• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

I don't understand wanting all new maps. You should want all good maps.

Remaking a couple good maps makes sure there are good maps for day 1 matchmaking.

Just look at Reach, it was mostly new maps. Most of them are garbage. The only decent maps were reflection and Asylum.

Remaking a couple good maps makes sure there are good maps for day 1 matchmaking.

Just look at Reach, it was mostly new maps. Most of them are garbage. The only decent maps were reflection and Asylum.

Reflection is debatable and Asylum was done in Forge, so it shouldn't really count. Remakes never live up to their former glory. And like I posted above, everyone has their own favorites. I love standoff, but was never a huge fan of Guardian, which I thought was a poor man's Lockout. If they remade that, how many people would be happy? Better just to avoid the remakes. The first three halo games had pretty good maps. Reach is more like an outlier.
also, I really liked sword base lol

Overdoziz

Banned
1078584.gif
lol photobucket

Striker

Are you confusing it with Construct?

Zealot also sucks because of sprint. It's too small for sprint. That and the stupid bloody spawn exploits.
No, because I found Construct to be absolutely terrible. Lifts were vital, and those promoted excessive camping. Citadel is fine if you compare it to the junk in Halo 3. I mean, Orbital, Snowbound, Foundry? Utter garbage.

Remakes never live up to their former glory
Sure they can. They just have to be careful with what changes they do. For Halo 1 > 2 they brought in several remakes, and they all worked out well. Those changes were completely necessary. Then you have remakes like Last Resort and Blackout, noticeable changes were made, and not for the better.

Reminds me of plenty in H3.

Reflection is OK. The issue with the others? Forge. Blame the developers...
I don't think a non-Forge version of Ascension would make that map play any better in Reach. The moving antenna would be nifty, though. ;-)

I'm with you; I'd prefer all new maps. But if we are getting a couple remakes/successors might as well go for the best of the bunch. I wouldn't hate to see Terminal and/or Turf looked at if some are returning. I know Shishka wanted Terminal back in the Anni pack.
I don't really doubt that remakes/re-imaginings will be in H4, just stating what I'd prefer.

So the answer is wasting developer time rehashing fan favorites in favor of spending time to craft high-quality original maps? Okay...

neoism

some people like new experiences.... I still see your point though. Reach does have some good maps.... Shame this game gets soo much hate here. :(
This is going to be 343's baby from now on, so I want to see what they can come up with, not just redo what bungle has done.

Striker

I don't think a non-Forge version of Ascension would make that map play any better in Reach. The moving antenna would be nifty, though. ;-)
I don't think it suits well in Reach, either, under AA rules and whatnot. The removal of the OS was a huge change, and one Bungie obviously didn't think would have made a big deal in gameplay. That section of the map is largely not used outside the occasional spawns out in the old Banshee port. They should have just made new maps all around instead of stashing in forged remakes. They did them wrong, for one, and they could have made new ones based off the new gameplay changes that were obviously different.

Fuchsdh

Anyone else just lost all their game history/gamerscore?

I pop in Reach and it gives me some bull about playing on another console then wipes all my activity. I now have 20G. Damn.

Woah apparently a ton of people have lost all of they're xbox gamerscore/ avatar stuff etc. If its widespread enough to wipe out games and MS points I would be gutted. Not sure what triggers it, or what it effects so im going to tread carefully today.

Why wont anyone be my friend!!?
Sorry for that lol.
But no Midship-type levels. Boarding Action only with dual-wield needlers.

First friends, than possibly lovers?

Woah apparently a ton of people have lost all of they're xbox gamerscore/ avatar stuff etc. If its widespread enough to wipe out games and MS points I would be gutted. Not sure what triggers it, or what it effects so im going to tread carefully today.

Yep, just sent people on my friends list a message, the ones who were playing at this moment.

Fuchsdh

Just before I got wiped it warned me it would have to restart the game as I'd played it on another console or something like that. Never touched the cloud so no idea what's the issue.

On the chat with MS. Hopefully it's recoverable. Don't care about the score so much as the game completions I'll never go back for (Halo 3, Reach, ODST.)

Kuroyume

Banned
Bungie spent a lot of time rehashing levels/sections from the old campaigns, and weapons, music, etc. Alot of developers do that. Don't see why they would feel like they're wasting their time remaking good maps if they don't have a problem with remaking the old campaigns.

Btw, that's not a knock against 343 as we only have a little bit of info on the new game.

I want to see Colossus, Coag, The Pit, Lockout etc back because it's been so long since I've played those maps. Half assed remakes in Forge or Bungie developed don't count for me.

GhaleonEB

Xbox support just tweeted this:
We're aware of some gamer score issues at this time, and we're looking into it. Thanks so much for your patience! ^BA

They are clearly doing something, my account keeps changing how many games it has played lol! I still have my full gamerscore but it cant make up its mind if I have only played SSX or if I have played Halo 3 aswell. Odd. I dont want to risk it, but achievments dont bother me, I would be gutted if I cant access DLC or Arcade games though.

They are clearly doing something, my account keeps changing how many games it has played lol! I still have my full gamerscore but it cant make up its mind if I have only played SSX or if I have played Halo 3 aswell. Odd. I dont want to risk it, but achievments dont bother me, I would be gutted if I cant access DLC or Arcade games though.

This is your doing, mess up achievement system=boost halo 3 population for those looking to re-earn achievements! :p

This is your doing, mess up achievement system=boost halo 3 population for those looking to re-earn achievements! :p

I can live with that!

Oddly my Halo 3 achievements are the only ones that still exist, my xbox clearly has its priority's right.

EDIT: Halo Wars and Reach just came back, ODST would complete the collection, my xbox certainly has its priorities right. Is this 343's way of making Halo the only game which have achievement's? Good move Frankie, the masses will buy any Halo game you put out just for the gamerscore now. :p

Fuchsdh

Yeah now my recent games and completions are showing but I've still got 20G. Argh.

On the actual topic, I'm fine with remakes. I just don't want the only good maps to be said remakes :) I think having all original or inspired-by maps for shipping, then sprinkling in one or two remake maps alongside original ones for DLC would make me happy. I really want to see Turf, Relic, Danger Island and Gephyrophobia come to the 360 (and no, Narrows is not a remake of Gephyrophobia. It's the wimpiest spiritual successor ever.)

neoism

Thanks for the heads up I checked mine and its fine, if yours is messin up like that I'd leave it be for a while or something.

Fuchsdh

Zealot is awesome by Reach standards. Shit sux otherwise. Not a big fan of the circular merry go round.

I've never actually stopped to look at the differences between Zealot and Midship, but it seems like a lot less action occurs in the center in the former, relegating things as you said to a circular killing path.

Wasted map areas is my biggest beef with Reach, and it's kind of unavoidable considering how they approached the campaign.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hope this is just a bump in the road to achievement history deletion. High School Musical 3, your days are numbered.

Tawpgun

It has good ideas, and the map movement isn't too bad. I liked midships design a hell of a lot better though.

Zealot also isn't helped by the fact that Reach plays like shit under tight hallways and narrow spaces. It's why Countdown is so aggravating sometimes. You got no bleed through melee's and nuclear grenades.

Hope this is just a bump in the road to achievement history deletion. High School Musical 3, your days are numbered.

Nah, I just print screened this post, your going to have your high school musical days haunt you to your grave!

Not really, im too lazy for that crap

BTW are you planning to pick up SSX? Was fun going up against your times on the Demo. :p

EDIT: Is signing out and in supposed to fix the problem immediately or does it take some time? my problem seems slightly different from what others are dealing with. For me my gamerscore etc isnt lost, but my games are just not showing up. They are coming back slowly, but if I have to wait for them to all come back ill be here for a while. :p

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Damnit, fixed already? :(

As for SSX - maybe. I had to shell out over 2,000 for physiotherapy + ambulance bill late last month so I'm re-budgeting a lot of my entertainment purchases (luckily I already pre-ordered Starcraft and Diablo in full back in June so those are locked down). It's on sale for 40 here in Canada, so there's a chance I'll cave.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think the issue is that Frankie sort of semi-halfway-kind of confirmed at least some successors would return with his comment about how they know what we like. Not sure if they woul be direct remakes or just inspirations for new maps, but it seems something that corresponds to an older map (or maps) will return. With that knowledge, people are just stating what they'd prefer as those sources of inspiration.

I personally think Guardian will be one of these maps.

I'm with you; I'd prefer all new maps. But if we are getting a couple remakes/successors might as well go for the best of the bunch. I wouldn't hate to see Terminal and/or Turf looked at if some are returning. I know Shishka wanted Terminal back in the Anni pack.

The vast majority of ALL Halo 4 maps will be new.

I don't really doubt that remakes/re-imaginings will be in H4, just stating what I'd prefer.

So the answer is wasting developer time rehashing fan favorites in favor of spending time to craft high-quality original maps? Okay...
Developing guaranteed good maps is a waste of time to you?

Remaking old maps and making new map aren't mutually exclusive bro.

Tawpgun

As long as they chill with power weapons and power weapon placement I'll be fine also. 343 doesn't have a good track record when it comes to weapons on map.

wwm0nkey

You know I am really interested to see how 343i handles map design. Bungie was god like in Halo 2 but slowly degraded after Halo 3 and Certain Affinity usually makes great maps but we have not seen anything from 343 at all yet though which has be both excited and worried lol

(no way it can be worse than Reach though)

Tawpgun

Let's not put Last Resort, Snowbound, and Isolation on some pedestal.

At least Halo 3 had some really nice gems.

I can't think of a single map on Reach I love like I loved some of the Halo 2 and 3 maps.

Favorite (not remakes) Reach maps are
Boardwalk (unbalanced and too big)
Zealot (poor mans midship + spaaaace)
Countdown (shotgun, sword, tight spaces and nades up the butt)
Powerhouse (bland, unused areas, but nothing really terribly wrong with it.)

Top Bottom