• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: Dragon Quest X Presentation (37min NOM NOM NOM)

Will this require a monthly fee? That's probably a silly question to ask. I have no idea what to expect from a Wii (and WiiU?) exclusive MMORPG.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm still confused about the "Kid's time" free hours of play...I mean, they already officially promoted that kind of service, detailing also the hours of the day during which you can play for free, detailing between normal week days and weekend days...and now they (Siliconera) states that this idea was skipped...

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Looks so pretty. <3 Music is nostalgic.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm still confused about the "Kid's time" free hours of play...I mean, they already officially promoted that kind of service, detailing also the hours of the day during which you can play for free, detailing between normal week days and weekend days...and now they (Siliconera) states that this idea was skipped...

Like I said, I think that is a mistake. They wouldn't cancel a big selling point like that 3 days before release in an online Q and A.

Aeana

I don't know where they got that idea. Kids' Time wasn't scrapped, and the info about it is still on the official site.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I don't know where they got that idea. Kids' Time wasn't scrapped, and the info about it is still on the official site.

The latest Iwata asks had discussion about kids time and one site reported it was cancelled. No way it is true.

Bladenic

Watched the footage. Still don't care. Which is good since I doubt this'll be released in the west with SE declaring the series dead and Nintendo probably not thinking it worth it for this game.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Kids time is the only thing I will buy the game for. I'm a big kid now.

Bladenic

It'd be nice to be able to play it, but the IP block was the last straw for me. Maybe someday.

First DQ ever that you (probably) won't play? Impressive that SE could actually achieve such a feat.

Honestly I'm hoping this game flops... only so they stop making the series head in this direction.

Mario007

Watched the footage. Still don't care. Which is good since I doubt this'll be released in the west with SE declaring the series dead and Nintendo probably not thinking it worth it for this game.

I doubt Nintendo wouldn't want to show-off the online infrastructure of Wii U in the west with a game from a recognised franchise and backing of a major game developer.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want to play an MMORPG on the Wii.

I'm not against a Dragon Quest MMORPG, though.

muu

An IP block was added at the end of beta, and I was told that it'll extend into the final game.

Aw, that sucks. I only heard about the beginning where there was no IP block in place. I could imagine Chinese gold farmers going apeshit during Kids Time if something like that wasn't in place...

Guess I'll have to cancel my preorder.

chris3116

I don't know yet. I would wait for the Wii U version to see if it's ok. I don't expect to see the Wii version in North America.

mr stroke

I'm getting a very strong feeling this could very well stay Japan only, even on the Wii U. The cost to localize and run could very well be to much for the return they might expect to get. Dragon Quest is not on the same level as Final Fantasy when it comes to the non-Japanese market and Square Enix has to know this. Dragon Quest IX was a success outside of Japan in part because of Nintendo's backing. To jump to a MMO after recent wide scale (even that's questionable) acceptance might not be a good idea. I will not be surprised if they don't release this outside of Japan. How well it does in Japan is still up in the air as well.

Maybe some hope of a US WiiU+PC release?

I don't know yet. I would wait for the Wii U version to see if it's ok. I don't expect to see the Wii version in North America.

Same here. If the rest of the world gets this game it will be on Wii U most likely. Honestly probably for the best since it's an online game.

Antagon

I still don't get why SE is releasing a mmo at this point in the wii life cycle. Why not go Wii U exclusive and not deal with the memory constraints for the rest of the games life?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wii U is also getting it.

I'd definitely be more interested in playing it there. You really want a decent resolution and framerate for an MMORPG. It would also be nice to have the ability to actually communicate with your party outside of canned emoticons.

Aeana

I'd definitely be more interested in playing it there. You really want a decent resolution and framerate for an MMORPG. It would also be nice to have the ability to actually communicate with your party outside of canned emoticons.
The game supports USB keyboards.

Nekki

I don't understand why there's a battle transition... seeing as how you can perfectly see others fighting, and even intervene (although sometimes other characters are faded out, but they can be seen).

Maybe to prevent kill stealing?

rpmurphy

I don't understand why there's a battle transition... seeing as how you can perfectly see others fighting, and even intervene (although sometimes other characters are faded out, but they can be seen).

Maybe to prevent kill stealing?
As a bystander, you can only do a limited set of support actions. The game's combat is still party vs. monster, and without some kind of transition, it would be difficult to determine which party got into battle. It's just a design decision, probably to make it feel a little bit like a traditional DQ game.

Hiltz

As far as the Wii U version of Dragon Quest X goes, Square Enix has said that the game would feature better graphics (I think it is currently unknown if its gonna be a full graphical remake or just a prettier Wii game), 2 extra character jobs, and the Wii U and Wii versions being compatible. I think we can all safely imagine they'll make use of the GamePad in some ways as well.

Hiltz

A Wii/U title with a monthly fee would tank in the West, right?

Yeah, Square Enix would be foolish to do that over here. Perhaps they'll just do it like how Capcom charged only Japanese gamers for Monster Hunter Tri's online mode. I recall Capcom's Sven mentioned once that it wasn't cheap to maintain the servers of Monster Hunter Tri overseas, but it had to be done if Capcom wanted to make the game more appealing overseas.

Kandinsky

Yeah, Square Enix would be foolish to do that over here. Perhaps they'll just do it like how Capcom charged only Japanese gamers for Monster Hunter Tri's online mode. I recall Capcom's Sven mentioned once that it wasn't cheap to maintain the servers of Monster Hunter Tri overseas.

Is more likely that the game doesnt come out at all here then them not charging a sub :p

Hiltz

Is more likely that the game doesnt come out at all here then them not charging a sub :p

It makes me wonder if Square Enix has any plans to bring DQX overseas for Wii owners at all. Maybe they'll just release the Wii U Version instead while Japan gets both.

rpmurphy

The major nitpick for me is the lack of density shown. So much wide open space is not that much fun to me for an RPG.

The changing weather could be a nice addition if it affects the gameplay in any way like the day/night system does.

I would really like to see some dungeons. Hopefully there are dungeons.

Top Bottom