• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Rayman Legends media released: 5 screens and boxart... No port begging

onQ123

Looks nice every since the HD Generation started I wanted to see more 2D games made in HD. I still Hope for remakes of the old Mario games like this & even Mortal Kombat.

GimMick

Ok so I see one issue that I personally have with the boxart and I'm grasping at straws? I find it a little odd that I see the image in a different way and get attacked by gaf for it.
I didn't mean to be offensive, sorry if I came up that way. Just thought it was a weird complaint.

Wow, this game looks amazing! Is this confirmed to be 60fps?
I believe it is, like Origins. Confirmed at E3 iirc.

Jumpman23

I think Trine 2 is more spectacular looking, but this one looks incredible too.

I managed to squeeze in some play time with Trine 2 at E3 on Wii U and it looked and played perfectly. I was told the team ported the ENTIRE game in just a matter of weeks. I also asked if additional features would be incoming like touch screen support and was told they are assessing that with a good possibility of SOME new things happening.

I just wish they would have done a package deal, Trine Collection including both games.

emb

Love the box. Game looks great, though I still think the character art is a bit over the top for my tastes.

Lijik

I think NSMBU looks fine, but Rayman Legends (and Origins, while we're at it) provides a ton of context to people who think Mario should be doing more in terms of visual style and art direction.

I would do anything for a new Mario or Yoshi's Island that looked like that.

I agree with Kaijima a bit that every game shouldn't look like Rayman, obviously whats great with art is a variety of styles and voices. But really, the NSMB look is clean without also also being appealing which I think is what triggers the "I want Mario to look like this!" comments, because the Rayman games carry obvious appeal.

I think a good fit for Mario would be the middleground between NSMB and Rayman that is Wario Land Shake It. Its clean, vibrant, and appealing. I think the backgrounds in NSMBU are finally stepping up to the plate, but if we could have that and characters that looked like the NES/GB/SNES boxarts - oh man. That'd be right on the money for Mario.

18-Volt

The only "lame" thing are people hoping for the game on other consoles. If you and your wife fell in love it you'd get it regardless of where it goes.
Yes, I can only understand "oh god, there'll be a console launch and there are many awesome games I want for the system! Yet i won't buy the console" logic if you actually lack money. This, my friends, is a true system seller.

Btw, no Globox on the cover? Booo! That guy is so much better than Rayman that the title of the first game should have been Globox Origins.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mother of God. I... I think I need this.

But I can't spring for a Wii U at launch. I should just buy a copy when it comes out and wait to get a Wii U. :/

Pfft. Origins plays fine.

Plays fine, but not tight. Could be so much better. Especially for a game that requires so much speed and accuracy.

Yes, I can only understand "oh god, there'll be a console launch and there are many awesome games I want for the system! Yet i won't buy the console" logic if you actually lack money. This, my friends, is a true system seller.

Btw, no Globox on the cover? Booo! That guy is so much better than Rayman that the title of the first game should have been Globox Origins.

For you perhaps. For me, not even close. Origins didn't sell and it's essentially the same game. This isn't a system seller. This is a game I buy along with the system when I eventually do have a reason to buy it, though. For 19.99 or less like Origins. A new Metroid FPS would probably be a system seller for me.

NSMBU looks fine in certain areas, that is some of the backgrounds which are pretty nice looking. Too bad the foreground palette and Mario himself are still so unimpressive.
And obviously just copying Rayman wouldn't fit Mario, but even other Nintendo games like Epic Yarn or DKC Returns show that it could be something better.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I think NSMBU looks fine, but Rayman Legends (and Origins, while we're at it) provides a ton of context to people who think Mario should be doing more in terms of visual style and art direction.

I would do anything for a new Mario or Yoshi's Island that looked like that.
Holy shit, Yoshi's Island artstyle in HD would be amazing!

Shiggy

Rayman Legends looks beautiful.

Do Nintendo have eyes ?

No, otherwise they would've chosen this style
340x-1

instead of that.
kirbys-return-dreamland-4.jpg

Or something like this

instead of that.
pic4.jpg

olimpia84

I don't think I'll be able to play (or even buy) NSMBU after watching these screens and videos. This game looks fantastic and if they have the same level designers from Origins then this game is guaranteed to be the best platformer out there.

muu

Plays fine, but not tight. Could be so much better. Especially for a game that requires so much speed and accuracy.

For you perhaps. For me, not even close. Origins didn't sell and it's essentially the same game. This isn't a system seller. This is a game I buy along with the system when I eventually do have a reason to buy it, though. For 19.99 or less like Origins. A new Metroid FPS would probably be a system seller for me.

Marketing will make or break the game, really. It isn't surprising that Origins was lackluster in sales: the overwhelming majority are looking for dudebro shooters, and people probably could not comprehend a 2D game looking good. A release coinciding w/ WiiU's launch could really be a way of jump-starting the Rayman brand again... though being Ubi they'll just spend all their advertising money on ZombieU and let Rayman Legends die a slow death again.

pramath

Banned
While I can certainly see the reason Nintendo made NSMB U look the way it does for marketing reasons (simplicity, familiarity, mass market appeal)... yes, Rayman Legends blows it out of the water.

Personally, I think Rayman completely destroys the 2D Mario franchise in every way.

Bgamer90

Banned

I can agree with that. Overall the game isn't bad at all in terms of controls though imo.

Rayman Origins was my GOTY for 2011. I would have no problem getting this for $60.

I'm not getting a Wii U just for this though. Not interested in the system (at the moment). I hope a spinoff version comes out for the 360 sometime soon.

RedSwirl

Looks good, though folks need to realize that art styles are relative.

That, and the extremely stylized, painterly style these Rayman games are using isn't ideal for all games. These games have very loose, forgiving platforming. Essentially everything is humongous super sized to account for the irregular, impressionistic visuals.

People should just be happy that games with a variety of styles are being made, instead of all of one thing. I get the impression that some who don't think it through would want every single platformer, for instance, to just use Rayman's graphic set.

People have an extremely difficult time separating art and end effect from technology.

"Best looking ever" is usually taken to literally mean the most advanced display of technology, etc. Rayman Origins and Legends are technologically simple compared to many games. Likewise, plenty of games using advanced and expensive tech get fawned over as 'best ever' when they have dull or uninteresting art, design, etc.

There is no best looking game ever. There are too many ways in which a game may looking appealing. A more logical observation might be that these Rayman games may have the best execution of this style of visuals so far in a video game. They are the best in their class.

What makes these Rayman games look so good is not the art style itself, but how vividly they display that art style. There's virtually no sense of disconnect between concept and gameplay - it looks like you are literally playing a piece of production art.

One of the only other games to do this for me has been Muramasa on the Wii. I actually consider it the best-looking Wii game I've ever seen because it nearly completely removed the barrier between the original art and what I was playing.

Marketing will make or break the game, really. It isn't surprising that Origins was lackluster in sales: the overwhelming majority are looking for dudebro shooters, and people probably could not comprehend a 2D game looking good. A release coinciding w/ WiiU's launch could really be a way of jump-starting the Rayman brand again... though being Ubi they'll just spend all their advertising money on ZombieU and let Rayman Legends die a slow death again.

Seems like every single console and handheld launch now comes with a Rayman game of some sort. I admire the fact that they don't give up trying. For me personally, it wasn't because I wanted a "dudebro" game instead (unless Dark Souls is dudebro now), but because Origins didn't strike me to be a wise use of my 60 dollars. A month later and I nabbed it for 19.99. Well worth it at that price. Bought it again on Vita for 19.99. I've done my part to support them, but I won't be buying a new console just for that series. I don't like it as much. A beautifully rendered Yoshi's Island type game? For that yes.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If Rayman's controls aren't 'tight' I want to know what is. If you say Super Meat Boy, you are missing the point. The controls are so 'tight' in that game that it's unrealistic. It exchanges a lot of friction for pinpoint challenges. Where as Rayman uses momentum as part of the challenge.

In other words, the classic platformers with Super Meat Boys controls/physics would be shit easy

pramath

Banned
If Rayman's controls aren't 'tight' I want to know what is. If you say Super Meat Boy, you are missing the point. The controls are so 'tight' in that game that it's unrealistic. It exchanges a lot of friction for pinpoint challenges. Where as Rayman uses momentum as part of the challenge.

In other words, the classic platformers with Super Meat Boys controls/physics would be shit easy

Origins controls and gameplay are bloody brilliant. Haters be damned.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Goddamn. My only concern is the word from E3 about it being 30FPS. I don't have a source on that, but I read it on GAF. The game looks stunning in stills but it needs a smooth framerate to do it justice in motion.

Origins controls and gameplay are bloody brilliant. Haters be damned.

There's some room for improvement, but overall the controls are great. I'm always a bit baffled when I see people claim that Rayman had unwieldy controls.

hachi

Banned
Nintendo needs to take notes on how a Mario game should look.

No. This style of animation (skeletal, squish, rotate, scale, etc) is not at all appropriate to the Mario franchise. It's a fine and frankly inevitable choice for Rayman and iOS games, but still remains an approach that carries an inevitable flash-like feel in motion.

As much as I initially felt cautious about NSMB's adoption of 2.5D over pixel art, that was the right decision to make when creating a contemporary Mario platformer. There's a higher level of clarity (foreground/background differentiation) and precision (sharply defined platform and object edges, collisions) needed with Mario's style of platforming, as well as a need for fluid animation of Mario's motions, whereas Rayman characters will always look like a set of changing 2D images shifting atop a frame.

The only "lame" thing are people hoping for the game on other consoles. If you and your wife fell in love it you'd get it regardless of where it goes.

Not if we aren't planning on purchasing a Wii U. We love Rayman Origins, and won't play Legends until both the console and game come down in price, which will be in 2 years. So we don't love Legends now.

daakusedo

Origins control is relatively fine, it's just that it's annoying how I was never totally confident with it, that and how wall jumping slow you.
And no at mario looking like that, it has its proper and highly reconizable style tied to the particular level design of the serie and even more don't need having the action taking place in the middle ground of the scene for the sake of making an organic image.

Also I don't understand how the last rayman games are so often compared to the mario serie when it wouldn't surprise me if DKCR was running strong at ubi during the 2011 part of the development.

Sianos

Look even better than Origins, which was fantastic. Can't wait for more Rayman goodness, although I probably will wait for a price drop before jumping on the Wii U considering I'm not the wealthiest Gaffer.

Top Bottom