• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risen

So my Astro's recently took a dump and I lost sound out of my right ear. While I'm sending them back, I picked up a set of the SteelSeries Siberia V2's to couple with my MixAmp. I've tried Turtle Beach, Tritton, Sennheiser, and Astro sets and thought I'd give these a whirl since people seem to be using them more and more and giving positive reviews.

Previously my personal "most bang for the buck" set was the Sennheiser HD555. They could be had for 80-90 bucks, were light, open ear (personal preference), and yet had outstanding sound. Their one draw back... no integrated mic. My first impression of the Siberia V2 is that it's my new "bang for the buck" set.

They can be found on Amazon for 55.00-90.00 USD depending on color and store.

They have a much deeper tone with better bass than the Astro's. They are a PC set, so with the y-splitter that comes with the Astro MixAmp, they plug right in. Plug the MixAmp mic cable to your controller and you are ready to rock right out of the box. They have very similar sound qualities when compared the the HD555's but are closed ear with leather cups. High's still really stand out though which put them (in my book) performing better than the Astro's. Astro's have very high mids and decent highs which really caters to a gaming environment. The lows are, and have been, weak.

The Siberia V2's give a much more full sound-scape without overwhelming you with bassy lows, and provide the highs and mids needed for all those little sounds like spawning weapons and melees that can get covered up by heavy lows.

Coupled with the MixAmp's 5.1 processing, a surprisingly precise surround experience is available.

To go with the sound... the set is much lighter than A40's which is a huge plus for longer gaming sessions, and have a retractable mic that recesses into the left ear cup... another great feature.

You get light weight, great sound-scape, great integration with the Astro MixAmp and corresponding integration with the Xbox, with that great retractable mic, all in a relatively cheap package.

My two gripes are the physical look of the design and closed ear cans with leather cups might get warm in extended play sessions. But those are easy to overlook with the comfortable fit and other positives.

Definitely liking them straight out of the box. Will be interesting to see their durability in the coming weeks.

I'm not psyched for Halo 4 at all. Doesn't look or seem to feel like Halo, and I'm specifically talking about the multi. Single also doesn't look too great, I wasn't impressed with the stuff shown at E3.

A handful of HaloGAFers player it at E3 and they all said it felt more like Halo than Reach. Even some of the MLG guys mentioned that 343 did a better job of adding new stuff but keeping the Halo feel than Bungie did with Reach.

Being a dick on the internet is a thing kids do.

Cursed Lemon is probably like 20.

Maybe once he grows up a little, learns to remove the dick-tone from his normal voice, then I'll be able to listen to these substantive pieces he puts together. As of now, there are other voices I'd much rather listen to that can simultaneously be critical, but respectful, at the same time.

You can be critical and not be a dick, its not very hard. It is the basis of substantive discussion.
What you said right here is far worse than anything he said. Just sayin. Sheesh. My guess is he dealing with a lot of pent up anger at the fact that we're going into our 5th major halo game and developers are still pulling the same crap as before. I try not to let it out, but i'm fed up with hoping that developers understand or care about our cares and concerns. No one listens to constructive criticism. If they did, maybe Reach wouldn't have sucked balls, and Halo4 wouldn't be full of CoD nonsense and five shot kill weapons. And taking offense at his tone is just laughable in my opinion. Might as well sign off the internet right now.

A handful of HaloGAFers player it at E3 and they all said it felt more like Halo than Reach. Even some of the MLG guys mentioned that 343 did a better job of adding new stuff but keeping the Halo feel than Bungie did with Reach.

I don't think you can judge that well when playing at an event. IIRC, the pros said the same thing about Reach when they got to play it. And I think that an important factor that's missing is the fact they're only playing with half (rough estimate) of the sandbox. When a part of the game is missing, you can't really judge how it plays yet.

Fuchsdh

What you said right here is far worse than anything he said. Just sayin. Sheesh. My guess is he dealing with a lot of pent up anger at the fact that we're going into our 5th major halo game and developers are still pulling the same crap as before. I try not to let it out, but i'm fed up with hoping that developers understand or care about our cares and concerns. No one listens to constructive criticism. If they did, maybe Reach wouldn't have sucked balls, and Halo4 wouldn't be full of CoD nonsense and five shot kill weapons. And taking offense at his tone is just laughable in my opinion. Might as well sign off the internet right now.

We're consumers. At the end of the day, we can vote with our wallets. If we don't like their direction, then we don't have to buy it.

I'm not saying criticism doesn't have its place, but coming off as entitled "this is the game I want, mold it to fit meee" just is never going to happen and is always going to leave you burned by games.

