• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Week 11, 2023 (Mar 06 - Mar 12)

Famitsu Sales: Week 11, 2023 (Mar 06 - Mar 12)

SOFTWARE

01./01. [NSW] Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.02.24} (¥5.980) - 32.132 / 283.744 (-49%)
02./03. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2022.11.18} (¥5.980) - 20.889 / 4.929.287 (-15%)
03./06. [NSW] Splatoon 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.09.09} (¥5.980) - 15.861 / 3.934.627 (+7%)
04./00. [NSW] Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse # <ADV> (Koei Tecmo) {2023.03.09} (¥5.800) - 10.712 / NEW
05./09. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 10.430 / 5.194.090 (+1%)
06./00. [NSW] Ib # <ADV> (Playism) {2023.03.09} (¥3.618) - 9.080 / NEW
07./00. [PS4] Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse <ADV> (Koei Tecmo) {2023.03.09} (¥5.800) - 9.031 / NEW
08./08. [PS5] Hogwarts Legacy # <RPG> (WB Games) {2023.02.10} (¥8.980) - 9.017 / 148.552 (-33%)
09./02. [PS5] Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2023.03.03} (¥7.800) - 8.411 / 38.543 (-72%)
10./07. [NSW] Octopath Traveler II <RPG> (Square Enix) {2023.02.24} (¥7.091) - 7.739 / 75.819 (-45%)

Top 10

NSW - 7
PS5 - 2
PS4 - 1

HARDWARE

CQvDaZw.jpg

Nautilus

Banned
As expected, PS5 is yet again down week over week. It did about 20% less than last week(About 78k), and it's about 30% down when compared to its best weeks this year(About 90k).

As I said before, this is most likely happening because the pent up demand caused by the shortages and Sony not sending emough stock to Japan is slowly being satisfied. So the next months will be vital to see what the real demand for the PS5 actually is.

There should be a few bumps for the PS5 caused by antecipated releases, like RE 4 Remake(24th March) and FF XVI, but I dob't see them managing to maintain the hardware numbers this high for more than 1 or 2 weeks. But like I said, we will see.

For the rest, the Switch is finally showing its age(It already is the third best selling console of all time in Japan, and it should become number one in due time), and its baseline shouldn't go higher than that. A personal highlight for me is how well Octopath 2 is holding on. Hopefully its legs are even stronger than the first game.

Last edited:

Woopah

Will be really interesting to see if RE4 helps PS5 overtake Switch for the year in a couple of weeks, and if so how long that lasts

Both of them have several heavy hitters scheduled for Spring, Summer and Autumn/Winter. Hopefully there will be more announced as well.

Overall 2023 looking very healthy for the Japanese Market.

zedinen

Famitsu: PS5 YTD
2023 744,592 (week 11 64,869)
2022 221,740 (week 11 16,286)

Famitsu: LTD, Week 122
PS5 3,121,981 (week 122 64,869)
PS3 2,938,104 (week 122 40,380 / Resident Evil 5 launch)
PS4 2,826,107 (week 122 18,997)

Famitsu: YTD
PS5 2023 744,592 (week 11 64,869)
PS2 2005 718,492 (week 11 36,284)

PS2 sold 2,076,699 in 2005

Amazon Japan
#1 PS5 (sold out)

#4 Resident Evil 4 (PS5)
#5 Resident Evil 4 (PS4)
#11 Hogwarts Legacy (PS5)
#13 PS5 Digital Edition (sold out)
#14 Resident Evil 4 Deluxe (PS5)
#17 PS Store Gift Card¥1,100
#21 FinaL Fantasy XVI (PS5)
#23 Death Stranding Director's Cut (PS5)
#31 DualSense Edge (sold out)
#35 Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut (PS5) (sold out)

#38 Resident Evil 4 Deluxe (PS4)
#39 DualShock4 Glacier White
#42 PS Store Gift Card ¥3,000

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
As expected, PS5 is yet again down week over week. It did about 20% less than last week(About 78k), and it's about 30% down when compared to its best weeks this year(About 90k).

As I said before, this is most likely happening because the pent up demand caused by the shortages and Sony not sending emough stock to Japan is slowly being satisfied. So the next months will be vital to see what the real demand for the PS5 actually is.

There should be a few bumps for the PS5 caused by antecipated releases, like RE 4 Remake(24th March) and FF XVI, but I dob't see them managing to maintain the hardware numbers this high for more than 1 or 2 weeks. But like I said, we will see.

For the rest, the Switch is finally showing its age(It already is the third best selling console of all time in Japan, and it should become number one in due time), and its baseline shouldn't go higher than that. A personal highlight for me is how well Octopath 2 is holding on. Hopefully its legs are even stronger than the first game.
Oh, now I see what your claim is....if the PS5 doesnt do 90k, demand isnt there.

lol. You say this like you have numbers about how much they actually sent. I see now, it can give you a convenient out when it doesn't hit some arbitrary number.

I have a question....what would you say the amount for Series consoles have to be to see where demand is?

As expected, Switch is yet again down week over week. It did about 10% less than last week.
Exactly. Funny how both analysis are worded differently.

Last edited:

Oof85

Oh, now I see what your claim is....if the PS5 doesnt do 90k, demand isnt there.

lol. You say this like you have numbers about how much they actually sent. I see now, it can give you a convenient out when it doesn't hit some arbitrary number.

I have a question....what would you say the amount for Series consoles have to be to see where demand is?

I'm not sure where the gotcha is.

Nobody expected PS5 to maintain 90k weekly sales forever, did they?
Eventually there was bound to be a lower baseline for the actual demand of the market.

And Switch is down from last week, but comparatively PS5 is down significantly more.
But that's not really important beyond anything besides console warring.

The real question is where will the PS5 baseline settle at?

That will tell us if it will outdo the ps4's performance or continue the Playstation decline in the domestic market.

Nautilus

Banned

No... Demand is there, it just doesn't seem that it is that high. The PS5 did as well as it did these past few months *probably* because of pent up demand - That means that due to Sont prioritizing other countries, and thus sending little stock to Japan, the number of people wanting to buy a PS5 grew and so that pressure accumulated. Once Sony fixed their supply problems earlier this year and started sending a healthy ammount of supply to Japan, that built up "pressure" started to release, and what we are seeing now is probably that same "pressure" diminishing and reaching the same pressure as the current "atmosphere pressure" there is for PS5 in Japan.

And I doubt that these lower numbers are due to supply problems, because PS5 has been pretty well supplied worldwide and outside of a store or two, there have been no reports of shortages anywhere. And two, that Sony intends to sell more than 30 million units until the end of this fiscal year(almost doubling the sales worldwide), indicating that they don't think that they will face similar problems that they had previously.

And what does Xbox has to do with anything? Xbox sales on Japan have been shit ever since the original console. That's not changing now, not without compeling software that caters to the japanese market.

Nautilus

Banned
I'm not sure where the gotcha is.

Nobody expected PS5 to maintain 90k weekly sales forever, did they?
Eventually there was bound to be a lower baseline for the actual demand of the market.

And Switch is down from last week, but comparatively PS5 is down significantly more.
But that's not really important beyond anything besides console warring.

The real question is where will the PS5 baseline settle at?

That will tell us if it will outdo the ps4's performance or continue the Playstation decline in the domestic market.
This.Why is it so hard to understand?

Your weekly thesis on how demand isn't quite that much for the PS5 is rather obvious by now, specially with no knowledge on how many units Sony is sending to japan is useless. Here's a fact: The PS5 is actually sold out on Amazon in Japan as someone else said, which wasn't the case since many weeks ago. It's probably going to decrease even more next week. Means very little without context. But this isn't a sign of demand decreasing. It's a sign of not a lot of units available.
And you said you don't see the PS5 maintaining "the hardware numbers this high for more than 1 or 2 weeks. "?

