• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Samurai & Dragons on Vita (Director of Jet Set Radio), FFXIII-2 scores 40/40

Takao

Banned
NEWS:

[PSV] Samurai & Dragons (SEGA) Announced
  • Dungeon city builder
  • From chief producer Masayoshi Kikuchi, producer of Yakuza, director of Jet Set Radio and planner of the Panzer Dragoon series.
  • Playable this month at JUMP Festa

[PS360] Dead or Alive 5 (Tecmo Koei)

• 15% done
  • Release in 2012

REVIEWS:

[PS3]
  • Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru (Chunsoft) - 37/40 (10, 9, 9, 9)

[PS360]
  • Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Square Enix) - 40/40 (10, 10, 10, 10)

[3DS]
  • Monster Hunter TriG (Capcom) - 38/40 (10, 10, 9, 9)

[PSP]
  • Lord of Apocalypse (Square Enix) - 34/40 (9, 9, 8, 8)

Will update as more news breaks.

Amir0x

Banned
"Dungeon City Builder" sounds like a winner to me

The game will have an action part, where you and three friends explore a dungeon, facing off against beasts and making your way to the final floor where a boss awaits. There's also a city building component. You'll build up your city, which serves as your base of operation. Your overall goal is to expand your land and take over the entire nation.

Oh yeah, definitely a winner

MightyKAC

From chief producer Masayoshi Kikuchi, producer of Yakuza, director of Jet Set Radio and planner of the Panzer Dragoon series.

Oh my, this appears to be very relevant to my interests!!

Bebpo

Banned
Why? I can't see that working in a high fantasy setting.

?? Stylized cell-shading works great for fantasy settings. Especially works great when trying to keep the budget down for handheld games and not do complex models/texturing.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I am going to put my excited Sega fan face on, but will temper it with a knowledge that somewhere along the line they might just botch this up totally.

I'm super mega not getting excited about this but EXCITED!

Coxy

sega's Game sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing it

cmooooon .hack news :( pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Any clue on the production? Something big budget-like similar to some of the series name dropped here or a cheapo title like Recettear?

I'd hope it's their take on Monster Hunter with a twist rather than Recettear with co-op...

Would have been pretty amazing if they set it in the Panzer Dragoon universe instead of something so generic though.

Exploring the deserted world, finding ancient ruins, Towers and such, with unique puzzles, fighting their Guardians and the occasional Dragon unit... Playing as seekers, hunters, imperials, etc... Aaah, they had created such an amazing universe, they don't have to shelve all of it just because they're not doing the main series anymore :(

Edit: saw the scans, not what I was hoping for... Not Recettear cheapo level but still...

?? Stylized cell-shading works great for fantasy settings. Especially works great when trying to keep the budget down for handheld games and not do complex models/texturing.

Now that I agree with, but originally you said you "Hope the art style is like JSR". JSR is all about bright, pastel colors and I don't see that specific look working well with high fantasy.

JSR has a unique style and it's unfair to just lump it with anything else that's cel-shaded.

Reptiles and Samurai, you say?

laughingelfman.jpg

Grimmy

Banned
Any clue on the production? Something big budget-like similar to some of the series name dropped here or a cheapo title like Recettear?

I'd hope it's their take on Monster Hunter with a twist rather than Recettear with co-op...

Would have been pretty amazing if they set it in the Panzer Dragoon universe instead of something so generic though.

Exploring ancient ruins, Tpwers and such, with unique puzzles, and fighting their Guardians and the occasional Dragon type... Playing as seekers, hunters, imperials, etc...

Aaah, they had created such an amazing universe, they don't have to shelve all of it just because they're not doing the main series anymore :(

Considering that it has samurais, I think these won't be the kind of Western dragons that you think they might be...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The only reviews of FFXIII-2 I'll trust are GAF opinions.
Really? :lol I'm glad I don't listen to GAF, otherwise I wouldn't have played the following games:

Every single game in existence except Demon's Souls and Dark Souls

So FF13-2 is JUST AS GOOD as skyrim?

Considering how bug-infested skyrim was to get away with a 40/40, it's fair to say FF13-2 will blow chunks

edit: Beaten...REALLY?!?!

Aeana

I feel like I don't need to say anything about Famitsu scores since it wasn't even 12 hours since the last time I did.

7Th

Skyward Sword, Skyrim and FFXIII-2, 3 40/40's in a single year? Best year for gaming confirmed.

Regardless of whether the game is good or not (I'm hoping it is), I have a hard time taking any review of any game seriously when it comes from Famitsu.

XIII-2 could be great, but I doubt Famitsu even goes into any legit detail about why it is. I'll pick up the issue when it comes out, just cause I'm interested, but damn. How many perfect scores have they given out in the past 5 years?

matmanx1

Considering the pedigree, the new SEGA game interests me. And 40/40 for XIII-2? Well, at least we know it's superior to XIII!

Top Bottom