• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to some guy on Budgetgaming who works at the Saturn in Venlo, they just put it on the shelves for €179.

I can confirm this, I know this guy quite well and he send me an e-mail with the same information ( I pre-ordered a red one for myself and a blue one for my son, gonna pick both up tommorow....couldn't make it today ,just got home from Italy :D )

Link83

I just received my 3DS XL from TheHut today :)

...Now I dont want to hype this issue up since it could just be my 3DS XL, but as soon as I opened it up I noticed a problem - there are small 'dot' marks scattered about my top screen which form two 'lines' :(

The 'dots' seem to match up with the plastic edges of the bottom screen. There was no foam protective sheet between the screens like the original 3DS had when new, so i'm guessing there was some friction/particles between the screens during transit, or just after manufacture and this has caused these dots.

Below is the best pic I could come up with using super macro mode on my camera - I had to aim a light bulb at the area so the dots would show up in the light, otherwise they are really hard to photograph. There are more dots than you can see in the photo, but they are only visible where they have reflected the light:-

The dots are mostly present on the right side, although there are also a few on the left as well. I have tried to wipe them off with a microfibre lens cleaning cloth hoping that they were just smudges, but it didnt help.

I'm sure the new rubber bumpers would have helped, but at least on mine they dont appear to be tall enough to provide adequate clearance between the screens <EDIT - There is a tiny clearance/gap, but apply a small amount of pressure and the top half bends and the screens touch - at least on my unit> I just cant understand why Nintendo hasn't made the bumpers a bit bigger than they actually needed to be in order to prevent a similar issue happening again.

To me this is even more annoying than the 3DS screen scratching problem, since the marks are there from new so there is no way to prevent them (I had intended to keep the foam sheet between the screens until I could order some Hori screen protectors)

On the brightside the dots are not really visible when its turned on, so i'm not sure if I should return it or not. Am I just too much of a perfectionist, or does Gaf think its an issue worth returning it for? I'm concerned that a replacement would end up with the yellow screen problem or dead pixels etc.

IrishNinja

Pretty sure they will all be yellow, even normal 3DS consoles are these days, I know my Zelda one is.

weird, my zelda unit is much whiter/cooler screened.

Hearing about the yellow screens are a bit of a turn off... Is it something that should keep someone from buying one? I mostly wonder if it will be an annoyance that just will make you pissed.
Or I'm just being overly sensitive..

I prefer warmer screens because colors are more vibrant than on cool screens. This page has a nice set of images illustrating the difference.

i was a bit worried here too, but this helped. im picking mine up from best buy so ill likely just open it there & see what i think at the time.

edit Link83 how is your unit green?

Link83

edit Link83 how is your unit green?
Maybe its just the lighting - its not green at all in person. Its a Silver+Black unit, although the inner interior appears to have some sort of tiny glitter particles in the black plastic that might be making it look green?
<EDIT> Or maybe its because I didnt use any flash, and used 'super macro' mode - so it could be picking up some reflected light.

Owzers

Hmmmmm dot scratches....i'll probably still buy a red 3ds xl when it comes to the us and just return it to best buy if it's dotty, those look like odd markings though. We'll see if more people get them :O

...Now I dont want to hype this issue up since it could just be my 3DS XL, but as soon as I opened it up I noticed a problem - there are small 'dot' marks scattered about my top screen which form two 'lines' :(

Thats a bummer as I was honestly hoping Nintendo would fix this perticular issue properly the second time around. Going to make sure I get protectors asap in that case. What were the good temp solutions in the meantime? not sure if I have one of those cloths that come with the screen protector still

Seik

Banned

Are you fucking kidding me...

Really? I mean, really?

If mine would have this I'd exchange, but WOW! Can't believe they really pulled that shit again...

I'll use the same microfiber cloth it seems, and it'll still look bad when it'll be closed, DAMN.

Anybody else got their XL with this?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
my unit just shipped

now for the excruciating wait

Impatient.gif

GWX

But... how? The rubber on the top of the screen, which lines up with the edge of the bottom screen, should prevent this... shouldn't it?

Drago

Hopefully the issue is fixed when new colors come out, or it isn't a widespread issue.

Sucks that it could still happen though :/

Seik

Banned
But... how? The rubber on the top of the screen, which lines up with the bottom screen, should prevent this, shouldn't it?

Yeah, aren't these two little bumpers on the top supposed to be directly on the frame of the bottom screen so that its impossible for it to touch the top screen?

These dots aren't exactly aligned to me, unless the top screen is kind of loose and can be moved from left to right a little, I can't see how it could do this. Hmmm...wtf.

Chopper

The 'dots' seem to match up with the plastic edges of the bottom screen. There was no foam protective sheet between the screens like the original 3DS had when new, so i'm guessing there was some friction/particles between the screens during transit, or just after manufacture and this has caused these dots.

Below is the best pic I could come up with using super macro mode on my camera - I had to aim a light bulb at the area so the dots would show up in the light, otherwise they are really hard to photograph. There are more dots than you can see in the photo, but they are only visible where they have reflected the light:-

The dots are mostly present on the right side, although there are also a few on the left as well. I have tried to wipe them off with a microfibre lens cleaning cloth hoping that they were just smudges, but it didnt help.

I'm sure the new rubber bumpers would have helped, but at least on mine they dont appear to be tall enough to provide adequate clearance between the screens. I just cant understand why Nintendo hasn't made the bumpers a bit bigger than they actually needed to be in order to prevent a similar issue happening again.

To me this is even more annoying than the 3DS screen scratching problem, since the marks are there from new so there is no way to prevent them (I had intended to keep the foam sheet between the screens until I could order some Hori screen protectors)

On the brightside the dots are not really visible when its turned on, so i'm not sure if I should return it or not. Am I just too much of a perfectionist, or does Gaf think its an issue worth returning it for? I'm concerned that a replacement would end up with the yellow screen problem or dead pixels etc.
Are you fucking serious?! I can't believe it...

Yeah, aren't these two little bumpers on the top supposed to be directly on the frame of the bottom screen so that its impossible for it to touch the top screen?

These dots aren't exactly aligned to me, unless the top screen is kind of loose and can be moved from left to right a little, I can't see how it could do this. Hmmm...wtf.

That seems to be correct.

0bphr.png

I think Nintendo should have just made both screens the same size. If we have to use some sort of bumper to keep the screens from making contact, we'll never have a clean design like the DS Lite. There always has to be space between the screens. It's probably a lot easier to damage a closed 3DS with pressure than it is to damage a closed DS Lite.

Eusis

I figured it was still a distinct possibility, just less likely to be the issue it was for the original 3DS and thus a screen protector would be enough. Dumping that sheet of foam on the other hand, uhh, I really hope they start sticking those in with later shipments and the US model, if at all possible at this point.

Sushigod7

The other pick ups so far haven't mentioned this hopefully it's a very sporadic issue. Can you return? I know it's a pain with shipping and all but don't settle for that, what kind of BS is this they aren't even packing something between the screens? That would literally cost pennies.

Drago

Considering this is the first we've heard of an issue, and there have already been many reviews/impressions from others without the problem, I don't think we should worry too much... yet.

If more people start to report an issue, then I'll complain. For now, it's one against dozens on the screen scratching.

/damagecontrol

Santiako

Can you say with certainty that the two screens aren't touching when closed? Even when under pressure?

Could be isolated but I'm interested to find out.

When closed normally, they definetly don't touch, you can even see the light go through, if you press hard though, they may touch near the hinge, but I'm not sure.

urfe

Was gonna buy a white one tomorrow, but now I think I'll wait a week and read all the reviews on amazon.co.jp and elsewhere to make sure things are all good.

Saw Street Fighter IV for 1000 yen yesterday (10 bucks?) and can't wait to pick it up and play it on a nice white 3DS XL!

GWX

But I want to import a white one...to Brazil. ;-;

Should I change to Silver x Black?

Dude, it's just my opinion on the matter. White looks absolutely beautiful when it's new, but according to my experience with white electronics, it gets grimy and looks bad, specially when the finish is matte =(

Drago

Dude, it's just my opinion on the matter. White looks absolutely beautiful when it's new, but according to my experience with white electronics, it gets grimy and looks bad, specially when the finish is matte =(
I'm a cleaning FREAK when it comes to electronics.

White wont be an issue for me ;)

GWX

I'm a cleaning FREAK when it comes to electronics.

White wont be an issue for me ;)

That's the thing: I am too! My sister hate my "wash hands everytime before using a electronic device owned by me" rule, lol. But no matter what, it gets grimy as the time goes by =(

Seik

Banned
That's my xl, screens don't touch.

z1AuV.jpg

Looking at this and the upper picture, and the fact that those scratches aren't aligned, I'd say...maybe the Y button? It seems to pop up more than the bottom screen's edges and it's clearly aligned with the screen. BUT the issue we saw ealier show scratches on the top right corner of the screen, which doesn't fit with the Y button's emplacement.

Mind.
Fucked.

EDIT: Can't see how the bottom screen's frame could make scratches, unless there would be a very strong pressure in the middle of the XL while closed, to a point of making the plastic bend...

Drago

It's a toy, not a fashion statement. Just buy it and play your games. =)
I would, but the colors are just too tacky for me to like. I also prefer white bezels to black bezels because they make the image more popping imo, and I'm curious to how the 3D looks with the white. I've had too many black handhelds
and I want a change. :p

I can wait, I'm seriously fine with the 3DS I have now. The wait will be well worth it for me. :)

That's the thing: I am too! My sister hate my "wash hands everytime before using a electronic device owned by me" rule, lol. But no matter what, it gets grimy as the time goes by =(
The top of the White XL isn't matte though, it's metallic... I think. There was one video that showed off the top of it and it was shiny.

I'll be fine. I don't need an XL tomorrow. Until I see one in real life... then I will. :p

GWX

EDIT: Can't see how the bottom screen's frame could make scratches, unless there would be a very strong pressure in the middle of the XL while closed, to a point of making the plastic bend...

Yep, that's what I think too. Something weird is going on... Link83, try to return and get a new one. Maybe it was just a production fault (since the dots were already there when you opened your 3DS XL for the first time), and not something inherent to every XL.

edit: Shit, that sucks, Link83 =(

Link83

Ok I have just done some checking, there is a tiny gap visible between the screens when there is no pressure, but as soon as you apply just a small amount of pressure the top bends and the screens touch :(

Believe me, it may not look like the dots line up with the bottoms screens sides, but they do - the picture was taken at a funny angle to try and show the marks in the light.

Perhaps mine was put under pressure in transit from the factory in China to Nintendo of Europe's packaging/distribution centre?

I really hope its just my unit and not a common problem. I think I will exhange it - just really disappointed since it means I have to return it and wait for a replacement :(

Seik

Banned
not sure if I believe any of that

even my 3ds didnt scratch

just be normal

Well, its true and it has been proven by many, many people. That precisely why we have those top bumbers now. the sharp edges of the bottom screen of the original 3DS were making fine straight scratches line that couldn't be removed.

What do you mean 'Just be normal'? Its totally normal to want a product without such things. ¬¬

Jarsonot

If this is even remotely true you can forget about Amazon ever carrying it, I expect.

Edit: we'll know better after people have it for a couple weeks. I'd probably have it in my back pocket a lot, and wouldn't want that pressure scratching the damn screen again.

Fingers crossed.

My order has shipped already, I have decided not to care again about screen tint, scratches or whatever, as long as there is no dead pixels ill be happy.

Does anyone here not use screen protectors? I just cant use them, even on phones, ipad, handhelds in general. I'm sure some may think it's foolish but anyone else feel this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom