• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
OOPS FORGOT TO LOG OFF AHAHAHA

33KRz.png
Evil Duncan is best Duncan.
Bam!, please gentlemen, I am not liable for your erections.
primera calidad

People are nervous about any change. It's one of the inherent tensions in making a sequel - and that terror sometimes impedes evolution or improvement. Of course, it sometimes prevents catastrophic change.

The game needs to move forward to stay healthy and it needs to change to evolve. There are two things that you should bear in mind when thinking about that, if you're conservative and calmness is all that's required. One, is that the game is customizable enough to reduce additions back to a ground level, but two and more importantly, the changes are not simply being slapped on willy nilly. They're carefully thought out, considered and balanced. And ones that don't pass muster, you will never get to try.

I can tell you bluntly that it "feels" 100% like Halo, without a shadow of a doubt. It's an evolution, not a reset or a reimagining. There will be loads of new stuff to learn, get used to or reject, as with any Halo sequel, but it won't feel alien (except, you know, the alien bits).

I was expecting change, but im still wary adding perks etc is the wrong direction. Change can be good, but following the trends set by a game with a different set of mechanics isnt so good. Heres to hoping the change isnt in the forms of perks.

I will remain hopeful, and hopefully if the new stuff sucks it will be as easy as you say to remove those layers.

Need Halo 4 info soon. Finished with Mass Effect 3(at least first playthrough) and the other two big games for me this year(Max Payne 3 and Assassin's Creed III) have already been shown quite a bit.

GhaleonEB

I was expecting change, but im still wary adding perks etc is the wrong direction. Change can be good, but following the trends set by a game with a different set of mechanics isnt so good. Heres to hoping the change isnt in the forms of perks.

I will remain hopeful, and hopefully if the new stuff sucks it will be as easy as you say to remove those layers.

I think there's a natural evolution they can follow in the series. Incorporating armor abilities directly into the armory feels like a natural extension of where it's been going, as an example.

We'll find out soon enough.

I think there's a natural evolution they can follow in the series. Incorporating armor abilities directly into the armory feels like a natural extension of where it's been going, as an example.

Its certainly the logical progression, but I feel that the progression would be unwanted considering the starting steps where hardly well suited for Halo. Going the full distance seems like it would be an odd move. I suppose nothing has been confirmed but im skeptical it will work. I look forward to other changes, but perks or abilities are something I never want to see in Halo.

From the sounds of it Halo 4 is customizable enough for it not to plague the game if it does end up being a misstep though so I cant really complain, I just worry that the steps taken forward are down the wrong path. If adding perks is called innovation I feel worried for the franchise, im sure the creative people at 343 could think of other more interesting, innovative ways to progress the gameplay forward which fit into the scope of Halo better.

Perks might be awesome, they might have done a good job with it. Who knows, im just glad they can be removed easily enough if they dont work too well. (Assuming they are in the game at all that is.)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

How is it natural? Or how is it even a progression (you didn't use that word, but it fits, I think)? I could imagine ways in which perks or abilities would work, but I don't like treating them as if they're some sort of inevitable or natural next step.

But once again, we're speculating with pretty much zero information, so I'll reserve judgement till we actually know what we're talking about.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Its certainly the logical progression, but I feel that the progression would be unwanted considering the starting steps where hardly well suited for Halo. Going the full distance seems like it would be an odd move. I suppose nothing has been confirmed but im skeptical it will work. I look forward to other changes, but perks or abilities are something I never want to see in Halo.

From the sounds of it Halo 4 is customizable enough for it not to plague the game if it does end up being a misstep though so I cant really complain, I just worry that the steps taken forward are down the wrong path. If adding perks is called innovation I feel worried for the franchise, im sure the creative people at 343 could think of other more interesting, innovative ways to progress the gameplay forward which fit into the scope of Halo better.

Perks might be awesome, they might have done a good job with it. Who knows, im just glad they can be removed easily enough if they dont work too well. (Assuming they are in the game at all that is.)

I think at the very least we owe to them to give them a chance to reveal and explain Halo 4's systems before jumping to any conclusions - although I think it's fair than many fans at this stage stage remain healthily skeptical.

After all, we've all been vocal over the past few years about what we want to see and how we'd like to see things change and improve. We all have our wants and expectations and no doubt the folks at 343 are aware of the focus placed on them carrying things forward.

GhaleonEB

I'm not drawing any conclusions based on so little data. We have almost nothing to go on.

How is it natural? Or how is it even a progression (you didn't use that word, but it fits, I think)? I could imagine ways in which perks or abilities would work, but I don't like treating them as if they're some sort of inevitable or natural next step.

But once again, we're speculating with pretty much zero information, so I'll reserve judgement till we actually know what we're talking about.
It's a progression in the sense that it takes existing elements of the game and integrates them, and moves in the same general direction we've had described; we've got armor customization, and armor abilities. I can see ways those things can fit together that are compatable with what 343 has said so far. It was simply an example I used to illutrate ways Halo 4 could go in the direction they are describing while very much being grounded in the same kind of systems we've already seen (armor customization and armor abilities). It was not my intent to open a debate about the metits of the hypothetical, just to illustrate that for all we know, it could literally be that simple. Or, more dramatic. We do not know.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
One thing I hope Halo 4 nails is BTB. Old school HaloGAF BTB romps back in '08 and '09 were incredibly fun, it's a shame Reach BTB got knocked on its side for the sake of Invasion.

I think at the very least we owe to them to give them a chance to reveal and explain Halo 4's systems before jumping to any conclusions - although I think it's fair than many fans at this stage stage remain healthily skeptical.

After all, we've all been vocal over the past few years about what we want to see and how we'd like to see things change and improve. We all have our wants and expectations and no doubt the folks at 343 are aware of the focus placed on them carrying things forward.

Certainly I tried to frame my post to keep all of that in mind, most of my post is just speculation. I am super excited for the new things and am glad to hear that the bad new things can be easily discarded.

I will say though, just in terms of general discussion, that I am hugely skeptical about perks and the level of creativity going into H4 if they do exist. Halo 1 in some cases introduced genre changing features. Will Halo 4 be able to do the same? Or will perks just be there to compete with the CoD crowd? I certainly hope that if perks are a part of Halo 4 that they are in a very different form than we are used to. Perks which fit into and enhance Halo would be impressive but if they are so different, why call them perks?

The 343 team need to be able to think outside the box and progress the Halo series in such a way that they still manage to stay true to the original formulae, will they have the creativity to think up new features which do that? I certainly wouldn't be able to. Progression cant just be following the market trend is what im trying to say, you need real ingenuity to progress something like the Halo franchise forward. Perks would not be the type of intelligent progress im hoping for.

Reach is a example of when the idea's for progress aren't implemented/thought through well enough, hopefully 343 learnt from those mistakes and are thinking of more interesting ways to push the franchise forward. Rather than just copy ideas, im hoping they think of features other companys will want to copy.

We have never used that term.

I must admit I didn't know that fully, that's good to hear.

I hope that means new features which are tailor designed for Halo rather than features which are influenced by and have the same sort of limitations perks have. I feel like an idiot being so sceptical and honestly, it may not seem like it, but im staying fairly neutral until I actually see the game in action, but its hard not to want to at least think about the various possibilities after hearing general internet chit chat when there is nothing to go by. I look forward to hopefully being totally wrong with the scepticism.

I still think its fair to generically say that I hope the game manages to have new features that influences other games, rather than having new features influenced by other games. I cant wait to see the first real look at that stuff.

I must admit I didn't know that fully, that's good to hear.

I hope that means new features which are tailor designed for Halo rather than features which are influenced by and have the same sort of limitations perks have. I feel like an idiot being so sceptical and honestly, it may not seem like it, but im staying fairly neutral until I actually see the game in action, but its hard not to want to at least think about the various possibilities after hearing general internet chit chat when there is nothing to go by. I look forward to hopefully being totally wrong with the scepticism.

I still think its fair to generically say that I hope the game manages to have new features that influences other games, rather than having new features influenced by other games. I cant wait to see the first real look at that stuff.

i just want to see if the game will continue to have a balanced start, thats ultimately what im nervous of.

Top Bottom