• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #237 - Reviews

ScOULaris

God damn. How far behind is my subscription delivery to Florida? I just got the previous issue in the mail TWO DAYS ago!

Volcynika

Corpse Party kinda low. :(

I would've docked it a bit just for no text skip option. No way to fly through the text when you accidentally got another Wrong End you've seen sucks. And near the end it may be a bit vague how to get the real endings.

Omikaru

Good to see Soul Calibur V getting a good score. Though that's the same as what they gave SCIV, and I really didn't like that one.

Cautiously watching my RE: Revelations pre-order now. May cancel it at this rate if it's no more than an average game.

-SD-

Banned
i5ofThs7xt2bK.JPG
That's Far Cry 3 concept art.

far_cry_3_wallpapertqwv4.jpg

Oxx

Closing of RE:R review:

Revelations is a pick 'n' mix of the series' iconography and mechanics, then. It takes the best and worst of Resident Evils past and present, and spot welds them together unevenly. If the designers had committed wholeheartedly to either polarity of action or horror, Revelations might have been a headshot, but what we're left with is more of a glancing blow.

Surprised at the SC5 score. Maybe the game is good. I didn't really like 4 and think the series has progressively gotten worse after 2. I'm still not interested as it looks pretty bad and the roster was not the shake up I thought it was going to be. But maybe I should find a way to try it out and see.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
in before : "but what is Resi :R was developed by a british team?"

I am not going to reserve judgement until I get the game and frankenstick in my hands and some play time...

Detox

What did they say about Soul Calibur V, what are the good and bad parts?

They like that it has a faster pace and the only problems are the story mode, akward pause between one chain of attack and the next because of pre-canned combo strings and the characterisation is weak although the custom character creator kind of makes up for this.

Revelations is a pick 'n' mix of the series' iconography and mechanics, then. It takes the best and worst of Resident Evils past and present, and spot welds them together unevenly. If the designers had committed wholeheartedly to either polarity of action or horror, Revelations might have been a headshot, but what we're left with is more of a glancing blow.

This doesn't really surprise me, but it still disappoints me. I'll probably pick it up regardless, since I skipped Mercenaries and I would like a good action game on the 3DS, even if it is merely competent instead of spectacular.

NeonZ

They like that it has a faster pace and the only problems are the story mode, akward pause between one chain of attack and the next because of pre-canned combo strings and the characterisation is weak although the custom character creator kind of makes up for this.

What's the problem of the story mode? I'm kind of curious because Namco has given little information about it so far.

Detox

What's the problem of the story mode? I'm kind of curious because Namco has given little information about it so far.

You play mainly as Patrolokos. "The developer mixes things up by putting you in control of Pyrrha and ZWEI for a couple of fights and revising Patrolokos' and Pyrrha's movesets late on but it's mostly forgettable, a couple of unlockable characters barely justifying the three hour investment." Another part of their problem is it loses some familiarity as the story is based on new characters.

7Th

SCV reviews already? Does this mean that the currently revealed rooster is complete? No Talim? ;_;

So it's a mix of post-RE4 action and pre-RE4 horror, and they'd rather it was just one or the other?
I'd rather it was a mix personally. I'll be curious to read more of their review, but I'm not seeing anything off putting in the closing comments.

AkuMifune

Banned
The sun is up, the sky is blue, it's beautiful and so are you. Dear Prudence...won't you come out to play.

I was getting Dear Esther confused with Trauma. Need to check it out.

Hmmmm $49.99 for 6/10 RE Revelations or $6.99 for 8/10 Infinity Blade 2?

Herp a derp comparison

Infinity Blade II is a very good looking mobile game where you control repetitive sword and shieldy battles with swipes and taps, moving between battles with taps and is couched in cutscenes with a touch of Assassins Creed about the juxtaposed aesthetics. Its very much an on-the-go experience and graphical showcase for iOS.

RE:R is a fully controllable RE game replete with the usual cheesy story / horror elements, has online co-op Raid mode, it can use the circle pad expansion, and is a showcase exclusive for 3DS.

You can quite reasonably like one, the other, or both, and be willing to pay the price for both.

Also, pushmo is the same price as IB2, got the same score, is more of a mental challenge and has user-content sharing for extra longevity... I wouldn't compare those two games either, but if we're making apple and orange comparisons why not?

NeonZ

You play mainly as Patrolokos. "The developer mixes things up by putting you in control of Pyrrha and ZWEI for a couple of fights and revising Patrolokos' and Pyrrha's movesets late on but it's mostly forgettable, a couple of unlockable characters barely justifying the three hour investment." Another part of their problem is it loses some familiarity as the story is based on new characters.

Hm... Ok. I was just fearing that it'd be a 20 minute affair. I can understand the complaints though. They should have followed a format that allowed character options, even if inside a single storyline (like Soul Calibur Legends' party system, only for an actual fighting game, not a crappy low budget action game).

SCV reviews already? Does this mean that the currently revealed rooster is complete? No Talim? ;_;

We're still missing 6 characters, although that quote from the review makes it sound like two of those are just variations of Patroklos and Pyrrha.

Edge and Games TM awarded the same score, have to wonder if the complaints will be the same. If it boils down to wahhhh its split up episodically and its not on a console, its a worthless review to me. As ever, I need some text content from the review.

Funny to see how Revelations is scored either 9 or 6 by all magazines.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
you are amazing.

I know. But on a serious note, as much as I'm interested in RE:R, I'll hold off on purchasing until I see feedback from people playing the game. Reviews do nothing for me.

If I do get the game I'm going to want the second nub add-on to play it properly. Hopefully some retailers will offer discounts if both are purchased together.

Top Bottom