• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Rayman Legends media released: 5 screens and boxart... No port begging

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Probably because the market mostly reacts with hostility to 2D sprite-based graphics at full price.

Do they? Is it the same market that would have bought the game? I find that the people who complain about that were never going to buy a 2d platformer in the first place. I've never met someone who has said 'I would've bought this sidescroller if it used actual polygons'. Sure, there's people who want a 2d side scroller to be 3 dimension, but they mean in all ways not just the graphics.

Do people see movies like Princess and the Frog and say 'why isn't this cg? This is outdated'. I really don't think that 2d or 3d matter in these kinds of games.

pramath

Banned
This still makes me sad.

Rayman looks amazing though, not sure it's better looking than Origins, but it looks just as good. One of the best looking games of all time.

The graphics are definitely more advanced than Origins.

ifGBhQ1bGkV6m.png

Shion

But again, I have to mention that it's not fair to simply diss on the art style of the 2D Mario games yet not give any props to the brilliantly crafted level design and awesome controls. I don't find the game play in NSMB "disgraceful" at all in my opinion.
Yes, that's true.

NSMBW (not the mediocre DS entry) had amazing level design, my reference was strictly limited to production/presentation.

pramath

Banned
I wouldn't say advanced, just different.

Image quality looks cleaner. Even more stuff going on on-screen. Those would be advancements.

The artstyle seems richer and more detailed. That could be seen as an advancement as well, but also an evolution in art direction.

Not a fan of the character art style (it reminds me of certain Flash games) but the game itself is graphically nice and has great detail and color.

I don't know if that makes sense... but yeah. :p

Of course, the game still looks fun.

Hey GAF

^ Awesome

<3

My biggest issue is that they aren't going for 1080p which shouldn't be hard at all. Also the shovelwhare complaints really just dont apply. I think what a lot people don't get is that the art style in these games are definitely deliberate.

Do they? Is it the same market that would have bought the game? I find that the people who complain about that were never going to buy a 2d platformer in the first place. I've never met someone who has said 'I would've bought this sidescroller if it used actual polygons'. Sure, there's people who want a 2d side scroller to be 3 dimension, but they mean in all ways not just the graphics.

Do people see movies like Princess and the Frog and say 'why isn't this cg? This is outdated'. I really don't think that 2d or 3d matter in these kinds of games.
They absolutely do. Anecdotally, I have heard people say that exact thing.

And even Disney picked up on that. Pooh was basically not marketed at all and the amount of traditional animation since Princess and the Frog has been anemic, at best.

I know people who are hardcore gamers that do not believe sprite-based fighters should cost as much as 3D ones. To them, $60 for Persona 4 Arena is insane because it should cost more like Skullgirls.

Epic Yarn got a lot of the "Why is this a retail title when it would be downloadable on any other system?" bullshit in threads here and among some gaming journalists.

The "CG is just plain better" mentality is pretty common in the mainstream. It's flashy, it's colorful, it's not early 90s, the market is more willing to spend money on it.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Can't believe that's all in game stuff.

Awesome art style. I still need to pick up Origins ...

daakusedo

I wouldn't be especially for a total 2d assets game cause I experienced with the different 2d platformers released this gen that flatness wins over the quality of details you can put in it...and those batch of screens above catch the feeling I like from nsmbw...
But seeing how rayman sold pretty well in the long term, I'm not sure it would affect Mario...that much.

Haunted

Er, 90% of that is a screenhsot from NSMBU. The only things he shopped in were flat sprites for the models in the real game.
yes yes, but the new models are the part I'm most unhappy with. The backgrounds in the new game are a big improvement over the boring ones in the first game.

It was a failed reference to that Simpsons thread in the OT. :p

ArynCrinn

Banned
The graphics are definitely more advanced than Origins.

I actually didn't realize, thanks for pointing it out. Personally though, I wouldn't say it looks tangibly better, just maybe slightly different. Looking at the simple comparison there though, I'd probably prefer the simpler Origins style, but that's just my taste.

On NSMBWii, I thought it looked just fine for what it was. Obviously the series could use a visual overhaul, preferably with 2D sprites and great pixel art, maybe even Vanilla Ware-type art, but it looked fine.

More Rayman Legends media released: 5 screens and boxart... Best Looking Gaming Ever?

I believe so

Good point, better get back on topic.

Boy this game looks so much better than that NSMB disgrace that has forever scarred my childhood, why Nintendo WHY?!

Hey it turned into a Mario thread again....

AzaK

They absolutely do. Anecdotally, I have heard people say that exact thing.

And even Disney picked up on that. Pooh was basically not marketed at all and the amount of traditional animation since Princess and the Frog has been anemic, at best.

I know people who are hardcore gamers that do not believe sprite-based fighters should cost as much as 3D ones. To them, $60 for Persona 4 Arena is insane because it should cost more like Skullgirls.

Epic Yarn got a lot of the "Why is this a retail title when it would be downloadable on any other system?" bullshit in threads here and among some gaming journalists.

The "CG is just plain better" mentality is pretty common in the mainstream. It's flashy, it's colorful, it's not early 90s, the market is more willing to spend money on it.

They're not if that's how they think. :\ A hardcore gamer can sit down in front of all his friends and play pong.

Marketing will make or break the game, really. It isn't surprising that Origins was lackluster in sales: the overwhelming majority are looking for dudebro shooters, and people probably could not comprehend a 2D game looking good. A release coinciding w/ WiiU's launch could really be a way of jump-starting the Rayman brand again... though being Ubi they'll just spend all their advertising money on ZombieU and let Rayman Legends die a slow death again.

I can see both Ubisoft and Nintendo marketing Legends and ZombiU equally. Ubisoft are going to make a small fortune out of their U support. There are going to be more than a few executives of major publishers kicking themselves when they realise.

Supporting any new console at launch with decent quality software that's marketed properly isn't much of a risk tbh. And supporting a new Nintendo console that's launching with a new 2D Mario is a licence to print money.

They're not if that's how they think. :\ A hardcore gamer can sit down in front of all his friends and play pong.

And now we're getting into semantics. Can we just skip this one and say a hardcore gamer is anyone who plays a lot of games and / or talks about them on the Internet? Okay, good.

Back to your regularly scheduled pissing match.

apana

I think they want to avoid giving Mario a cartoon look because they want to appeal to a mainstream audience and avoid "kiddy" accusations. They also want to make sure that the average consumer can tell that it is a videogame.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Legends looks fantastic, I just hope they sell enough to cover development for it on one console, Origins from memory didn't exactly break the bank but sold enough on 6 platforms to break even.

pramath

Banned
Legends looks fantastic, I just hope they sell enough to cover development for it on one console, Origins from memory didn't exactly break the bank but sold enough on 6 platforms to break even.

Never underestimate the power of a console launch and what it could do for a quality franchise.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I kind of prefer the look of Origins, but this is still absolutely stunning and will stand as one of the best looking 2D games ever made. If this is a launch game then the WiiU might actually have a really strong start. A new 2D Rayman game at launch? How amazing is that?!

I can see how both have their place really, although I do like the look of Origins a bit more too.

Still, UbiSoft, you're selling me on the WiiU between this and ZombiU far more than Nintendo has managed to do, that's pretty crazy. Anyway, Day 1, frankly.

pramath

Banned
I can see how both have their place really, although I do like the look of Origins a bit more too.

Still, UbiSoft, you're selling me on the WiiU between this and ZombiU far more than Nintendo has managed to do, that's pretty crazy. Anyway, Day 1, frankly.

This may very well be a part of Nintendo's strategy. They held first party titles back to an even greater degree with the 3DS launch to foster 3rd party support, but the problem is they didn't have the third parties sufficient to fill in the gaps in that case.

Kouriozan

I'm a big platformer fan, so I'm very hyped to get this + NSMBU + Cloudberry Kingdoms at launch.
Long live to 2D/3D platformers!!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Alright, this is getting really fucking annoying.

A topic explicitly devoted to Rayman Legends and how gorgeous it is has denigrated to another thread bashing Nintendo for its 2D Mario choices. Same thing happened in Media Create for goodness sake.

WTF is up with this place?

Alright, this is getting really fucking annoying.

A topic explicitly devoted to Rayman Legends and how gorgeous it is has denigrated to another thread bashing Nintendo for its 2D Mario choices. Same thing happened in Media Create for goodness sake.

WTF is up with this place?

2D Mario is serious business, apparently.

I, however, plan to acquire both Rayman and Mario, and I will achieve happiness.

Salsa

yeah im getting a wii-u eventually but I hope it's a timed exclusive, for the sake of me, everyone, and Ubi

Top Bottom