• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X Mountain Lion. Move your Mac even further ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapiens

Clean install on 2010 MBA

backing up from Time Machine now.

Hopefully, this doesn't run like complete shit as I'd rather put money into a new desktop.

kaskade

I like notifications, but I wish you could change the shade of the window. It's so pale I barely notice it.

I agree, at least a dark option. I have a lighter wallpaper so sometimes it blends. Not terrible but I did look for the option.

Am I the only one who thought that I'd be using notification center a lot more? All I do is send the occasional tweet (When I can do that with my twitter app)

I mostly use it on mail and the occasional reminder. I think it's going to be a little bit before more apps start making use of them.

Ovid

ok is it just me or did Mountain Lion improve startup speed by a lot? I'm using a 2012 Air and before it was OK speed, but this is like twice as fast, which is what I expected when I bought an SSD

edit: ok, for sure, I timed it and it turned on in around 12 seconds. thats insane. i dont know what it was on Lion exactly, but it was at least 25

Really? I have a mid-2012 Air running Lion still and my boot time is around 8 seconds.

Tobor

man, I gave it a chance but it's just so slow. Calendar takes forever to load and gmail/calendar seem to have so many more features (not to mention the labs)

edit: talking about on the web, not apps

Why would you use the web for iCloud, though? I know they have a front end for it, but I wouldn't use that unless it was a emergency.

I use iCloud because I mainly use Apple's native apps, and everything is synced across platforms.

njean777

I am just at a loss at what to do, I reverted back to lion due to the UI lag, but really miss old expose. That was my main reason for being excited about ML... So I don't know if I should just hope they update the UI lag on my retina MBP or just stick with lion...

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Quick question before I download...

Do i have Install all of my programs over after I do this update. I am sorry if this sounds stupid. thanks Gaf.

Tuck

So apparently Growl 2 will come to the App store with notification support. Would be cool if this was a work around for apps who aren't on the App store to still use notification center (The Verge seems to suggest that this is the case).

EDIT: Oh, apparently (See ivedoneyourmom's post below), this post is incorrect. Though then I'm not sure what the point of Growl 2 would be.

KtSlime

So apparently Growl 2 will come to the App store with notification support. Would be cool if this was a work around for apps who aren't on the App store to still use notification center (The Verge seems to suggest that this is the case).

People really should stop propagating this misinformation. All apps, AppStore, signed, or not have the ability to use Local Notifications. Push Notifications are the only notifications restricted to AppStore apps, but that's kind of a no brainer, since they use Apple's servers and resources.

Just discovered pinch-to-swipe-through-tabs in Safari. Glorious.
Oh my gosh.

The speed boost is way overhyped. If anything, it brought it back to where it was with snow leopard. I think going from piece of poo Lion to this is what's fooling people into thinking its super fast. The Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion jump probably isn't very noticeable in terms of performance. Actually, my boot up and shutdown time was still faster with SL. That's one thing I remember fondly about SL.

Except it's not just bringing it back to Snow Leopard levels of speed. With Lion, Apple completely updated the graphics foundation of the OS when they updated everything to OpenGL 3.2. That was a huge change, and we're lucky it went as smooth as it did for an OS that relies so heavily on desktop animation. That within a year, they've pretty much worked all the kinks out to get performance as good and sometimes better than Snow Leopard PLUS OpenGL 3.2 functionality is pretty impressive.

KtSlime

X11 has to be manually installed, as well. I'm sure that was automatic before.

I believe the OS will provide you dialog box with the option to download it whenever something accesses localhost:0.0, or when you launch X11.app for the first time - but I did not perform a clean install, so it may be different on those machines - pretty much the same as when you attempt to launch a Java app without it installed, or like how Snow Leopard did with Rosetta and PPC apps.

Edit: my bad, it redirects you to support documentation - too bad, should have done it nicer Apple.

JackEtc

I had a BTO Retina with a burn-in problem and was in the same situation. Call Apple and explain that you need the machine for work/school and cannot miss it, they will gladly arrange to send you a new model, so you can keep using your current Mac whilst you wait for the replacement to arrive.

