• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Week 12, 2023 (Mar 13 - Mar 19)

Famitsu Sales: Week 12, 2023 (Mar 13 - Mar 19)

SOFTWARE

01./01. [NSW] Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.02.24} (¥5.980) - 25.201 / 308.945 (-22%)
02./02. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2022.11.18} (¥5.980) - 15.306 / 4.944.593 (-27%)
03./03. [NSW] Splatoon 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.09.09} (¥5.980) - 12.100 / 3.946.727 (-24%)
04./05. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 9.245 / 5.203.335 (-11%)
05./00. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 6.672 / 3.074.692
06./00. [NSW] Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.03.17} (¥5.980) - 6.474 / NEW
07./08. [PS5] Hogwarts Legacy # <RPG> (WB Games) {2023.02.10} (¥8.980) - 5.622 / 154.174 (-38%)
08./00. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2022.04.29} (¥4.980) - 5.507 / 1.030.666
09./10. [NSW] Octopath Traveler II <RPG> (Square Enix) {2023.02.24} (¥7.091) - 4.707 / 80.526 (-39%)
10./00. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) - 4.289 / 5.145.376

Top 10

NSW - 9
PS5 - 1

HARDWARE

t0FCue4.jpg

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Holy shit, even I didn't expect a drop this big for this week.

PS5 is down for the third consecutive week, and is down 40% compared to the previous week, and down 55% compared to it's peak this year(around 90k).

This is further evidence that the pent up demand is being met, and we are getting closer to the real demand. This also shows that whoever thought that 90k was the baseline was just delusional.

The PS5 should, however, get a boost in sales next week due to the launch of RE 4 Remake. If it doesn't well, then the PS5 is in more trouble than I thought.

The Switch is also down, which is a bit dissapointing, but it is in it's 7th year, so saturation is hitting it heavy. So understandable.

I'm really happy to see that OT 2 is still hanging in there. Hopefully the legs make up for the weaker launch.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned
Nintendo ends Sony streak but maybe RE4 should boost PlayStation this week although PS5 is currently sold out at Amazon.

Sanepar

PS5 is down for the third consecutive week, and is down 40% compared to the previous week, and down 55% compared to it's peak this year(around 90k).

This is further evidence that the pent up demand is being met, and we are getting closer to the real demand. This also shows that whoever thought that 90k was the baseline was just delusional.

The PS5 should, however, get a boost in sales next week due to the launch of RE 4 Remake. If it doesn't well, then the PS5 is in more trouble than I thought.

The Switch is also down, which is a bit dissapointing, but it is in it's 7th year, so saturation is hitting it heavy. So understandable.

I'm really happy to see that OT 2 is still hanging in there. Hopefully the legs make up for the weaker launch.
Ps5 in trouble selling more than ps4 and ps3 aligned?

Ronin_7

Banned
Oh yeah, just noticed this now: The PS5 drop is getting bigger with each week, isn't it?Hope Sony does something soon, otherwise the PS5's situation in Japan will become critical again soon enough.
There's nothing to be done for now, we'll need to see the baseline in the new few months.

PS5S at default 399 should show how big is demand WW for PlayStation 5. That will be the sweet spot for Mass market.

PS5 DE is still almost impossible to get in EUROPE.

Nautilus

Banned
There's nothing to be done for now, we'll need to see the baseline in the new few months.

PS5S at default 399 should show how big is demand WW for PlayStation 5. That will be the sweet spot for Mass market.

PS5 DE is still almost impossible to get in EUROPE.
Oh, PS5 is killing worldwide, for sure.

But this thread is about the japanese market, and my worries are directed towards it.

Ronin_7

Banned

But this thread is about the japanese market, and my worries are directed towards it.
Selling 40K weekly would be very healthy & sum up to 1.6M systems from next week until years end.

it'll be fine, it just isn't North America type Numbers where PlayStation 5 will probably sell the LT sales of Japan in November & December alone.

