• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X Mountain Lion. Move your Mac even further ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to do a clean install but all I have is a 1TB external drive that has two partitions on it, one 500GB for time machine and the other for manually backed up files. I have 8GB free, so could I make a third partition and use that as the ML boot drive or is that too risky? I'm afraid I could somehow possibly lose my time machine partition when booting from the ML partition.

Why are you doing a clean install?

Anyway, yes, adding a partition is easy. If you don't have that 8GB as unused, shrink the last partition to make room, then hit the plus button and away you go. It will tell you if it's going to erase anything or not, so read the confirmation dialog boxes.

Why does it bother people so much that some choose to do a clean install? Stop asking why. Just let people do what they please. I don't know why some get so uptight about this. Who gives an F how others choose to spend/waste their time.

Everytime someone mentions a clean install the replies are the same.

Why does it bother people so much that some choose to do a clean install? Stop asking why. Just let people do what they please. I don't know why some get so uptight about this. Who gives an F how others choose to spend/waste their time.

Because allowing it to go unquestioned suggests that it's legitimate preventative maintenance, much like repairing permissions, zapping the PRAM or rebuilding the desktop.

noah111

Still Alive
Why are you doing a clean install?

Anyway, yes, adding a partition is easy. If you don't have that 8GB as unused, shrink the last partition to make room, then hit the plus button and away you go. It will tell you if it's going to erase anything or not, so read the confirmation dialog boxes.
Turns out it won't let me make another partition on it anyway... might just ditch the clean install for now, until I can get my hands on a big enough USB.

I have a lot of little fucked up stuff in my system tbh, just a lot of waste and compiled issues. It's not a huge deal, but definitely notable sometimes. But yeah, might as well upgrade now and see how it goes.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Couple of weird issues:

-Guest account started asking for a password after I upgraded to ML. Fixed by disabling the account in system preferences, restarting, enabling it again.

-I couldn't sync anything from iTunes to the iPhone, it would pretend it worked but apps, music, books, nothing would sync. Tried many things that didn't work, managed to fix it by doing a system restore on the phone.

Turns out it won't let me make another partition on it anyway... might just ditch the clean install for now, until I can get my hands on a big enough USB.

Really? did you shrink the existing ones first? I'm totally in love with Disk Utility since 10.7 (maybe even 10.6) with what it lets you do.

BearChair

I didn't see either of things covered. On the Macbook Pro, is there a way to show the remaining time on the battery? Lion displayed it, but I can't figure out how to enable it in ML. Also is there a way to get rid of the notifications icon on the top right of the top bar? I won't be using it, so I would like to get rid of the icon.

Miker

Got my up to date code and installed this morning. Now mission control/expose seems to be running at a much lower framerate when there are a few windows up. Anybody else had this issue?

Chris R

I didn't see either of things covered. On the Macbook Pro, is there a way to show the remaining time on the battery? Lion displayed it, but I can't figure out how to enable it in ML. Also is there a way to get rid of the notifications icon on the top right of the top bar? I won't be using it, so I would like to get rid of the icon.

My man! You and me are like twins or something.

Battery life fix: http://batterytimeapp.com/beta/

Remove notification center: Haven't found a way to do this yet :( If someone does find a way to just remove the damn thing let me know!

noah111

Still Alive
Really? did you shrink the existing ones first? I'm totally in love with Disk Utility since 10.7 (maybe even 10.6) with what it lets you do.
Yeah, it actually worked the first time, but the space it allocated to the new partition was only 2.8something GB's for some reason, even though I put 8GB before splitting the second partition in two. Now it won't let me alter it at all or add a new one.

Oh well, going to upgrade tonight and hope it goes smooth enough to make a clean install unnecessary. But from my experience any latency/animation issues (or problems in general) that pop up after upgrading are usually solved with a clean install.

Quick

Banned
What exact reason does Chrome have to use Contacts?

I just installed Chrome, and opening it up for the first time, a pop-up came up asking if Chrome can access Contacts.

jts

...hate me...
I wish reminders could be a top bar app or even use the notification center estate to quickly set a reminder, twitter-like.

Both that and notes I feel that they should be quickly accessible but not really dock apps and more like widgets (not dashboard widgets though, I hate dashboard).

Utako

Banned
Both that and notes I feel that they should be quickly accessible but not really dock apps and more like widgets (not dashboard widgets though, I hate dashboard).
Wah? Why? It's serves the exact use-case you describe (constant Dashboard user here).

jimmy5150

Got my up to date code and installed this morning. Now mission control/expose seems to be running at a much lower framerate when there are a few windows up. Anybody else had this issue?

I upgraded this morning and have the same issue on a 2012 Macbook Air, all other GUI animations (opening notification center, etc.) are fine though.

It looks like a lot of other people are blaming the graphics driver for it...hope this gets an update soon.

Ovid

I upgraded this morning and have the same issue on a 2012 Macbook Air, all other GUI animations (opening notification center, etc.) are fine though.

It looks like a lot of other people are blaming the graphics driver for it...hope this gets an update soon.
You see, this is why I don't want to install ML.

I have a mid-2012 Air too and Lion is perfect. If I just redeem the code could I download it at a later date?

This may be better suited for another thread, but I'm not sure where else to ask: how does one change your iPhone's default e-mail from iCloud to something else (aside from removing the address entirely)? If I'm looking under "all inboxes" it only ever replies from iCloud, regardless of the fact that I never receive e-mail there.

jts

...hate me...
Wah? Why? It's serves the exact use-case you describe (constant Dashboard user here).
I don't know, but that place gives me the chills. I don't have much stuff set up over there, but it feels like it doesn't belong somehow. I've just set it up as mission control space again to visit it (is there a default gesture?), and yeah I'm just not a fan.

In all seriousness though, to do the tasks I was referring to, I prefer not to leave the current space I'm in. Just open a drawer of sorts (like NC), type something, close it. Notice how the Twitter/Facebook widgets could well be dashboard widgets on the Mac but Apple still places them in the NC... of course it wouldn't be congruent with iOS otherwise, but also serves to show that NC and dashboard are kinda overlapping in that sense currently (a place for widgets). I prefer the NC approach but I'm not sure where Apple is going to take it. Hope they open the damn thing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Updated my 2011 i5 MBA and it works great. Opening the cover from sleep is what I always hoped OSX could be. And now I get Power Nap, too? Awesome.

jimmy5150

You see, this is why I don't want to install ML.

I have a mid-2012 Air too and Lion is perfect. If I just redeem the code could I download it at a later date?

I assume so, it would just sit in your purchase history on the Mac App store until you decide to download it.

Also, it seems like some posters at Macrumors found that the new dock is causing a lot of performance issues on integrated cards, even in newer macs. I eliminated a lot of the lag by auto-hiding the dock and switching my stacks from displaying as "stacks" to displaying as "folders", but YMMV.

noah111

Still Alive
I wish reminders could be a top bar app or even use the notification center estate to quickly set a reminder, twitter-like.

They could easily (specifically reminders) add a drop down menubar version. Similar to Anciety but a literal drop down look, iPad style.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Updated my 2011 i5 MBA and it works great. Opening the cover from sleep is what I always hoped OSX could be. And now I get Power Nap, too? Awesome.

Yeah, power nap is great.

I open the lid and it's fully responsive with emails waiting instantly.
I wonder what it does with battery life in sleep mode though.

Yeah, power nap is great.

I open the lid and it's fully responsive with emails waiting instantly.
I wonder what it does with battery life in sleep mode though.
Full details here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5394

The basics:

If you're on battery, Power Nap will check some stuff every hour for a few minutes at a time at the most. It stops if your battery hits 30% so you don't run out.

If you're plugged in, it'll do everything including backups without a time limit.

noah111

Still Alive
They could easily (specifically reminders) add a drop down menubar version. Similar to Anciety but a literal drop down look, iPad style.
Crude mockup of what I mean;

MLmenubarRemindersMock.png

Hopefully some 3rd party could enable something like that, but I doubt it.

Miker

Okay, good to know I'm not crazy. And just to echo your sentiments -- swiping between desktops, opening notification center, etc. is fine; it's just mission control that's choppy.

Also, it wouldn't be the first time Apple has put out a wonky graphics driver.

I've reached a new conclusion: fuck Mountain Lion on AMD gpus right now.

I'm thinking hard about just rolling back to Lion with my Carbon Copy Clone from yesterday. Panning between spaces is at like 15-20fps, and all of my GPU-intensive apps (Maya, Photoshop, etc.) are all noticeably slow.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Ah, thanks. I have the new 2012 Air.

Hmm, must be a separate update than ML? I don't see it in my battery prefs.

Yes it's a separate update, try and look for software updates manually. (It's in the apple logo menu in the top bar)

I got a notification for the update yesterday.

LCfiner

Crude mockup of what I mean;

MLmenubarRemindersMock.png

Hopefully some 3rd party could enable something like that, but I doubt it.

fantastical includes the system reminders into its drop down UI. it mixes them with the calendar but it's still possible to edit and add new reminders via the fantastical drop down UI.

now, fantastical is not free and may be overkill for your needs, but at least we know that the reminders in ML aren't locked off and inaccessible to third parties so an app similar to what you mocked up should be hitting the app store in time.

LCfiner

sorry if i missed it: is this color discrepancy with the tabs on Gaf a Safari 6 thing?

screen-captu.jpg

I also noticed some large screenshots on blu-ray.com would open and the bit not initially shown in the window would have a different gamma than the other part.

Hoo-doo

Banned
sorry if i missed it: is this color discrepancy with the tabs on Gaf a Safari 6 thing?

screen-captu.jpg

I also noticed some large screenshots on blu-ray.com would open and the bit not initially shown in the window would have a different gamma than the other part.

It doesn't look like that over here.

On the other hand, I have this and it's driving me nuts.

Screen%20Shot%202012-07-27%20at%2021.05.56.png

btkadams

Anyone confirm that it works with non-OEM SSDs?

i just googled and found a cnet article that says: "Non-retina MacBooks and older MacBook Pro models are not included, even though they can be configured with optional SSDs."

disappointing. i have an ssd in my 2011 macbook pro.

Thank god for ML and Skype release 5.8.0.1027. Finally Skype doesn't spike up to 95+% CPU usage while in a video call. Nicely staying at 55% again and the fans don't go crazy anymore. The only things which bugs me a little is that the screen won't turn off anymore automatically while in a video call. I have to do it manually with Shift+Ctrl+Eject, but that's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom