• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Samurai & Dragons on Vita (Director of Jet Set Radio), FFXIII-2 scores 40/40

An entertaining score and a potential cult hit. Nice work Famitsu. Looking forward to Samurai & Dragons getting some gameplay videos up and running.

I'm also buying 13-2 against the naysaying in my head.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I've seen scans for Samurai & Dragons. Looks very weird...

They're blurry actually. But from what I've seen... They look nothing like JSR. :p

randomkid

Nintendogs deserved high scores. It was a fantastic piece of software.

I only called out Nintendogs cuz I remember it was the first this generation to get that score. Turns out Smash is a better turning point choice since 2008 was the beginning of Famitsu's apparent multiple perfect scores a year allotment.

Takao

Banned
They're blurry actually. But from what I've seen... They look nothing like JSR. :p

I meant weird in play style. There's some weird city building aspect, then a behind the shoulder view of a guy confronting a dragon, and an above shot of them being chased by a dragon.

Sinople

I can't wait to read the reviews for FFXIII-2.
I love how the ones for Skyrim were basically: "the game is full of flaws but still worth playing. 10/10"...

I'm just curious. Has there ever actually been documented proof -- or proof of any sort -- that Famitsu is as corrupted as many GAFers testify, or is it all conjecture and infuriated comments towards games that clearly don't deserve near-perfect scores (FFXIII, 39/40)?

Amir0x

Banned
I mean, it was only 9 hours ago.

keep up the good fight. One day people will listen to this instead of just grasping on to the latest bit of self-congratulatory news that can confirm whatever innate opinion one has formed before even touching the game. One day. But today is not that day...

...at least for as long as I've ever seen it, people are still like "wow, Famitsu 39/40, I wonder what the text says" instead of "LOLOLOL Famitsu".

Ridley327

I'm just curious. Has there ever actually been documented proof -- or proof of any sort -- that Famitsu is as corrupted as many GAFers testify, or is it all conjecture and infuriated comments towards games that clearly don't deserve near-perfect scores (FFXIII, 39/40)?

I forget who posted it, but someone actually described how their reviews go through a review process from the publisher of said game and they can offer their own input on what the "proper" score should be.

Amir0x

Banned
I forget who posted it, but someone actually described how their reviews go through a review process from the publisher of said game and they can offer their own input on what the "proper" score should be.

The funniest was when Andrew Vestal ( I think it was ) laid down the smack about how Dirge of Cerberus, the shittiest shit that ever shitted, STILL managed to net Famitsu's silver award of 7/7/7/7. I mean, the game was barely playable it was so much garbage and it still couldn't merit anything less than silver because it was Squeenix and, well, that's a gosh dark big publisher and we can't do anything do fight that power.

Aeana

Yes, there has been. Unfortunately I can't find it. The summary is that Famitsu scores are influenced by several things, from advertising money to whether Famitsu feels it can profit off of selling guides and such for the game.
Also thanks for accusing me of caring at all about what score the magazine gives anything. How insulting. I'd be in here telling people the same thing if Famitsu gave it a 4/40 (and as you can see above, people were cheering on the fake 31/40 review earlier, to which I wrote the same things I'm writing here).

Averon

Aeana said:
Yes, there has been. Unfortunately I can't find it. The summary is that Famitsu scores are influenced by several things, from advertising money to whether Famitsu feels it can profit off of selling guides and such for the game.

Wow. First I'm hearing about this. Guess I'm going to ignore all Famitsu reviews from now on.

Also thanks for accusing me of caring at all about what score the magazine gives anything. How insulting. I'd be in here telling people the same thing if Famitsu gave it a 4/40 (and as you can see above, people were cheering on the fake 31/40 review earlier, to which I wrote the same things I'm writing here).

Haha, is this a joke? I didn't mention your name. I don't know how you can accuse me of anything related to you. You're not famous for being the only one who has made such claims about Famitsu.

MechaX

And even notwithstanding the actual politics that go into the score, the actual text reviews from Famitsu are usually pretty garbage too.

Aeana

Haha, is this a joke? I didn't mention your name. I don't know how you can accuse me of anything related to you. You're not famous for being the only one who has made such claims about Famitsu.

You made a generalization about a group I'm included in (people insisting that Famitsu reviews are corrupt, in this thread).

And even notwithstanding the actual politics that go into the score, the actual text reviews from Famitsu are usually pretty garbage too.

Yes, they just write pretty much the same stuff for every game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I kinda remembered that Famitsu gave Demon's Souls 29/40... The same score as WKC.

Amagon

hiring anther review staffer would further divide their ad revenue.

eZHJN.png

You made a generalization about a group I'm included in (people insisting that Famitsu reviews are corrupt, in this thread).

There is no generalization of you or your alleged group. I asked whether or not there was documented proof or if some people are just upset over unrealistically high scores, in which I'm not saying this group of people is one or the other. It is a damn question and I was not associating you with any generalization.

but... I really want to know :(

I want to know what they liked about the game over XIII.

This is actually important. :/

Well that's why I want to know. I can smell BS a mile away so I'm curious what they said.

I imagine the review read something like this:

Reviewer 1: You push on the analogue stick and your character moves. It gives me the feeling of wanting to move around more.

Reviewer 2: The battles are quick, so the game feels heart pounding.

Reviewer 3: When you go to different areas, the music changes. It gives the game a feeling of being made with love.

Reviewer 4: I like how you gain new abilities as you progress through the game.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I wonder if it's one of the weeks when convenience stores start selling Famitsu early.
Will check it and post a short summary of FFXIII-2 reviews.

Aeana

I imagine the review read something like this:

Reviewer 1: You push on the analogue stick and your character moves. It gives me the feeling of wanting to move around more.

Reviewer 2: The battles are quick, so the game feels heart pounding.

Reviewer 3: When you go to different areas, the music changes. It gives the game a feeling of being made with love.

Reviewer 4: I like how you gain new abilities as you progress through the game.

Sounds about right!

Samurai & Dragons game looks like a low-budget Dreamcast title. I hope this wasn't the big Vita project that guy from Sega Europe teased during E3...

Top Bottom