• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

calder

One post-game annoyance: how tedious grinding triad xp is. Replaying missions for a sliver of xp is already annoying even with the 15% triad boost clothing.

Read about the triads on Wikipedia earlier, interesting how they used the real Sun Yee On and 14K as the obvious inspirations for the SD gangs. One thing I felt the game didn't do very well story-wise was explain that the early fighting was
different factions of the same triad and that the 18K were a different triad
. To me it seemed the plot just suddenly dropped the 18K in a bit oddly, but maybe I missed a conversation.

500px-Triad_structure.svg.png

Explains some outfit names etc

Oh good I think I fixed by BSOD problem with this game.

I was getting a 0x00000124 error code which is is apparently related to vcore.
So I upped my overclock vcore in the bios and that seems to have fixed it.

:D

Cloudy

Banned
So I finally got past where I was on the ps2 version. It wasn't even tedious at all cos the game is so fun lol

Another thing I LOVE about this game is that no task feels pointless. Even the things that should be mundane are smartly integrated into the plot. For example, the mission with Peggy. That is a basic fetch quest but the nice character development made it pretty fun.

Same thing with the collectible item quests. You pretty much need to find several healing shrines to survive some drug busts and fighting clubs. Really nice game design IMO

PS: I may be in the minority but I love the racing.

mr_nothin

Banned
I'm really not enjoying this game all that much. It's basically just a bunch of fetch quests. I'm sick of overly simple fetch quests. "Oh Dude! Can you do me a favor!? Go way across town to get these drugs from the bad guys...k thx" I'm not seeing the magic here, sadly. Game looks great on PC though. At 1st I didnt like the visuals in the beginning (it looked pretty terrible during the opening sequence) but then once it opens up, it looks pretty amazing. The SSAO really helps this game shine.

So I finally got past where I was on the ps2 version. It wasn't even tedious at all cos the game is so fun lol

Another thing I LOVE about this game is that no task feels pointless. Even the things that should be mundane are smartly integrated into the plot. For example, the mission with Peggy. That is a basic fetch quest but the nice character development made it pretty fun.

Same thing with the collectible item quests. You pretty much need to find several healing shrines to survive some drug busts and fighting clubs. Really nice game design IMO

PS: I may be in the minority but I love the racing.

Bang on. There's a really great pacing and variety to all the missions. Usually in games like this (open world sandboxes), the missions just get harder and more ridiculous as you advance but even as im getting toward the end of this game, im still doing missions where i just cruise around with people and its all laid back. Its actually really refreshing.

Jimrpg

One post-game annoyance: how tedious grinding triad xp is. Replaying missions for a sliver of xp is already annoying even with the 15% triad boost clothing.

Read about the triads on Wikipedia earlier, interesting how they used the real Sun Yee On and 14K as the obvious inspirations for the SD gangs. One thing I felt the game didn't do very well story-wise was explain that the early fighting was
different factions of the same triad and that the 18K were a different triad
. To me it seemed the plot just suddenly dropped the 18K in a bit oddly, but maybe I missed a conversation.

500px-Triad_structure.svg.png

Explains some outfit names etc

sweet. nice to know. I bet the Sun Yee On are laughing at how easily Wei rises up the ladder.

Or maybe now they are suspecting everyone of being a mole...

Jimrpg

I squeezed out a quick review.

From reading your posts in this topic - I expected a higher score. I'm not familiar with Rocket Chainsaw review score guidelines but I assume they would be like PALGN. If that is your enthusiasm for an '8' game id like to see what your opinion is for a '9' or '10' game.

In particular I point you to this post - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41227071&postcount=4414

where you said you enjoyed 99% of the game and its far and away your favourite sandbox of the generation... so other sandboxes are less than '8'?

But not griping about the score and don't really mind what you give it... I've just seen alot of Sleeping Dog reviews where they were not particularly interested in the title and have given it a 7 or 8 and criticising the game for not being what they wanted it to be and knowing your enthusiasm for it I thought it would have been higher.

PS - great review by the way... your words i mean :p

jimi_dini

From reading your posts in this topic - I expected a higher score. I'm not familiar with Rocket Chainsaw review score guidelines but I assume they would be like PALGN. If that is your enthusiasm for an '8' game id like to see what your opinion is for a '9' or '10' game.

After looking through some other reviews, it seems he doesn't give out 10s or 9s like candy. Couldn't find a 10 and the 9s are really rare.

Camisado

I actually mashed A to run every now and then in Sleeping Dogs. Dammit GTA!

But yeah, holding Y to call cabs didn't work out all the time It was probably 60% called taxi, 40% horribly beat the driver.

You got lucky, mine was horribly beat driver 95% if the time, call taxi 5%.

Also, didn't GTA start the whole hold Y to taxi thing?

Ken

Why do people call a Taxi anway? That's the least fun you can have.

When I went to Hong Kong a month ago, taxis with talkative drivers were pretty great. It's a shame they didn't include random chatter by the taxi driver with Wei and being able to sit through the whole ride there.

Kyoufu

This game is so goooooood. First sandbox game I'm loving this gen. The combat, the vehicle handling, music, writing...

Only 5 hours in but so far so good.

BigDug13

This game is so goooooood. First sandbox game I'm loving this gen. The combat, the vehicle handling, music, writing...

Only 5 hours in but so far so good.

Agreed. Every element feels so solid. I'm completely addicted. That hasn't happened to me in a sandbox game since Crackdown. I'm about 13 hours in now, 55% through main story. Doing lots of side quests.

Is this normal?

ibwu216V9u6jbC.png

All characters have this weird glow and there's some sort of horizontal grain filter. Game was running on a amd 6970 (i think, 69something)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All medals GET. Free running/attacking medal was the last to get. What a pain it was. That is one mechanic that isn't anywhere near as consistent as the others.

Only one achievement left: level ten triad. Can't see that happening unless the Shaolin Showdown pack becomes DLC or something. Too tedious to grind missions for slivers of triad points.

If I ever do get level ten triad, I'm fairly sure this will be the first game I've ever got every single achievement for.

Is this normal?

Nope. Looks like a weird SSAO bug. Try turning it off and see how the game looks.

Dave_6

Played the demo last night (360) and really enjoyed it. I will probably pick this up when it drops in price a little since I still have a couple of other games to finish first.

Darkkn

Is this normal?

All characters have this weird glow and there's some sort of horizontal grain filter. Game was running on a amd 6970 (i think, 69something)

I think it's an ATI driver problem, my 5770 has the exact same thing. Fixed it by turning SSAO to 'normal'.

Tankshell

Picked up PC version yesterday based purely on gaf hype, played for about 5 hours, loving it so far.

Graphically I think it is being slightly overrated (but maybe I have just spoiled myself by playing too much GTAIV IcEnhancer), even on max settings on PC.

Basically though, another large thumbs up from me as I love almost everything else about the game. The tight combat is what really does it for me, not something I have ever seen done well in any open world game until now.

Cheers gaf.

Also, my 1st post here, having lurked for about 3 years \m/

jimi_dini

Only one achievement left: level ten triad. Can't see that happening unless the Shaolin Showdown pack becomes DLC or something. Too tedious to grind missions for slivers of triad points.

Grinding doesn't really work.
You should replay the missions that you don't have all 3 triad symbols on and get those. Then you will get plenty of XP.

Top Bottom