• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom: PS Vita has sold 2.2 Million Units Worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taurus

Google translate translation:

Sony: PS Vita sold 2.2 million Error & Marketing

Sony has admitted for the first time error in the marketing of the PlayStation Vita, as Sony PlayStation Germany boss Uwe Bassendowski expressed at gamescom.

Especially that you have surpassed the younger crowd ignored, an error was that one would now be reversed. According Bassendowski we will adjust the advertising for the PS Vita and new trim on the younger audience as well as a stronger presence in the appropriate media to be.

Furthermore confirmed Bassendowski that you could now sell 2.2 million units worldwide. More detailed figures for Germany it is not.
http://playfront.de/sony-22-millionen-verkaufte-ps-vita-fehler-beim-marketing/

Mock if old.

Jucksalbe's quick, more accurate translation:

Sony acknowledged mistakes in marketing the PlayStation Vita as said by Sony PlayStation Germany Chief Uwe Bassendowski at gamescom.

The most important mistake was to lose sight of the younger audience, a mistake they want to make right again. According to Bassendowski they want to change the direction of PS Vita marketing to focus on a younger audience and they want to improve their presence in corresponding media.

Furthermore Bassendowski confirmed that 2.2 million device have been sold worldwide. Specific numbers for Germany were not given.

DR2K

Banned
Yet they refuse to lower the price, but want to target an audience with less disposable income. Amazing.

shink

Many of the new ps3 releases should have a vita version. I'm looking at LBPK for instance.

Bit sad how the Vita had performed thus far.

Vitacat

I really wanted to buy a Vita, but I'm trying to be more sensible about my purchases these days. If/when I'm sure they will have games I truly want to play, that are different from what I can play on my tv, I will buy one. Maybe next year.

Also, those Vita memory card prices need to drop. A lot.

Yeah, Vita has definitely sold more than 400K worldwide since then. It's no secret that sales are abysmal, but something's off here.

The 1.8 million was shipped. Stores don't order more when its selling so badly. Meaning stores basically ordered no extra units outside of Japan.

Holy shit.

Two million? Two million? What a huge number. Like, a million is "big," so, what happens if you have two of them? I can't comprehend it.

Wow. Two million.

jvm

Gamasutra.
So basically, in very round numbers:

Japan: 850K
U.S.: 700K
EU: 700K

As I said in the last NPD thread, I have no idea what Sony does at this point. Waiting until they can make a graceful exit is simply too painful to contemplate. Trying to cut the price and competing at the level the market would accept (if it would accept it!) would hurt their bottom line tremendously. Simply killing it would be extremely embarrassing, and ironically would bring the system more notice from the wider public. Best solution I have is to retreat from all other regions except Japan, and keep it a system they nurture in their home territory. Let the hardcore import it if they want it.

Taurus

gonna request a second translation.
Is it seriously that bad? I can speak some german, and by that translation it's pretty self-explanatory what it is trying to tell us: marketing has failed especially for the younger crowd and this is something they will try to fix, no accurate numbers for German given. Only thing I don't understand is that if 2.2 million is shipped or sold?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Quick and dirty translation. The German text is pretty poorly written, too, so I can't fault Google Translate for its results.

Sony acknowledged mistakes in marketing the PlayStation Vita as said by Sony PlayStation Germany Chief Uwe Bassendowski at gamescom.

The most important mistake was to lose sight of the younger audience, a mistake they want to make right again. According to Bassendowski they want to change the direction of PS Vita marketing to focus on a younger audience and they want to improve their presence in corresponding media.

Furthermore Bassendowski confirmed that 2.2 million device have been sold worldwide. Specific numbers for Germany were not given.

Peff

Holy shit.

Two million? Two million? What a huge number. Like, a million is "big," so, what happens if you have two of them? I can't comprehend it.

Wow. Two million.

Does anybody have that one lunatic's post which went something like "HOW MANY DEVICES HAVE YOU MADE THAT SOLD 69K UNITS IN THE US IN ONE MONTH?" from an old NPD thread?

MYE

19791f19_train-wreck.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom