• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft sends GAF a Cease and Desist notice over Mass Effect 3 Spoilers

Holy shit Bioware. Wow. GAF needs to make a list of places for those who posted comments on demo to hide. You are welcome at my house bros.

Ram64.gif

Pranay

faulty_fork said:
Uhm I don't really see what's so bad about Bioware/EA trying to prevent the posting of end game spoilers that could ruin the game for lots of people. Some of you are acting like they're the devil on a crusade to take down Neogaf.

They could probably have handled it better, but it's a pretty tough situation for them when the ending leaks this far in advance for a story heavy game like mass effect.

They could had done it a better way but i can under stand why EA or Bioware would do this.

Dennis

Banned
Oh, Bioware.

From hero to zero in only a few years.

Release two fantastic RPGs in Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins - one sci-fi and one fantasy. Only to throw it all away with ME2 and DA2.

And now this.....

Nista

The true ending to ME3 wasn't even in the spoilers...
The Citadel ends up being a tiny model in young Shepard's snowglobe.

Zeliard

jim-jam bongs said:
"Guys we swear, all the stuff you liked is correct but all the stuff you hate is based on outdated information!"

"Outdated information" is the new wardrobe malfunction, minus bonus nudity.

Vamphuntr

wolfmat said:
Maybe they've got a lot more content than it seems from that build, and they could, you know, shift stuff around, directors-cut it, editorialize it, shit like that? You don't know.

It happened a lot in the past with Bioware. For instance, we know that at some point ME2 was supposed to begin with Liara trying to recover Shepard's body. Someone on SA that worked on the game revealed this. Voice files in the final retail code confirms this. We also know that they heavily modified the structure of the game and the role of Legion in ME2 as to what it was supposed to be. There are 2 waves of character recruitments in the final retail, yet they've recorded VA for banter combinatiosn that are not available in the retail game (like Thane and Legion commenting on the plague of Mordin's mission). It was at some point possible to recruit anyone in any order.

We also know that they had the both Hale and Meer record the whole script in ME1, even stuff that was gender specific or lines for romances. Voice files are still in the game.

So yeah it seems they flip flop often.

The thing is that ME3 is 5 months away. They would have to rewrite the script and call back all of the actors if they want to modify the thing properly. They also still have to QA the whole thing. If they learned something from the DAII backlash is that they have to improve their QA and seeing how they are carefully trying to damage control everything related to the game, I'm fairly sure they will try to have it as bug free as possible.

Beth Cyra

faulty_fork said:
Uhm I don't really see what's so bad about Bioware/EA trying to prevent the posting of end game spoilers that could ruin the game for lots of people. Some of you are acting like they're the devil on a crusade to take down Neogaf.

They could probably have handled it better, but it's a pretty tough situation for them when the ending leaks this far in advance for a story heavy game like mass effect.
That doesn't make it okay to censor people who didn't break NDA or hack their software.

As it stands, no one on Gaf had Spoilers ruin the game for them unless they choose it so themselves, they were all tagged and kept in one thread.

At least here there was no way for people to have the game ruined or whatever the excuse was until shit hit the fan.

Vire

Vamphuntr said:
It happened a lot in the past with Bioware. For instance, we know that at some point ME2 was supposed to begin with Liara trying to recover Shepard's body. Someone on SA that worked on the game revealed this. Voice files in the final retail code confirms this. We also know that they heavily modified the structure of the game and the role of Legion in ME2 as to what it was supposed to be. There are 2 waves of character recruitments in the final retail, yet they've recorded VA for banter combinatiosn that are not available in the retail game (like Thane and Legion commenting on the plague of Mordin's mission). It was at some point possible to recruit anyone in any order.

We also know that they had the both Hale and Meer record the whole script in ME1, even stuff that was gender specific or lines for romances. Voice files are still in the game.

So yeah it seems they flip flop often.

The thing is that ME3 is 5 months away. They would have to rewrite the script and call back all of the actors if they want to modify the thing properly. They also still have to QA the whole thing. If they learned something from the DAII backlash is that they have to improve their QA and seeing how they are carefully trying to damage control everything related to the game, I'm fairly sure they will try to have it as bug free as possible.
Who knows, maybe this whole backlash will be a positive thing and they'll end up modifying the story to improve it as a result of all this.

EviLore said:
Initiated from Microsoft representatives, to be clear.
So Microsoft sent the letter? If so, feel free to change the thread title.

shaneskim

Nista said:
The true ending to ME3 wasn't even in the spoilers...
The Citadel ends up being a tiny model in young Shepard's snowglobe.

I heard that they find Shepherd in the shower and it's all been a dream.

Beth Cyra

Vire said:
Who knows, maybe this whole backlash will be a positive thing and they'll end up modifying the story to improve it as a result of all this.
They already pushed the ship date once, I don't see them pushing and rewriting the game as well as recoding everything that would have to be replaced to fit the new senario's and such.

DennisK4 said:
Oh, Bioware.

From hero to zero in only a few years.

Release two fantastic RPGs in Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins - one sci-fi and one fantasy. Only to throw it all away with ME2 and DA2.

And now this.....

so true.

Shanadeus

Banned
Cease and desist notice over spoilers?
That sounds mighty suspicious, like they want people to buy their games before seeing the stuff Bioware hasn't released for one reason or another.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Vamphuntr said:
The QA part is important, of course. But when it comes to the script, after experiencing the disjointed weirdness that is ME2, if they keep that up, there's not much rewriting to be done.

I mean, you could easily pluck out some stuff in ME2 and replace it with other randomness, and still end up with essentially the same game.

Zeliard

Vire said:

With a release date of March it's probably too late for anything like that.

EschatonDX said:
Am I the only one who thought ME1 was a clunky chore and preferred the sequel?
No. ME2 is one of my favorite games ever, and I'd probably kill myself if I had to play through the first one again.
That means I'm probably going to get ME3 new, which makes me a very bad man.

Omikaru

Just coming in here to express my disgust over Bioware's C&D tactics, like I did on the last pa--

EviLore said:
Initiated from Microsoft representatives, to be clear.
I said wow.

I guess this is Microsoft trying to "make up" for the trouble they've caused, then? Not owning the IP or even publishing ME3, do they even have a strong argument to do this?

I'll assume so since the thread was nuked, but christ.

Solo

This whole thing is a comedy of errors all around. Incompetent team at Bioware makes shitty game. Incompetent doofus at MS uploads it. GAF pays for it.

Top Bottom