• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane Pinckard leaving 1up (& Ziff)

White Man

Kiriku said:
:lol
I don't hate her though, but I don't particularly like her either. But the worst part about Jane isn't Jane herself, but her rabid fans at GAF going on about how cute and hot she is mainly because

a) she likes videogames
b) she can speak Japanese

HEY JANE DO YOU NEED A COCKBLOCK?

Kiriku said:
:lol
I don't hate her though, but I don't particularly like her either. But the worst part about Jane isn't Jane herself, but her rabid fans at GAF going on about how cute and hot she is mainly because

a) she likes videogames
b) she can speak Japanese

holy shit. agree 100%

okay you guys didnt like her persona on the show and all that. but, seriously, she is a real loss as a writer. she was one of the few fresh voices in game writing and really brought a maturity to the medium. (although the maturity part may not be true of some of her readers; read: Rez) Hopefully someone equally unique can fill her shoes in the near future.

kenta

Has no PEINS
The silver lining is the fact that we got Luke when Che left, so hopefully we'll get someone equally as cool as Jane/Che/Luke this time as well

Google

meltpotato said:
she was one of the few fresh voices in game writing and really brought a maturity to the medium. (although the maturity part may not be true of some of her readers; read: Rez) Hopefully someone equally unique can fill her shoes in the near future.

What the **** are you talking about?

Barnolde

Banned
I thought she was great in the 1up show (even though in the later ones she was mostly regulated to offscreen work), as was Che. RIP 1up show :(

----

Banned
When the show started it really was "The Che show." In the same way that if Larry David were to leave Curb Your Enthusiasm it just doesn't seem right anymore. I don't think it has been the same since he left and the concept has seemed a bit hollow to me. I won't say it sucks, cause I still watch every episode, but it's just not as good. The show seems scattered and doesn't really center on any individual now. It is still an original and very creative concept with regards to previewing and discussing games, but the situations and "plots" seem more contrived and forced than before. A lot of the editors on the show are too shy about asking tough questions of the publishers and developers on the show. Now that developers know what the show is about maybe that makes it harder to continue making it. I'm sure it takes a lot of creativity and effort to put out a show like this so I hope they just keep trying to make it better.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
It's good to see shes moving into a job that doesn't require shilling for some company.

Jane seems like a great person and she was great on the 1upshow.
I will honestly miss her, just like when che left.

I wish her the best of luck in her new job.

Kittonwy

Banned
Goodbye Jane, best of luck.

gladtomeetya.gif

Vark

element said:
her drunken rant at GDC was entertaining.

Very.

She seems really passionate about actual development and the industry so I think something like this can only be a good thing for GDC.

I'm sort of afraid for the thing after E3's demise that it'll get more 'trade showy' so I'd rather know there's level headed people in charge of it.

element

Vark said:
Very.

She seems really passionate about actual development and the industry so I think something like this can only be a good thing for GDC.

I'm sort of afraid for the thing after E3's demise that it'll get more 'trade showy' so I'd rather know there's level headed people in charge of it.
yeah i think GDC might get a little more trade showy, but i don't think it will ever come close to E3 mostly due to the admission fee. I'm still paying for the admission fee, as well as my hotel and car rental. It will only be worse next year with higher priced hotels of downtown SanFran.

Jcgamer60

I didn't find anything wrong with jane. I didn't find her attractive, but she seems to be good at what she does, and a decent personality on the 1up show. To me, this is another great loss for 1up.(Hell, she looked better than that girl from "on the spot")

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
1up Show = revolution in gaming journalism/media

Its been a huge success in every way and I hope the show doesnt suffer from losing some key people! Best of luck to Jane and the rest of the crew.

Google

Jcgamer60 said:
I didn't find anything wrong with jane. I didn't find her attractive, but she seems to be good at what she does, and a decent personality on the 1up show. To me, this is another great loss for 1up.(Hell, she looked better than that girl from "on the spot")

When has what a 'journalist' looked like, mattered?

Bloodwake

chespace said:
Jerks ahoy!

Amen.

Che and Jane.. good things about 1up... gone.

Eh, I would miss them, but my 1up.com account is inactive due to the fact I don't use it since I started posting here.

Rlan

Once Jennifer Tsao goes on leave to have her baby, does this mean Ziff Davis will be a 100% sausage fest? or are there other girls writing for the magazines or online?

Vark

element said:
yeah i think GDC might get a little more trade showy, but i don't think it will ever come close to E3 mostly due to the admission fee. I'm still paying for the admission fee, as well as my hotel and car rental. It will only be worse next year with higher priced hotels of downtown SanFran.

True that, though last year a very large number of people were in with 'press passes' it was basically a free giga pass with lax as hell requirements and priority access to the large hall events.

EGM92

It's a shame to see her go, first Che now Jane... if Ryan leaves (and for some reason I feel like he's going to move onto bigger and better things) 1up will turn to shit, a lot of the other crew really sucks... badly, no offence.

Hopefully she will allow them to use the 1Up theme song. I wish her luck and look forward to many more drunken rants.

Acosta

With the prices of GDC, I really doubt it becomes a new E3.

I really hope ESA creates a more reasonable trade show after E3 debacle. Seeing the (incredible) hype for Leipzig, taking on count what type of convention it is, I feel sorry for the sanity of some people if they don´t get a major event like Electronic Expo.

element

EGM92 said:
It's a shame to see her go, first Che now Jane... if Ryan leaves (and for some reason I feel like he's going to move onto bigger and better things) 1up will turn to shit, a lot of the other crew really sucks... badly, no offence.

Hopefully she will allow them to use the 1Up theme song. I wish her luck and look forward to many more drunken rants.
there is always 1up Yours. I actually have been enjoying the audioblog more then the video blog the last couple weeks.

Akia

Rlan said:
Once Jennifer Tsao goes on leave to have her baby, does this mean Ziff Davis will be a 100% sausage fest? or are there other girls writing for the magazines or online?

Ziff ladies I that are left off the top of my head:

Dana (OPM EIC)
Jean Frank (1up Community Manager)
Nadia Oxford (Features writer)
Susan (News Intern along with Beige)
Karen (1up's Art creator)

I'm probably missing a ton of them too.

EGM92

element said:
there is always 1up Yours. I actually have been enjoying the audioblog more then the video blog the last couple weeks.

I'm not really into Audioblogs, I need visual stimuli. I like when they do they're commentary on a game and then start showing gameplay videos I know everyone does that, but for some reason the 1up show just appealed more to me.

adelante

Wario64 said:
Ryan is next.

1uphl0.jpg
:lol :lol :lol It's a curse I tell ya!! The show's a curse to befall upon its own creators!

Why Conference Manager tho?....Cos she has a good radio quality voice?

Azih

The 1up show seems to be turning into the best video resume site for a very specific niche industry.

Insertia

eh.

after the entire "che is gone!" drama, i stopped watching the 1up show. Ryan is cool, that dude needs more screen time, alone, because the rest are kind annoying. Mark is also cool but he's either shy as **** or just doesn't care. Didn't really care for Jane...she was a bit weird and awkward.

Top Bottom