• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Samurai & Dragons on Vita (Director of Jet Set Radio), FFXIII-2 scores 40/40

Wouldn't surprise me. They have similar art styles and the exact same premise (action co-op with city building elements). Anyone with an iOS device can play it for free - good luck understanding any of it though, as it's the most frustratingly obtuse game I've ever played.

I'm gonna try it later today out of curiosity although I feel that they are a bit different .

Dude.

FPMyul.jpg

You can dress up behemoths in bowties.

This game looks bonkers.

So MHTriG is more likely to be a better game than FFXIII-2 because it got a 38, while FF got a 40. I'm not being facetious, this is highly likely.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I feel like I don't need to say anything about Famitsu scores since it wasn't even 12 hours since the last time I did.
I guess I was wrong.
I mean, it was only 9 hours ago.
You'll never find out, because nobody actually cares about the text, only [being outraged/masturbating] (depending on personal position) over numbers.

But also it doesn't matter, because Famitsu has the same empty praise prepared for any game it gives a 40 to.
I care because lots of people don't understand just how corrupted Famitsu is. It's not even comparable to other publications, to be honest.

I'm personally sure that FF13-2 is a great game, but whether Famitsu says so or not has no meaning to me. But sure, carry on.
I never thought I would see the day Aeana had a breakdown.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Will buy 2 weeks after release when it's 1500 yen at the local Geo. Won't trick me twice! Though I got 13 packed in with the console..

Takao

Banned
AndriaSang has more info on Samurai & Dragons. It is not a port of Kingdom Conquest, but is meant to be a similar game. It's on Vita due to the fact Vita's always online (3G yo). The game is being made by the newly formed Online Entertainment Research Department, a team formed of former Yakuza staff.

Jonnyram

AndriaSang has more info on Samurai & Dragons. It is not a port of Kingdom Conquest, but is meant to be a similar game. It's on Vita due to the fact Vita's always online (3G yo). The game is being made by the newly formed Online Entertainment Research Department, a team formed of former Yakuza staff.
OMG FLASH GAME!

mclem

The game will have an action part, where you and three friends explore a dungeon, facing off against beasts and making your way to the final floor where a boss awaits. There's also a city building component. You'll build up your city, which serves as your base of operation. Your overall goal is to expand your land and take over the entire nation.

Sounds like a more strategic Dark Cloud

Cautiously interested. The designer has a reasonable pedigree, and it sounds fun.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Dungeon hacking + city building is one of my favorite combinations in games ever... and I'm a huge fan of SEGA RPGs. So it's nice to see a brand new IP with all this in place.

Spiegel

sonicmj1

What's there to discuss? There's a reason why I stopped translating and posting threads about Famitsu reviews years ago, and there's a reason why the Japanese guys posting Famitsu news don't even transcribe or summarize the review text anymore. No one cares. It's really pointless.

Can you humor us just this once, to remind us why we shouldn't care?

Dude.

FPMyul.jpg

You can dress up behemoths in bowties.

Are those... natures? These monsters have different innate attributes that affect stats?

Oh no. This looks like some real fucking trouble here.

duckroll

Can you humor us just this once, to remind us why we shouldn't care?

The Famitsu review format is the template that EGM based their review format on. Every issue there are 4 reviewers from a pool of available reviewers. Not always the same people. They are each given a tiny box to fix in a few sentences as a "review" with a number score.

A typical entry looks like this:

Reviewer Abe: The game is thrilling and exciting. I really feel the sense of adventure from the nice environments and high quality graphics. There is a lot to explore. There are things to do after you complete the game as well. 9.

As you can see, this isn't particularly informative. There is often nothing in a Famitsu review which you cannot already gather from previews or a trailer. It's just a short blurb about general impressions of the game. It's impossible to tell how much such a "reviewer" has played the actual game, or what their deep personal thoughts are on the game itself. Because there is nothing worthwhile in the text, people tend to fixate on the score instead.

But this is also pointless. Why? Let's assume that Famitsu is not corrupt, and there is no moneyhatting whatsoever. Let's say every single score is what the actual individual reviewer submits. So what? With such superficial reviews, a 40/40 would just mean that the luck of the draw that week picked four reviewers who decided that the game was a 10, and not a 9, or an 8. So what? If none of the reviewers have credibility, why does that matter?

On the other hand, we have actual evidence from people who have worked in the Japanese publishing industry and game publishers, that Famitsu is basically a weekly ad magazine. Not only do game publishers pay for actual ads, but they also pay for previews and coverage of their games. If you see a niche game get very tiny quarter page coverage from the mag, it is because the publisher could not afford to pay Famitsu to hype up the game more. If you see a game get a 8 page spread when it is announced, that is all paid for. It doesn't mean Famitsu felt that was a title of public interest which they had to report on. It is heavily implied, although never outright admitted, that Famitsu's review scores are filtered by their editors, and that the amount of previews and ads a certain game had bought in Famitsu has a direct link to the score it receives at the end.

The head editor of Famitsu himself has also admitted in an interview a few years back that he is basically unable to give a terrible review score to big titles. I cannot remember what his exact words were, but he was talking about how review scores have a big impact on even retailer orders in terms of initial shipments for games, and because of that factor, he feels that it would be socially irresponsible to give poor reviews which might have a significant impact on huge titles.

Considering all these facts. Why should anyone give a flying turd about Famitsu reviews? Seriously.

sonicmj1

*Famitsu sucks*

I know why Famitsu reviews are useless. I know it doesn't matter at all. I get why people don't want to bother. I'm just the curious type.

Luckily, 1UP is willing to translate meaningless things.

Example of Famitsu reviewing insight:
Famitsu said:
"It feels like a very different game from its predecessor; the story changes depending on where you choose to go in your time-traveling journey, and it's easy to lose yourself in changing and redoing areas you've previously finished."

Famicom Tsuuchin - Famicom (news/correspondance/communication)

Tsuushin :p Tsuuchin almost sounds kinda dirty :D

Also, in the final screenshot, the black banner above the top talks about a 2-hour regularly scheduled maintenance. MMO vibes. (Which is why I'm forcing myself to buy the 3G system --- when and IF one of these games is fucking awesome, I want to be able to play it on the train).

Top Bottom