• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2012 Sales Results [Up3: Sleeping Dogs]

zroid

Banned
Theres supposed to be 5 or 6 titles Digitally available though it seems they arent in a hurry. DDD was named as one but still nothing

Apparently that was an error. It was later clarified on Nintendo's website that those titles they presented as being made available digitally only applied to their own. :/

TheNatural

My Member!
Well, this is a sales thread. And, the original comment Ani was replying to was,

He was replying to my reply after that when he said I would have a point about NSMB DS, (as most consider it bland), but NSMB 2 is good.

And I said "well I'm talking about the whole NSMB series." I was responding to him responding about me saying Nintendo putting some effort in the series.

Reallink

If digital sales were included I'm sure NSMB2 would be the real #1 (unless they are included but no one knows). I would think that there are more than 7k downloads of it

With DS2 you would have to account for all the PC downloads (Steam, GMG, ect...) and possibly a somewhat significant untracked retailer (the THQ Store sold DS2 with a free "Season Pass" that probably did a few 10k units worth of sales, which I don't think NPD covers). Given the awareness of the eShop in America, I'd have to say I doubt it'd put NSMB on top--more likely it'd put it a lot further behind.

So, the US games market continues to be in the doldrums, and has been for the past 18 months or something like that. The UK figures have been shite for about that length of time, Japan is basically dead or dying outside of the 3DS and I doubt mainland Europe is bucking the trend.

Is this the sound of the industry crashing?

Seda

So, the US games market continues to be in the doldrums, and has been for the past 18 months or something like that. The UK figures have been shite for about that length of time, Japan is basically dead or dying outside of the 3DS and I doubt mainland Europe is bucking the trend.

Is this the sound of the industry crashing?

Madden 13 sold 1.65m in a week, highest ever in that time.

Drago

With DS2 you would have to account for all the PC downloads (Steam, GMG, ect...) and possibly a somewhat significant untracked retailer (the THQ Store sold DS2 with a free "Season Pass" which probably did a few 10k units worth of sales). Given the awareness of the eShop in America, I'd have to say I doubt it'd be NSMB on top--more likely it'd put it a lot further behind.

Yeah, realized this a while ago :)

Shinta

Banned
Man October can't come soon enough

Ragnarok Odyssey will save the vita!

Ragnarok Odyssey
Persona 4 Golden
Good People Die: Virtue's Last Reward
Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
New Little King's Story
Silent Hill: Book of Memories

and I think a few more. It's like every Vita title for the whole 2nd half of the year hits all in October. I have no idea who thought that was a good idea. But October should definitely see some increased action.

ohlawd

Vita outsold by The Last Story, a JRPG on the Wii, a dead system. Am I allowed to laugh?

I have the game's collector's edition unopened. Can't wait to start playing it when I've cleared some of my backlog

I hope DDD and NSMB2 have legs. I would have bought Sleeping Dogs but no PC ;_;

Best news I've seen is Black Ops > MW3. Let's hope IW never make a CoD game ever again.

It's not looking good for the Vita. Sony has to be rethinking their strategy and expectations to make it sell well in all territories. They can't just use the sit and wait approach, hoping it takes off with how they're handling PSN, digital pricing and proprietary memory cards. I'd hate to see the Vita go away.

Shinta

Banned
It's not looking good for the Vita. Sony has to be rethinking their strategy and expectations to make it sell well in all territories. They can't just use the sit and wait approach, hoping it takes off with how they're handling PSN, digital pricing and proprietary memory cards. I'd hate to see the Vita go away.

They're working on hardware redesigns to cut cost so they can do a price cut. They can't do it instantly though. They have supported it aggressively with first party stuff as well like Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, Unit 13, KillZone, and the whole Cross Buy program. They're also adding PS+ to Vita.

Really the only two things they can do right now to help are:
* Slash memory card prices now
* Keep begging third parties to invest in the platform

I don't think Sony dropped the ball at all, except for memory cards. The system is extremely well designed, and had a solid launch lineup.

Just cancel it already. There's nothing that will 'save' the platform. It just wasn't meant to be.

Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, Call of Duty and a price cut. Just wait. It's not quite dead yet.

Shinta

Banned
Kind of bad when you have to make up games that don't exist that'll eventully save the platform. . .

It's an educated guess. I really would be shocked if we don't see a Final Fantasy and a Monster Hunter game on the system. I guess that's just totally out of the realm of possibility though right guys?

Takao

Banned
It's an educated guess. I really would be shocked if we don't see a Final Fantasy and a Monster Hunter game on the system. I guess that's just totally out of the realm of possibility though right guys?

MH ain't gonna do jank here though.

AniHawk

You were referring to what I think of the quality of the series, and now you're talking about me referring to how consumers responded.

Obviously being the third NSMB game, there is no more of the "first 2D Mario on console/handheld in 20 years" thing going for it anymore, and the game has to stand on it's own merits. It's not even the first Mario platformer on 3DS now. A lot more muted response, and hasn't sold systems.

you were, apparently, referring to the three as a whole. i thought you were originally referring to the most recent one. it's hard to tell that you're switching what you're talking about from paragraph to paragraph if you refer to one thing and then actually mean three things.

Drago

I expect a Final Fantasy (FFX HD is confirmed, yes? Although it seems to be vaporware at this point...)

I don't expect a MonHun though, not until after 4 at least

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Right now there is no reason for 3rd parties to give Vita high profile releases in any territory.

AniHawk

they have some bundles to take them through december. if there are announcements at tgs they can maybe live in japan until 2013. if the bundles and crossplay doesn't help in the us, it's probably finished.

they will release a revision with a price drop though. i don't see sony pulling the plug on it until sometime in 2014 if things look especially bad.

The basis for which you get software is typically determined by the amount of hardware you sell. There's absolutely no reason for a publisher to even think about releasing games for the Vita.

terrisus

hw

psp < vita < 50k < wii < ds < 100k < ps3 < 150k < 3ds < 360

Well, hey, Vita outsold the PSP... That's something at least...

I miss old NPD. nothing but conjecture and heresay now.

It's been 2 years :(

And, yeah, it seems like forever ago now (and of course I was just lurking at that point)
But, hey, the new format gets us to practice our Mathematics, reasoning, and deduction skills... so that's kind of something...

MechaX

Ship has probably already sailed on Monster Hunter at this point.

Seeing "a Final Fantasy" is one thing, as they can eventually shit out FFX HD on the system. Seeing a Final Fantasy that will push systems is another thing entirely, especially with SE's sporadic development cycle these days. And this is assuming that the Vita sales don't get worse by the time SE even gets around this idea.

So with the CE included, KH3D did BBS's first month then pretty much. Will it have legs though, is the question.
Better than BBS without question. The GBA and DS KHs all more than doubled their first months lifetime iirc, the games tend to have serious legs on Nintendo handhelds.

Shinta

Banned
The basis for which you get software is typically determined by the amount of hardware you sell. There's absolutely no reason for a publisher to even think about releasing games for the Vita.

It's a chicken and egg thing, and it's not always one before the other. Sometimes you gamble on it to push the system so there will be another market to sell your games in the future. In Japan especially, the system spikes any time a big game comes out. The sales are software driven, and Monster Hunter, Mario and Final Fantasy are kind of the go to system sellers in Japan.

How much did PS1 sell before FFVII came out? Why is SQEX committing multiple games to Ouya already?

Been saying for a while that they only really have a chance if major, as-yet-unannounced software (particularly from Square Enix) was greenlit before launch, before the sales figures rolled in and served as a massive disincentive for starting new Vita projects. TGS is the last real potential venue for those announcements, and even then, whatever's announced there isn't likely to do that much outside Japan.

MH ain't gonna do jank here though.
I think the line of reasoning is that helping Vita sell well in Japan will get more Japanese developers on board - which in turn leads to more sales everywhere.

Since we know what most Western devs think of dedicated handheld gaming.

Top Bottom