• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Samurai & Dragons on Vita (Director of Jet Set Radio), FFXIII-2 scores 40/40

Himself

Samurai & Dragons sounds awesome. Another game tipping the scales of my interest in owning a Vita.

And the 40/40...maybe I'll go back and somehow manage to finish the last chapter or two of XIII.

no. They gave ff13 a 39/40...

they're biased towards square enix and it shows big-time, or they just have horrible reviewers as they gave the ps3 version of skyrim a 40...

this score means nothing, ff13-2 is fail. but i will still buy it.
Are you a wizard time traveller?
Also, what other SE games have Famitsu given a perfect score to? I honestly don't know if they ever have.

edit: Nevermind. It was easy enough to find.

Vagrant Story (deserved)
FFXII (deserved)
DQIX (never played)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
At this rate a 40 will soon not seem worth the highest paycheck anymore.

Aeana

So what did Famitsu say about XIII-2? Did they enjoy the limited party this time?

You'll never find out, because nobody actually cares about the text, only [being outraged/masturbating] (depending on personal position) over numbers.

But also it doesn't matter, because Famitsu has the same empty praise prepared for any game it gives a 40 to.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
no. They gave ff13 a 39/40...

they're biased towards square enix and it shows big-time, or they just have horrible reviewers as they gave the ps3 version of skyrim a 40...

this score means nothing, ff13-2 is fail. but i will still buy it.
Oh Nora...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Tri got a 40. Must be the difficulty.

You think Famitsu will give a shit? it's more likely :

"This game is good, my friends all play this. It has dragons. The touch pad looks interesting. 9/10"

Kyoufu

You'll never find out, because nobody actually cares about the text, only [being outraged/masturbating] (depending on personal position) over numbers.

but... I really want to know :(

I want to know what they liked about the game over XIII.

This is actually important. :/

But also it doesn't matter, because Famitsu has the same empty praise prepared for any game it gives a 40 to.

Well that's why I want to know. I can smell BS a mile away so I'm curious what they said.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Monster Hunter Tri G Famitsu score: 10/10/9/9.

Interesting score.

Just for reference, MHTri got 40/40 and MHP3rd got 39/40.

Oh Nora...

there are issues with the game that should have prevented it from getting a 40/40 such as the aforementioned load times in the other topic, the handling of DLC, difficulty (it's apparantly much easier than FF13...with no option for a hard mode), and of course, the reused assets from FF13. Those are all things that should have docked it 1 point at the most, leaving it at 39/40 equal to FF13. The story also seems pretty mediocre but I don't have the game and can't pass judgment on that. The very fact this game got a 40/40 discredits every famitsu review ever made in my opinion.

/rant /superhyperbole

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Well, Im hyped.

I have no idea what Im hyped FOR, but shit, didnt see this one coming.

Haunted

I feel like I don't need to say anything about Famitsu scores since it wasn't even 12 hours since the last time I did.
same here

I started writing a snarky comment about Famitsu's integrity but there's no point, really.

It's the same as any other publication, doesn't stop people from discussing it... Why care that much?
Educating people is a noble thing, don't denigrate Aeana for wanting to do so.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Haters just gotta admit that this game will blow up everyones expectations and own everything! January, LET'S GO! :D

DCharlie

there are issues with the game that should have prevented it from getting a 40/40 such as the aforementioned load times in the other topic, the handling of DLC, difficulty (it's apparantly much easier than FF13...with no option for a hard mode), and of course, the reused assets from FF13. Those are all things that should have docked it 1 point at the most, leaving it at 39/40 equal to FF13. The very fact this game got a 40/40 discredits every famitsu review ever made in my opinion.

Taking Famitsu reviews seriously is so unfashionable that it might actually have an hipster style anti-cool coolness about it.

Road

Square Enix should have saved that money to buy scores in the West. They don't need that in Japan.

Haters just gotta admit that this game will blow up everyones expectations and own everything! January, LET'S GO! :D

FF13 was a bargain bin title within a week...let's see if FF13-2 beats that record. That would sure "blow up" my expectations.

how much Final fantasy XIII scored on famitsu?

39/40, making this review worthless. apparantly this game is only 1 point better than ff13 with all the changes/additions.

Aeana

It's the same as any other publication, doesn't stop people from discussing it... Why care that much?

I care because lots of people don't understand just how corrupted Famitsu is. It's not even comparable to other publications, to be honest.

I'm personally sure that FF13-2 is a great game, but whether Famitsu says so or not has no meaning to me. But sure, carry on.

Bebpo

Banned

Eh, not really. At least other reviews try to explain their reasoning. Famitsu is literally just "this is a popular game by an important company = 9 or 10".

randomkid

Moneyhats and empty text notwithstanding, it's pretty easy to determine the exact cutoff point when the Famitsu 40/40 was permanently devalued.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)[9]
Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)[10]
Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., for PlayStation)[10]
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo, for Nintendo GameCube)[10]
Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)[10]
Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)[10]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)[11]
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008, Konami, for PlayStation 3)[12]
428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de (2008, Sega, for Wii)[13]
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (2009, Square Enix, for Nintendo DS)[14]
Monster Hunter Tri (2009, Capcom, for Wii)[15]
Bayonetta (2009, Sega, for Xbox 360)[16]
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009, Nintendo, for Wii)[17]
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (2010, Konami, for PlayStation Portable)[18]
Pokémon Black and White (2010, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)[19]
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011, Nintendo, for Wii)[20]
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011, Bethesda Softworks, for Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3)
And now Final Fantasy 13-2

I thought it would be Nintendogs, turns out Smash Bros in 2008 was the obvious turning point.

Funnily enough, check out EGM's list of Platinum Awards for comparison:

Metal Gear Solid (1998, PlayStation)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo 64)
Soulcalibur (1999, Sega Dreamcast)
Gran Turismo 2 (1999, PlayStation)
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (2000, Nintendo 64)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (2000, PlayStation, Sega Dreamcast)*
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (2001, PlayStation 2)
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001, Xbox)
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (2002, PlayStation 2)
Metroid Prime (2002, Nintendo GameCube)
Halo 2 (2004, Xbox) **
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (2004, PlayStation 2) **
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006, Wii)
BioShock (2007, Xbox 360)

Was there a secret transcontinental pact in 1998 to start handing out more 10s?

Toth

Wait when did people say FF13-2 was easier? I recall there was options to change the difficulty.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I care because lots of people don't understand just how corrupted Famitsu is. It's not even comparable to other publications, to be honest.
I think it's very comparable to most others, to be honest. Tons of them have had a scandal here or there, from little things to bigger things, why think those are isolated cases and nost just standard practice, especially when in said scandals nothing changes and at most you get a fired reviewer or whatever, and things continue as usual. Not that you need a scandal to observe things, like how many perfect and near perfect scores have games like Skyrim accumulated (including Famitsu I think, lol, but also tons of others), nevermind the objective issues it's riddled with, on top of any sane person's subjective observations...

Eh, not really. At least other reviews try to explain their reasoning. Famitsu is literally just "this is a popular game by an important company = 9 or 10".
I take it your definition of literally is loose then, I read the occasional translation here and there and have yet to encounter such a description. That's not to say they write elaborate reviews, but of course that's not a required rule either...

And I'm not defending famitsu as credible, just saying, yeah, that's how shit works, but people still wanna discuss it and hate/love shit to pass the time on GAF... No reason to get worked up and feel they're not educated enough or whatever... Isn't GAF for a certain age and over, I forget if there was a check... I think most gamers have heard concerns like yours at least once in their lives by now anyway, no reason to get so worked up and feel ignored or whatever... It's their choice at this point.

DCharlie

What does famitsu mean anyway?

it comes from a combinations of two japanese characters

Fami - which means "to confuse intentionally"

and

Tsu - whihc is short hand slang for "foreigner"

it's sort of Japan's gaming press in joke.

(Magazine was originally called Famicom Tsushin (Famicom Journals) and revolved around FC gaming, as it grew out into multiplatform they adopted the general shorthand knickname of Famitsu that games fans at the time were using (Wife, needs citation))

Top Bottom