• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2012 Conference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I thought the Sony one was the worse of teh bunch, but the issue here is that Nintendo had a new console to talk about and they did not deliver. I mean, with a new system Nintendo should of won by default, but this conference did not make me want a Wii U....

The funniest response is how the crowd went crazy when they said "you can use 2 controllers"...wow such a novel idea...2 controllers...but did you hear that if you use 2 controllers it cuts back performance of the game you are playing??? Here is what Engaget stated about it:

Update: In a follow-up, Nintendo Japan has posted on Twitter that there's a price to pay if two Gamepads are active. Frame rates drop to about 30 fps if two are active; any games that really want that extra controller won't be quite as glass-smooth. On the upside, it's possible to switch one off with a smooth transition; there won't be a need for theatrics just to switch to a solo game.

That is just f'n sad!

Are you fucking kidding me?

Guys...

All this shows is that many of Nintendo's studio's are still working.

RETRO'S GAME IS COMING.

MONOLITHSOFT'S GAME IS COMING.

3D MARIO IS COMING.

ZELDA IS COMING.

SMASH IS COMING.

ALL OF NINTENDO'S STUFF IS COMING.

This show showed nice 3rd party support.

Rayman Legends is an awesome exclusive.

ZombiU looked good, much better than expected.

Scribblenauts is awesome.

Mass Effect 3

Lego City Stories looked amazing, both creatively and graphically.

They are just showing launch stuff, Nintendo's has NintendoDirect now to show stuff as it's finished, and this was only half their stuff, we still get the 3DS conference tomorrow.

It wasn't the BEST conference for us, but Wii-U looked like it had an awesome launch selection for me.

I'm a Nintendo/PC gamer, i've never played an Assasins Creed, now I will. Batman will have the DLC and the new gameplay mechanics, i'm excited for that. Many Nintendo gamers haven't played MAss Effect, now they can. Darksiders is the definitive version...

How many console's can boast as awesome a launch lineup as

Pikmen 3
2D Mario
Assassins Creed 3
Rayman Legends (Exclusive 3rd party)
Lego City Stories (Exclusive 3rd Party
EA Sports games
Tekken Tag 2
Nintendo Land
Scribblenauts
ZombiU (exclusive 3rd party new IP)
Exlusive Platinum studios game published by Nintendo...

Awesome launch lineup.

Nintendo's big guns are absolutely coming, and what they showed looked super sweet.

Even though there was no Retro bomb, and the ending was a bit weak, I'm still impressed. Probably not day 1, though, but I'll get a Wii U

And for everyone that's raging:

stoner-sloth-meme-generator-its-k-bro-just-chill-out-49c446.jpg

Davey Cakes

As someone who enjoys Wii Sports, Resort, Wii Party, and the Mario Party franchise, while I can't say I'm excited to play NintendoLand, I think the game looks really fun. Wouldn't get me to buy the console, but it seems like it'd be a no-brainer for social gatherings in the same way as the Wii's best multiplayer games.

I do think Nintendo put too much of it into the conference, and I think it's silly to consider it a "big game" (even though the Wii ___ franchise is big for Nintendo), but as a Wii gamer I just saw another fun social experience. No reason to shit on it.

Majine

Banned
Microsoft 3/10
+ Matt and Trey
- Long periods of no games being shown
- Final game wasn't an unannounced one
- No real megatons

EA 5/10
+ Very little bullshit, just game to game
+ Simcity
- No Mirror's Edge
- Boring

Ubisoft 9/10
+ Far Cry 3
+ Rayman Legends
+ Assassin's Creed 3
++ Watch_Dogs
- Annoying co-host
- Bad start

Sony 5/10
+ Cool Stage
+ The Last of Us
- No Big Vita game that wasn't a port or a spinoff
- Too much time spent on each demo
- Especially the magic book
- No final reveal

Nintendo 6/10
+ Pikmin 3
+ They atleast spent some time on 3DS
+ Good amount of Reggie humor
- Mario x 3. We get it.
- Lack of interesting games beyond Pikmin 3

Krilekk

Banned
You must have obviously missed the HTPC portion of the 360 conference that even the SP guys ripped on as laughable

And then....USHER

But yeah go ahead and think MS was better

Microsoft had two hours and one was crap. Nintendo had one hour and two thirds were crap.

It's time for Nintendo to create a new IP, this shit is getting ridiculous.

Last time they made a new one, we ended up with Steel Diver.

Going by general GAF impressions, it was a spiteful slap in the face to gamers. So maybe it's for the best that they didn't make another new series for the WiiU's launch.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
From the Speculation Thread V:

bgassassin said:
Andrex said:
Hype yourselves up all you want, you'll have to deal with it when the train derails. Personally, I got burned from last year. I didn't even sleep the night before, and yet the Wii U reveal was so pedestrian and lacking. The only thing that made up for it was the 3DS stuff, and even that was lacking in third-party stuff compared to the previous E3.

The content should be there. It will boil down to execution. If executed right 2006 should become #2 in the Nintendo E3 rankings.

bgassassin said:
Andrex said:
To top 2006, Wii U would need:

- Some kind of Zelda game or port
- A new Mario that looks revolutionarily on-par with Mario Galaxy
- A new, exclusive third-party FPS game
- A mainline Metroid (Prime) game
- A great-looking exclusive Sonic game
- A CG clip of an exclusive Final Fantasy (Crystal Chronicles) game
- A Dragon Quest (spinoff) game
- A new Excite (Truck) game
- Four new first-party IPs (Disaster, Wii Sports, Wii Music, Project HAMMER)
- A Rayman (spinoff) game
- A new Smash trailer*

(Parentheses denote 2006-specific modifier.)

It would also need these for 3DS:

- A new Yoshi's Island game
- A new, online-enabled Star Fox game

All to be shown off during the conference. So that's two we know of. If Killer Freaks counts as an exclusive FPS, then three. Will the rest make an appearance? In order for it to top 2006, they'll have to.

*Smash wasn't shown off during the conference, of course, but it should at least make an appearance at E3 for it to even come close to 2006.

I still stand by my opinion even after seeing your requirements.

YOU LIED

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Here is the thing about Nintendo.

Nintendo "Here is the new Luigi's Mansion multiplayer game"
You "Hey, that looks kinda cool, like making Pac Man multiplayer, and it has more tactics than I expected"
Nintendo "THAT WILL BE $50, BITCH"
You "WTF IT LOOKS LIKE A $10 DD GAME"
Nintendo "YOU HAVE TO BUY A WII U FOR THIS SHIT TOO! BUAHAHAHAHA!"

Then you become a PC gamer and live happily ever after.

BFIB

I'm so sick and tired of year and and year out seeing the hardcore gamer constantly being left behind. Gaming is mainstream, and it seems like the 3 big publishers forgot who brought them to the dance.

Nintendo has been working on the WiiU for a while obviously. There is no reason, whatsoever, as to why there wasn't a slew of games being shown. Which tells me, its the Wii all over again.

suaveric

There were some weird choices. To end on Nintendoland was an odd choice. I thought for sure they were holding off on one last big game (Retro's?).

Czigga

What I don’t understand is why they don’t at least acknowledge the vast expectations they must have known everyone has. They should at least say something like “While we know you were hoping to see new Zelda, new Mario Galaxy, new Mario Kart, new Metroid, new Smash Bros, etc., unfortunately we are not ready to show them yet. But they are all in production, and they will all be AWESOME.” They should have at least given us 3 second clips in the sizzle reel ffs.

To just ignore the giant pink elephant in the room is a huge blunder on their part. Close with ANOTHER look at Nintendoland, a game they had already talked about earlier? Wtf were they thinking. I had the stream going on in the background at work and I have no clue wtf it is nor do I really have any interest. Looked like obvious toddler/grandma fodder. And toddlers and grandmas don’t give a shit about E3.

Even more baffling is that this was after Iwata (I think) recently said something along the lines of “we learned from our mistakes by waiting too long to release our blockbuster franchise games on new systems”.

Really just shocked at how poorly they handled this. While I loved Pikmin, it is not a system seller. It wasn’t for Gamecube and won’t be for Wii U.

jedimike

The presser succeeded in getting me interested in the 3DS. I found the the titles on 3DS much more exciting than anything on WiiU. Since Sony neglected the Vita, 3DS is now at the top of my handheld list.

Of the WiiU titles shown, I only found the Lego game remotely interesting. I'd rather play a 2d Mario on the 3DS.

AzaK

The only reason I can think of for such a shitty conference was that they, once again didn't give a shit about core gamers and so went for a conference for mainstream media again.

kiryogi

Banned
Yeah, they learned how to perfect its mediocrity.

And the ironic thing is, the 3DS had a great reveal. Wii U's blown it twice.

Did they blow it really? If Nintendo Land is their next Wii Sports, I'd say they're laughing all the way to the bank again.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The third party list is barren. EA couldn't even be bother to release Madden.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm sorry, but for hardcore gamers; this was the worst console reveal of all-time.

I fear for Nintendo on the home console front.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
exaggerated backlash here is astounding.

Just astounding.

It was a meh conference. They blew it.

So that means Wii U will never have any games besides Pikmen 3, NSMB U, and Wii Fit U... EVAR.

Pack it up, Nintendo has stopped developing games!

All that really happened here is they chose the wrong things to emphasize in order to win over a hardcore audience that was - judging by these reactions - primed and ready to rip them apart if said audience didn't have pure rainbows injected into their veins.

By the standards of overwrought reactions we are getting, Halo 4 and Xbox 720 are clearly canceled because of how bad the MS press conference was.

Vargavinter

Nintendo this is your big chance to outshine both Sony and Microsoft in this E3.
The Goal is wide open, just shoot and score, easy as that!

predator.gif

GOD DAMNIT!

eilegz

Banned
well it ws better than microsoft conference, but the amount of ports of current games wont save the wiiu, i was expecting more AAA third party games not the same that it was announced last year.

Patcher was right disappointing E3 ubisoft winning the E3 its so random...

Guys...

All this shows is that many of Nintendo's studio's are still working.

RETRO'S GAME IS COMING.

MONOLITHSOFT'S GAME IS COMING.

3D MARIO IS COMING.

ZELDA IS COMING.

SMASH IS COMING.

ALL OF NINTENDO'S STUFF IS COMING.
in 2014?

This is about what system launch titles will look like. We're not satisfied at all with what we saw today. I didn't see a damn thing that said, "yes, I need to spend $300 + $60 to play this game."

Did you?

That's the problem. By the time those games come out, a price drop will have come.

beje

Banned
Meh, I'm surprised that people still don't know what Nintendo does at E3. Tell me when you stop crying in an internet forum, I'll be playing games in the meantime.

Pociask

The console does seem to have a pretty good launch lineup, as pretty much all the games shown at the conference will be out before the end of the year. The problem is that Nintendo hasn't shown a single game that's coming out after that.

This. People buy consoles as long term investments as much as they do for games right now. Nintendo needs to show that they're not going to be Dreamcasted. Before today, I was very confident Nintendo would avoid such a fate. Today, I did not see a single new Activision or EA game releasing for the Wii U.

Here was a conference put on by a Nintendo totally different than of six years ago.
This was a Nintendo that is truly terrified of it's shareholders. And to appease the angry shareholder gods they gave us their safest bets: Wii Fit, Mario, and success-proven third party titles.

Terrible. Nintendo had a golden opportunity to not only blow all of the other conferences out of the water but also a chance to beat their 2006 showing as the best E3 conference of all-time - and they blew it. Unbelievable.

Where's the support from EA..? Activision..? Capcom..? Square Enix..?

Christ on a bike, even the Wii had a more impressive line up and third parties didn't take Wii development seriously for 2 years after launch!!!

Looks like Ubisoft, Sega, Warner Bros. and THQ are the only publishers showing any effort.

No news of the Retro or Monolith Soft projects either. Very disappointed. When will this company ever fucking learn. That was an Epic Fail of the highest order.

EXGN

Nintendo (and to a lesser extent Sony and MS) have figured out how E3 works. For a few years now, the console makers have been using the E3 conferences primarily as a way of reaching people who don't typically pay any attention to gaming news.

I don't buy this. It certainly seems that way based on what they announced, but not by who they invited. Literally tons of enthusiast press in the audience (IE, the guys/gals that wan't TLG, TLU, Zelda, SSB, Halo, etc.). Sony even invited hundreds of fans to the event. Why invite this audience if you honestly aren't trying to appeal to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom