• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redford

aka Cabbie
IRC is pretty much all lurkers. >_>

ukbwO.gif

Brilliant.

japtor

this is NOT true.
I purchased a USB 2.0 HDD last summer and did a lot searching. Unless something drastic has changed since then, no USB 2.0 HDD is even close to reaching the theoretical maximum transfer speed of USB.
At most they are at half that number.

edit: adding a source for future reference in case someone on GAF decides to write a guide for buying an external hdd for Wii U

"the full real-life maximum throughput of USB 2.0 is approximately 32 MB/s" according to Tom's Hardware
(theoretical maximum for USB2.0 is 60 MB/s)
I never said anything about theoretical max :p

I said most newer HDs are limited by USB 2.0, which yeah, is around 30MB/s real world (...even theoretical speed wise it'd still be true though since most drives push over 100MB/s nowadays).

Either that, or some other 3D content..

I wonder if we'll see any 3D output from the Wii U; Iwata did at one moment say it would be possible.

I'd be overjoyed if the DRC has glasses-free 3D...can't see it happening though unfortunately. I thought the 'Wow Factor' of the 3D with the 3DS would have worn off by now but it's still very cool indeed at times, particularly when things appear to pop out of the screen.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I think we need something to ease the hype-induced pressure. A great chiptune has always done it for me. Allow me to suggest #37 from here.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I never said anything about theoretical max :p

I said most newer HDs are limited by USB 2.0, which yeah, is around 30MB/s real world (...even theoretical speed wise it'd still be true though since most drives push over 100MB/s nowadays).

sorry about that, was overzealous. I thought you meant any USB 2.0 hdd would do..

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I can't take anymore of the Wii U threads in Gaming, I need the Nintendo Direct to start already!

Two hours.

AHAH
the main problem looking at their official statements is that this NDirect will just be a summary of what we can do with the new controller, some sort of summary of what we saw last year at E3. Just for who forget about it, due to the long silence around the console. No game will be shown, we'll have to wait 'til June 5th for those...

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
^^^

An Update: I now have over 50 people signed up. If you are thinking about playing you might want to get your Bingo Cards before the Nintendo Direct kicks off. For anyone signing up between that and Tuesday's conference, I will probably drop any items that show up during the Nintendo Direct. So the early adopters will definitely have an advantage if they already have things like "Case Design" and "Analog Triggers" that are seen in the ND.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
^^^

An Update: I now have over 50 people signed up. If you are thinking about playing you might want to get your Bingo Cards before the Nintendo Direct kicks off. For anyone signing up between that and Tuesday's conference, I will probably drop any items that show up during the Nintendo Direct. So the early adopters will definitely have an advantage if they already have things like a "Case Design" and "Analog Triggers" that were seen in the ND.

what's this about?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
just read the instructions. how do plan on distributing the prizes? (international mail etc)
Yes, winners will get their prizes in the mail; I won't require people to drop by my place to them up.

AHAH
the main problem looking at their official statements is that this NDirect will just be a summary of what we can do with the new controller, some sort of summary of what we saw last year at E3. Just for who forget about it, due to the long silence around the console. No game will be shown, we'll have to wait 'til June 5th for those...
There's more they can show us than just games. Secret hardware features (ie, the mystery button(s) seen on the controller leak), operating system, networking, 2-controller support, system specs, whether the joysticks click...

AntMurda

I just heard the IGN NVC June 1st "Wii U" guesses for games. And wow. Didn't these guys have sources at some point. Didn't being an IGN Nintendo editor mean you had some contacts in the industry.

These guys have ZERO. ZERO. And then it seems they have a small grip or understanding about Nintendo to really try and produce guesses off of calculations or research.

Linkhero1

I just heard the IGN NVC June 1st "Wii U" guesses for games. And wow. Didn't these guys have sources at some point. Didn't being an IGN Nintendo editor mean you had some contacts in the industry.

These guys have ZERO. ZERO. And then it seems they have a small grip or understanding about Nintendo to really try and produce guesses off of calculations or research.

Once Matt and Bozon left IGN Nintendo went down hill.

Anth0ny

Just listened to it at work. Everyone seems to think Retro Star Fox is happening...

I don't think we'll see Star Fox, Metroid or F-Zero at all. Maybe a Metroid for 3DS.

Hello NeoGAF,

Greetings from the german-speaking countries from ConsoleWars. For the past few years you have been an inspiration for us. Your insightful postings and funny gifs are well known on the internet. Our community took the liberty to use your Hype Train and change it to our needs.

Over the years we have developed our very own memes and insiders. One of them is "Pika", of course coming from the Pokémon "Pikachu", a nickname for our Nintendo-Fans that is not exactly praising for our Nintendo- and especially the Wii-Fans on CW.

We heard enough (insults) over the past years. 2nd rate gamer, nongamer, "pikas am cry" (lit.: crying pikas), Aletegamer (a baby food brand from Nestlé here in Europe), Pampersgamer, Waggler and so on. But this time we made a difference with your Hype Train Image from the last E³. As far as we can see we drove our Sonyfans into a never before seen desperation because of the sheer number of Nintendofans that haunt CW.de. People even go as far as to call the staff a corrupted syndicate of Nintendo fanboys.

We would like to thank you for your work on the Hype Train (which we shamelessly stole). Now we are ready for E³ 2012.

szkag.jpg

hkd82wtw.gif

PS: There are some very active GAF users on board, 208 individual Pikas and Waldo. :)

Zero148

I don't think we'll see Star Fox, Metroid or F-Zero at all.

which would be a shame, because with the new horepower all three franchises could be real graphical showcases, and the gameplay could benefit too.

Imagine a HD F-Zero @1080p/60fps and 30 person online multiplayer

AntMurda

Just listened to it at work. Everyone seems to think Retro Star Fox is happening...

I don't think we'll see Star Fox, Metroid or F-Zero at all. Maybe a Metroid for 3DS.

While I still think based off the hirings and business sense, I think Retro Studios should work on a Nintendo FPA. Something just as good as Prime, but with a new ip.

But. If they did Star Fox. It would be pretty awesome I must admit.

I am hoping Sakamoto's SPD team does a Metroid 5 on 3DS. I figure they probably have to do a real SM3 type game to heal the controversy of Other M.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Second appetizer before the Nintendo Direct :)

Wii U dev kits including drive with their "final form" - No redesign for the system ?

As i revealed before, third-parties apparently received the latest Wii U dev kits, which came with separate disc drives. The firsts versions of those dev kits are big boxes that you may have seen for previous systems and generally don't have the final shape of a console as there are no aesthetically requirements, they are intended for developers. The lasts versions may adopt the final look of a platform with some modifications.

It appears other dev kits were sent to studios lately, this time with a disc drive built-in, and a more presentable shape. They are basically the luigi Wii dev kits of the Wii U (the one with the green faceplate and using the retail Wii design). They mostly bring two news:

- No hardware changes between the mass production dev kits (the bland boxes) and this latest version with a drive.

- It seems the case is the same that the Wii U showed at E3 2011.

These points could hint toward 3 scenarios:

1) The Wii U you'll see at E3 2012 will look like the ones at E3 2011. No redesign. In this very same event, there's a possibility that they'll take advantage of the additional months before the launch to modify it.

2) As the Wii "luigi" dev kits were different in colors and maybe small other things than the Wii on shelves, perhaps the E3 2012 Wii U will have another color, minor alterations of the shape, buttons, etc.

3) Or Nintendo designed secretly a new case for the unit available for consumers that they will show at E3 2012, and the Wii U dev kits received lately simply aren't like that. Maybe because of the leaks, they have hidden this final form to foreign studios.

So consider all these scenarios, but the fact that the "final form" dev kits bring, it seems (grain of salt as always) no apparent modifications, could indicate that there won't be a redesigned Wii U, at E3 2012 at least, or just small differences. Or that Big N have kept this redesigned under thick rugs not visible from third-parties.

As always, it's rumors, second-hand knowledge, hearsays, but i hope that they will change the design though, the proportions are strange, the system is too depth. But it could be their stance, the system is "just a box", the core experience, the main interest is the controller + the features, and i'm sure we'll get accustomed to it, even more with a nice color & glossy material. What's your feeling, your wishes, about this ?

Second appetizer before the Nintendo Direct :)

Wii U dev kits including drive with their "final form" - No redesign for the system ?

As i revealed before, third-parties apparently received the latest Wii U dev kits, which came with separate disc drives. The firsts versions of those dev kits are big boxes that you may have seen for previous systems and generally don't have the final shape of a console as there are no aesthetically requirements, they are intended for developers. The lasts versions may adopt the final look of a platform with some modifications.