They are #1 for like 7 weeks in a row. They surpassed 90k for 2 or 3 weeks in a row as well a while ago. It's not like they have only been selling great for a couple weeks at this point...

Last edited:

Orbital2060

PS sw following usual trend of dropping outside of launch week for the biggest games. Maybe lower than YTD last year.

3 million consoles supposedly sold into Japan, and 8-9k units sold at retail.

Oof85

Your weekly thesis on how demand isn't quite that much for the PS5 is rather obvious by now, specially with no knowledge on how many units Sony is sending to japan is useless. Here's a fact: The PS5 is actually sold out on Amazon in Japan as someone else said, which wasn't the case since many weeks ago. It's probably going to decrease even more next week. Means very little without context. But this isn't a sign of demand decreasing. It's a sign of not a lot of units available.
And you said you don't see the PS5 maintaining "the hardware numbers this high for more than 1 or 2 weeks. "?

They are #1 for like 7 weeks in a row. They surpassed 90k for 2 or 3 weeks in a row as well a while ago. It's not like they have only been selling great for a couple weeks at this point...
Yes but everything you've outlined doesn't really refute the gist of what he said.

There's maybe like two consoles that ever had insane weekly sales as the norm in Japan, even out of all the successful platforms that country has seen.

DS and Wii. And Wii burned brightly but also relatively briefly.

DS though? Insanity.

PS3 didn't do that.
PS4 didn't do that.
Wiiu didn't do that.
Hell, even NSW didn't do that.

Once the notable software is out(Re4Re, SF6, FF16) we'll see just how much the market wants it.

But anyone expecting the 90k weeks as the norm were delusional.

Nautilus

Banned

Everything you just said to me could also be applied to you. How do you know it's just because a lot of units are unavailable? Amazon is just one retailer, and there are probably bigger retailers out there(Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this one). How do you know, then, that's it's not just pent up demand?

That's why all I said its a thesis.My post is filled with probably, and maybes. Based on educated guesses and data, but still a thesis.But the good news is that every week we get new data, and so we should know whose thesis is correct sooner rather than later.

The last part refer to bumps caused by big releases, such as RE 4 Remake and FF XVI. I don't expect those inevitable bumps in hardware in sales to last more than 1 or 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Fanboys don't understand logic and think it's an attack on them.
Yeah. Everything negative, even the ones based in logic, are seen as an affront or "trolling", as the mod who banned me from the previous thread described. Some people lose their minds when it comes down to their favorite company.

Yeah, yeah. PlayStation is doomed. We all know your shtick by now.

Yeah. Everything negative, even the ones based in logic, are seen as an affront or "trolling", as the mod who banned me from the previous thread described. Some people lose their minds when it comes down to their favorite company.
You troll to attempt to turn any positive PlayStation news/data as somehow negative. Then when you get bites, you play the "fanboys" card.

But, by all means, keep calling out mods directly, while still doing exactly what got you banned in the first place. Seems like a brilliant idea.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Fatal Frame only selling 1.7K more on Switch than PS4 with an install base of 20M more? Poor software sales, damn.

Nautilus

Banned
You troll to attempt to turn any positive PlayStation news/data as somehow negative. Then when you get bites, you play the "fanboys" card.

But, by all means, keep calling out mods directly. Seems like a brilliant idea.
Sure, because being critical about something, with clear data and proof behind it, is now a bad thing.

I promise you, if next weeks numbers are better than this week, I'll highlight it in my post(of next week's thread).

Last edited:
Not trying to go offtopic...but why were you banned from the previous topic in the first place? Maybe that should've been a hint?
Also, calling out mods like that is a bit odd.

jm89

Anyone know why software doesn't sell on ps5? I mean, Japan is not all that into digital...I don't get it.
How can we come to that conclusion?

We don't even get any digital numbers for ps5. We can't use switch as a measurement as it's high physical ratio is normal and that can't be used for the ps5.

I'm not saying digital numbers are gonna be really high, but they make a huge difference in alot of regions.

Last edited:
Will be really interesting to see if RE4 helps PS5 overtake Switch for the year in a couple of weeks, and if so how long that lasts

Both of them have several heavy hitters scheduled for Spring, Summer and Autumn/Winter. Hopefully there will be more announced as well.

Overall 2023 looking very healthy for the Japanese Market.
Switch has LOZ: TOTK and Pikmin 4 in May and July but what else for the Switch will be big in Japan?

leo-j

The issue with ps5 is stock related….. the console is mostly sold out this week….. until it is readily available u won’t see it’s actual demand level, it’s selling bonkers in Europe and the US right now because it’s somewhat readily available….. outsold the switch by more than 2:1 last month in Europe…… it’s almost there stock wise.

Reactions: TLZ

Nautilus

Banned
The issue with ps5 is stock related….. the console is mostly sold out this week….. until it is readily available u won’t see it’s actual demand level, it’s selling bonkers in Europe and the US right now because it’s somewhat readily available….. outsold the switch by more than 2:1 last month in Europe…… it’s almost there stock wise.
How did you come to the conclusion that it's stock related? It's sold oit on amazon, which is not only just one retailer, but it's probably also not the largest one.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How can we come to that conclusion?

We don't even get any digital numbers for ps5. We can't use switch as a measurement as it's high physical ratio is normal and that can't be used for the ps5.

I'm not saying digital numbers are gonna be really high, but they make a huge difference in alot of regions.

Why would you buy a digital PS5 then? I don't quite get it but it might make sense.

Woopah

Switch has LOZ: TOTK and Pikmin 4 in May and July but what else for the Switch will be big in Japan?
The way I see it we'll have as the biggest hitters:

Season
PlayStation
Switch
SpringResident Evil 4 RemakeThe Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
SummerFinal Fantasy XVIPikmin 4
Fall/Winter (probably)Spiderman 2Momotaro Denetsu World

And then other potential soruces of success are:
  • One of the Level 5 games (DecaPolice or Fantasy Life i) could blow up. Fantasy Life did 380,000 physical on the 3DS
  • Elden Ring really grew FromSoftware's profile, so Armoured Core 6 could be big
  • We know Dragon Quest Dai is coming in 2023, but I think there's a good chance that Dragon Quest III HD 2D makes it this year too
  • GranBlue Fantasy: Relink is looking good, could be PlayStation's next Elden Ring / Hogwarts
  • Nintnedo has 0 games dates after July (and only Prime 4 announced for after July). Their bound to have unannounced games for 2023, and a Rhythm Heaven, Donkey Kong or Tomodachi could do very well

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Why would Sony distribute hardware for all others but not Amazon? Makes no sense?
Maybe because Amazon bought little stock? Because selling PS5 was more popular over there, but japanese is not shy of buying elsewhere if their favorite retailer doesn't have stock?

There are plenty of reasons why. Its really common one retailer run out of stock and other don't, especially because no one wants to have a stock that takes months to sell, and instead have something that they can restock every other week.

Woopah

I think we can all agree that PS5 hardware is going to sell very well this year, but its baseline is going to be closer to 50,000 than 90,000. Not that it needs to be 90,000 to still be great sales.

jm89

I think we can all agree that PS5 hardware is going to sell very well this year, but its baseline is going to be closer to 50,000 than 90,000. Not that it needs to be 90,000 to still be great sales.
I always thought it was gonna be 50k the last few weeks, 90k+ weekly was a surprise.

Even though playstation have some big third party stuff like re4r,sf6 and ff16 coming out, 50k+ baseline seems pretty decent for outside that. Maybe spiderman 2 could gives a boost but no idea how well spiderman games do well in japan.

Last edited:
Top Bottom