• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X Mountain Lion. Move your Mac even further ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcteryx

Just got around to installing it...and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Coming from SL, I'm seeing pretty good speed boost on my older MBP(late '07); Safari seems VERY snappy compared to SL.

Other than that, I've already disabled pretty much everything new that was a "feature": notifications, that app protection bs, etc etc etc.

$20 for the under-the-hood stuff is fine with me.

edit: and gifs are SMOOTH now in Safari. Holy shit, it's like being on another planet lol.

I'll install it on the gf's MBP later today, but I doubt I'll see increases like I did on this old one.

KtSlime

i just googled and found a cnet article that says: "Non-retina MacBooks and older MacBook Pro models are not included, even though they can be configured with optional SSDs."

disappointing. i have an ssd in my 2011 macbook pro.

Yeah, SSDs that connect via SATA are not supported to my understanding. PowerNap doesn't support turning on that kind of controller.

JackEtc

Alright, so I have it installed on my Retina MBP....don't really notice a performance difference. The only thing I do notice is I feel like the frame rate on switching between pages in launchpad (which I barely ever use) is far WORSE than it was in Lion. I think that's weird.

Other than that, I think it feels the same.\

EDIT: Woah, and I'm seeing some graphics glitches on the top of the screen when I open folders in Launchpad. I don't know, guys.... =\

Sye d'Burns

sorry if i missed it: is this color discrepancy with the tabs on Gaf a Safari 6 thing?

screen-captu.jpg

I also noticed some large screenshots on blu-ray.com would open and the bit not initially shown in the window would have a different gamma than the other part.

vF73C.png

I'm not seeing the color discrepancy.

It doesn't look like that over here.

On the other hand, I have this and it's driving me nuts.

Screen%20Shot%202012-07-27%20at%2021.05.56.png

HzDIp.png

I'm not seeing that either. That would definitely annoy me.

njean777

Alright, so I have it installed on my Retina MBP....don't really notice a performance difference. The only thing I do notice is I feel like the frame rate on switching between pages in launchpad (which I barely ever use) is far WORSE than it was in Lion. I think that's weird.

Other than that, I think it feels the same.

EDIT: Woah, and I'm seeing some graphics glitches on the top of the screen when I open folders in Launchpad. I don't know, guys....

Same exact problems for me on my retina. Decided to go back to lion. I am on lion now and I see no lag at all.

LCfiner

thanks for the responses on the colour differences. I wonder if it's the GPU or the gamma setting I have. (2009 iMac i5, 4850m) I'll be looking into that

Finally got a code and downloading ML now but Safari 6.0 has crashed twice in the last 20 mins under Lion. It's probably wishful thinking to hope it's more stable under ML.

Timan

Developer
Having serious rendering issues with Safari 6, i had to go back to chrome.

Half the time only the top portion of the screen renders, and scroll goes crazy.

Coquette

Hooray! Impatient girl got her code!!!

Now to wait as ML takes for-ever to download on my super amazing internet connection. Sigh.

noah111

Still Alive
Having serious rendering issues with Safari 6, i had to go back to chrome.

Half the time only the top portion of the screen renders, and scroll goes crazy.
Do you notice it related to fullscreen mode? Because something like that used to happen to me in Lion quite a bit.

Timan

Developer
Do you notice it related to fullscreen mode? Because something like that used to happen to me in Lion quite a bit.

Nope, I don't use fullscreen mode at all. Its really annoying, cause you must close the app and reopen it to get back to where you were. I'm also wondering if its cause I upgraded. I've yet to get it on my MBA (new install).

LCfiner

thanks for the responses on the colour differences. I wonder if it's the GPU or the gamma setting I have. (2009 iMac i5, 4850m) I'll be looking into that

OK, this was an easy one to fix. it was the old gamma setting. I had a color profile of 1.8 gamma and it was messing it up. I reverted to the 2.2 gamma default and now it's fine.

But note that when I created a new 1.8 gamma profile in ML, i still have those issues. so anyone with custom gamma profiles (and who really requires these profile changes) might be at risk of having color problems in safari

JackEtc

Considering doing a clean re-install of ML instead of downgrading back to Lion. Anyone done this? Is it easy enough? I set up Time Machine last night so I think I'm good there, but I'd still like to hear from anyone if they've done a clean install instead of an upgrade.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Considering doing a clean re-install of ML instead of downgrading back to Lion. Anyone done this? Is it easy enough? I set up Time Machine last night so I think I'm good there, but I'd still like to hear from anyone if they've done a clean install instead of an upgrade.
If you already have Mountain Lion installed, you can simply reboot into the recovery partition, reformat from there and reinstall right in place. Just migrate from your backup afterwards. Easy as pie.

Dre3001

So I know that you can buy a copy of Mountain Lion and then install it with 5 other computers that you own.