Call them within the 30 day period, this is very important unless you want to receive a 'repaired' Macbook Pro. If you call within 30 days they will consider it a lemon and you will just be sent a brand new machine. Waiting times still apply though.. but they will put you in front of the line.

Fuck, It's been 30 days already =\

I have AppleCare, so maybe that'll be worth something. I have an appointment at the Apple Store today. Hopefully things'll work out.

Actually, do you think it's better to call, or to go to the Apple Store?

njean777

Fuck, It's been 30 days already =\

I have AppleCare, so maybe that'll be worth something. I have an appointment at the Apple Store today. Hopefully things'll work out.

Actually, do you think it's better to call, or to go to the Apple Store?

Well from my visit they just replaced mine with a new one, but I am thinking of returning it for a 11in air and a 21in imac. I am sick of the lag on ML and not to mention that it is a REV A product. I don't need to worry as I need a good laptop for school and the air is mature at this point.

JackEtc

Well from my visit they just replaced mine with a new one, but I am thinking of returning it for a 11in air and a 21in imac. I am sick of the lag on ML and not to mention that it is a REV A product. I don't need to worry as I need a good laptop for school and the air is mature at this point.
Hopefully I'll have the same luck as you; mine is BTO though so I'll probably have to wait for a new one.

I'm definitely getting another retina though, not exchanging. I'm going to school for video, and a display like that is so good. The Air isn't powerful enough for video work, either.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So, Reminders aren't syncing between my MBP and my iPhone. Any ideas?

Edit: Unchecked and checked Calendars and Reminders and voila.

RBH

AirPlay Mirroring seems to work well for browsing the internet and viewing videos through iTunes, but the video playback through YouTube is a bit choppy (at least through Safari).

Anyone had any better luck?

Korosenai

Nothing to see here

IGNORE!

im%20watching%20you%20-%20copia.jpg

AirPlay Mirroring seems to work well for browsing the internet and viewing videos through iTunes, but the video playback through YouTube is a bit choppy (at least through Safari).

Anyone had any better luck?
I have been able to watch HBO GO with no problems in Safari with mirroring. I have been using an AirPort Extreme on the 5GHz channel with the latest AppleTV.

dmshaposv

Just upgraded to mountain lion from SL.

Can anyone tell me how to access "versions", save a copy and power nap features.and whats this talk of Pinch to swipe to switch tabs in safari?

Also what the fuck is the point of launchpad?

JackEtc

Just got out of the Apple Store. They said they'd order a new display and replace the screen for me.

Better than nothing, I guess.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Can anyone tell me how to access "versions", save a copy and power nap features.and whats this talk of Pinch to swipe to switch tabs in safari?

I had no idea that you could do that. I've just upgraded to ML. Wow. It works. Just pinch and then use the swipe gesture to switch taps. Neat.

Also loving the dictation add on. Fab.

subrock

ok is it just me or did Mountain Lion improve startup speed by a lot? I'm using a 2012 Air and before it was OK speed, but this is like twice as fast, which is what I expected when I bought an SSD

edit: ok, for sure, I timed it and it turned on in around 12 seconds. thats insane. i dont know what it was on Lion exactly, but it was at least 25

I don't reboot very often but I did my first in a few days last night, holy shit.

noah111

Still Alive
Well, double fuck.

3sQ9R.png

The erase option is greyed out so there's no way for me to do what you guys advised me to do; reformat the main partition. Wtf do I do now? Can't upgrade, can't erase.. :|

ruxtpin

Banned
Does anyone know if there's a way to remove the "Y! Conversations" and "Bulk Mail" folder from showing in the Mac Mail app? Google search isn't turning up too much. I tried setting my Yahoo Mail account from IMAP to POP, but it looks like a free account isn't POP supported.

KtSlime

Also what the fuck is the point of launchpad?

Versions is an API and file modification database. The user interface for it can be accessed by a drop down menu in a document's (from apps that support the feature) titlebar. Not exactly sure what you mean about save a copy, but if you are talking about what used to be known as "Save as..." there are two ways of doing it - you can select Duplicate from the File menu and then Save the new file, or you can hold down option when opening the File menu and select Save as....

PowerNap is a feature for Macs which have an SSD that is not attached via SATA (The Air, and MBPr), it allows the computer to come on in a super low energy mode to do some network updates and backups (backups require connection to a power source).

If you have multiple tabs open in Safari and pinch in, it will show you part of the pages on the left and right, where you can swipe through them similar to spaces/coverflow.

LaunchPad is for people who are much more familiar with the app based computing paradigm popularized by iOS. Many of these people are not very familiar with navigating the Finder, and the Dock does not have unlimited space.

ruxtpin: I'd just collapse them (a hide button should appear when hovering over the top level mail account category)

noah111

Still Alive
you can't reformat from the partition you're currently booted into. you have to boot into the recovery partition, then reformat and reinstall via the Internet Recovery from there -

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718
Damn. For some reason I don't have a recovery partition (when I hold option on boot), and when I use cmd-R to boot into it, I get the internet recovery view, which displays this;

eShhL.jpg

Yeesh, I got bad luck or something. Thanks for the ongoing help though.

rezuth

Damn. For some reason I don't have a recovery partition (when I hold option on boot), and when I use cmd-R to boot into it, I get the internet recovery view, which displays this;

eShhL.jpg

Do you have a disc or a USB stick? Just make a bootable installation.

AlexMogil

eShhL.jpg

Rezuth has it right. Take your ML install and make a USB boot disk. It will allow you to reformat and also do the install. It will also put the recovery partition on there so you won't face this issue again. It's a good move.

JackEtc

Alright, now what the fuck. I just got home from the apple store, and I go and log in to my computer, and all I see is a black screen after I log in. WHAT IS HAPPENING TO MY LAPTOP

EDIT: Okay, it's working again. I don't know what is up at all.

noah111

Still Alive
That's actually what I was planning to do from the get-go, a clean install. Then I realized I didn't have an 8GB USB around and my 1TB external HDD didn't let me make a new partition, so I though "OK i'll just upgrade". Which as y'all know, didn't work either. So it seems i'm basically back to square one! Doing what I first intended to do anyway. :lol I better find myself an 8GB USB or a way to partition this external bitch soon!

That's actually what I was planning to do from the get-go, a clean install. Then I realized I didn't have an 8GB USB around and my 1TB external HDD didn't let me make a new partition, so I though "OK i'll just upgrade". Which as y'all know, didn't work either. So it seems i'm basically back to square one! Doing what I first intended to do anyway. :lol I better find myself an 8GB USB or a way to partition this external bitch soon!

Do you have a Snow Leopard disc laying around?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The Revision A talk makes me lean more towards a stopgap maxxed out Air.

Also, I love LaunchPad. It let me finally get rid of DragThing which I had been using like LP for years. It is amazing. I don't keep icons in my Dock.

NYR

Just go to best Buy. You can buy a 8 GB flash drive for under 10 bucks.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wouldn't call the MacRumors forum members geniuses. A large portion of them are a bunch of whiny ungrateful complainers. And this coming from someone who had one of his YouTube videos posted on their front page.

Pachimari

Why can't I sync Notes between my MBA and iOS devices? When I check Notes in iCloud on my iOS devices it asks for an iCloud mail and wants be to make a @me account but I already have an account, though with a gmail.

Cheebo

Banned
Why can't I sync Notes between my MBA and iOS devices? When I check Notes in iCloud on my iOS devices it asks for an iCloud mail and wants be to make a @me account but I already have an account, though with a gmail.

You need an iCloud account to use iCloud. Since you didn't make one all your content will be locked on the device you made them on because you are telling Apple you don't want to use iCloud. You need an account for the documents and other data to be assigned to.

Dazzla

anyone here running a NAS and notice performance issues under Mountain Lion? mine seems to be slower.

Yeah, accessing via SMB is much slower. My NAS at home is pretty painful, and accessing our server at work seems slower as well.

noah111

Still Alive
How long before someone finds out a hack to put widgets in the Notification Center? Like weather or CPU/network info, basically iStat Menus but in the NC.

Do you have a Snow Leopard disc laying around?
Yeah, but my disc drive has been dead for quite a while now. :lol I'll get my hands on an USB somehow, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom