• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Id Software Talks Doom 3: BFG Edition on PS3

Loudninja

PSB: How about the first two games – was anything tweaked there for PS3?

EW: They are pretty much straight ports, but I will say that they run really fast at 60 frames per second, even with four-player split screen play going on. If you’ve got a big TV that’s really going to stand out. The guys basically wrote it from scratch to get it working on PS3.

PSB: So there’s the addition of the mounted flashlight to the game. Has anything else been modified for PS3?

EW: We’re making textural improvements to the characters and demons. We’ve completely rewritten the network code so that multiplayer is a better experience. In addition there’s also the Lost Mission Pack, containing seven new levels. They pick up from a certain part of the story line in the main game – without giving too much away, it’ll all make sense when you play it. You’re a different guy in a different part of the base but it’s the same world.
PSB: How do you balance staying true to the original game with making improvements?

EW: Your first inclination is to make big sweeping changes because it’s something that you’ve looked at for a long time, so it doesn’t feel fresh anymore. We’ve really focused on keeping the core experience there. From talking to people on the show floor, a lot of them weren’t too happy with the idea of the flashlight as something separate. So integrating the flashlight into your main weapon seemed like a no-brainer, yet even then we still had people say they wanted to play the original way.

Another piece of feedback we had was that the game was too dark, so we’ve lit it some more here and there and tried to lead the player’s eye a little more. So there’ll be two modes – the original, unchanged version of Doom 3 and the updated one.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/22/id-software-talks-doom-3-bfg-edition-on-ps3/

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm glad Doom 1 and 2 are running at 60 FPS even in 4 player split screen. The power of PLAYSTATION 3.

Z3M0G

Would have loved it if they called it the "Duct Tape Edition". I'm sure everyone would have loved that.

What is 4-player split screen? Competitive only? Any form of co-op? I can really see myself buying this. Does this also include the Expansion? (What was it called?)

Nibel

Never played Doom 3 before. Is it actually scary or is it more Dead Space-y?

It has a few good moments (especially when new types of enemies are introduced), but then it becomes more and more action packed and monsters just spawn out of some bright hell symbol.

Ocaso

Doesn't say anything about 60fps for Doom 3 itself, but Carmack is so vehemently against lag that I have a hard time seeing it as anything 30fps game. I'm pretty sure he tweeted that it was 60 fps at some point.

It'll be interesting to go through this game again. I only ever played the original on the OG Xbox, and I must say I was a big fan. Of course, that one was already brighter, so I wonder if he means this is similar to the Xbox version or brighter in a whole new way. Looking forward to it.

Excuse my ignorance but will the actual Doom 3 BFG run in 60fps?

Doesn't say anything about 60fps for Doom 3 itself, but Carmack is so vehemently against lag that I have a hard time seeing it as anything 30fps game. I'm pretty sure he tweeted that it was 60 fps at some point.

@SpektrumSieci @DOOM Just getting Doom 3 BFG to 60fps on the PS3 is more challenging than you would think. Stencil shadows are raster pigs.

http://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/212557388987895810

The excuse for no-Move support is quite entertaining.

How many third party FPS games use Move? I know that there was a PSN game by Gameloft that used it and Counter-Strike will also. But that seems to be about it. Most devs just don't care to implement it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The excuse for no-Move support is quite entertaining.
Not wanting to change core mechanics for a gimmicky periferal? Sounds fine to me.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
How many third party FPS games use Move? I know that there was a PSN game by Gameloft that used it and Counter-Strike will also. But that seems to be about it. Most devs just don't care to implement it.

Shame on them :p

Anyway, not all really shooters but, GoldenEye 007, Snipers, Dust 514, Bioshock Infinite, Portal 2 In Motion, Stranger's Wrath HD, The Unfinished Swan.

Not wanting to change core mechanics for a gimmicky periferal? Sounds fine to me.

Yeah, because playing MAG, KZ3, SOCOM 4 or R3 with Move "changed the core mechanics".

Nobody is asking for a Portal 2 In Motion-level of Move implementation where new mechanics are built around the motion controls. You can definitely keep the core mechanics intact while making the game more fun to play.

RedSwirl

During last year's Steam Christmas Sale I already went and bought copies of DOOM and DOOM 2, but passed up 3 because I heard people didn't like it as much. BFG Edition gonna be worth it given this? What's that even gonna get you on Steam? Giftable copies of the first two games?

My Doom experience actually began on a playstation console.

I wouldn't mind replaying Doom 3 with the new levels. I was a fan of the game. But I wonder how much it will cost ?
Nice of them to do a ground up PS3 port. But I don't know if I'd pay more than $20 for this.

Nizz

That's cool that you can play the original way with having the flashlight on all the time. I'll give both modes a try though, the original and the updated one with the mounted flashlight.

I'm honestly excited to play this at 60fps with the updated bells and whistles. I never had a PC powerful enough to play, and I've pretty much played on consoles forever.

That's cool that you can play the original way with having the flashlight on all the time. I'll give both modes a try though, the original and the updated one with the mounted flashlight.

I'm honestly excited to play this at 60fps with the updated bells and whistles. I never had a PC powerful enough to play, and I've pretty much played on consoles forever.

Most excited about analog movement, HDTV display + 60fps/comfy couch, and proper 5.1 ...as in, they're ditching or at least updating that shitty sound engine

Seanspeed

Banned
It was a good movie
Ejl1z.gif

Please God, please release the standalone games on psn. I know it won't happen now because they want people to buy the whole package, but I want doom 2 without having to buy the other games T_T

no buy unless Doom 1 has the ambient soundtrack from the PS1 version. it was creepy as fuck, made the game one of the most unnerving and scariest games ever for me. the corny rock music from the PC version sucks IMO, no matter how legendary it is.

Top Bottom