Here is my situation, my brother and I both have Macbook Pro's. He is going to purchase Mountain Lion. Now from reading posts and searching around it seems that if he wanted to install Mountain Lion on my macbook as well he would have to Log onto my computer and then sign in on the Mac App Store under his name on my Macbook and then download like that.

Is this correct??

My confusion is that I have apps from the Mac App store under my own personal Apple ID as well as music purchased in Itunes under my own Apple ID.

If he downloads Mountain Lion onto my computer under his name does that mean everything under my Apple ID is lost or cannot be used in Mountain Lion??

njean777

Where you seeing the graphical glitches on top when opening folders, too?

How exactly do you go back to Lion?

Yep, I saw worse performance with ML then I ever saw with lion.

I had a time machine that I made with lion before I installed ML just in case this happened. I am in a debate with myself if I should just keep using lion or reinstall ML since I made a bootable USB. But the lag was way to noticeable. I liked the new features, but I don't know if dealin with UI lag is worth it to me since I use spaces a lot and mission control...

Krelian

So I know that you can buy a copy of Mountain Lion and then install it with 5 other computers that you own.

Here is my situation, my brother and I both have Macbook Pro's. He is going to purchase Mountain Lion. Now from reading posts and searching around it seems that if he wanted to install Mountain Lion on my macbook as well he would have to Log onto my computer and then sign in on the Mac App Store under his name on my Macbook and then download like that.

Is this correct??
That's not correct. I would create a Mountain Lion USB installer (there are many tutorials around the net and probably this thread) and install from it. You won't need to log into your account at any time.

Also, aren't you allowed to install it on all your Macs, not just five?

noah111

Still Alive
Yep, I saw worse performance with ML then I ever saw with lion.

I had a time machine that I made with lion before I installed ML just in case this happened. I am in a debate with myself if I should just keep using lion or reinstall ML since I made a bootable USB. But the lag was way to noticeable. I liked the new features, but I don't know if dealin with UI lag is worth it to me since I use spaces a lot and mission control...
I practically guarantee you that lag your talking about wouldn't exist if you did a clean install. Can't imagine going back to Lion if you could just do a clean install and use time machine/migration assistant.

Arcteryx

That's not correct. I would create a Mountain Lion USB installer (there are many tutorials around the net and probably this thread) and install from it. You won't need to log into your account at any time.

Also, aren't you allowed to install it on all your Macs, not just five?

I believe it's ALL Mac computers you own. edit: yep, per the Apple website:
If you've purchased OS X Lion or Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store, you're allowed to install it on all of your personal authorized Macs.

And yes, you can either log into his account(app store) and then re-download it, or if he is near you, have him download it and cancel out of the install; then just copy the install app over to your Mac and away you go(won't have to enter app store details at all and you won't have to re-download it again).

njean777

I practically guarantee you that lag your talking about wouldn't exist if you did a clean install. Can't imagine going back to Lion if you could just do a clean install and use time machine/migration assistant.

I did perform a clean install of ML....

noah111

Still Alive
I did perform a clean install of ML....
And you're getting graphical glitches and performance hitches? That isn't normal. :d Fresh install again?

PS. I experienced a lot of those issues when upgrading to Lion, animations not completing, general lag and everything just feeling fidgety. All that was gone when I did a fresh install for some reason.

Quick question. Ordered an Air, and it was shipped this morning. Any chance of it having ML installed when I get it or no? I ordered it to be configured if that makes any difference.

njean777

And you're getting graphical glitches and performance hitches? That isn't normal. :d Fresh install again?

PS. I experienced a lot of those issues when upgrading to Lion, animations not completing, general lag and everything just feeling fidgety. All that was gone when I did a fresh install for some reason.

I'll try one more time I still have everything backed up so we shall see

Ambitious

Safari 6 keeps losing my Neogaf login left and right. Yes, I check the box, and it doesn't happen in other websites.

What to do?

Just received a mail concerning the ML code: (translated) "The submitted invoice does not show if the product has been paid and received". I have to submit "additional data".
What the heck? Can't they just copypaste my order number into their shop system and see for themselves?

Just received a mail concerning the ML code: (translated) "The submitted invoice does not show if the product has been paid and received". I have to submit "additional data".
What the heck? Can't they just copypaste my order number into their shop system and see for themselves?

Yeah not sure why it's necessary but I got the same thing. I converted my billing document from a pdf to a jpeg and uploaded it. Got a key maybe 5 minutes after doing that.

Marco1

Even though I'm liking Mountain Lion, I'm starting to feel Apple is running out of ideas on the OS front...anyone else starting to think this? After using the Windows 8 beta with metro for awhile and using the latest versions of Windows Phone 7 with the new features at work for a bit, the iOS and Mac OSX is really getting extremely boring and archaic in comparison.
I think Apple are in a really dangerous position at the moment and if Microsoft take note and do the right thing they could clean up.
They have a new console, OS, tablet and phone coming next year and what do apple have? Their usual yearly updates, that will not be enough.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
My estimated download time is now at three days. I really hope that Mountain Lion fixes the awful wi-fi connection I have on my Air. This is ridiculous.

Edit: If I restart my computer, will my download resume where it left off or will I be forced to start from the beginning?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Even though I'm liking Mountain Lion, I'm starting to feel Apple is running out of ideas on the OS front...anyone else starting to think this? After using the Windows 8 beta with metro for awhile and using the latest versions of Windows Phone 7 with the new features at work for a bit, the iOS and Mac OSX is really getting extremely boring and archaic in comparison.
I think Apple are in a really dangerous position at the moment and if Microsoft take not and do the right thing they could clean up.
They have and new console, OS, tablet and phone coming next year and what do apple have? Their usual yearly updates, that will not be enough.

That's why OS XI is on its way. Would be a nice surprise if Apple revamped iOS along with OS XI, too.

I think Apple are in a really dangerous position at the moment and if Microsoft take not and do the right thing they could clean up.
They have and new console, OS, tablet and phone coming next year and what do apple have? Their usual yearly updates, that will not be enough.
New doesn't mean better. You're doing the "ooh, new, shiny" thing.

Edit: Like what has Microsoft done to convince people that Metro is worth it to them and is valuable for the user? It's new, it looks cool, but does it improve anything for anyone? It's a hard sell, and Apple has historically been good at selling its new features and designs by their functionality and integration into your life. I'm not convinced Microsoft knows how to do that.

I think Apple are in a really dangerous position at the moment and if Microsoft take note and do the right thing they could clean up.
They have a new console, OS, tablet and phone coming next year and what do apple have? Their usual yearly updates, that will not be enough.
How do you know that's all Apple has?

The tablet/OS is really the only part of all that that's relevant to Apple anyway, and all that does is catch Microsoft up to where Apple has been for more than two years - and even then that is yet to be proven (and I say this as a big believer in Surface's potential). I doubt Apple has any reason to care about the new Xbox. And the "new" phone is no different than any yearly update, it's no more of a game-changer than WP7 was.

Tobor

I don't and I am sure they have something amazing up their sleeve.
I just read my post and apologies for it coming across doom and gloom, I didn't mean that.

Also, keep in mind, MS hasn't hit a home run yet. Windows 8 is facing some backlash, and their phone marketshare is still decreasing.

The iPhone, by itself, earns more revenue than all of MS. Apple isn't in danger. Not yet, anyway.

Ovid

An OS, boring? It's not a video game you know.

KtSlime

I don't and I am sure they have something amazing up their sleeve.
I just read my post and apologies for it coming across doom and gloom, I didn't mean that.

I'd also like to point out that Desktop OSes are mature product - so maybe they are running out of major must have features to add - but this is just a sign to me that they have a solid and robust product. Aside from a more feature full filesystem (HFS+ is getting a bit long in the tooth, but it is easily extensible and in many ways still exceeds the capabilities of newer more ubiquitous NTFS) which will take years of internal testing and likely over a year public(developer) testing, and maybe a successor to ObjC (It probably has another 15 years in it still) there isn't much to add other than tweaks, eye candy, and gimmicks (all these are good in my eyes, but have left others sore at Apple over Lion and ML). This is likely one of the reasons Apple has felt they can move to a yearly update cycle and is able to charge so little for it.

Darwin is a very capable and scalable kernel, the APIs are robust and get expanded greatly with each new OS revision, and the environments are full featured with a slight tendency to favor Apple proprietary networking technologies. Even with ML none of these components were left untouched, all were refined and enhanced. There is always room for improvement, and I'll be the first to say I hope Apple makes the perfect little can't live without feature that knocks my socks off again in the future like they had so many times in the past, but for the moment, I don't really feel like the OS is missing anything.

It's interesting to me whenever people(not you per se) say Apple should do something more creative, yet they often don't have the slightest inclination to explain what that more creative thing might be.

Arcteryx

I actually don't (used to a long time ago, though), which is why that link left me even more confused. :\

Does
diskutil list
in Terminal show the Lion(if you had Lion prior to this) recovery space?

Also, did you manually partition Bootcamp when you had it?(ex: did you allocate more space after the fact?) I've read that doing that will cause it to fail.

KingKong

is there any way to get rid of the big Reader icon in the Safari URL bar? I don't understand why they didn't make it pop up only when it can be activated, and customizing the toolbar only lets me drag the entire bar

Ambitious

Yeah not sure why it's necessary but I got the same thing. I converted my billing document from a pdf to a jpeg and uploaded it. Got a key maybe 5 minutes after doing that.

I did the same an hour ago and still got nothing. It's getting annoying already. And to hear how slow the download is... if it doesn't finish until Sunday afternoon I'll have to wait until Wednesday as I'm nearly overdue my monthly download limit in the dorms I'm during the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom