Destiny: 2.5 (Wii), 2.0 (DS)

xoh2mt.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
nincompoop said:
I'm literally laughing my ass off here at the notion that anybody would think that Billy Hatcher was a better game than F-Zero GX!

or that Pikmin II, one of the greatest games ever made, is not even graced.

What an embarrassment list, even by list standards.

Kazerei

Banned
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

Wow. Billy Hatcher being on there is ridiculous. Luigi's Mansion, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, and Four Swords Adventures are all very questionable. And no Metroid Prime 2, Eternal Darkness, Fire Emblem, or Super Monkey Ball? Try harder next time, NP.

Boney

Banned
Really? There's a few stinkers, but the list is really solid.

Kazerei said:
Wow. Billy Hatcher being on there is ridiculous. Luigi's Mansion, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, and Four Swords Adventures are all very questionable. And no Metroid Prime 2, Eternal Darkness, Fire Emblem, or Super Monkey Ball? Try harder next time, NP.
yo whaaaaaaat

I can understand not everyone got to experience Four Swords Adventures the (zomg so awesome fun) way it was supposed to be played so might not rate it, but Donkey Kong Jungle Beat............ was amazing. I will not stand for any doubting its awesomeness.

List already failed without Baten Kaitos Origins anyway.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The greatest travesty of that list is Metroid Prime not being No.1.

hyduK

Banned
1. RE4
2. Wind Waker
3. Twilight Princess
4. Melee
5. Metroid Prime
6. Soul Calibur II
7. SMS
8. Pikmin
10. REmake
11. Viewtiful Joe
12. Beyond Good & Evil
13. MKDD
14. Billy Hatcher
15. Luigi's Mansion
16. The Twin Snakes
17. The Sands of Time
20. Rouge Squadron II
21. Tales of Symphonia
23. F-Zero GX
24. Animal Crossing
25. Ikaruga

What the fuck...I don't even...

Eternal Darkness isn't even on there (but Billy Hatcher and Luigi's Mansion are)

WW and TP both above MP....

hyduK

Banned
nincompoop said:
Every list has to have some niche title that some readers might not have heard of, gives credibility.

Top Bottom