• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2012 Sales Results [Up3: Sleeping Dogs]

NBtoaster

Wonder how significant eShop sales of KH3D and NSMB2 would be.

I would expect digital sales for handhelds to be strong but I don't know how accessable and organised Nintendo is with that.

TheNatural

My Member!
Thems crazy words, there.

And I'm REALLY liking NSMB2.

But NSMB Wii is God-tier and NSMB2 is great.

Only the first game was bland (but it had a killer versus mode).

Given its relative early release in the 3DS lifespan, I think that has a good chance.

LOL. Okay there guy.

As a Mario vet, the NSMB series is strictly second tier, on the Mario totem pole, including the Wii version.

Bottom line is, Nintendo should probably be concerned their hardware revision and new Mario launch didn't pull any big boost in the US. If this is the case - what will be the case with Wii U and the FOURTH version of this franchise?

Drago

Wonder how significant eShop sales of KH3D and NSMB2 would be.

I would expect digital sales for handhelds to be strong but I don't know how accessable and organised Nintendo is with that.

No digital for KH3D

I expect NSMB2 did >10k at the least

Meier

3DS numbers with a big system revision and a new Mario did no major boost, that's pretty clear from these numbers.

The extremely rare (for a "mainline" Mario game) tepid critical response has been noted.

I know for me personally, I haven't bought a 3DS game in awhile because I refuse to spend $40 on a handheld game (all my Vita titles have been digital or bought on eBay to save some $$). Once Nintendo wakes up drops the prices, I might buy a few games. Still haven't even bought Mario 3D Land..

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL. Okay there guy.

As a Mario vet, the NSMB series is strictly second tier, on the Mario totem pole, including the Wii version.

Bottom line is, Nintendo should probably be concerned their hardware revision and new Mario launch didn't pull any big boost in the US. If this is the case - what will be the case with Wii U and the FOURTH version of this franchise?

I will never understand GAF's hate for NSMB Wii. It's fantastic.

That said, after the Wii U version, it's time to be done with 2D-Mario for awhile. I want a couple 3D versions-- maybe a Galaxy sequel or a something with a hub like Mario 64.

That said, after the Wii U version, it's time to be done with 2D-Mario for awhile. I want a couple 3D versions-- maybe a Galaxy sequel or a something with a hub like Mario 64.

Most of GAF probably played it by themselves in their basements.

Not the best way to play NSMBWii if you ask me.

Galang

Banned
So 40k for Last Story...I would be disappointed but then again I NEVER SEE THE GAME IN ANY STORE. When I got mine at best Buy, they had them all in the backroom...

Hmm this is actually a lot higher than I would have thought. Wonder how much they expected.

zroid

Banned
I know for me personally, I haven't bought a 3DS game in awhile because I refuse to spend $40 on a handheld game (all my Vita titles have been digital or bought on eBay to save some $$). Once Nintendo wakes up drops the prices, I might buy a few games. Still haven't even bought Mario 3D Land..

I bought a second (new) copy of 3D Land for $10 a few weeks ago. That was an anomaly, I know, but the lower prices are there if you care to look for them. Getting the majority of 3DS games for $30 or less should be easy.

TheNatural

My Member!

I don't hate it, I just don't consider it near SMB 3 or SMW.

And I don't want 2D Mario to not continue, I just wish they would make it more of a single player focused level design similar to the older Mario games, with the graphic style to boot.

I have a feeling you're going to think the next 5 years of video game sales are also going to be "horrible."

Mobile gaming is mainly going to be on iOS and android 5 years from now, iphone 5 is coming out sometime this month and I can't wait as I'll get that free through work as soon as they do their security test on it, but that's a topic for another thread.

What's the PS3/Wii split? Is that known yet?

It amazes me how big and porminent the PSV section is compared to the 3DS section at places like Best Buy and Gamestop.

It's still very hard to find 3DS games. Most places still throw them all together with the DS stuff.

You'd think this is having an affect on sales for 3DS.

It amazes me how big and porminent the PSV section is compared to the 3DS section at places like Best Buy and Gamestop.

It's still very hard to find 3DS games. Most places still throw them all together with the DS stuff.

The Vita section at stores near me is nonexistent.

well then the message from consumers part doesn't make sense because nsmb and nsmbw are the two best-selling games in the series aside from the first one.

Because we had no alternative! We had to buy NSMB games T_T 2D Mario is an addiction that most gamers can't kick, even if the games are mediocre.

antonz

That is one thing I have noticed about most Best Buys too. They have such a tiny 3DS section while Vita has a section thats like 2-3 times larger.

NOA does need to kill the DS line off though and start the forced transition to 3DS. Sales would look alot healthier with the DS sales now 3DS.

TheNatural

My Member!
well then the message from consumers part doesn't make sense because nsmb and nsmbw are the two best-selling games in the series aside from the first one.

You were referring to what I think of the quality of the series, and now you're talking about me referring to how consumers responded.

Obviously being the third NSMB game, there is no more of the "first 2D Mario on console/handheld in 20 years" thing going for it anymore, and the game has to stand on it's own merits. It's not even the first Mario platformer on 3DS now. A lot more muted response, and hasn't sold systems.

zroid

Banned
Hmm, 3DS section is definitely no smaller than Vita's at my local Best Buys/Future Shops. Bigger, generally.

Vita games get 3 shelves. 3DS gets 2 whole racks (four shelves each).

Drago

NOA does need to kill the DS line off though and start the forced transition to 3DS. Sales would look alot healthier with the DS sales now 3DS.

Agreed.

After B&W2 I expect Nintendo to slow down DS production and have this holiday be it's last, with most if not all DS deals being for clearance. 3DS only future going forward into 2013.

I hope...

terrisus

Indeed, I wish we had a fun Mario graph with sales numbers like we do for the Japanese threads. Would have posted that here, but of course that's from the Japanese numbers, and don't think we have a fun graph like that for US numbers.

Either way though, they definitely have plenty of reason to continue making them.

You were referring to what I think of the quality of the series, and now you're talking about me referring to how consumers responded.

Well, this is a sales thread. And, the original comment Ani was replying to, which had mentioned "consumers," was,

Clear message has been sent by consumers:

Don't Copy Pasta the Mario franchise Nintendo. It's too fucking valuable to send in the C teams to make third and fourth variations of an unpopular version of the Mario franchise.

Put some fucking effort into it next time.

The Gamestop guys don't even try to push the Vita on me anymore.

Their desperation in the months following launch was entertaining while it lasted.

Top Bottom