Oh yeah, just noticed this now: The PS5 drop is getting bigger with each week, isn't it?Hope Sony does something soon, otherwise the PS5's situation in Japan will become critical again soon enough.

It seems that PS5 is readily available everywhere else though, according to installbase.

For now. Not that I wish it does sell worse anyways.

Breathe dude!

This was expected. PS5 wasn't available in some online retailers last week. Not sure how it is right now. With RE4 releasing soon that is changing as well.

Nautilus

Banned
Selling 40K weekly would be very healthy & sum up to 1.6M systems from next week until years end.

it'll be fine, it just isn't North America type Numbers where PlayStation 5 will probably sell the LT sales of Japan in November & December alone.
If 40k ends up being the baseline, which everything points to not being it.

Again, PS5 worldwide is doing great, but this is about the japanese market, and losing the japanese market completely means losing(at the very least exclusively) the support of small to mid japanese devs, which is a significant blow.

Nautilus

Banned
Breathe dude!

This was expected. PS5 wasn't available in some online retailers last week. Not sure how it is right now. With RE4 releasing soon that is changing as well.
Oh, now selling 40k is expected, but not the weeks prior lol.

Talk about moving goalposts.

But yeah, next week the PS5 should get a boost from RE 4 Remake. Let's see how much the PS5 benefits from that game.

Woopah

Switch is staying just ahead of PS5 YTD, and Kirby crosses 300,000. We'll have a new number 1 next week with RE4, the platform split for that will be interesting to see.

Hogwarts is this year's Elden Ring, though the time it's the PS5 version doing much better.

Fantastic to see OT2 having some legs, hopefully both PS versions are in the top 30.

MrA

Banned
Breathe dude!

If 40k is the systems new baseline that's totally fine 40k is healthy in Japan, if its drops to 20k or less then it has a problem, also remember the pent up demand from the anemic first 2 years is burning off so it had to drop, ps5 isn't going to 90k in the doldrums again unless it has a massive release

Ronin_7

Banned
If 40k ends up being the baseline, which everything points to not being it.

Again, PS5 worldwide is doing great, but this is about the japanese market, and losing the japanese market completely means losing(at the very least exclusively) the support of small to mid japanese devs, which is a significant blow.
This is highly unlikely since those games sell well WW on PlayStation.

This smells like concern trolling.

Nautilus

Banned

Oh for gods sake, everything smells of concern trolling for you guys that are fanatic for Sony, everytime someone is a smidge critical of it.

A lot of these games are Japan centric(in the sense that, a lot of their sales comes from Japan, so Worldwide isn't as important)Falcom said, awhile now, that its going to go multiplatform because its PS sales have been dissapointing for reasons outside their control, Compile Heart(Neptunia devs) just announced their next game comming day and date to the Switch too(a notorious dev for making games only for PS). Nippon Ichi, etc.

nial

Gold Member
and losing the japanese market completely means losing(at the very least exclusively) the support of small to mid japanese devs, which is a significant blow
When the baseline is 10K, you can start to worry about it. The PS3 and PS4 baselines were even lower than that, but it didn't stop them from getting all kinds of Japanese support. YTD is higher than Switch 2018 right now, even without some very compelling software aside from Hogwarts Legacy.

Nautilus

Banned
When the baseline is 10K, you can start to worry about it. The PS3 and PS4 baselines were even lower than that, but it didn't stop them from getting all kinds of Japanese support. YTD is higher than Switch 2018 right now, even without some very compelling software aside from Hogwarts Legacy.
Because the PS3 and PS4 software was somewhat healthy yet. That's not the case for the PS5, as it has abysmal software and hardware sales.

That's not recent, mind you. That migration started happening at the end of the PS4 lifetime, when Sony's overall situation was too deteriorated in Japan, and the Switch became too big to ignore.

Mowcno

This is the currently the best year since 2005 for a PlayStation Home Console.

The PS5 is tracking ahead of the PS3 and PS4 launch aligned according to Famitsu figures.

This week is still double the sales of the equivalent week for PS3/PS4.

Meanwhile we still have posts about doom for PlayStation in the Japanese Market. Wonderful stuff.

nial

Gold Member
That's not the case for the PS5, as it has abysmal software and hardware sales.
For software you could have a point, but for hardware? How so? Also, no, PS3 software wasn't really healthy in its first three years.
That's not recent, mind you. That migration started happening at the end of the PS4 lifetime, when Sony's overall situation was too deteriorated in Japan, and the Switch became too big to ignore.
Was it really a migration when they continued to support the PS4? They just went multiplatform because that's what made sense. Even many of them were already releasing for PC in the west.

Kerotan

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. PS5 YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE, YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BRING BALANCE TO THESE THREADS, NOT DESTROY THEM.

Now we gotten listen to Naughtyilus concern trolling :(

Good ps5 sales still and I gotta hope ps5 would actually sell more if it had more stock but this probably ain't true. At least anybody who wanted a ps5 for resident evil or ff16 will probably have one now.

And the last few weeks have propelled the ps5 to the best selling PlayStation home console since the ps2. And it'll likely stay there for a while. Take that Nautilus!!

Mowcno

Do you have the PS2 YTD data for week 12 of 2006? Because I could believe it, the console had a massive decline that year.

PS2 had sold 452k YTD for Week 12 2006. 806k for 2005 which is the most recent YTD figure for Week 12 that is above PS5's this year.

PS4's best was 2018, it sold 687k by Week 12 in that year.
PS3's best was 2010, it sold 410k by Week 12 in that year.
PS2's best was 2002, it sold 1180k by Week 12 in that year.

nial

Gold Member
PS2 had sold 452k YTD for Week 12 2006. 806k for 2005
Dear lord, it completely allings with the rise of handhelds in those years.
Also, where do you get this data from? I really can't seem to find anything before mid 2004.

Last edited:

EN250

Hmm, PS5 keeps dropping, so is the *Henry something guy, right? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

*(sorry dude, can't remember your name)

I know his logic is flawed, like he kept insisting that PS5 was going down in flames because it was unable to keep selling upwards every week, but now, it's selling less every week, it's lack of demand, no units available or games to push sales?

Nautilus

Banned
For software you could have a point, but for hardware? How so? Also, no, PS3 software wasn't really healthy in its first three years.

Was it really a migration when they continued to support the PS4? They just went multiplatform because that's what made sense. Even many of them were already releasing for PC in the west.
Because the hardware sales will continue to descend. That's why I'm saying that it's bad. Plus, comparing it to the PS3 and PS4 is not the best benchmark to compare, just saying.

It made sense for them to go multiplatform years before they did. They did it now because they had no choice, as remaining exclusive on PS was unsustainable, while most games(even the ones exclusives on Switch) are having healthy sales.

Mowcno

Also, where do you get this data from? I really can't seem to find anything before mid 2004.
Older Famitsu threads had a link to a database that has complete data up to 2016.

nial

Gold Member
Plus, comparing it to the PS3 and PS4 is not the best benchmark to compare, just saying.
Both above the PC Engine which is considered to be a big success in Japan.
It made sense for them to go multiplatform years before they
When it comes to console games, to what? Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, GameCube, Wii U, and every Xbox flopped in Japan. Before that, you had the Saturn, which was very heavily supported there, and then there was the Wii, which had some pretty decent Japanese third-party software.

Nautilus

Banned
Both above the PC Engine which is considered to be a big success in Japan.

When it comes to console games, to what? Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, GameCube, Wii U, and every Xbox flopped in Japan. Before that, you had the Saturn, which was very heavily supported there, and then there was the Wii, which had some pretty decent Japanese third-party software.
The Switch was a success from pretty much day 1. That's what I'm referring by years later.(Since it has been 6 years already fron the release of the Switch).

Xbox series s making dead console numbers with only 58 units and adding series X sells half that of PS4 but the problem is PS5 selling 40000 consoles xDDDDDDDDDDDDDD seriously, never change.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

nial

Gold Member
The Switch was a success from pretty much day 1.
Probably third-party devs having the idea that it wouldn't keep selling? Even then, some like Nippon Ichi Software were already on board from day one, and by 2019 the console was being very supported there.

Last edited:

Woopah

It's healthy, it's just that Sony gave up trying to make an appealing product for it.

But Nintendo is doing the work for everyone by themselves.
I don't think it's fair to say that Sony gave up. It's more that Sony's success in Japan was reliant on third parties, and those third parties aren't as powerful as they once were.

We're already seeing / have seen those smaller titles go multiplarform, but that has as much to do with the Switch software situation as the PlayStation software situation.
Why are they only into cartoony looking shit?
Hogwarts, Octopath and Bayonetta aren't cartoony
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. PS5 YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE, YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BRING BALANCE TO THESE THREADS, NOT DESTROY THEM.

Now we gotten listen to Naughtyilus concern trolling :(

Good ps5 sales still and I gotta hope ps5 would actually sell more if it had more stock but this probably ain't true. At least anybody who wanted a ps5 for resident evil or ff16 will probably have one now.

And the last few weeks have propelled the ps5 to the best selling PlayStation home console since the ps2. And it'll likely stay there for a while. Take that Nautilus!!
Don't worry, in 15 years time PS6 will sense the good in PS5 and turn it back to the light.
The PS2 was declining because of its age, nothing to do with a "rise of handhelds"
Hmm, PS5 keeps dropping, so is the *Henry something guy, right? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

*(sorry dude, can't remember your name)

I know his logic is flawed, like he kept insisting that PS5 was going down in flames because it was unable to keep selling upwards every week, but now, it's selling less every week, it's lack of demand, no units available or games to push sales?
The end of supply constraints led to a surge in hardware (helped by Hogwarts) and now PS5 is settling back to its natural baseline.

Nautilus

Banned
I don't think it's fair to say that Sony gave up. It's more that Sony's success in Japan was reliant on third parties, and those third parties aren't as powerful as they once were.
Maybe not for the PS3 and PS4, but they clearly threw the towel with the PS5.

They changed a 25 years old button layout that the japanese were accostumed for no good reason, they closed almost all japanese leaning studios they had(instead of building one from scratch that had talent in it and made genres that are popular in it, instead of the weird experimental stuff like The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush. Never understood why Sony didn't hire the talent to make their own pedigree JRPG), they proposely sent little stock to Japan to favor the west(This one was a good decision, if only because of decades of not looking into how to improve their situation there), and many more.

Third party in general is selling better than ever worldwide, so it should do better in Japan too. The problem is them skipping the most popular system in Japan, which obviously reflects the sales.

Woopah

right, I was just implying how both circumstances overlapped
The jump to HD with the PS3 was the big driver for handhelds. Development costs for third parties skyrocketed and the DS / PSP offered a much cheaper alternative.
Octopath is cartoony AF u blind
Guessing this was supposed to be a reply to me? When I think cartoony artstyle I think Mario or Kirby, Octopath looks nothing like that. It's a an evolution of the artstyle used in SNES RPGs.
Maybe not for the PS3 and PS4, but they clearly threw the towel with the PS5.

They changed a 25 years old button layout that the japanese were accostumed for no good reason, they closed almost all japanese leaning studios they had(instead of building one from scratch that had talent in it and made genres that are popular in it, instead of the weird experimental stuff like The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush. Never understood why Sony didn't hire the talent to make their own pedigree JRPG), they proposely sent little stock to Japan to favor the west(This one was a good decision, if only because of decades of not looking into how to improve their situation there), and many more.

Third party in general is selling better than ever worldwide, so it should do better in Japan too. The problem is them skipping the most popular system in Japan, which obviously reflects the sales.
I don't think the button layout change or loss of Japan Studio has had any significant impact on PS5 hardware sales.

Skipping Switch has hurt third parties, but even being on Switch wouldn't / doesn't make franchises like Final Fantasy and Dynasty Warriors as strong as they were on PS1 / PS2.

Top Bottom