If you're getting that angry over a game, you need to step back for a second. Reach annoys me. Retcons annoy me, but to actively get *angry* at a video game or the people who made it? That's a step too far.

This is 2012. There's more good media out there than we could ever hope to find and consume in a dozen lifetimes.

I'm not really good in introducing myself on forums, but here is my try. :)

Maybe you already noticed that I'm from Croatia, but I lived my whole life here in Germany/Berlin and if my english isn't that good, please forgive me, because english was my 3rd language and I'm still learning. I'm 20 years young and I'm studying informatics here in Berlin.
I want to work for 343i obviously ;)
. I think I've been lurking since the Making Halo 4: First Look trailer came out.

Now some Halo related things:

The only game, that I didn't play that much was Halo 2, because I didn't owned a Xbox (bought the 360 with Halo 3). My favourite Halo game is therefore Halo 3. I don't like Halo Reach that much and before you ask, I hate Armor Lock
(and Jetpack's even more)
. There is only a couple of things that are good in Halo Reach, for example netcode and that it can be really fun when playing with a team.
I own most of the books and I'm currently waiting for the release of a german version of Primordium. So, all in one, I'm a passionate Halo fan and I'm happy to be in a such great community. I hope we will have a great time.^^

If you have further question's I will try to answer them. Feel free to add me on XBL, my GT is CrazY CroaTia, but I will not be online that much the next 2 weeks, because of exams. After them, I will try to reach my Halo 3 50 somewhere, before Halo 4 launches.

Awesome, Welcome. You speak English great don't worry about it..
^^^ Welcome. You speak English better than a lot of native speakers I've met.

Clearly a dig at me
jokes

I hope if the FRC returns, it changes appearance again. It's almost a running gag at this point :p

edit: well nevermind, I guess it remained pretty similar between 2 and 3.

edit2: random FRC fact from halo wiki:

I really enjoy it when you post stuff like this, Great little info bites that have me thinking (you did it with the remake stuff before i had zero idea that the Gemini H2 map was a remake)

Why would the FRC have that so odd. (maybe nade + frc is overpowered)

CyReN

Maybe once he grows up a little, learns to remove the dick-tone from his normal voice, then I'll be able to listen to these substantive pieces he puts together. As of now, there are other voices I'd much rather listen to that can simultaneously be critical, but respectful, at the same time.

You can be critical and not be a dick, its not very hard. It is the basis of substantive discussion.

Sounds glorious. Would have definitely played CE and Halo 2 as well.

notsureifserious.gif

He's in his mid 20's, no need to throw blows, his video broke down exactly what he thought about the series. Of course everyone isn't going to agree.

daedalius

Clearly no one else here has had the same reaction.

And really? 'pent up anger'? If he doesn't like the game(s), don't play it, or post about it. If you're going to complain, at least do so constructively.

Developers 'pulling the same crap as before', amazing. And no one listens to constructive criticism? Sorry, but you're wrong. A developer is a hell of a lot more likely to read a constructive argument than internet bitching, this isn't limited only to Halo you know.

Bungie didn't really listen to much of the beta feedback or criticism about Reach, but they aren't the only developer in the world. Turns out lots of them really like constructive fan feedback.

He's in his mid 20's, no need to throw blows, his video broke down exactly what he thought about the series. Of course everyone isn't going to agree.

And that is fine, I'm just saying if he had delivered his criticisms in a more respectful manner, it may have been received better by other members of the community and the developers if they ever decided to watch it. Currently, the way he accords himself won't get a developer to watch for more than 5 minutes.

MMaRsu

Banned
Care to explain a bit further? Not sure how the gameplay any better or worse than previous Campaigns?

Well first the enemy's. The Prometheans just look pretty stupid in my opinion, like some cross between Lego Bionic and this guy. Not very original and interesting to look at at all. Didn't they also say they removed the english VA from covie forces? I always love the little grunts screaming cool shit at me. Did they lose the ability to speak english? Is the translator node in Master Chief's suit broken?

episode_3_general_grievous_lightsabers.jpg

The new weapons don't look cool or original at all. Sure they have space between them and aren't pieced together like human or covie weapons but still they look very bland.

Some other minor stuff like the crosshair looking way off when you shoot it and almost no recoil on the DMR or BR ( whatever was used in the E3 demo ).

Then you have the multi.. omg let's not begin there. Random weapon spawns, getting bonusses when you are on a hot streak ( like powering up your weapon after a few kills which gives you more damage < WTF ) Promethean vision etc.... Too many things to harp on but these seem pretty important to me.

Risen

I try not to let it out, but i'm fed up with hoping that developers understand or care about our cares and concerns. No one listens to constructive criticism. If they did, maybe Reach wouldn't have sucked balls, and Halo4 wouldn't be full of CoD nonsense and five shot kill weapons. And taking offense at his tone is just laughable in my opinion. Might as well sign off the internet right now.

Developers listen and likely understand cares and concerns. But they listen to EVERYONE's cares and concerns, then make business decisions based on that. There may be a ton of Reach I can't stand, but it was a financial success and there are people out there who like it/love it... and people who don't think CoD is nonsense. That doesn't render a counter opinion useless, but it does prove to a developer their decisions weren't so awful... it's about perspective - the developer vs. the consumer... and then the perspective of the majority consumer.

Who said anything about taking offense?

I doubt any offense was taken by any single person. I disregard stuff on the internet and in real world business all the time based on what and how it's delivered... as does everyone else. Doesn't mean one should sign off right now...

ElRenoRaven

Well first the enemy's. The Prometheans just look pretty stupid in my opinion, like some cross between Lego Bionic and this guy.

http://www.robotshop.com/blog/images/episode_3_general_grievous_lightsabers.jpg[IMG]

The new weapons don't look cool or original at all. Sure they have space between them and aren't pieced together like human or covie weapons but still they look very bland.

Some other minor stuff like the crosshair looking way off when you shoot it and almost no recoil on the DMR or BR ( whatever was used in the E3 demo ).

Then you have the multi.. omg let's not begin there. Random weapon spawns, getting bonusses when you are on a hot streak ( like powering up your weapon after a few kills which gives you more damage < WTF ) Promethean vision etc.... Too many things to harp on but these seem pretty important to me.[/QUOTE]

You know they actually remind me of the space pirates in Metroid prime more then anything.

[QUOTE][IMG]http://images.wikia.com/metroid/images/3/36/M2_C_SpacePirate_ad.jpg

Sounds glorious. Would have definitely played CE and Halo 2 as well.

We only had 4 copies of Halo 2, 5 copies of Halo CE. I wanted to play some Halo 2, but there aren't enough hours in the day. :p

10 people in a room with 8 screens. Got rather sweaty. Consumed Energy drinks, junk food, and the greasiest food we could find. Best way to spend a cold day.
ucNY.png

MMaRsu

Banned
You know they actually remind me of the space pirates in Metroid prime more then anything.

Oh yea! Those guys too!

Lol..

See what I'm talking about? They don't seem rather menacing, and they are not interesting to look at either. I would honestly rather just battle against Covie again hahah these guys just look so lame man.

Are we sure this is legit? It looks exactly like a Bionicle set... and Megabloks has the Halo license, not Lego.

Lol it was a joke. It's not legit.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Nice review Risen. Sound like a great headset for someone who wants the full experience but isn't an audiophile.

Also, just bought Guerilla Glue. Gonna try to fix my headset today. Wish me luck!

Gui_PT

Oh yea! Those guys too!

Lol..

See what I'm talking about? They don't seem rather menacing, and they are not interesting to look at either. I would honestly rather just battle against Covie again hahah these guys just look so lame man.

Uhm

U sound high. So imma ignore them bad opinions

I think the Promethean Knights look sick. Probably best design in the series for enemies outside Elites IMO.

Halo-4-Preview-PrometheanKnight.jpg

Way more intimidating than Brutes, Grunts, Jackals, or Skirmishers.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member

I still think Lemon and those promoting the video would be well served to listen to the constructive criticism given by many here and on THC.

The problem with the video is still tone. Much of his message, regardless of how relevant it is, is lost. It's geared towards young males that don't need convinced of anything. If he actually wanted to persuade anyone to his viewpoint, he's doing it the difficult way.

Too much sarcasm, too much venom over things that can be improved upon, but are not horrible. If you take such fanatical views over everything, nobody can know what's actually important. Everything sounds the same after a while.

Overdoziz

Banned
I didn't read it, I heard it in a preview on Gamekings.tv
Remember Gamekings' ODST review? So terrible.
Both Gamekings and Power Unlimited are awful, really.

I love the new enemies, especially the Knights look really cool.
Plus, they have cute T-rex arms.

CyReN

I still think Lemon and those promoting the video would be well served to listen to the constructive criticism given by many here and on THC.

The problem with the video is still tone. Much of his message, regardless of how relevant it is, is lost. It's geared towards young males that don't need convinced of anything. If he actually wanted to persuade anyone to his viewpoint, he's doing it the difficult way.

