• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

No way in hell is Nintendo going to reveal the final designs of the controller,
or the innards of the WiiU via patents prior to E3. Thats probably just to throw people off their scent. Keep 'em guessing.

They have shown small tweaks as far as internals though that was updating the internals to what was already announced. early patent listed DRC without rumble for instance even though Nintendo announced rumble. Newer patents have rumble motor present now

HylianTom

Banned
That's what Metroid Prime would look like if Crytek made the game.

Retro's will look like...

Fuck you, Ace.
Otherworldly. Alien. Incredible. Begging to be explored.

Damn. Metroid isn't one of those titles where I go to bed wondering what the next one will be like. But if we keep this up.. ugh..

Luigison

If the Wii U cases were real or not, if the TV were plugged to a dev kit hidden behind, etc.

Yes, but were there more specific posts ? Just need to check if one tidbit has been revealed before.
Do you know how the size of the dev kits relates to the Wii U cases at E3? Specifically, are the new kits bigger or smaller?

It's not a big deal, but did you or anyone else ever reveal or guess the colors of the different dev kit versions?

I'll bet you there isn't going to be a Metroid Prime 4. And if there's a new Metroid, it won't be part of the "Prime" series and it won't be made by Retro.
Yeah, let's keep Retro from working on a sequel to the most successful series they've worked on, and give it to someone else to do, after giving it to someone else completely flopped...

Oddduck

Yeah, let's keep Retro from working on a sequel to the most successful series they've worked on, and give it to someone else to do, after giving it to someone else completely flopped...

I didn't say I wanted that.

There's a difference between what I want and what I think will happen.

And sorry to say, but if you want to talk most successful....DKCR was successful critically by gaming media and successful in game sales. Metroid was only successful critically.

And I just think Nintendo doesn't view Metroid as a number 1 priority anymore. Metroid Prime 3 and Other M's sales werent that great.

donny2112

Of the big titles coming out this year that don't have any hints of WiiU confirmation:

Borderlands 2
Resident Evil 6
Max Payne 3
Hitman: Absolution
Devil May Cry
Far Cry 3
Grand Theft Auto 5 (could be this year, we'll see)

Which would you most like to see be confirmed for WiiU at E3?

It has to be GTAV. If GTAV skips Wii U, it'll just reconfirm all the negative, kiddy connotations for Nintendo systems. Having GTAV won't necessarily stop some people from going on believing that, anyways, but not having GTAV would be really bad, from that angle. The others, even RE6, wouldn't have as much impact on that view as GTAV. It never came to GameCube, couldn't be on Wii. It absolutely could be on Wii U, so to skip it again would be quite frustrating for shaking the "kiddy" Nintendo console image.

That's my opinion, anyways. From the actual "what game I'd want to play angle", it'd be RE6, but I figure that'll be a late port, anyways.

And sorry to say, but if you want to talk most successful....DKCR was successful critically by gaming media and successful in game sales. Metroid was only successful critically.

And I just think Nintendo doesn't view Metroid as a number 1 priority anymore. Metroid Prime 3 and Other M's sales werent that great.

Metroid Prime sales were pretty great actually. Prime 3 went on to sell 1.31 million copies. That's not too bad in my opinion.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Do you know how the size of the dev kits relates to the Wii U cases at E3? Specifically, are the new kits bigger or smaller?

It's not a big deal, but did you or anyone else ever reveal or guess the colors of the different dev kit versions?

About the colors of the dev kits:

Firsts ones were black (i know it thanks to another source that the ones i'm referring to in all my "revelations" posts)

V3 was white (another source from the V1 info)

I think V4 is white also (not sure for this one)

And "V5" are of a "special" color, i need to check it before confirming it here.

Nothing groundbreaking, but still intriguing and interesting to picture in your imagination those big development boxes.

About the colors of the dev kits:

Firsts ones were black (i know it thanks to another source that the ones i'm referring to in all my "revelations" posts)

V3 was white (another source from the V1 info)

I think V4 is white also (not sure for this one)

And "V5" are of a "special" color, i need to check it before confirming it here.

Nothing groundbreaking, but still intriguing and interesting to picture in your imagination those big development boxes.

Obviously Pink, since they're renaming it to the Kirby U.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
For the TOS and the personal attacks, the bashing from a few members two days ago was full of it, it was witnessed and irritated members even not too kin of my posting style. It went overboard for 1 or 2 posters, it was intolerable.

And why do you feel this urge to express this negative opinion about me like everytime my nickname appears ? Even after we settled this by PM yesterday ? The lherre post is available for everyone to read, and as the thread 2 proves it, i myself asked for him to just legitimate my info, not me (this is not the relevant matter). And i have every rights, when i come back from work and hope to participate in a friendly thread but see again the same two guys insinuating that i'm like a fraud, to answer them.

Just do a search from speculation thread 2 to this one, username: skiesofwonder, then ideaman in the keyword, i'm sorry but i don't find this normal to stress this much, like systematically, how you doubt someone. And it's clearly not good for the thread climate.

But as i'm <censored>ing tired of reading the same bitter posts of the same 4 or 5 guys since a moment, and as this behavior is seemingly tolerated by TPTB (because this is a "junkyard thread"), i'll do an ultimate effort to legitimate my info, even if the test of time (E3) will prove several things. But then, i'll wait some straight apologizes from some folks that plainly disrespected me. Expressing doubts, keeping cool heads, grain of salts, i pushed people to do so. But one must do it in a civil, polite, and good for the thread atmosphere manner.

For the DRC patent that i see, it was filed in october 2011. There are changes that occurred definitively after.

I'm sorry, are you a mod? Who made you ruler of this thread? I'm personally getting tired of getting an earful because I post doubt in somebody acting like he knows everything, dangles it over us like dogs (which is against TOS), takes credit for news he didn't provide, hasn't been validated by a mod, and can't take criticism worth a lick.

I've already stated it before; if the topic is brought up, I will state my opinion if I am present. Contray to your tall-tales, the majority of my post are NOT about you. Why do you constantly feel the need to back-seat Mod (also against TOS) just becuase two or three of us don't praise everything single thing you say? I thought you welcomed doubt and criticism? It sure as hell doesn't seem that way.

But I'm done giving you the time of day. I will not mention your name for the rest of the period of before E3, and you can go on enjoying your 15 minutes of... Whatever this is.... uncontested by me. Hope E3 works out in a good way for you. :)

comicon2010_oldlink_beauty.jpg

Hyrule.
Hyrule has changed. It's no longer about Rupees, Fairies, or Race. It's an endless series of proxy battles fought by mercenaries and machines. War - and its consumption of life - has become a well-oiled machine. War has changed. Triforce-tagged soldiers carry Trifoce-tagged weapons, use Triforce-tagged gear. Ganonmachines inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities. Genetic control. Information control. Emotion control. Battlefiled control. Everything is monitored and kept under control. Hyrule has changed. The age of deterrence has become the age of control...All in the name of averting catastrophe from weapons of mass destruction. And he who controls the battlefield...controls history. Hyrule has changed. When the battlefield is under total control...War becomes routine

It would definitely open-up the possibility for a lot of "I'm too damn old for this"-type jokes.
Maybe Sean Connery could provide Link's voice, even if it's just the grunts, the ooohs, the hi-yas, and the aaahhs.

I'm thinking more Gary Busey, players would be on their edge of their seats in horror during cutscenes even when Link is having conversations with his grandma.

My point was, from a business point of view, it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to give the Metroid franchise to someone other than Retro, after how successful Retro was with it and how unsuccessful another company was. I think if Nintendo were to make a new console Metroid game, they would give it to Retro to make.

Metroid Prime sold like 1.5 million copies in the US alone, those are good sales numbers. Maybe not as good as DKCR, but DKCR also had a lot more marketing behind it - Nintendo barely pushed Metroid Prime for some reason. Nintendo has never viewed Metroid as a big seller, the entire series has always sold horribly in Japan.

BD1

Banned
I posted a message mixing some infos from Ubi job offers about an hypothetic Just Dance 4, that tends to hint towards a use of one of the Wii U camera (for the moment the DRC's, but it could be a USB one, etc.) à la Kinect.

Yep, I remember the Just Dance 4 speculation. I think it's pretty obvious Nintendo will be using camera motion tracking in its games. It's probably more cost effective to use the DRC camera with the controller propped on a stand, but a second camera in the sensor bar opens up so many more gameplay possibilities.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
irrelevant post

Here's what i'm explaining
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

And there are maybe some others posts quoting others talking about me without the word "ideaman" being written.

This is what i'm talking about. Expressing doubts, no problem. Doing it 15+ times in 2 months, with in 3 or 4 messages a clear insinuation that i'm a fraud, taking all the occasion to declare it, there is definitively a pattern here, and it's not good for the thread atmosphere. This is of course, my opinion, my feeling.

Skiesofwonder

My point was, from a business point of view, it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to give the Metroid franchise to someone other than Retro, after how successful Retro was with it and how unsuccessful another company was. I think if Nintendo were to make a new console Metroid game, they would give it to Retro to make.

Metroid Prime sold like 1.5 million copies in the US alone, those are good sales numbers. Maybe not as good as DKCR, but DKCR also had a lot more marketing behind it - Nintendo barely pushed Metroid Prime for some reason. Nintendo has never viewed Metroid as a big seller, the entire series has always sold horribly in Japan.

They pushed the first Metroid Prime pretty big actually. They created an awesome commercial and had tons of print/web advertisements. I remember the first Splinter Cell was released right around then and MP had more frequent advertisements on the stations I watched.

I can't believe how close to E3 we are!

It's going to be great, because I'm sure we'll all be able to have a calm and logical discussion regarding Nintendo and the WiiU, and that no one will overreact.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Conference OT talk makes me excited.
You'd hope someone at Nintendo would be smart enough to put two and two together realize Team Ninja's inability to meet what was expected of them as a studio might have had something to do with the recent departure of their head and lead director.
They pushed the first Metroid Prime pretty big actually. They created an awesome commercial and had tons of print/web advertisements. I remember the first Splinter Cell was released right around then and MP had more frequent advertisements on the stations I watched.
Yeah, Metroid Prime had as much marketing as any Gamecube game, bar Super Mario Sunshine and possibly The Wind Waker.

filler

Banned
I'm sorry, are you a mod? Who made you ruler of this thread? I'm personally getting tired of getting an earful because I post doubt in somebody acting like he knows everything, dangles it over us like dogs (which is against TOS), takes credit for news he didn't provide, hasn't been validated by a mod, and can't take criticism worth a lick.

I've already stated it before; if the topic is brought up, I will state my opinion if I am present. Contray to your tall-tales, the majority of my post are NOT about you. Why do you constantly feel the need to back-seat Mod (also against TOS) just becuase two or three of us don't praise everything single thing you say? I thought you welcomed doubt and criticism? It sure as hell doesn't seem that way.

But I'm done giving you the time of day. I will not mention your name for the rest of the period of before E3, and you can go on enjoying your 15 minutes of... Whatever this is.... uncontested by me. Hope E3 works out in a good way for you. :)

I agree with the content of this post.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As I said earlier in the thread, Metroid Prime with modern hardware and a bit more flash to the presentation would probably be a bigger hit than it was during the GCN/PS2/Xbox generation. In an alternative history where HD Metroid Prime was a launch title for the Wii U, I think it would be a pretty big deal.

Skiesofwonder

As I said earlier in the thread, Metroid Prime with modern hardware and a bit more flash to the presentation would probably be a bigger hit than it was during the GCN/PS2/Xbox generation. In an alternative history where HD Metroid Prime was a launch title for the Wii U, I think it would be a pretty big deal.

I still believe. :/

I hope the next Metroid gives you an entire planet to explore with many different environments to find and secrets to unlock and creatures crawling in many nooks and crannies.

Make Samus crash land somewhere. Like the Tomb Raider reboot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom