• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 32, 2012 (Aug 06 - Aug 12)

watershed

Banned
NSMB2 - ~5% DL sales
Oni Training - ~20% DL sales

http://jp.wsj.com/IT/node_496395

If true the NSMB2 number is not surprising. Besides the coin bonus there's very little incentive to download instead of buy at retail. A bit surprised at the Oni Training percentage though.

Edit: It really does seem like Nintendo's strategy with DD is to offer it with the aim of actually pushing consumers towards retail.

Labadal

Is there any interesting upcoming Vita game in the world?

Sure:
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Tearaway
Dragon's Crown (lol)
LittleBigPlanet
Guacamelee
Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
Final Fantasy X HD
Soul Sacrifice
Lego The Lord of the Rings: The Video Game
Retro City Rampage

These are some of the games I have an interest in. Then there are probably other games coming.

August 30th there is a new Hatsune Miku game.

Edit: Previous Miku game sales (from Garaph):
1 PSP 2009-07-02 Hatsune Miku: Project Diva 187,558
2 PSP 2010-06-24 Miku - Project DIVA - (Deal Edition) 72,726
3 PSP 2010-07-29 Hatsune Miku: Project Diva 2n 367,364
4 PSP 2011-11-10 Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Extend 264,308
5 3DS 2012-03-08 Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai 122,698

I see, might do okayish, I guess.

Will Miku be able to pull at least 200k units, becoming the best selling game on Vita?

Btw, interesting percentage for Nintendo software. Can we extrapolate actual figures?

Foshy

Sure:
Tearaway
Dragon's Crown (lol)
LittleBigPlanet
Guacamelee
Final Fantasy X HD
Soul Sacrifice
Retro City Rampage

These are some of the games I have an interest in. Then there are probably other games coming.
DJ Max Technika, NFS:MW, PS All-Stars, Killzone: Mercenary, Ys Celceta and New Little Kings Story come to mind.

Dystify

5% isn't much but Iwata apparently sees it more positive in the article.
Higher online sales for demon training seem to be cause of the obvious reason of not having to switch game cards all the time.

urfe

If true the NSMB2 number is not surprising. Besides the coin bonus there's very little incentive to download instead of buy at retail. A bit surprised at the Oni Training percentage though.

Edit: It really does seem like Nintendo's strategy with DD is to offer it with the aim of actually pushing consumers towards retail.

The funny thing is their three campaigns on the Japanese Club Nintendo shop for these two downloadable titles.

I hope this is Nintendo doing things first by the book (i.e. pricing games at the suggested price despite retailers ALWAYS pricing games lower), and they will learn from their lessons by the winter. I'm really itching for Brain Training, but don't want to spend more than 3000 yen.

Its obvious Mario will eventually outsell any Vita games in DD sales, just due to the amount of hardware sold alone. Even Demon training might be able to do it too.

Mario will sell over a long time and its safe to say DD sales in general will only get better and not worse. Its the perfect title to push the eShop and Nintendo's online efforts as a whole.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, is it correct the calculation jonno394 did?

P.S. We need a translation of the WSJ article. It should be VERY interesting.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Sure:
Tearaway
Dragon's Crown (lol)
LittleBigPlanet
Guacamelee
Final Fantasy X HD
Soul Sacrifice
Retro City Rampage

That list may be interesting to you but with 1-2 exceptions uninteresting to most buyers.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
wondering are these percentages total digital sales (card + eshop) or just card?

I think the percentage refers to ALL digital sales, since it's Iwata who has shared the datas. But maybe he's referring to just eShop sales, since retail cards can be considered perfectly as retail sales since...they are retail sales.

The funny thing is their three campaigns on the Japanese Club Nintendo shop for these two downloadable titles.

I hope this is Nintendo doing things first by the book (i.e. pricing games at the suggested price despite retailers ALWAYS pricing games lower), and they will learn from their lessons by the winter. I'm really itching for Brain Training, but don't want to spend more than 3000 yen.

sorry but for all your wants nintendo will not price digital cheaper than RRP they would piss off too many retailers doing that, as for prices on download cards well obviously its up to retailers to set them

test_account

XP-39C²
So, is it correct the calculation jonno394 did?

P.S. We need a translation of the WSJ article. It should be VERY interesting.
We dont know if those 5% and 20% includes the cards sold at retail, so we cant calculate the percentages from the numbers we have.

We dont know if those 5% and 20% includes the cards sold at retail, so we cant calculate the percentages from the numbers we have.

We can at least calculate the "minimum" amount of digital sales, though I believe that Iwata's numbers would simply be pulled from doing "how many DLs of NSMB2 have there been" which would include card sales and eshop sales.

mclem

My gut would suggest that cards purchased from retail would actually show up in the MC/Famitsu sales figures - after all, they're still a gaming product purchased from a store they monitor. If that's the case, an important follow-on question is whether the 5% and 20% are the number of *downloads* - i.e. retail cards + eshop purchases - or just the eshop purchases.

In other words, I think we may be in danger of counting one specific category of purchase - retail cards which are then downloaded - twice.

Road

Does it mean each title sold xx% more than MC/Famitsu reported or are they already included?

Famitsu includes the cards sold at retail, not downloadable copies purchased directly with Nintendo.

No info about MC or Dengeki (we're guessing not).

Dystify

Actually, I'm pretty sure Chris posted before that the cards are counted as normal sale, which means they're part of the reports. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Famitsu includes the cards sold at retail, not downloadable copies purchased directly with Nintendo.

No info about MC or Dengeki (we're guessing not).

id guess it does include them, otherwise we'd be seeing a much bigger discrepency between the trackers especially on oni training

test_account

XP-39C²
We can at least calculate the "minimum" amount of digital sales, though I believe that Iwata's numbers would simply be pulled from doing "how many DLs of NSMB2 have there been" which would include card sales and eshop sales.
My gut would suggest that cards purchased from retail would actually show up in the MC/Famitsu sales figures - after all, they're still a gaming product purchased from a store they monitor. If that's the case, an important follow-on question is whether the 5% and 20% are the number of *downloads* - i.e. retail cards + eshop purchases - or just the eshop purchases.

In other words, I think we may be in danger of counting one specific category of purchase - retail cards which are then downloaded - twice.
Actually, I'm pretty sure Chris posted before that the cards are counted as normal sale, which means they're part of the reports. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I also think that the cards are included. They are afterall scanned at the register like normal games are, so i dont see why they wouldnt include them. In that case, it wont be possible to calculate using the 5% and 20%, unfortunately. I suspect that if Nintendo give out numbers for digital download, they wont seperate the direct Eshop downloads and the retail cards.

Road

id guess it does include them, otherwise we'd be seeing a much bigger discrepency between the trackers especially on oni training

I don't think we can use the difference between trackers as any indication. They happen for many reasons.

Unless you think Famitsu is tracking digital copies of DQX and that's why they have it higher. =P

I'm guessing the retail cards are already included in the trackers and the 5%/20% refers to direct eShop downloads only. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is counting all digital sales just to pad out the numbers.

Nekki

Its obvious Mario will eventually outsell any Vita games in DD sales, just due to the amount of hardware sold alone. Even Demon training might be able to do it too.

Mario will sell over a long time and its safe to say DD sales in general will only get better and not worse. Its the perfect title to push the eShop and Nintendo's online efforts as a whole.

On this front, i don't see much of an effort to be honest. They just put up the option because, well, who hates options? And also because it basically costs nothing to them, and it's just another positive point in their resume. Speaking of which, the download code, if used this way, seems like a good use of the download scheme. It has the pro's of not having an expensive packaging and taking advantage of competitive retail pricings, but there's still the con of distribution taking money.

Other than that they pretty much give no incentive (save for the coins, lol) for digital distribution. The pricing is horrible, it should be lower, even if it wouldn't ever be lower than retail. I also wonder if these titles will ever be part of a sale, like the e-shop only titles. I guess only time will tell.

They also should offer more demos for other games, but they seem to be drifting better on that front. I guess that's not a discussion for this thread, though.

5% Mario downloads would (very) roughly mean 35k downloads, which is quite poor compared to the already big sold numbers. Considering this, though, the effective download numbers are surely much higher than 35k if we include download codes (but we don't have numbers on that, sadly).

terrisus

I also think that the cards are included. They are afterall scanned at the register like normal games are, so i dont see why they wouldnt include them.

I would assume they're a different SKU from the physical game though? Or would the tracker just automatically add them together?

extralite

sorry but for all your wants nintendo will not price digital cheaper than RRP they would piss off too many retailers doing that, as for prices on download cards well obviously its up to retailers to set them

Why not, Sony does it too? I mean at least a little lower, it's totally ridiculous especially since as urfe already said retail games are sold for less than the suggested price nearly everywhere which makes the DD versions actually more expensive than the retail ones.

Nintendo started to do 20% off weeks for certain digital games (with one already over and the next to follow who knows when), hopefully the DD versions of retail games will be part of these bargains in the future.

disco

If the 5% is true I can understand Nintendo's reluctance towards digital distribution. It just simply isn't viable and those of you ragging on about it here at GAF are just the vocal minority.

Sure - it's not that appealing since it's the same price as retail but does Nintendo really want to make enemies at retail? Soft transition and all etc.

--

Nintendo dislike used sales so they combat that with digital distribution. The retailers themselves pretty much survive on used sales. What Nintendo has done with download cards and keeping the prices the same mediates between both parties.

extralite

Nintendo dislike used sales so they combat that with digital distribution.

That'd be true of every other publisher but Nintendo. Nintendo combats used game sales by making games people don't sell. That's why they are the least affected by used sales and that for over a decade now.

Taker666

If the 5% is true I can understand Nintendo's reluctance towards digital distribution. It just simply isn't viable and those of you ragging on about it here at GAF are just the vocal minority.

Sure - it's not that appealing since it's the same price as retail but does Nintendo really want to make enemies at retail? Soft transition and all etc.

--

Nintendo dislike used sales so they combat that with digital distribution. The retailers themselves pretty much survive on used sales. What Nintendo has done with download cards and keeping the prices the same mediates between both parties.

Considering the prices for digital download are higher than the prices of the packaged software...why on earth would people go digital?
I can get New Super Mario Bros 2 in the UK for as little as £23.44 on a cart that I can resell..or pay £39.99 for the download version which I can't resell.

test_account

XP-39C²
I would assume they're a different SKU from the physical game though? Or would the tracker just automatically add them together?
Yep, they're added together. We never (or maybe some very few expections?) get seperate listsings in the charts for standard and collector's edition for example.

Top Bottom