Too much sarcasm, too much venom over things that can be improved upon, but are not horrible. If you take such fanatical views over everything, nobody can know what's actually important. Everything sounds the same after a while.

I think the information and/or opinions out-weigh the voice but that could just be me. I wouldn't go and say it's geared for young males (I'm guessing you are saying 13-16 year olds?) with the strong focus on early Halo titles (H1/H2). Most of us that started playing Halo with those are in our early to late 20's now.

It's one video, regardless of tone it has a lot of great points, I don't think his voice should be the big reason people dislike a video (which it really seems.) That's a shame imo.

BigShow36

You have to understand where people like Cursed Lemon and I come from. We've been arguing pretty much the same points since Halo 2 was released. I've been making huge threads and posts about balance and how to make the game better for a long, long time. For the past 11 years, we've been subjected to the ire of millions of fanboys. Any post we make is blindly attacked by legions of morons who don't even understand the arguments in the first place.

Its easy to say, "he can not be a dick" when you view it as just a single post or video. But its more than that. This is years and years of our lives where we've been beaten down not because we're wrong, but simply because people refuse to accept that developers of their favorite video games could, and should, be doing it better.

We tried the diplomatic, nice, engaging tones for a long time. They don't work, so we might as well throw everything out there anyway.

In our minds, we know that the game could be so much better for everyone if they took some of the things we suggest into account. Whether through arrogance, ignorance, simple disregard or some other factor, we've been ignored at every turn. The best we get is a cursory, "its gun beee k" from a developer, and then the game turns out to be far from okay for the exact reasons we were telling them about years before.

It's been a very frusting 10 years for Halo fans who want the game to return to a quicker, more individually skill based game. Its even more frustrating when our issues could be solved by pretty basic options in a game that has hundreds of frivolous ones.

While Cursed Lemon or I may come off as dicks sometimes, its actually a wonder that our entire posts aren't filled with curse words.

MMaRsu

Banned
Remember Gamekings' ODST review? So terrible.
Both Gamekings and Power Unlimited are awful, really.

I love the new enemies, especially the Knights look really cool.
Plus, they have cute T-rex arms.

No i dont remember it. But they are not great but fun to watch...bad at games like giantbomb :p

Risen

Nice review Risen. Sound like a great headset for someone who wants the full experience but isn't an audiophile.

Also, just bought Guerilla Glue. Gonna try to fix my headset today. Wish me luck!

Thanks... I'll be interested to see if my Astro's make it back into the mix.

Fix yo' chit... tired of not hearing your girly voice call out.

daedalius

You have to understand where people like Cursed Lemon and I come from. We've been arguing pretty much the same points since Halo 2 was released. I've been making huge threads and posts about balance and how to make the game better for a long, long time. For the past 11 years, we've been subjected to the ire of millions of fanboys. Any post we make is blindly attacked by legions of morons who don't even understand the arguments in the first place.

Its easy to say, "he can not be a dick" when you view it as just a single post or video. But its more than that. This is years and years of our lives where we've been beaten down not because we're wrong, but simply because people refuse to accept that developers of their favorite video games could, and should, be doing it better.

We tried the diplomatic, nice, engaging tones for a long time. They don't work, so we might as well throw everything out there anyway.

In our minds, we know that the game could be so much better for everyone if they took some of the things we suggest into account. Whether through arrogance, ignorance, simple disregard or some other factor, we've been ignored at every turn. The best we get is a cursory, "its gun beee k" from a developer, and then the game turns out to be far from okay for the exact reasons we were telling them about years before.

It's been a very frusting 10 years for Halo fans who want the game to return to a quicker, more individually skill based game. Its even more frustrating when our issues could be solved by pretty basic options in a game that has hundreds of frivolous ones.

While Cursed Lemon or I may come off as dicks sometimes, its actually a wonder that our entire posts aren't filled with curse words.

Try harder.

You guys really need to learn to detach yourself, or at least when you are trying to write a critical piece, from these emotions to some degree.

Also, you aren't trying to convince fanboys, you are trying to convince people that can actually digest and understand a valid criticism, as well as the designers if they so choose to listen.

Being a dick isn't going to get you anywhere with designers on any game, constructive and well reasoned arguments, backed up by a portion of the community who can agree and also craft well reasoned arguments, will get a designer to listen (sometimes).

It can happen, and just because it didn't happen with Bungie doesn't mean it can't happen with 343. Designers are people too, they probably don't appreciate being talked down to in such a conceited manner.

And if you really have to try to not fill your posts with curse words, well, you really should just get off of the internet; or at least stop trying to convince anyone with any reasonable merit of your ideas, because its not working.

Oh yea! Those guys too!

Lol..

You answered with aesthetics, I did ask about the gameplay specifically.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I enter the Halo OT expecting excited chatter about Spartan Ops, and instead see rape jokes and pages of people bickering. Sucks.

Can't believe I missed that :/
Can't be too bad, it's probably only going to be ~15 seconds.
[hopefully]
Yeah, and when you have it your armor will change color, making it very obvious. I think it sounds pretty awesome as a power up.

OH YEAH, and another thing: I think a losers bracket for the tournament is totally feasible. So you scrubs have some more losing to look forward to. Thanks for bringing the idea up, Overdoz1z.

Risen

I think the information and/or opinions out-weigh the voice but that could just be me. I wouldn't go and say it's geared for young males (I'm guessing you are saying 13-16 year olds?) with the strong focus on early Halo titles (H1/H2). Most of us that started playing Halo with those are in our early to late 20's now.

It's one video, regardless of tone it has a lot of great points, I don't think his voice should be the big reason people dislike a video (which it really seems.) That's a shame imo.

It's not the sound of his voice... it's the words he chooses, how they are arranged, coupled with how he says them. That's the reason people dislike the video... and that's valid. You're right though, it is a shame because good content gets lost in the delivery. He didn't deliver this any differently than how he delivers his forum posts (apart from adding voice) from those I've read. They are well thought out, mostly logical arguments for certain game design wrapped in a wrapper of self evident, intellectually arrogant, prose. Remove that outer narrative... and people will listen to what is said. Keep it... and a large part of the target audience is lost, who may otherwise completely agree, and even be in positions to effect change.

heckfu

Banned
Try harder.

You guys really need to learn to detach yourself, or at least when you are trying to write a critical piece, from these emotions to some degree.

Also, you aren't trying to convince fanboys, you are trying to convince people that can actually digest and understand a valid criticism, as well as the designers if they so choose to listen.

Being a dick isn't going to get you anywhere with designers on any game, constructive and well reasoned arguments, backed up by a portion of the community who can agree and also craft well reasoned arguments, will get a designer to listen (sometimes).

It can happen, and just because it didn't happen with Bungie doesn't mean it can't happen with 343. Designers are people too, they probably don't appreciate being talked down to in such a conceited manner.

And if you really have to try to not fill your posts with curse words, well, you really should just get off of the internet; or at least stop trying to convince anyone with any reasonable merit of your ideas, because its not working.

I think this is well said and largely the same way I feel. I learned a long time ago that opinions are opinions and that with people who are passionate you are wasting your time because you can't change their minds. And that's totally fine!

Making HUGE threads for 10 years going back to a quicker paced game and stuff is fine but the makers of the game have their own vision and it's their art to make the changes with. I support them in what they do, rather than what a small subset of fans want (because let's be honest, the average Halo fan doesn't think like a gaffer or other fans of this caliber) because it's a labor of love. It may not always be ideal to what a small, but apparently loudspoken, group want but hopefully it will be a game worth loving.

Let's not all be Cursed Lemons and remember that 343 isn't a faceless company, it's comprised of hundreds of folks that care DEEPLY about the franchise and regardless of how they come across I'm sure they have feelings and getting insults and tirades lobbed at them all the time has to be tiring.

All in all, let's wait until 4 comes out before we throw them under the bus.

/slurping

Fuchsdh

Try harder.

Agreed.

If you've spent years of your life arguing these points and nothing's changed, you can also just move on to another series (not dismissing the validity of your criticisms, just sayin'. Plenty of fish in the sea.)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Let me be explicitly clear. If you make a long angry post about a thing you are passionate about, that is just fine.

If you make a long raging, rude, mean spritied, venom-packed post intended to reach the makers of whatever game you're mad about, you are WASTING YOUR TIME. Because for every angry rage complaint, there are dozens of reasonable, better phrased and often more insightful versions of those complaints, and for every thing you think you're definitely correct about but that, gosh darn it, those jerks just refuse to listen, there's probably a good reason it isn't so.

Also think about the reality of the things you're mad about. We have one poster in this very thread, who literally believes that graphics are a waste of time and that the game should be reduced to simple, lit geometry. He may even have a point, but we cannot sell that game, and therefore we cannot get funding or resources to build it.

But anger and rudeness are ALWAYS wrong when you are talking about a video game. If you want to be angry about something on the internet, go be angry about poverty or injustice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom