• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X Mountain Lion. Move your Mac even further ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

It depends on the person. I'll likely skip for now because I wouldn't use any of the features. Everyone has different needs, it's not "insanity" just because they're underwhelmed, regardless of whether it's $20 or not.

It's $20 for your $1000+ machine that at the very least adds new features and improves performance

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It depends on the person. I'll likely skip for now because I wouldn't use any of the features. Everyone has different needs, it's not "insanity" just because they're underwhelmed, regardless of whether it's $20 or not.
You should be paying 20 dollars to get the performance boost. Almost everyone I know has been super impressed with how much more responsive their machine has been.

It's $20 for your $1000+ machine that at the very least adds new features and improves performance

And features I'll never use and I've actually noticed a speed bump when it says it will make it run faster. It adds nothing for me, I'm not arguing others shouldn't buy it, I'm just saying I don't think it's insane if someone isn't upgrading.

You should be paying 20 dollars to get the performance boost. Almost everyone I know has been super impressed with how much more responsive their machine has been.

I've been told this with snow leopard and everything else and I never notice anything. I'm not sure if something weird is going on with my machine but it seems to be going slower since I got it, not faster.

giga

Those of you without a code should try doing the up to date process again. I did it three times and the third reference number I got last night at 10 showed up this morning.

mlXk+

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
And features I'll never use and I've actually noticed a speed bump when it says it will make it run faster. It adds nothing for me, I'm not arguing others shouldn't buy it, I'm just saying I don't think it's insane if someone isn't upgrading.

I've been told this with snow leopard and everything else and I never notice anything. I'm not sure if something weird is going on with my machine but it seems to be going slower since I got it, not faster.
Someone misled you.

Hi.
I'm using a two year old MacBook Pro (13", 2,26GHz DualCore, 8GB Ram), do you think that's enough to run Mountain Lion at a good speed? I didn't install Lion because of all the reports that it's so slow.
I'm not really interested in the new features, but I'd install it if Safari and Flash support are improved as Safari crashes several times a day and my CPU heat jumps to 80° as soon as I open a page with some tiny flash content, it's really annoying.

Jimrpg

Those of you without a code should try doing the up to date process again. I did it three times and the third reference number I got last night at 10 showed up this morning.

how do you do it three times? I tried but it said I already claimed by code....

bit annoyed now as it still hasn't arrived!

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Is there a way to view the progress and download speed of Mountain Lion? All I see is the icon in Launchpad.

meppi

Hi.
I'm using a two year old MacBook Pro (13", 2,26GHz DualCore, 8GB Ram), do you think that's enough to run Mountain Lion at a good speed? I didn't install Lion because of all the reports that it's so slow.
I'm not really interested in the new features, but I'd install it if Safari and Flash support are improved as Safari crashes several times a day and my CPU heat jumps to 80° as soon as I open a page with some tiny flash content, it's really annoying.

You should be fine I think.

Also look into installing Clicktoflash.
I've been using this for a couple of years now and love how it block all flash until you come across something you actually want to use. Then you just click it and that one flash component loads.

giga

how do you do it three times? I tried but it said I already claimed by code....

bit annoyed now as it still hasn't arrived!
Odd. I'm guessing that means your application was approved the first time and mine wasn't the first two times I did it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
you can do this with bettertouchtool (for safari or any browser)

although I have found that the "tip tap" gesture is pretty good for switching tabs.
Been using this gesture too, tiptap +left/right for moving and +middle for closing the current tab.

You should be fine I think.

Also look into installing Clicktoflash.
I've been using this for a couple of years now and love how it block all flash until you come across something you actually want to use. Then you just click it and that one flash component loads.

Thanks. I'll give that app a try before getting Mountain Lion. I hope it won't completely block Youtube.

meppi

Thanks. I'll give that app a try before getting Mountain Lion. I hope it won't completely block Youtube.

That's actually the beauty of it.
Whenever there is an option to use HTML5, it'll load that instead of the flash video. :)
So only when the item on the page is flash exclusive with you get a grey box that you can click to open.

Anyone having trouble getting iMessage to register? I cannot for the life of me get my iCloud account name I use as iMessage on my iPhone to work on my MBA.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Youtube videos will look like this until you click, then the content will load (in either HTML5 or Flash depending on your settings). You can also whitelist the entire site in the settings so the flash content loads automatically.

ClickToFlash is actually a flash-only version of ClickToPlugin, I suggest checking it out too as it deals with even more content.

edgefusion

Does anyone else find the open app indicator on the dock way too faint? I find myself squinting to see if an app is open or if it's just part of the icons reflection.

Ambitious

Does anyone else find the open app indicator on the dock way too faint? I find myself squinting to see if an app is open or if it's just part of the icons reflection.

Yeah, but they did this deliberately. They want to eliminate the distinction between a running and a closed app for users. Similar to iOS: Click/tap on the icon, and it's there. Which is of course supported by their shift to SSDs.

I'm gonna use my customized 2D dock though, I hate this iOSification.

There a good Mac app thread around here? I have no idea what Apps to install on this new Mac.

No, but I'd like to have one too. For starters, have a look at my post in the OS X noobs thread: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=40332083

Grifter

installed this on my work machine (<3 app store re-download) and the notes icon was misplaced to the left at first, then auto-corrected. then i noticed that my lotus notes icon disappeared. quirky bug with dock item names, just a heads-up to the absolute zero of you who use lotus on mac.

KtSlime

Yeah, but they did this deliberately. They want to eliminate the distinction between a running and a closed app for users. Similar to iOS: Click/tap on the icon, and it's there. Which is of course supported by their shift to SSDs.

I'm gonna use my customized 2D dock though, I hate this iOSification.

Me too! I'm still pissed Apple took away my ability to set how much ram I want to allocate to an app.

mrkgoo

Upgrade. There's no reason for me to do a clean install.

I also upgraded. And always have. The closest thing i've done to a clean install was shifting from pc to a new intel mac.... I just transferred user stuff.

But always just install in place.

Carlisle

Thanks for that post. I tried the update process again and the website gave me an error saying that my serial number had already been claimed. Still no code though. Guess it's stuck in limbo somewhere.

mrkgoo

How long did spotlight go for after an install n place? I let it go and went to work, but apparently it had finished after an hour or so.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I got my third code and it works. I also have OS X Server now though....

Phoenix

Hi.

You're fine. I run it on a 4 year old MBP.

meppi

Anyone having trouble getting iMessage to register? I cannot for the life of me get my iCloud account name I use as iMessage on my iPhone to work on my MBA.

I'd say make sure you use the same iCloud account across everything, but that's pretty obvious.
Take a look at the appstore and iCloud in system preferences if those are using the same one as well.

It could also be that you have setup your iMessage to send messages with another email if you have different inboxes.
Be sure to check if the one you want to use is the only active one.

RBH

http://d.pr/i/mlXk+[IMG][/QUOTE]

Thanks for this tip. Just did the up to date process again and it says the claim has been submitted (with a new reference number), so maybe it wasn't approved the first time around.

Well I've passed the 48 hour mark. I heard back from the Mac App store support again and they said they can't investigate my "case" until it's been more than 72 hours. My girlfriend got her code last night and we did the Up To Date form about the same time.

I just noticed that when audio/video is playing in one of your Safari tabs, it shows a 'play' icon so you know where the sound comes from. Pretty sweet touch!

Chris R

I only got it so when I sell my '11 MBA later this year it is up to date. Never going to use any of the additional features, but the tiny speed increase is nice.

njean777

So did you guys do a clean install or just an upgrade?

Clean install for me, probably didn't need to, but I like to start fresh. I just transfer all my documents and iTunes over anytime a new OS comes out. The apps are easy enough to download so no biggie for me.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Hi.

Lion runs smooth even on a 2008 1st gen aluminum iMac; your machine should handle Mountain Lion fine, especially with the extra RAM in place.

How many emails are you supposed to receive from Apple?

EDIT: Nevermind. I received a total of 6 emails (3 content code emails + 3 password emails) with the same single App Store key. I have an after-work activity now.

KingKong

woot just got my code. applied around 5 pm on Wednesday

I got an email with a password protected pdf and an email with the pdf password, that's so weird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom