• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Rayman Legends media released: 5 screens and boxart... No port begging

Lijik

Mario games shouldn't look like shovelware either, though.

They're slowly getting better. NSMBU at least looks respectable.
Some of the assets in NSMB DS though, yeesh. Might as well be from a 99 cent ISpy ios game.

Even the fortress music has those annoying vocals now! Gaaaaahhh
Oh dude what. This aggression, like, cannot stand man. Why would they ruin the best song in the NSMB games

ArjanN

The only "lame" thing are people hoping for the game on other consoles. If you and your wife fell in love it you'd get it regardless of where it goes.

Not to derail this thread but IMO it's pretty much a given they'll port it all over the place eventually.

Game looks great by the way.

They're slowly getting better. NSMBU at least looks respectable.

Yeah, I actually agree.
But then you look at games like Kirby's Epic Yarn, Wario Land Wii and the Rayman games and you have to wonder why some of the best-selling games ever can't look really, really nice instead of just serviceable.

N3PXR.png

Seeing them side by side I do prefer the original simpler style but I'm still glad that they're evolving the game's presentation instead of just going with what worked in the past.

Look where that's gotten Nintendo :/

Chaplain

Nintendo needs to take notes on how a Mario game should look.

I would say that the team behind Rayman should be given a shot at making the next 2D Mario game (just like Capcom did with Zelda). Ubisoft has proven to me that they know how to make fresh and incredible platforming games.

stuminus3

Smart move by Ubi to get this as an pillar of the Wii U launch line-up, especially since it's exclusive. If it's a Rabbids-sized hit then Rayman himself might finally get front and center again.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Smart move by Ubi to get this as an pillar of the Wii U launch line-up, especially since it's exclusive. If it's a Rabbids-sized hit then Rayman himself might finally get front and center again.

Do we know yet if it's really launch line-up, though? I hope that's the case but as far as I know it still a launch window release.

I hope this sells better than NSMB U, it certainly deserves to. Maybe then that'd give Nintendo a kick in the ass to become creative with the 2D Mario games like they used to be.

PhantomR

Banned
Why does EVERY Rayman thread here eventually devolve into a "Mario teh suxxxorzzz" whinefest?

Rayman has incredible art style and animation
Mario has ridiculous level design and tight controls

They are both world class franchises in their own right. Deal with it. Accept it. Move on.

Fireblend

Banned
Very impressive... unfortunately it's frustrating watching those 2 play. They are horrible at the game.

Seriously :lol

Neither me nor my gf can wait for this game. I haven't been a console gamer for years but this might be about to change. Wow.

Dartastic

Between this and ZombiU, Ubi is really killing it with the launch lineup. If it wasn't for them, I would consider not buying a WiiU day one. Now I MUST HAVE ONE.

Chaplain

Why does EVERY Rayman thread here eventually devolve into a "Mario teh suxxxorzzz" whinefest?

They are both world class franchises in their own right. Deal with it. Accept it. Move on.

I think because Rayman raised the bar, and people want Nintendo to raise it even further.

Lijik

Yeah, I actually agree.
But then you look at games like Kirby's Epic Yarn, Wario Land Wii and the Rayman games and you have to wonder why some of the best-selling games ever can't look really, really nice instead of just serviceable.

Oh definitely.
Its kind of sad too since, I feel like the solution is simple. Imagine a Mario game with backgrounds at the same level of fidelty as NSMBU, but with character art and animation akin to Wario Land. I feel like one of the biggest problems with NSMB visually is that theres just no personality to the look and animation of the characters, which is surprising since Mario 3D Land nails this while still retaining a clean look people want from a Mario.
This is a really sloppy shop, but I whipped it up quickly to illustrate my point:
iblHEoUlf5j3bN.png

Bgamer90

Banned

Not really a whinefest.

People just wish 2D Mario went back to having a creative/unique art style like Rayman.

Mario being a much bigger franchise than Rayman kind of adds on to that.

chris3116

It looks very awesome and very fun. But I'm not a fan of Rayman so I don't know if I'll get it. I'll probably try it.

StickSoldier said:
I hope this sells better than NSMB U, it certainly deserves to. Maybe then that'd give Nintendo a kick in the ass to become creative with the 2D Mario games like they used to be. .

Sorry but NSMBU will outsell Rayman for sure.

Mit-

Is this game actually going to be rendered in 1080p? Or are these bullshots?

Not that it would look bad in 720p.

ffdgh

Oh definitely.
Its kind of sad too since, I feel like the solution is simple. Imagine a Mario game with backgrounds at the same level of fidelty as NSMBU, but with character art and animation akin to Wario Land. I feel like one of the biggest problems with NSMB visually is that theres just no personality to the look and animation of the characters, which is surprising since 3D Land nails this.
This is a really sloppy shop, but I whipped it up quickly to illustrate my point:
http://i.minus.com/iblHEoUlf5j3bN.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Hmm mario and luigi's bowser inside story sprites could be a perfect match.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Game looks amazing, though I'd take generic art + Mario controls over incredible art + Rayman controls any day of the week.

Lijik

Hmm mario and luigi's bowser inside story sprites could be a perfect match.

Im pretty sure the same art team did the sprites for Super Princess Peach (at least, a lot of the scenery in SPP looks a lot like the areas in the M+L games)
Never understood why Nintendo didn't put them on bigger projects, it'd be perfect.

u_neek

Looks absolutely amazing - I'm so glad Ubi gave this a second chance.

And it makes me wish that Japanese developers would still release RPGs with pre-rendered backgrounds.

PhantomR

Banned
I think because Rayman raised the bar, and people want Nintendo to raise it even further.

Have you PLAYED Mario Galaxy 2? That is currently a bar that is unattainable by anyone other than Nintendo as far as platformers are concerned.

Now if we're just talking about 2D platformers, then my apologies on missing your point there. I still think that we're slamming Nintendo on the art style and animation of the 2D games yet for some reason ignoring how badass the level designs and controls are on every game that EAD puts out.

That's my point. Ubisoft excells in one area, and Nintendo is excelling in another. Doesn't mean that Nintendo = Bad and Ubisoft = Good.

New Mario 2D games lose in every aspect to the new Rayman games.

I hope there's a competent single player portion like Origins! Surely they wouldn't create this beautiful, amazing-looking sequel and forced the solo players to use touch screen controls constantly, right?

Right.

Oh definitely.
Its kind of sad too since, I feel like the solution is simple. Imagine a Mario game with backgrounds at the same level of fidelty as NSMBU, but with character art and animation akin to Wario Land. I feel like one of the biggest problems with NSMB visually is that theres just no personality to the look and animation of the characters, which is surprising since Mario 3D Land nails this while still retaining a clean look people want from a Mario.
http://i.minus.com/iblHEoUlf5j3bN.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this looks pretty neat. I really wonder why they refuse to go all they way and have the foreground match the background. That is something they should talk about in a Iwata Asks.

NinjaBoiX

Wow, really startling screen shots. That one with all the black critters on the right made me audibly gasp.

Still loving origins on my Vita, so beautiful.

Top Bottom