• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

Just using the Flickr app to upload some screens, boy I wish there was a way of selecting several images to upload at once. Also I'd like to be able to set a default upload location instead of having to set the "Vita Screenshots" set every time.

The app is great apart from that.

Number45

For some reason my 3G unit this morning isn't showing me anything on the 3G at all. No "Vodafone UK" or "No Signal", I just see a signal strength indicator with a cross above it. Anyone else seeing this?

Sure I haven't used my 300MB yet (I will have barely touched the bandwidth as far as I can gather). Not a problem if I have though, I have a different SIM that's good for 3GB/month.

DBT85

For some reason my 3G unit this morning isn't showing me anything on the 3G at all. No "Vodafone UK" or "No Signal", I just see a signal strength indicator with a cross above it. Anyone else seeing this?

Sure I haven't used my 300MB yet (I will have barely touched the bandwidth as far as I can gather). Not a problem if I have though, I have a different SIM that's good for 3GB/month.

Go to Settings, System, Usage to see what you've used over 3G.

I wonder if anyone has tried one of those ebay sims that were £19 for 6 months at 3gb a month yet. EDIT: those sims are now £28 for 6 months. Will order one as they say they tested one and it worked ok.

Okay, after my previous homescreen customization wallpapers some people said they thought it was a shame that the big and bold texts used so much space... so I tried something else.

But before I make more: What do you guys think of this?

playstation_network_2.png

It would look something like this (mockup, as I'm at work and don't have my datacable with me):
playstation_network_mockup.png

I'm just wondering if I can come up with all the icons to put in the bottom left corner :p

I'm just wondering if I can come up with all the icons to put in the bottom left corner :p

This design is great, and you only lose an icon for each page.

But I think that you should keep on abstract wallpapers, instead of nature ones. The landscapes are ok, but the one of the flower and the bee seems out of place.

This design is great, and you only lose an icon for each page.

But I think that you should keep on abstract wallpapers, instead of nature ones. The landscapes are ok, but the one of the flower and the bee seems out of place.

I know what you mean, but I actually just made them for myself at first. :p

Kerrby

Banned
That is absolutely amazing, please make a set ASAP.

When you're done could you please PM me the links, I don't want it getting lost in this thread and missing out :).

Just thought of an idea, could you make it with the side bar and leave the rest of the image transparent so there's the moving colours?

Raonak

Banned
Okay, after my previous homescreen customization wallpapers some people said they thought it was a shame that the big and bold texts used so much space... so I tried something else.

It would look something like this (mockup, as I'm at work and don't have my datacable with me):

Wowow, yes definetly, I have your old ones on my vita right now, but with only 4 bubbles per screen, it means a lot of scrolling. That's a definete improvement :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
That is absolutely amazing, please make a set ASAP.

When you're done could you please PM me the links, I don't want it getting lost in this thread and missing out :).

Just thought of an idea, could you make it with the side bar and leave the rest of the image transparent so there's the moving colours?

Also as template for other users to use their own pictures.

Can we move the wallpaper talk to the actual PS Vita Wallpaper thread?

Nice wallpapers by the way.

Yes, lets do that please.

Aru

Got my Vita :)
Again, putting on those screen protectors is a pain in the ass. The instruction manual doesn't provide much help either.

rockx4

After many many many many many failures on the second planet of SSD... I finally beat the boss!!! So proud of myself lol. It was so tempting to switch to casual, but I kept at it.

ascii42

Just finished Touch my Katamari

Even at $30 would avoid.
I have to agree. Though I will say that the quickly vanishing items does add some strategy to the Eternal Stages. It's very possible to miss Curio items if you size up too fast.

Overall, I think the fact that the game doesn't have a platinum trophy is pretty telling.

Twinduct

After many many many many many failures on the second planet of SSD... I finally beat the boss!!! So proud of myself lol. It was so tempting to switch to casual, but I kept at it.

Nice! I love the game, but really worried on wearing my analogues out lol.

Gustav

Banned

Those are superb. If you find some great icons for games, apps and system/settings I will gladly use those.

Jetku

Yeah I need something like this. I've got huge hands so getting some cramping with the current holding grip. Although my body will get use to it. I survived the claw for MH.

I am using the pdp grip and it's great!! Much more comfortable to hold than the plain system. I no longer accidentally hit the back touch pad. Also, the shoulder buttons feel better on the grip.

Shadybiz

Just splurged last night and bought a couple of things for my Vita off of PSN, SSD included. I only got to play a few minutes of it, but man...they really did a fantastic job with it; my wife even commented on how pretty it looks!

Hustle Kings is pretty neat too, but that last training exercise is killing me.

Thanks for adding me guys. Now I don't feel as bad when only one other person on my list had a Vita. Psh, I'm broke and still got one which might show what a tech geek I am...lol

Is The Show going to have a demo on Vita this year? I think that'd be key for them to get a demo out and show people that it's high quality like the console games and not completely dumbed down. Clearly, the Vita version got a lot of attention with few cuts from the console version (most being design decisions to make it portable anyway) and they need to show it.

Hell, if I walked into Best Buy and they had The Show running on a Vita, I'd end up walking out with a Vita assuming I had money. It's one of the reasons I got my Vita at launch anyway just knowing that The Show is only right after launch along with Unit 13.

I don't know if it's such a good idea for sports games to have demos.

For example, the Fifa demo provides exactly the right amount of content I need to satisfy my itch for occasional casual play. All I need is to play an exhibition match once in a while and the demo does that beautifully. Why the hell would I pay for the full game?

I don't care about leagues, campaigns or even online play (though that one is probably a deal breaker for many).

Instead of putting a demo, they should revamp the PSN store. It's kinda unacceptable that they expect you to shell money for a $35 game and all you get to make your decision is a paragraph of marketing speak.

On that iOS is way ahead. 5 screenshots for EVERY game (and if the developer doesn't comply he's usually severely punished in sales). Why would they expect me to go to outside sources of info before deciding whether I buy a game or not. You have me there already Sony! Getting page looks is the most difficult part, you have to convert them to sales. Every game should have mandatory screenshots and trailer. Maybe youtube quality for instant viewing with the option of downloading an HD quality one. I don't wanna download a 200MB file for something I don't even know if I'm interested yet.

This is particularly necessary for PSP titles that even early Vita adopters might not be familiar with and definitely a necessity for the Minis.

This needs to happen now. They're leaving a lot of money on the table for something oh so stupid.

SmokyDave

Just picked my Vita up. Can't really play with it as I'm at work but, man, what a sexy unit. I'm really pleased with the materials and the build quality. And that screen.

Number45

Go to Settings, System, Usage to see what you've used over 3G.
Yeah, it showed about 20MB but I wasn't sure if it was to be trusted.

I wonder if anyone has tried one of those ebay sims that were £19 for 6 months at 3gb a month yet. EDIT: those sims are now £28 for 6 months. Will order one as they say they tested one and it worked ok.
I have one of those, will be trying it out when my Vodafone data is all gone.

Yopis

Yesterday got the hori screen protector.(NA ver) Got it on no problem,no air bubbles nothing. After putting it on noticed right away it didn't look right. Think NA version is matte type.

Now im stuck until I can find a glossy version in stock. Sucks I hate the way it looks. Should have kept the sony filter on until I knew for sure I was getting another gloss type. Live and learn lol.

Luigiv

Finally saw a PS Vita in person today.

AihFP.png

The device was fresh out of the packet with no game and no memory card, so I can't really comment on much but of what I did see.

-The super oval design looks a lot less tacky in person than it does in photography. Not a surprise but good to see none the less.
-Buttons had an interesting feel to them. Very clicky but at the same time, not unpleasant. I'd love to try them out in a game.
-The sticks were disappointing, for all the hype they got. They pretty much felt like small Dual Shock sticks. Really can't say I'm a fan of Dual Shock sticks though at least they had the grip rings which are very welcome.
-I can't really judge the screen just based off the home page, since it doesn't exactly put the screen through it's paces. I did notice the viewing angles; which were fantastic, no washing out in even the very slightest; but at the same time I noticed quite a few jaggies, even though I wasn't intentionally looking for them. Whilst that last fact doesn't really bother me on it's own (it was to be expected with the so-so dot pitch and aliased UI), it does have me rather sceptical of the screens ability to hide scaling artefacts from my eyes in all those 408p games.

Overall, even with such a quick look, I'd say it looks like a fairly solid piece of kit. I don't think I'd hesitate to buy one when it finally does gets a system seller (by my standards). All of you who did buy the system, enjoy.

kuroshiki

Man, I sure do love these "Wow" Hori screen protectors

Really are easy if you know what you're doing (^____^)

The instruction of that 'easy' screen protector was piss poorly written. I didn't know what I was doing. Ended up applying just fine, but I still don't know what I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom