• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Id Software Talks Doom 3: BFG Edition on PS3

no buy unless Doom 1 has the ambient soundtrack from the PS1 version. it was creepy as fuck, made the game one of the most unnerving and scariest games ever for me. the corny rock music from the PC version sucks IMO, no matter how legendary it is.
Yeah. Love it. I used to play it with headphones in the dark after smoking up. Music + sound effects = so damn freaky. True survival horror, lol. I picked up a used copy a few years ago to re-live that, but I had forgotten that the game was released before the dual shock was a standard and it can only be played with a d-pad and strafe button. Worked just fine back in the day but after so many years of using dual sticks I could not hack more than a level or two.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looking forward to this. Should be a lot of fun. Changes sound good without messing with the core game too much and it's nice they included an unaltered version of the game. I've only ever played Doom 3 at 800x600 on low settings at a shitty framerate so I'm looking forward to this. Haven't played the expansion either and the lost levels should be cool.

Tain

60FPS DOOM 2 even when running 4 player split screen? PS3 is a BEAST.

To be fair, the game logic and timing of Doom and Doom 2 are all built around a hard 30fps cap. It was a long time (like, not until 2003 or 2004 I think) before source ports like ZDoom supported 60fps.

Ranger X

The only thing I hope is that they will have a buffer for the weapon change.
On XBLA, let's say you want to change from Chainsaw to machine gun, pressing 4 times on the weapon change very fast won't work. You need to wait for each weapon to come and show itself on screen before passing on the other one. This actually breaks the game. At least for a Doom freak like me.

pmj

Never played Doom 3 before. Is it actually scary or is it more Dead Space-y?
Doom 3 is, as has been said, a lot like Dead Space with the monster closets and jump scares. The expansion, Resurrection of Evil, is much more action oriented.

JB1981

Shame on them :p

Anyway, not all really shooters but, GoldenEye 007, Snipers, Dust 514, Bioshock Infinite, Portal 2 In Motion, Stranger's Wrath HD, The Unfinished Swan.

Yeah, because playing MAG, KZ3, SOCOM 4 or R3 with Move "changed the core mechanics".

Nobody is asking for a Portal 2 In Motion-level of Move implementation where new mechanics are built around the motion controls. You can definitely keep the core mechanics intact while making the game more fun to play.

Give up on Move already lol

Looking forward to this. RAGE was a disappointment. Hopefully Carmack going back to basics with these ports will remind him what we used to love about id games so much.

Nizz

Looking forward to this. RAGE was a disappointment. Hopefully Carmack going back to basics with these ports will remind him what we used to love about id games so much.

I'm just hoping the controls in Doom 3 are as snappy/crisp as in something like COD. I remember playing the demo for RAGE and even turning up the sensitivity all the way up (both x and y settings) they still felt sluggish. :(

Man, I can't wait to get my hands on this set. Only played Doom 3 on the original X-Box. I thought they did a good job with the port. But it's going to feel like a new game with the increased framerate and improved textures and other stuff.

So much for those enhancements they said about on first announcement but I will take 60fps on consoles as long as there is still some kind of anti analyzing going on to smooth edges.

pmj

So much for those enhancements they said about on first announcement but I will take 60fps on consoles as long as there is still some kind of anti analyzing going on to smooth edges.

Well, they do mention a number of improvements, but I had hoped for much more.

Weapons need to be rebalanced, enemy AI tweaked, enemy melee attack hitboxes changed, most sound effects beefed up, the fucking screen shake when taking damage reduced. There are so many things more important than more lights and character textures. But I suppose 99% of the comments on the net has been along the lines of "holy shit it's so dark".

One thing I wish that they did, which really shouldn't be that difficult, is to go back to the base assets they created and export them in higher resolution for the PC version of the game. Doom 3 with texture mods looks fantastic, but id could could have brought it to a whole other level.

Ifrit

no buy unless Doom 1 has the ambient soundtrack from the PS1 version. it was creepy as fuck, made the game one of the most unnerving and scariest games ever for me. the corny rock music from the PC version sucks IMO, no matter how legendary it is.

It is a diferent experience with the PSX music, but man, replacing the original PC tracks would be a crime against humanity

Options FTW

Top Bottom