It appears other dev kits were sent to studios lately, this time with a disc drive built-in, and a more presentable shape. They are basically the luigi Wii dev kits of the Wii U (the one with the green faceplate and using the retail Wii design). They mostly bring two news:

- No hardware changes between the mass production dev kits (the bland boxes) and this latest version with a drive.

- It seems the case is the same that the Wii U showed at E3 2011.

These points could hint toward 3 scenarios:

1) The Wii U you'll see at E3 2012 will look like the ones at E3 2011. No redesign. In this very same event, there's a possibility that they'll take advantage of the additional months before the launch to modify it.

2) As the Wii "luigi" dev kits were different in colors and maybe small other things than the Wii on shelves, perhaps the E3 2012 Wii U will have another color, minor alterations of the shape, buttons, etc.

3) Or Nintendo designed secretly a new case for the unit available for consumers that they will show at E3 2012, and the Wii U dev kits received lately simply aren't like that. Maybe because of the leaks, they have hidden this final form to foreign studios.

So consider all these scenarios, but the fact that the "final form" dev kits bring, it seems (grain of salt as always) no apparent modifications, could indicate that there won't be a redesigned Wii U, at E3 2012 at least, or just small differences. Or that Big N have kept this redesigned under thick rugs not visible from third-parties.

As always, it's rumors, second-hand knowledge, hearsays, but i hope that they will change the design though, the proportions are strange, the system is too depth. But it could be their stance, the system is "just a box", the core experience, the main interest is the controller + the features, and i'm sure we'll get accustomed to it, even more with a nice color & glossy material. What's your feeling, your wishes, about this ?
Gah, I was hoping for a redesign :(.

AGITΩ

The Console will look the same? D:
Thats my biggest complaint about it, it wasnt aesthetically pleasing, and just looked like a round Wii, cant even stand it up, so it'll take up more shelf space. Will now my hype for Nintendo Direct is dead, 'cause that was the one thing I was looking forward to.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
^^^

An Update: I now have over 50 people signed up. If you are thinking about playing you might want to get your Bingo Cards before the Nintendo Direct kicks off. For anyone signing up between that and Tuesday's conference, I will probably drop any items that show up during the Nintendo Direct. So the early adopters will definitely have an advantage if they already have things like "Case Design" and "Analog Triggers" that are seen in the ND.

Check your PMs, I sent you one!

japtor

Hello NeoGAF,

Greetings from the german-speaking countries from ConsoleWars. For the past few years you have been an inspiration for us. Your insightful postings and funny gifs are well known on the internet. Our community took the liberty to use your Hype Train and change it to our needs.

Over the years we have developed our very own memes and insiders. One of them is "Pika", of course coming from the Pokémon "Pikachu", a nickname for our Nintendo-Fans that is not exactly praising for our Nintendo- and especially the Wii-Fans on CW.

We heard enough (insults) over the past years. 2nd rate gamer, nongamer, "pikas am cry" (lit.: crying pikas), Aletegamer (a baby food brand from Nestlé here in Europe), Pampersgamer, Waggler and so on. But this time we made a difference with your Hype Train Image from the last E³. As far as we can see we drove our Sonyfans into a never before seen desperation because of the sheer number of Nintendofans that haunt CW.de. People even go as far as to call the staff a corrupted syndicate of Nintendo fanboys.

We would like to thank you for your work on the Hype Train (which we shamelessly stole). Now we are ready for E³ 2012.

szkag.jpg

hkd82wtw.gif

PS: There are some very active GAF users on board ;) And look for Waldo.
Germans really do love David Hasselhoff don't they?

royalan

No redesign is disappointing. The Wii U design (as we currently know it) has to be the blandest piece of gaming hardware to come out of The House That Mario Built.

I mean....matte white? In 2012? Gag...

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
If we'll see a completely redesigned Wii U(very extensive changes) tonight, then it was hidden to third-parties, as they supplied the latest dev kits with drive integrated, like the luigi Wii dev kits, using the design we saw at E3 2011.

It's not impossible huh :) I covered the 3 scenarios. But the more likely is no redesign, or a very small one (maybe change of color, etc.).

HylianTom

Banned
If we'll see a completely redesigned (very extensive changes) tonight, then it was hidden to third-parties, as they supplied the latest dev kits with drive integrated, like the luigi Wii dev kits, using the design we saw at E3 2011.

It's not impossible huh :) I covered the 3 scenarios. But the more likely is no redesign, or a very small one (maybe change of color, etc.).

That'd be quite a rabbit to pull out of their hat on the eve of the big kickoff, haha.. I'd love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom