• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2012 Sales Results [Up3: Sleeping Dogs]

pargonta

wait...

didn't iwata say something about digital sales announcement transparency a while back?

i just remembered that he wanted to make the numbers available, and it was for nsmb2 too i think... hmm..

I keep expecting the Vita to eventually stabilize at some very low point like it did in Japan, but that isn't happening. It's getting way lower every month.

Bruno MB

My opinion regarding PS Vita and 3DS is that both systems simply don't deserve to be selling more than what they are doing it now.

So much for Darksiders 2 selling 4 million units in order to green-light a new sequel, just a quarter of a million units looks terribly low.

I don't think Kingdom Hearts 3D did it too badly, I think it's a fine figure although it'd better have decent legs.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 has sold in its launch 240,000 units while its predecessor New Super Mario Bros. debuted with 275,692 units sold.

donny2112

wait...

didn't iwata say something about digital sales announcement transparency a while back?

i just remembered that he wanted to make the numbers available, and it was for nsmb2 too i think... hmm..

Yeah, it was 5% digital in Japan (unclear if that's eShop direct purchases or combination of eShop-direct and download card purchases), but U.S. is more digital friendly.

Drago

wait...

Iwata revealed the percentage of sales the digital version of NSMB2 took in Japan (same for Brain Training)

~5% of total sales. Brain Training had a higher percentage

For what they intended as a relaunch in America, Nintendo sure didn't push the 3DSXL much.
Also interesting is despite supposedly starting a focus more on digital with NSMB2, not only did they not bother to bring the actual prepaid cards to NA (instead, you have to ask for a code for the digital version to be printed on your receipt), but it's not even mentioned that you can download NSMB2 digitally in the TV commercials at all, not even at the end where they show the game next to an XL (no eShop icon or anything). Quite strange.

wait...

They did it, for Japan until now though. And also not right away.

Tookay

COD started doing different devs starting with COD3. This is the first ever numbered Halo game not by the original developer.

And it didn't matter then either. It won't matter now. The majority of parents buying it for their kids have no idea the developer's different and I imagine the kids asking them for it don't either. Nor do the fratbros or mainstream gamers who don't frequent gaming forums on a daily basis, or the working people who don't have time to research anything beyond the "4" on the box.

GAF really needs to accept the fact that a couple hundred thousand people in the know on the internet won't make a dent in a game series that sells millions of copies.

DEADEVIL

Well I won't be 'surprised', I'll just be wrong. Its just something I feel around the game, different from last time. I could be wrong, could be right - there are other more important things going on than to be surprised at Halo 4's sales in that month!

Yup you definately could be wrong and no one is rating it's importance in your life.

Drago

Also interesting is despite supposedly starting a focus more on digital with NSMB2, not only did they not bother to bring the actual prepaid cards to NA (instead, you have to ask for a code for the digital version to be printed on your receipt), but it's not even mentioned that you can download NSMB2 digitally in the TV commercials at all, not even at the end where they show the game next to an XL. Quite strange.

NoA is just plain stupid

nsmb2 didn't do too badly, but the 3ds xl definitely bombed. i think nintendo will do okay with sales constantly between 200k and 250k, but all this sub-200k stuff is awful for them. nsmb2 should be $34.99, the 3ds should be $99.99, and the 3ds xl should be $129.99.
I don't know if the 3DS/XL needs to drop that much but I personally feel both versions are overpriced by at least ~$50 at the moment. Especially when there still isn't a game I really, really want for it yet.

$40 MSRP for handheld games is lunacy though, especially in this economy.

Road

Vita under 40k for new page.

So Japan and Us are selling on par month by month??

Vita sold 50k last week in Japan.

3DS sold 230k in the XL release week in Japan.

So it looks like one week in Japan is better than a month in the US.

half-joking

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I keep expecting the Vita to eventually stabilize at some very low point like it did in Japan, but that isn't happening. It's getting way lower every month.

The numbers are going to go down until there are releases.

There was literally -nothing- for August.

At least this month has Madden with a bundle.

donny2112

sd > 150k

I thought about that really hard, and then it hit me. :) Price drop is killing for it. "$99 is the sweetspot for handheld systems." This should be repeated every month. :lol

Edit:
Sleeping Dogs. Thought it was a clever switch-around or something. :lol

Vita sold 50k last week in Japan.

3DS sold 230k in the XL release week in Japan.

So it looks like one week in Japan is better than a month in the US.

half-joking

I read Media Create threads every week, meant more on a status quo basis. Ignoring Miku bump.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Obviously the inclusion of the original jp. voicetrack killed the game in the states. They should cut it for the European release. It should only take 3 extra months to do it.

Hearing the low sales of P4A is like music to my ears.

$40 MSRP for handheld games is lunacy though, especially in this economy.

And $50 for Vita games. It is a big thing that keeps me away right now.

If the assassin's creed game doesn't qualify as a must have then there is never going to be one for Vita.

Going by the developers past record, I think we need to wait for it to release and see its quality to judge if it is a must have or not. Same with COD Vita.

Top Bottom