• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X Mountain Lion. Move your Mac even further ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackEtc

Good luck. I'm also starting college in the fall, so if my Air were to stop working I'd be screwed as well.

Mine is also customized, meaning I know they don't have it in store, so I'd definitely be out of a computer for an extended period of time.

Man, this is really a bummer.

Is there a way to change my Game Center name? It's coming up with a username of mine, but I'm not actually sure where it's pulling that from, and I'd like to change it.

Click on account on Game Center's homepage, go to view account and the window that pops up should let you change your visible nickname.

kruskev

Yeah, for a non-defective one, I guess. I wish I could now, but I'm working on a video project right now, and then I'm going off to college, and I'm not able to be computer-less at the moment, or at any time during school. I don't know when I'll be able to afford not having the laptop.

I have AppleCare, so I guess that means I have some time, right?

*sigh*

um I think apple lets you hold on to the computer until replacement comes in. Try calling them.

mug

I'm having some WiFi issues with my work Macbook Pro after installing ML. It's a 2008 with a C2D. Signals be droppen.

I'm not getting notifications for Mail. Is anyone else having problems with Mail specifically? Reminders and Calender work fine. Haven't tried Messages yet. Sucks the official Twitter app doesn't have notifications yet. Do these apps have to be open for notifications to work? I've tried open and closed and Mail is the only one I can't get working.

I'm not getting notifications for Mail. Is anyone else having problems with Mail specifically? Reminders and Calender work fine. Haven't tried Messages yet. Sucks the official Twitter app doesn't have notifications yet. Do these apps have to be open for notifications to work? I've tried open and closed and Mail is the only one I can't get working.

Mail works for me. Tweetbot Alpha has notifications, and is already much better than the unsupported official app.

njean777

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDD

I did a COMPLETELY clean install of Mountain Lion, NO Time Machine restore, MANUALLY moving my data over, and those graphic glitches ARE STILL FUCKING THERE.

First the burn in, NOW THIS. FUCK

I need to exchange this, but I just don't have the time to until the end of this year/beginning of next year...shiiiiiit

I got the burn in also today, just noticed it with the calculator when moving from the dashboard... me and you really seem to be having the exact same problems lol, I wonder if ML has anything to do with it? I am debating just putting Lion back on at this point...I fresh installed it three times now and the lag is still really bad compared to lion.

Luckily I bought the base model and my store had a couple in stock, they exchanged mine for a new one. Funny thing is I showed them the exact problem on one of their display units cuz it burned in when I went from dashboard to the desktop with the calculator.

mrkgoo

I can respect your viewpoint but in the case of BTT I just have to disagree. There is so much potential held in the trackpad and the magic trackpad (heart) and Apple has yet to scratch the surface. I mean, they've trickled out added functions over time but, when the magic mouse was initially released, it was very bare bones. Not long after, BTT came to the rescue and really opened up what you could do with it, especially with the magic mouse and later the trackpad, and suddenly was less than useless. By the time more functions were added by apple, I was long used to the more extensive functions made possible by BTT.

What I like about BTT is it does such a fantastic job at making it easier for you to do your work, your way. Not very apple, I know.

I don't disagree. I absolutely know what gestures an do. I LOVE the gestures on the trackpad. Amazing.

And I can only imagine it would get better with BTT..

Part of it, though, is I don't want to be able to ONLY use my mac setup. I guess that always happens to an extent. But I also don't want to install an Apple update that breaks BTT or anything like that.

Again no denying the wonderful advantages of BTT.

I ran into a strange issue where I stepped away from my rMBP for a while and it locked...yet after coming back my password wasn't accepted. I had to shut the thing down and reboot to get it to accept my password and let me back in. I took my time and entered it in properly. Made sure capslock wasn't on...etc.

Has anyone encountered an issue like this? I really hope it was a brain fart on my end.

Sye d'Burns

I don't disagree. I absolutely know what gestures an do. I LOVE the gestures on the trackpad. Amazing.

And I can only imagine it would get better with BTT..

Part of it, though, is I don't want to be able to ONLY use my mac setup. I guess that always happens to an extent. But I also don't want to install an Apple update that breaks BTT or anything like that.

Again no denying the wonderful advantages of BTT.

There's really only one solution to our conflict. Apple must hire the skilled German behind BTT and release iBTT.

mrkgoo

There's really only one solution to our conflict. Apple must hire the skilled German behind BTT and release iBTT.

There's no conflict here, but yes, that would probably push me into using it.

It's just extensive customisation, isn't it? See even some of Apple's stuff I couldn't get into. Hot corners had me all flustered.

I ran into a strange issue where I stepped away from my rMBP for a while and it locked...yet after coming back my password wasn't accepted. I had to shut the thing down and reboot to get it to accept my password and let me back in. I took my time and entered it in properly. Made sure capslock wasn't on...etc.

Has anyone encountered an issue like this? I really hope it was a brain fart on my end.
I don't know what that could have been but reminds me of my iPhone 3G a few years back would not accept my password at all. Kept saying wrong password and nothing would fix it. I was locked out. I think the keychain somehow got corrupted or something. Ended up having to format and losing all my shit because I wasn't backing up regularly back then. It was one of the worst bugs I've ever encountered.

Hopefully that doesnt happen to you with your MBP lol

Sye d'Burns

There's no conflict here, but yes, that would probably push me into using it.

It's just extensive customisation, isn't it? See even some of Apple's stuff I couldn't get into. Hot corners had me all flustered.

Nah, I know there's no conflict. I'm only teasing.

I never liked hot corners and don't use them either.

I like how they've made the dashboard accessible as though it were another desktop, or space, I suppose. I do love my multiple desktops. I came up from snow leopard, so having the dashboard accessible like that is a new feature to me. Before, the only time I'd see them is for a unit conversion or to grab an image. I actually use widgets more frequently now.

KingKong

ok is it just me or did Mountain Lion improve startup speed by a lot? I'm using a 2012 Air and before it was OK speed, but this is like twice as fast, which is what I expected when I bought an SSD

edit: ok, for sure, I timed it and it turned on in around 12 seconds. thats insane. i dont know what it was on Lion exactly, but it was at least 25

mrkgoo

Nah, I know there's no conflict. I'm only teasing.

I never liked hot corners and don't use them either.

I like how they've made the dashboard accessible as though it were another desktop, or space, I suppose. I do love my multiple desktops. I came up from snow leopard, so having the dashboard accessible like that is a new feature to me. Before, the only time I'd see them is for a unit conversion or to grab an image. I actually use widgets more frequently now.

I'm opposite, I actually like the fact that widgets fly in from nowhere. But using them as a separate space is the only way I can access them via gestures (yeah, yeah....BTT :p)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wish there was an opposite analog to the right-side notifications drawer that came up on the left side that let you have real widgets (Kill off DashBoard) that looked nicer and integrated better. Be neat if it could be built by a third party, could intercept the two finger gesture when done from the left side instead, and could have widgets built with the same combination of HTML, CSS and JavaScript with some system accessing API's like Dashboard and Konfabulator had.

Though in reality, I also wish someone would create a video player with the ability to play anything that could sit in the corner of the screen like a picture-in-picture that was click-through and when the mouse got near it, it could go partially transparent and would never get in the way, but would stay on screen when switching between Fullscreen and spaces. It's my dream video player. Bonus points if it could act as a window to another space or application. Then you wouldn't need it to be a video player, but could have it "looking at" a video player. It would have a menubar presence to configure it and turn it off an on.

It's completely possible. Bowtie has shown that apps can be set to show up on any screen, including FS windows, and float on top of everything else. If I were to teach myself how to program Cocoa, this is the first app I would make. Literally. I would branch off VLC, rip out the extra stuff, give it an always-on-top show-on-every-display option and a menubar presence. It would be my most wanted application for Lion/Mountain Lion.

Sye d'Burns

There a good Mac app thread around here? I have no idea what Apps to install on this new Mac.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs is probably the best you're going to find. There's good stuff in there but they require a bit of reading to unearth.

I don't know of one thread to rule them all, sorry.

Oh, I know about that. After playing around with it in Lion, I decided access to it via gestures was a better functionality for me, so I've been using it as separate space.

I thought maybe that was the case. I was having a little trouble interpreting your post so I figured I'd throw the link out there just in case.

NYR

Huh.

Opened Calendar for the first time in full screen. Crashed my machine, screen just went black. Didn't think anything of it, re-booted, but got a time machine error upon log in. The crash wreaked my Time Machine Hard Drive.A back up was happening as it crashed.

Time Machine was corrupted, tried Disk utility and got a bunch of errors. Couldn't repair it, or even copy the contents of off it. Ugh.

Thankfully, only have 111 GB on my HD, took 2 hours to re-backup on a re-formatted Time Machine partition. Was pretty nervous while it was going. Time to use that extra HD I have to do the double Time Machine back-up that ML now allows...

NYR

ok is it just me or did Mountain Lion improve startup speed by a lot? I'm using a 2012 Air and before it was OK speed, but this is like twice as fast, which is what I expected when I bought an SSD

edit: ok, for sure, I timed it and it turned on in around 12 seconds. thats insane. i dont know what it was on Lion exactly, but it was at least 25

WTF, that is awesome.

I have a 2010 27 inch iMac, with 12GB of RAM and a i7 Quad Core and my machine boots up in 40 seconds, it is brutal (1st world problem).

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I just simply turned off / disabled my dashboard using this terminal command:

defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES

Then a killall Dock

Dashboard just seemed useless and I didn't want it coming up in Mission Control or accidentally swiping to it.

There's the OS X Software List thread by giga:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404822

It's pretty old and could use a bit of updating, but it's still generally solid.
Major thanks to both of you.

Yeah, for a non-defective one, I guess. I wish I could now, but I'm working on a video project right now, and then I'm going off to college, and I'm not able to be computer-less at the moment, or at any time during school. I don't know when I'll be able to afford not having the laptop.

I have AppleCare, so I guess that means I have some time, right?

*sigh*

I had a BTO Retina with a burn-in problem and was in the same situation. Call Apple and explain that you need the machine for work/school and cannot miss it, they will gladly arrange to send you a new model, so you can keep using your current Mac whilst you wait for the replacement to arrive.

Call them within the 30 day period, this is very important unless you want to receive a 'repaired' Macbook Pro. If you call within 30 days they will consider it a lemon and you will just be sent a brand new machine. Waiting times still apply though.. but they will put you in front of the line.

Am I the only one who thought that I'd be using notification center a lot more? All I do is send the occasional tweet (When I can do that with my twitter app)

Got Mountain Lion on my MBP Retina. Pretty great so far. Very impressed.

A couple of things though, some iCloud issues - my Notes (and my iCloud Mail too) aren't synching with my iPhone, but the MBP and iPad 2 that I got are synching together - not sure what gives. Yes I have enabled Notes and Mail on my iPhone, and yes I have selected the iCloud account on Notes. It's definitely going in the cloud because I created a Note on my iPhone under the iCloud account and then I disabled the Notes in my iPhone settings and that Note disappeared until I reenabled it. I've tried creating a a few notes, nothing doing so far.

I also have a mid 2010 Mac Mini that is running Lion right now. I'm not gonna lie it seemed like that when I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion that it brought down the performance a tad, so I'm a bit hesitant to do the upgrade. What does Mac GAF think? Should I upgrade my Mac Mini as well? Specs on it are 2.66 core 2 duo, 4 gb ram, geforce 320m i think. I've been mainly using it as media storage and emulators. There are some issues getting 5.1 sound working on Lion but maybe that was fixed on the update (doubtful), but I digress.

Good job Apple.

Yea the notes aren't syncing for me either. But that's about the only gripe I have with Mountain Lion so far. Went from SL to ML and I'm liking it, especially the gestures.

meppi

btw, the software update (SMC Update 1.0) for the Macbook Pro Retina just hit the AppStore.
It's the one that adds PowerNap. Besides this it fixes certain sleep/wake problems and other small fixes.

hyp

anyone here running a NAS and notice performance issues under Mountain Lion? mine seems to be slower.

Foov

So why did Apple remove the mosaic screensaver from mountain lion? That was the most mesmerizing thing. What are we supposed to zone out to now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom