• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Gui_PT

EDIT: Why is that man naked with his mother?

Oh this edit was like...
xxFeJ.gif

I'll handle it.

Don't you do the same with yours? I've seen the videos

"You, as a player, have the ability to customise all aspects of your Spartan warrior – and not just cosmetically. For the first time in a Halo title, you can actually change gameplay-impacting components. This allows you to customise load outs and gives you gameplay enhancements that can be unlocked through the progression system."

I don't know how more people aren't nervous about this :X
Because it's still pretty vague information and not worth worrying about yet. I'm keeping an open mind and for now will believe in 343 to see the way that AA's affected Reach and took extensive notes on how to make them, or H4's take on them, work well within their game.

Now we know where you got your name. Well done.
wanna sniff my tentacle?

John Connor, T2
I know now why you cry

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
"You, as a player, have the ability to customise all aspects of your Spartan warrior – and not just cosmetically. For the first time in a Halo title, you can actually change gameplay-impacting components. This allows you to customise load outs and gives you gameplay enhancements that can be unlocked through the progression system."

I don't know how more people aren't nervous about this :X

I'm on my phone, sorry.

People are nervous about any change. It's one of the inherent tensions in making a sequel - and that terror sometimes impedes evolution or improvement. Of course, it sometimes prevents catastrophic change.

The game needs to move forward to stay healthy and it needs to change to evolve. There are two things that you should bear in mind when thinking about that, if you're conservative and calmness is all that's required. One, is that the game is customizable enough to reduce additions back to a ground level, but two and more importantly, the changes are not simply being slapped on willy nilly. They're carefully thought out, considered and balanced. And ones that don't pass muster, you will never get to try.

I can tell you bluntly that it "feels" 100% like Halo, without a shadow of a doubt. It's an evolution, not a reset or a reimagining. There will be loads of new stuff to learn, get used to or reject, as with any Halo sequel, but it won't feel alien (except, you know, the alien bits).

People are nervous about any change. It's one of the inherent tensions in making a sequel - and that terror sometimes impedes evolution or improvement. Of course, it sometimes prevents catastrophic change.

The game needs to move forward to stay healthy and it needs to change to evolve. There are two things that you should bear in mind when thinking about that, if you're conservative and calmness is all that's required. One, is that the game is customizable enough to reduce additions back to a ground level, but two and more importantly, the changes are not simply being slapped on willy nilly. They're carefully thought out, considered and balanced. And ones that don't pass muster, you will never get to try.

I can tell you bluntly that it "feels" 100% like Halo, without a shadow of a doubt. It's an evolution, not a reset or a reimagining. There will be loads of new stuff to learn, get used to or reject, as with any Halo sequel, but it won't feel alien (except, you know, the alien bits).
This post will tide me over until Edge comes out next month. :)

KOTAKU: Halo 4 to top Mass Effect sex scenes by introducing new "alien bits", and new and old "things".

Thanks for the update/reassurance Frankie, but you're really ruining the whole flow of this forum with your reasonable and informed perspective. Sometimes we just want to bitch about EVERYTHING. I noticed you didn't comment on my alternate name ideas for Wraparound/Scrimshaw they are available for free under a Creative Commons license.

All I'm reading is armor lock confirmed.

Kidding of course, I'm just curious to see how it all works together. You gotta understand, we know so little about the game, while you kick back and laugh manically as you play it every afternoon. We are just hungry for delicious info.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
KOTAKU: Halo 4 to top Mass Effect sex scenes by introducing new "alien bits", and new and old "things".

Thanks for the update/reassurance Frankie, but you're really ruining the whole flow of this forum with your reasonable and informed perspective. Sometimes we just want to bitch about EVERYTHING. I noticed you didn't comment on my alternate name ideas for Wraparound/Scrimshaw they are available for free under a Creative Commons license.

Dong Farm was already in use.

Risen

lunch time halo anyone?

That's what I like to hear, probably one of the bigger issues with Reach for me.

I'm betting that those responsible for the features in Reach would say their decisions were carefully thought out. Careful thought does not equal good thought. However, based on the interaction and thoughts provided by Frankie and David, I have faith things will be nicely done.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
All these hints about perks/nonperks/perk-like-but-not-perk-things coupled with the odd comments about map movement makes me suspicious. Or, curious. I wonder if/how these perks :)-P) will effect movement. I dunno, I'm imagining some Brink-style craziness. Something kind of like that could kind of work, maybe.

Edit : I think we're going to see some controversial changes to movement, but not on the level of Brink. I'm expecting various abilities that have to be unlocked by spending perk points, and you'll only be able to unlock one or two of the abilities. Different abilities will unlock different paths on the maps. This concept of unique paths has already been hinted at in very vague, shadowy, unverifiable terms.

kylej

Banned

Translation: Microsoft wants that COD money. I believe in you though, Frankie. Sprint is pretty decent all around so if they're subtle enough tweaks... could work. I'm still scared of Armor Lock v2 tho...

CyReN

lI'm betting that those responsible for the features in Reach would say their decisions were carefully thought out. Careful thought does not equal good thought. However, based on the interaction and thoughts provided by Frankie and David, I have faith things will be nicely done.

The thing I'm worried about is slowing down gameplay even more, Halo is generally a fast game in Halo 1/2. Then in Halo 3 we started with Equipment and that slowed down gameplay, then Reach dropped and took the slowness of gameplay to another level. People like fast kills with no slows aka why Call of duty is popular (or at least somewhat of a reason) and why last stand is one of the most hated perks in their gameplay and why sprint is popular there.

With that said I do believe 343i/Frankie know what the Halo communities want, and will learn from the mistakes/missteps up the previous Halo titles.

Overdoziz

Banned

I'm not necessarily nervous about change, but so far signs point towards people not spawning on equal grounds at the beginning of a match. I am nervous about that. I don't say this about a lot of things but started on even ground is Halo. I do not want to see loadouts make a return and especially don't want to see the concept expanded upon.

Edit:eek:h ye, sprint sucks. Delete that shit.

lunch time halo anyone?

I'm betting that those responsible for the features in Reach would say their decisions were carefully thought out. Careful thought does not equal good thought. However, based on the interaction and thoughts provided by Frankie and David, I have faith things will be nicely done.
Yep. Because of the TU, I believe in 343i.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

I think this is where Bungie fucked up. They tried to have it both ways. Obviously my opinion might be questionable to some of you because all I play is MLG and there are more people playing stock Halo than there are playing MLG. That's understandable. I however feel like Bungie tried to have the original classic Halo AND the new, updated and evolved Halo. But they just didn't balance the loadouts and abilities for each individual map or gametype. You gotta go all the way or don't go at all.

Really, really, really appreciate the reply, you have no idea. I think you know what some of the community was worried about after the word "perks" was thrown around.

1. I want to have that safety net of customizability that lets the community play Halo 4 in a more "classic" and/or "competitive" mode. Sounds like we'll be getting that (just like we did with Reach, to a degree).

2. I want to love the changes and additions so much that I don't care about #1.

1. I want to have that safety net of customizability that lets the community play Halo 4 in a more "classic" and/or "competitive" mode. Sounds like we'll be getting that (just like we did with Reach, to a degree).

That bothers me though, I don't think the community should be split like that. Everyone should be able to enjoy vanilla settings in Halo 4, whether the classic community, competitive community, casual community, and the new community Halo 4 creates.

Homeboyd

Just let me spawn with OS, sprint or jetpack, rockets and the ability to carry 3 weapons and I'll be happy.

:)

I WANT SPIKE GRENDES BACK.

I'm betting that those responsible for the features in Reach would say their decisions were carefully thought out. Careful thought does not equal good thought.
This is what drives me nuts with Reach. Bungie put a lot of thought into the game. It's almost there in terms of being a great Halo game, but because they were unwilling to bend/break in regards to some of their decisions the whole game suffers.

Bungie released a beta that was full of problems. They got feedback on a lot of the results of decisions they made during developement AND we now know they had enough time and resources to change those decisions but as a company they chose not to. Imagine if after week 2 of the Reach beta Bungie had devoted a small team to enact the changes people were asking for (and I mean REALLY make changes: much weaker grenades, less frustrating bloom, Armor Lock-pause button effect, inertia etc) before the game shipped. 343 improved the game by an order of magnitude with just ONE GUY working on the TU.

Translation: Microsoft wants that COD money. I believe in you though, Frankie. Sprint is pretty decent all around so if they're subtle enough tweaks... could work. I'm still scared of Armor Lock v2 tho...
Sprint works, hologram works, and as pickups many other AAs work. There's a way to add things to the classic Halo formula without ruining it.

Activision rushes to make sure a new COD is cranked out every year (roughly a 2-year dev cycle for whichever studio is making that game) so imbalance and flaws are expected. 343 has been working on Halo 4 for five years. I'm confident that whatever they add will be fun and/or removable.

Dong Farm was already in use.
Someone tell Dax Valhalla is confirmed for Halo 4.

I think this is where Bungie fucked up. They tried to have it both ways. Obviously my opinion might be questionable to some of you because all I play is MLG and there are more people playing stock Halo than there are playing MLG. That's understandable. I however feel like Bungie tried to have the original classic Halo AND the new, updated and evolved Halo. But they just didn't balance the loadouts and abilities for each individual map or gametype. You gotta go all the way or don't go at all.

That's not the vibe I get at all. If they wanted us to be able to play "classic" Halo, the bleedthough and Bloom would should have been options from the beginning.

The thing I'm worried about is slowing down gameplay even more, Halo is generally a fast game in Halo 1/2. Then in Halo 3 we started with Equipment and that slowed down gameplay, then Reach dropped and took the slowness of gameplay to another level. People like fast kills with no slows aka why Call of duty is popular (or at least somewhat of a reason) and why last stand is one of the most hated perks in their gameplay and why sprint is popular there.

With that said I do believe 343i/Frankie know what the Halo communities want, and will learn from the mistakes/missteps up the previous Halo titles.

Frankie said quite directly in an interview with the info dropped last month that they want to speed up the game significantly, and everything in the footage seen seemed pretty fast, at least faster than H3 and Reach and more akin with Halo 2 speeds of gameplay. Hopefully that ends up being the case, as I feel a lot of non-Halo diehards are turned off by sluggish player movement and general slow paced gameplay of Halo 3 and Reach.

Really? I'd assume the Anniversary DLC adoption ratio is much higher within the MLG playlist's population than in the rest of Reach, now that Beaver Creek is one of the official maps.

Falagard

Sprint works, hologram works, and as pickups many other AAs work. There's a way to add things to the classic Halo formula without ruining it.

I agree. I don't have a problem with Armor Abilities in general, it's just that many of them should have been pickups, and probably dropped on death.

That's not the vibe I get at all. If they wanted us to be able to play "classic" Halo, the bleedthough and Bloom would should have been options from the beginning.

Yeah I think they just did a poor job of implementing new features. Although, if Reach had no bloom and H2 movement I think a lot of people's issues with AAs and loadouts wouldn't be as bad.

I think April is going to be a good month when it comes to Halo 4 news. =)

This post has me very excited to see what you guys have up your sleeves. I really can't wait.

I still don't think we will get any major info until E3. Speaking of which I can not wait to see what they will be revealing and showing off there.
Depends on what you mean by 'major'. Edge isn't some bullshit publication like IGN where they tout knowledge about something only to just end up speculating about things we've all already seen. I believe there will be some meaty substance to their article, and it will warm my heart.

wwm0nkey

Depends on what you mean by 'major'. Edge isn't some bullshit publication like IGN where they tout knowledge about something only to just end up speculating about things we've all already seen. I believe there will be some meaty substance to their article, and it will warm my heart.

I can see us getting a few minor things and some clarity on the perks system but I don't expect too much.

I however would LOVE to be proven wrong :)

I still don't think we will get any major info until E3. Speaking of which I can not wait to see what they will be revealing and showing off there.

I think we will get a basic reveal of sorts before e3, with a major reveal at e3. I highly doubt that we have seen everything there is to see before the inevitable e3 blowout, plus the update among other things leave me thinking we have something to look forward to relatively "soon".

TheOddOne

Understatement of the year :p

Save us based Edge.

Top Bottom