• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2012 Sales Results [Up3: Sleeping Dogs]

Has the franchise grown to the point where it's doing something like 3M+ launch months?

No, in fact talking about launch months, AC1>AC2>Revelations>Brotherhood.

Just seems hard for me to believe that AC3 could more than double the launch month sales of any other game but I did think the commercial that was played during the NFL game last night was done really well.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Well, it comes out in September, so it would have to have at least fairly sizable legs.

That said, it is a majorly marketed follow-up to a highly successful co-op game, so that could be quite possible.

AC3 is a big wildcard. It's pretty safe to bet Ubisoft is spending $100-$150+ million marketing it this time around given how much they raised the development budget.

This one is also U.S. centric.

Im curious do we have numbers on how much they raised the dev budget other than hearsay? I know every one of their games has an insane # of studios working on it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Im curious do we have numbers on how much they raised the dev budget other than hearsay? I know every one of their games has an insane # of studios working on it.

They said it had double the resources of Revelations and was by far their largest project ever.

They also have a team of 600 at Montreal alone, whereas AC2 had a peak team size of 450.

But yeah, since we lack a baseline, it's hard to guess what the total budget is.

Tookay

Vita is dead because low sales in summer slump with no retail games confirmed, via NeoGAF.

Come on. You can't use the fact that it has no retail games out as a way of dismissing the possibility that the system's a lost cause sales-wise. That's counter-intuitive.

And the argument isn't that the Vita's dead because of one month's data... it's that the Vita's dead because of many months of sales data.

1-D_FTW

Just seems hard for me to believe that AC3 could more than double the launch month sales of any other game but I did think the commercial that was played during the NFL game last night was done really well.

I missed it, but not surprised one bit. Between the positive buzz and the setting being the American Revolution, they've got marketing gold on their hands. And I suspect the airwaves are going to be bombarded come launch. Put me in the camp that thinks it'll finish 2nd behind Blops. Just way too much buzz and with it being multi-platform, I think it beats a system exclusive for 2nd place.

Well I think this is the last Darksiders. THose number don't warrent more investment. Probably a good move based on what I played on both games. Decent games, but nothing that special.

donny2112

Distance Mark of Mastery Edition

Sorry it's not a bundle, seems like a limited edition.

So does that mean Nintendo has gone back to reporting individual SKU numbers instead of combining everything with the kitchen sink to prop up their poor numbers? That'd be good, if so. :)

It's hard to read, since there's really only 2 other games in the series. NSMB DS released in May and sold 276k units.

NSMB Wii launched in Nov and think was just shy of a million when it released.

So it's more in line with the DS version due to timing and system, but who knows if it will show those legs.

Lke 1.3 Million according to NPD.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Is the KH3D total (both regular and MoM) >200k?

In case he doesn't answer, 3DS XL was reported at 78k I believe.

Surely the red and black XL sold at least 20k of those units, and the special edition DDD is above that, so it seems likely.

Haunted

These sales figures represent new physical retail sales of hardware, software and accessories, which account for roughly 50% of the total consumer spend on games.
Reading this makes me question the need for NPD at all, if it's like this. Half of the picture shown. Obviously having 50% of the numbers is better than having none, but I think the deadline where incompleteness crosses into irrelevancy is fast approaching.

Here's hoping that leads to a competitor being able to provide more complete numbers in the future, or NPD changing their methodology to reflect the actual market place.

All that said, 20% down yoy doesn't sound great, Microsoft and Sony are paying for their drawn out cycle and others are sweeping in to benefit. Next generation retail console presence will have an uphill battle - I expect a ton of money just pumped into the hype machine to keep them relevant against all odds and market trends (towards PC and mobile gaming).

Tookay

I think AC3 is primed to do much better than the AC2 spin-offs or even AC2 itself.

The setting is really resonating with people and the fact that's numbered might bring back some of the people who sat out the last two games.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I think AC3 is primed to do much better than the AC2 spin-offs or even AC2 itself.

The setting is really resonating with people and the fact that's numbered might bring back some of the people who sat out the last two games.

It being an election year, i wonder if there is any 'America' play they can milk out of this.

Tookay

^ Wouldn't be surprised if they do manage to cash-in on that.

The marketing practically writes itself for AC3; it's a pretty easy sell to the US consumer (especially in comparison to the previous AC titles).

Reading this makes me question the need for NPD at all, if it's like this. Half of the picture shown. Obviously having 50% of the numbers is better than having none, but I think the deadline where incompleteness crosses into irrelevancy is fast approaching.

Here's hoping that leads to a competitor being able to provide more complete numbers in the future, or NPD changing their methodology to reflect the actual market place.

All that said, 20% down yoy doesn't sound great, Microsoft and Sony are paying for their drawn out cycle and others are sweeping in to benefit. Next generation retail console presence will have an uphill battle - I expect a ton of money just pumped into the hype machine to keep them relevant against all odds and market trends (towards PC and mobile gaming).

I think the key word here you're missing is "new", they are tracking new transactions, so all the used games sales, and used consoles sales, out of Gamestop, is not tracked. And that used sale is part of the "all the money spent on gaming". NPD is capturing a lot more than just 50% of the total retail numbers.

DarkWish

Wait, I'm confused... why are NSMB2 and KH listed as #2 and 3 when Nintendo claims they're #1 and 2 for the month. What am I missing about Darksiders II that Nintendo is apparently not counting?

Casuals will see master cheif + better graphics and no 4 written on it

and hardcore will buy the game obviously

Halo is still the most popular game on GAf as well lol and have recieved well by them

We'll see. There has never been a mainstream Halo not made by Bungie. It will be big of course but I'm guessing ODST big and not Reach big. My group of friends and I have Co-Op'd Legendary through all the Halos but no one is interested in 4. It will be the first ever Halo I don't buy.

Looking at COD, I'd say not at all.

COD started doing different devs starting with COD3. This is the first ever numbered Halo game not by the original developer.

Peff

Wait, I'm confused... why are NSMB2 and KH listed as #2 and 3 when Nintendo claims they're #1 and 2 for the month. What am I missing about Darksiders II that Nintendo is apparently not counting?

Both sold better than any single version of Darksiders II.

Haunted

I think the key word here you're missing is "new", they are tracking new transactions, so all the used games sales, and used consoles sales, out of Gamestop, is not tracked. And that used sale is part of the "all the money spent on gaming". NPD is capturing a lot more than just 50% of the total retail numbers.
They're capturing (well, estimating) it, but it's not represented in the monthly numbers we get.

I get that the rest of the consumer spend estimates are part of their quarterly report, but we never get to see or talk about these numbers here on GAF - so the irrelevancy comment is still valid in terms of GAF threads.

I think.

donny2112

Nintendo is ranking the games by individual platform. NPD is combining platforms, which makes DSII a higher total.

Tookay

Its cause BbS is a superior game in about every way.

While that might be true in the long-run, I don't think comparative quality's a factor for initial sales.

KH's in spin-off hell, divided amongst multiple systems and a increasingly-frustrated fanbase.

Seda

Darksiders in the NPD chart is a sum of 3 SKUS, each individually lower than NSMB2 and KHDDD

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Individual SKU.

Edit: heh, beaten.

Nintendo is talking sales on a single platform. Darksiders II is no.1 with all added together.

Drago

If digital sales were included I'm sure NSMB2 would be the real #1 (unless they are included but no one knows). I would think that there are more than 7k downloads of it

donny2112

If digital sales were included I'm sure NSMB2 would be the real #1 (unless they are included but no one knows).

They're not. Nintendo's PR was just for NPD numbers. On the download side, they really haven't put out download cards anywhere. I've seen a few online, but in-store, I haven't seen a single one. Hopefully that changes by the time Brain Training 3D comes out.

AniHawk

for all the doom and gloom, hey- the ps vita actually crossed the 700,000 mark in the united states this month!

inner-G

Banned
Wow, that's a hit to 360 numbers and they kind of have all their eggs in the US basket. If their rumored silicon problems for the 720 are true, I would expect them to start dropping hardware prices on 360 to keep market share/presence from dwindling too much.

Top Bottom