• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Week 13, 2023 (Mar 20 - Mar 26)

Famitsu Sales: Week 13, 2023 (Mar 20 - Mar 26)

SOFTWARE

01./00. [PS5] Resident Evil 4 # <ADV> (Capcom) {2023.03.24} (¥7.990) - 89.662 / NEW
02./00. [PS4] Resident Evil 4 # <ADV> (Capcom) {2023.03.24} (¥7.990) - 85.371 / NEW
03./00. [NSW] Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End & the Secret Key # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2023.03.23} (¥7.800) - 31.140 / NEW
04./01. [NSW] Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.02.24} (¥5.980) - 27.198 / 336.143 (+8%)
05./00. [PS4] Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End & the Secret Key # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2023.03.23} (¥7.800) - 17.240 / NEW
06./02. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2022.11.18} (¥5.980) - 15.044 / 4.959.637 (-2%)
07./00. [PS5] Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End & the Secret Key # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2023.03.23} (¥7.800) - 14.787 / NEW
08./03. [NSW] Splatoon 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.09.09} (¥5.980) - 12.146 / 3.958.873 (+0%)
09./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 10.781 / 5.214.116 (+17%)
10./05. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 8.317 / 3.083.009 (+25%)

Top 10

NSW - 6
PS4 - 2
PS5 - 2

HARDWARE

2w9DbQD.jpg

zedinen

Famitsu: PlayStation Seals Its Best Quarter in Japan since 2004

PlayStation Home Consoles (Jan – Mar)

#1 PS2 (2002) 1,421,808
#2 PS2 (2004) 1,187,508
#3 PS2 (2000) 1,182,409
#4 PS2 (2003) 1,136,465
#5 PS2 (2001) 844,579
#6 PS5 (2023) 823,967
#7 PS2 (2005) 815,875
#8 PS4 (2018) 687,365
#9 PS3 (2010) 597,745
#10 PS4 (2017) 586,601

Famitsu: PS5, Week 13
2023 YTD 823,967
2022 YTD 274,182

Famitsu: LTD, Week 124
PS5 3,201,356 (Week 38,964)
PS3 2,990,564 (Week 24,282)
PS4 2,872,339 (Week 24,757)

Nautilus

Banned
You constant copy/paste concern trolling in sales threads has not gone unnoticed.
Holy fuck, PS5 is DOWN week over week after the release of arguably one of the biggest releases of the year? And with zero indications of stock issues?

What more proof anyone wants that PS5 is basically on freefall in Japan right now?

Scratch my previous prediction that the PS5's baseline is around the 20k mark. What we are witnessing today is a strong indicative that the real baseline is probably around 10k.

Honestly, I don't even know what else Sony could realistically do in the short and mid term to salvage Playstation in Japan. The situation is that bad there.

Hell, even the PS4 version of RE 4 Remake, an old system by now, managed to sell as much as the PS5 version, the "hot" system at the moment. A system that should be at its peak of popularity. That just goes to show how horrible the PS5 hardware and software situation is. Pathetic, honestly.

Switch is doing about the same, no news there.

And Senpai OT 2 dissapeared from the charts. Noooo senpaiiiii!!!!!

Edit: Just noticed that even the PS4 hardware managed to be up week over week lol.

Last edited:

tkscz

Those are great launch numbers for RE4. I wonder if Tears of the Kingdom is the reason for the Switch bump.

Holy fuck, PS5 is DOWN week over week after the release of arguably one of the biggest releases of the year? And with zero indications of stock issues?

What more proof anyone wants that PS5 is basically on freefall in Japan right now?

Scratch my previous prediction that the PS5's baseline is around the 20k mark. What we are witnessing today is a strong indicative that the real baseline is probably around 10k.

Honestly, I don't even know what else Sony could realistically do in the short and mid term to salvage Playstation in Japan. The situation is that bad there.

Hell, even the PS4 version of RE 4 Remake, an old system by now, managed to sell as much as the PS5 version, the "hot" system at the moment. A system that should be at its peak of popularity. That just goes to show how horrible the PS5 hardware and software situation is. Pathetic, honestly.

You need to be trolling. Your posts week after week can’t be serious

Tazzu

Edit: Just noticed that even the PS4 hardware managed to be up week over week lol.
Go back to Installbase.

Washington Wizards Bruhh GIF by NBC Sports Washington

Nautilus

Banned
What do you guys think the digital split is for RE 4 Remake?

RE 4 Remake has the second worst physical debut ever since RE 7, but digital is bigger than ever since then, so that might offset the smaller physical debut.

Anyone has any idea or a good speculation on what the split may be?

Kerotan

PlayStation software absolutely dominating this week let's Go Baby!

Hardware while down is superb for a traditional home console in Japan. Sony single handedly saving this market.

Baki

#1 PS2 (2002) 1,421,808
#2 PS2 (2004) 1,187,508
#3 PS2 (2000) 1,182,409
#4 PS2 (2003) 1,136,465
#5 PS2 (2001) 844,579
#6 PS5 (2023) 823,967
#7 PS2 (2005) 815,875
#8 PS4 (2018) 687,365
#9 PS3 (2010) 597,745
#10 PS4 (2017) 586,601

2023 YTD 823,967
2022 YTD 274,182

What’s your YTD prediction for PS5 this year?

Nautilus

Banned
174,993 total physical for Resi 4 and let's say + 30% for digital = 227490

Would we say this is a fair guesstimate, or more for digital?
Probably more. I think it's closer to 50%. At least 40%. That's what the biggest Switch releases are doing.(Though the Switch has vouchers, so who knows)

Spitfire098

This crazy, this dude just wakes up Thursday morning and waits for this thread to be posted so he can pop off 🤣

Oof85

Breh, even I think you've got to turn it down a bit.

Yes, Sony is selling as well as a bag of doody set on fire in Japan but this doesn't require commentary week after week.

We know, they know and you know.

feynoob

Banned

Cool down old man.

KU_

This crazy, this dude just wakes up Thursday morning and waits for this thread to be posted so he can pop off 🤣
I’m convinced he’s MartyMcFly under a new account.

However I will say even I am a little surprised the PS5 dipped even with the release of RE4.

This indicates there are many Japanese users who haven't left the PS4 for software purchases, and that the theory hardware in many cases being sold outside of Japan has some merit.

Sony needs to get PS4 japanese domestic users to move to the PS5 to improve software sales.

Imagine if RE4 had the combined PS5 and PS4 sales on this chart only for the PS5.

Final Fantasy will be the first huge release that's PS5 only, but Sony needed more of those releasing. There's to many domestic Japanese software buyers on the PS4.

The good news is that Sony itself is starting to move away from cross gen so that will get some of those pS4 software buyers to move over. But it will need to be the third parties in the end that need to make the move to really maximize the software sales potential.

YukiOnna

Do we have any information on the general split between physical and digital in Japan?
I hope that WW sales for Octopath Traveler II are decent.

I want more Team Asano games.
How does Octopatch II compare to the first game domestic?

Labadal

Do we have any information on the general split between physical and digital in Japan?

Octopath 2 is currently at about 100k on PS5/Switch (physical). Octopath 1 sold about 110kish in its first week on Switch (physical).

Baki

They deserve a tag "Horny for Sony Doom"

#1 PS2 (2002) 1,421,808
#2 PS2 (2004) 1,187,508
#3 PS2 (2000) 1,182,409
#4 PS2 (2003) 1,136,465
#5 PS2 (2001) 844,579
#6 PS5 (2023) 823,967
#7 PS2 (2005) 815,875
#8 PS4 (2018) 687,365
#9 PS3 (2010) 597,745
#10 PS4 (2017) 586,601

2023 YTD 823,967
2022 YTD 274,182

1 more week left for March, PS5 has a chance of moving up to #5 best quarter for Sony.

This indicates there are many Japanese users who haven't left the PS4 for software purchases, and that the theory hardware in many cases being sold outside of Japan has some merit.

Sony needs to get PS4 japanese domestic users to move to the PS5 to improve software sales.

Imagine if RE4 had the combined PS5 and PS4 sales on this chart only for the PS5.

Final Fantasy will be the first huge release that's PS5 only, but Sony needed more of those releasing. There's to many domestic Japanese software buyers on the PS4.

The good news is that Sony itself is starting to move away from cross gen so that will get some of those pS4 software buyers to move over. But it will need to be the third parties in the end that need to make the move to really maximize the software sales potential.

Agreed but with Switch/PS development, most studios will likely create a PS4 version. Sony needs to get aggressive in publishing some JP 3rd party games. Perhaps their GAAS push might be the tactic that lets PS surpass the PS4 in Japan. I think more Genshin Impact or MH type GAAS games could be a good driver of PS hardware. I also think Sony needs to reduce the price back to the launch price soon.

Last edited:

Woopah

PS5 RE did better, but the gap was not as big as I thought it would be.

Out of all the Japanese third parties, Koei Tecmo has been one of the best at moving to multiplatform and building an audience on Switch. Others can learn from them.

Ps5 with a #1 game that almost sold 100k.
Nice!

Bodes well for FFXVI
How does it bode well? What do you expect FFXVI opening to be?
Those are great launch numbers for RE4. I wonder if Tears of the Kingdom is the reason for the Switch bump.
Switch numbers are just normal week to week changes. They are for last week and the TOTK vidoe didn't air until this week.
Did I say something that a normal person couldn't concluded off of the data on the OP?
Yes, absoloutely. Normal people wouldn't say "Holy fuck, PS5 is DOWN" or describe sales "pathetic, honestly"
What lolworthy about it?
I’m convinced he’s MartyMcFly under a new account.

However I will say even I am a little surprised the PS5 dipped even with the release of RE4.
I think you're onto something there

Agreed, FFXVI is the key driver for PS5 software this year. Spiderman will be bigish too but I'm not sure if we'll see any other major PS5 exlcusives in 2023. More will come in 2024 I'm sure

After 4 weeks

Octopath Switch: 164.235

Octopath II Switch: 80,526
Octopath II PS5: 21,188 (3 weeks of sales)
Octopath II PS4: 9,792 (2 weeks of sales)
Total: 111,506

Fake

ok? This week two cross gen games lauched and both the PS4 and PS5 verisons charted in the top 10. That was the expected.

You asked, I answer. PS4 tie with PS5 was my lol response.

And no, never expected a previous console to get the same sales scale as their sucessor.

Woopah

You asked, I answer. PS4 tie with PS5 was my lol response.

And no, never expected a previous console to get the same sales scale as their sucessor.
It happened a lot with PS3/PS4 due to cross gen releases. Now the same thing is happeing with PS4/PS5. Though the PS4/PS5 cross generation period will last longer.

Fake

It happened a lot with PS3/PS4 due to cross gen releases. Now the same thing is happeing with PS4/PS5. Though the PS4/PS5 cross generation period will last longer.

You forgot to mention that PS4 don't have BC with PS3, unlike PS5 have with PS4.

Thats why the transition between PS3/PS4 was more slow. Cross Gen on PS3/PS4 was far more constrain in comparison with PS5.

They deserve a tag "Horny for Sony Doom"

1 more week left for March, PS5 has a chance of moving up to #5 best quarter for Sony.

Agreed but with Switch/PS development, most studios will likely create a PS4 version. Sony needs to get aggressive in publishing some JP 3rd party games. Perhaps their GAAS push might be the tactic that lets PS surpass the PS4 in Japan. I think more Genshin Impact or MH type GAAS games could be a good driver of PS hardware. I also think Sony needs to reduce the price back to the launch price soon.

Gaas is only really working well In Japan on mobile, even Switch has mixed record.

PC and consoles hasn't produced the results needed as of yet.

Woopah

You forgot to mention that PS4 don't have BC with PS3, unlike PS5 have with PS4.

Thats why the transition between PS3/PS4 was more slow. Cross Gen on PS3/PS4 was far more constrain in comparison with PS5.
Yes thats also a factor. We'll need more PS5-exclusive games to push that ecosystem. FFXVI will be a good step forward.

Go_Ly_Dow

FFXVI, expecting 450-500k physical + digital (35% to play it safe) week 1. Probably will crawl to about 1mil in 1-2months with digital.

Expecting a mainline series lowpoint and lower than FFVII Remake, which I think sold about 1.3-1.4mil assuming a 35% digital purchase rate. It left the charts in around June 2020, 2 months after release at about 950k physical copies sold.

Reason for this being that even though it's clearly a Japanese game, the darker fantasy and mature themes (think it will have a Cero Z rating or whatever the highest is) will be of putting a few series fans. Also factoring in it's PS5 only and software sales on the console have been dire in Japan.

However, I'm sure it will give the PS5 nice hardware boost as FF always does.

I'll bring this post back up in the sales thread for it.

Last edited:

Oof85

FFXVI, expecting 450-500k physical + digital (35% to play it safe) week 1. Probably will crawl to about 1mil in 1-2months with digital.

Expecting a mainline series lowpoint and lower than FFVII Remake, which I think sold about 1.3-1.4mil assuming a 35% digital purchase rate.

Reason for this being that even though it's clearly a Japanese game, the darker fantasy and mature themes (think it will have a Cero Z rating or whatever the highest is) will be of putting a few series fans. Also factoring in it's PS5 only and software sales on the console have been dire in Japan.

However, I'm sure it will give the PS5 nice hardware boost as FF always does.

I'll bring this post back up in the sales thread for it.
Good luck.

I'm expecting 300k across both physical and digital personally.

It just feels like Japan isn't really there atm for the PS experience in terms of the next gen.

A PS4 sku would have me expecting more but just PS5?

Hope I'm wrong

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Good luck.

I'm expecting 300k across both physical and digital personally.

It just feels like Japan isn't really there atm for the PS experience in terms of the next gen.

A PS4 sku would have me expecting more but just PS5?

Hope I'm wrong
Yes, always possible it's as low as 300k too. Although I'd be very surpised as the core FF fanbase usually shows up.

PS5 install base should be about 3.5mil by the time it releases, so would need about 1 in 7 to purchase the game for my estimate to be right.

For comparison:

01. / 00. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 1.501.964 / NEW
PS3 LTD: 4.276.480

Roughly 1 in 3 PS3 owners purchased the game week 1.

01./00. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800) - 690.471 / NEW <64,63%>
PS4 LTD: 3.745.023

Roughly 1 in 5 PS4 owners purchased the game week 1.

Last edited:

John Wick

Like clockwork the clown never fails to troll.

Top Bottom