• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2012 Sales Results [Up3: Sleeping Dogs]

Road

Less than 40k in a month:

GC in 2006...
Xbox in 2006...
GBA in 2008...
PS2 in 2010...
PSP in 2012...

Can you see the pattern?

Derrick01

Banned
Going by the developers past record, I think we need to wait for it to release and see its quality to judge if it is a must have or not. Same with COD Vita.

True but the difference right now between the two is COD looks soooo bad whereas everything they've shown and previewed on AC has looked really good. The gameplay changes even make it seem like a more hardcore game than the main series has been so far.

They're $30-$40. There's only been one $50 one.

I look at 39.99 for Lumines and I still cringe. How did anyone think that was a good plan? I love lumines, but for 40 dollars why would anyone that doesn't know about it take a chance on it? Not sure what Ubisoft was thinking.

Vita sales = haha
3DS sales = bad
NSMB2 sales = horrible
KHDDD sales = horrible
360 sales = bad
PS3 sales = don't have numbers so anywhere from horrible to bad.

SE is just an incompetant company that milks franchises to death. Someone needs to buy SE and clean house of all the morons. Theres no reason they need to make 15 final fantasy spin offs each gen etc

Nintendo ain't paying all that money
Sony already spent all the money they had on emi/ericsson/olympus/so-net
Microsoft doesn't give a shit about Japan anymore and SE titles are struggling to sell elsewhere
Google doesn't want it
Apple definitely doesn't want it

SquarEnixCapNami to be formed XD

The best part is SCE provides the tools for free, so it's not like they framework to do it isn't there for SE.

Source?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ouch 3DS...but maybe not so much. Last month it did 130k ( Petrae said us 3DS + DS = a bit more than 260k, and that they did the same). So, 36% higher means around 180k. Since XL represented 44% of monthly sales, we have 80k for XL's first week. This means original 3DS did just 100k: a pretty big drop in performace compared to what happened in Japan and probably in Europe after the XL came. Probably, the XL will eat more of the OG compared to the rest of the world. And actually 80k for the first week isn't bad: given the long lasting effect the SKU had in Japan and, seeing the charts with 3DS games rising and all, in Europe too, it could have a good September ( also due to it being a 5 weeks month). NSMB2 debuting good is another good signal for the next future. Probably, what happened is more the combination of just one week considered and OG model slowing down in a big way, future is going to be interesting.

Vita lower than 40k is just too much. R.I.P.

P.S. I need an "I canned it!" gif for KH :lol I wad SO wrong

Busaiku

Honestly though, I don't think that's too bad for Persona 4 Arena.
Persona 4 did 123k between its debut December and January.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
All Next-Gen consoles should have been released this year. Microsoft and Sony are playing a dangerous game and tempting an industry crash by extending it out this long. At this point they are pretty much mirroring what Atari did by believing they don't need new consoles and pumping out crap games that are pretty much just pallet swaps of every other game. It's possible that the top selling individual SKU sold less than 160,000 this month, when is the last time that happened?

This situation reminds me of this article, the writer could see the future.
http://www.cracked.com/article_15732_life-after-video-game-crash.html

WHAT????? I could see having a new consoles but the games that are on MS and Sony systems are not crap............this is nothing like what Atari did in the 80"s.

TheNatural

My Member!
Clear message has been sent by consumers:

Don't Copy Pasta the Mario franchise Nintendo. It's too fucking valuable to send in the C teams to make third and fourth variations of an unpopular version of the Mario franchise.

Put some fucking effort into it next time.

HYDE

Banned
Happy to know we'll be getting a Batman: Arkham County. Maybe even a Batman: Arkham Country.

AniHawk

Don't Copy Pasta the Mario franchise Nintendo. It's too fucking valuable to send in the C teams to make third and fourth variations of an unpopular version of the Mario franchise.

this might make sense if you were talking about nsmb, but nsmb2 is actually pretty good.

Toth

So 40k for Last Story...I would be disappointed but then again I NEVER SEE THE GAME IN ANY STORE. When I got mine at best Buy, they had them all in the backroom...

stktt

Banned

But it didn't sell much less (and might even be equal if you count digital sales) and is a better game than NSMB DS. :\

Meier

Sleeping Dogs is one of the best games this generation. Good luck to it and godspeed going forward. Hopefully it has some legs..

HYDE

Banned
this might make sense if you were talking about nsmb, but nsmb2 is actually pretty good.

thanks for saying this, because it is true...i might even like it more than nsmb wii.

off topic: matter of fact it's almost as good as metroid prime ;)

Vita will be dead in the US to even the hardest of believers when the holiday numbers come in.

The whole "AC3, COD WILL SAVE IT!" bullshit will finally come to an end.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Vita sales = haha
3DS sales = bad
NSMB2 sales = horrible
KHDDD sales = horrible
360 sales = bad
PS3 sales = don't have numbers so anywhere from horrible to bad.

Nintendo ain't paying all that money
Sony already spent all the money they had on emi/ericsson/olympus/so-net
Microsoft doesn't give a shit about Japan anymore and SE titles are struggling to sell elsewhere
Google doesn't want it
Apple definitely doesn't want it

SquarEnixCapNami to be formed XD

Source?

KH and Mario's sales aren't "horrible," 3DS and 360's sales aren't "bad."

I have a feeling 2 years from now we'll look back at months like this and realize this is the new normal.

How's that when it seems to have sold similarly to NSMB's first month, just based on retail sales? The message, at least as far as just NSMB2 is concerned, doesn't seem to be entirely clear based on just it's first month of sales. What will be interested is what will happen from here. Of course, the sales so far in Japan are an entirely different story and are oddly low, but these seem to be pretty normal so far.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So with the CE included, KH3D did BBS's first month then pretty much. Will it have legs though, is the question.

Meier

Did NSMB2 do horribly or is it just me?

I haven't bought it yet, so...I guess?

It didn't do great, but it did okay. There's no doubt it will hit 1.5-2 million by the end of the year though. I think close to 1 million in both November and December is pretty realistic.

TheNatural

My Member!
How's that when it seems to have sold similarly to NSMB's first month, just based on retail sales? The message, at least as far as just NSMB2 is concerned, doesn't seem to be entirely clear based on just it's first month of sales. What will be interested is what will happen from here.

3DS numbers with a big system revision and a new Mario did no major boost, that's pretty clear from these numbers.

The extremely rare (for a "mainline" Mario game) tepid critical response has been noted.

off topic: matter of fact it's almost as good as metroid prime ;)
Thems crazy words, there.

And I'm REALLY liking NSMB2.

I'm talking about the entire NSMB series.
But NSMB Wii is God-tier and NSMB2 is great.

Only the first game was bland (but it had a killer versus mode).

So with the CE included, KH3D did BBS's first month then pretty much. Will it have legs though, is the question.
Given its relative early release in the 3DS lifespan, I think that has a good chance.

Seda

Best Buy has a B2G1 promotion going on right now on 3DS, may help those legs a bit (on all the 3DS games).

Maybe.

When will Sony pull the Vita plug? I'd guess they'll slowly kill it off starting January if COD and AC dont do gangbusters.

Also, these sales make me wonder if there is even a market for more than one console next gen. I'm sure as heck not playing touch only games for serious gaming, so I might have to shift more gaming to PC (hopefully most games will let me bring my console controller with me).

shandy706

New hardware isn't going to save consoles. Ask the Vita. The problem is price and it still won't go down.

It's already dropped to $199 at some retailers. Like Fry's...for example.

I'd still put out the $400+ I paid for multiple games, a mem card, and the console near launch. Pocket change for such a great handheld. ;)

Top Bottom