• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
You realize this event is just going to be like 2 minutes long - they will announce release date, price, what's in the box, and then just list off launch titles and that's it.

I seriously doubt that. They will most likely unveil the following: online plans, WiiU's OS, release date, price, WiiU e-Shop, SKUs (if multiple), launch line-up, social applications, and more details on their launch games (like Nintendoland). Also expected is full reveals for Black OPs 2 and a few other games at the NA press conference, with announcements on unannounced Eastern-Developed WiiU titles (along with the Japan launch lineup) will be unveiled at the 3AM Iwata Nintendo Direct.

I imagine the Press conference will be close to a hour long, while both Nintendo Directs will be somewhere between 25-45 minutes long.

D-e-f-

Banned
You realize this event is just going to be like 2 minutes long - they will announce release date, price, what's in the box, and then just list off launch titles and that's it.

There'll be a lot more to show.

Source: European Patent Application EP2497551
Publication Date: 09/12/2012 Filing Date: 02/23/2012

Patent demonstrates the use of WiiU Gamepad and Balance board, to control a character in an underwater environment.
3s8jr6.png
121fd8.png

4aoyp9u.png
4bjq99.png

It seems that the gamepad is responsible for pitch/yaw/roll of character and balance board for..."dolphin kicking". (yes, that's how the patent calls it)

Old? Was this kind of WiiU gamepad/balance board combo shown before - other than that tramboline game/demo?

Maybe a Nintendo Land "activity"?

And now please recall Miyamoto mentioning that his latest favorite hobby was swimming ....

Anth0ny

Final Prediction Time:

-Launch date, games and price (For America it'll be November 18, $299 with Nintendo Land download code packed in. Japan will be a few weeks later, about $50 less, no Nintendo Land).

-First look at the Wii U menu screens and the store

-New Nintendo Land minigames

fin.

Final Prediction Time:

-Launch date, games and price (For America it'll be November 18, $299 with Nintendo Land download code packed in. Japan will be a few weeks later, about $50 less, no Nintendo Land).

No! I still hate the fact that Sony continues to do this bullshit.

Sheroking

Final Prediction Time:

-First look at the Wii U menu screens and the store

-New Nintendo Land minigames

fin.

If Nintendo packed Nintendo Land in, it would be a disc, not a code.

Lionel Richie?

"Hello, is it Wii you're looking for?..."

I've been alone with you inside my mind
And in my dreams I've stroked your screen a thousand times
I sometimes see you pass outside my door
Hello, is it Wii U looking for?

I can Wii it in your eyes
I can Wii it in your smile
U all I've ever wanted, and my arms are open wide
'Cause U know just what to say
And U know just what to do
And I want to tell you so much, I Wii U

CrisKre

Just got an email from Nintendo saying to tune in tomorrow at ten for a live streaming of the event in the us. Yeahhhhhh! Hyyyyyype!

I've been alone with you inside my mind
And in my dreams I've stroked your screen a thousand times
I sometimes see you pass outside my door
Hello, is it Wii U looking for?

I can Wii it in your eyes
I can Wii it in your smile
U all I've ever wanted, and my arms are open wide
'Cause U know just what to say
And U know just what to do
And I want to tell you so much, I Wii U

0421_nid4d.gif

Oxirane

The balance board should have been implemented into more Wii games. Even just simply as the x-axis of a right stick, using it as camera control for some games.

TrutaS

Zelda and Pokemon are the coal of my Nintendo hype train. So far it hasn't left the station.

Ps: but this coal tends to perform really well so the train may still go miles!

*Nintendo show off Nintendo Land for 25 minutes*

GAF: So Reggie, what's the next part of your masterplan?

Reggie: Crashing this hype train........with no survivors!

D-e-f-

Banned
*Nintendo show off Nintendo Land for 25 minutes*

GAF: So Reggie, what's the next part of your masterplan?

Reggie: Crashing this hype train........with no survivors!

I wouldn't even mind. This time, nobody expects a Big Game Reveal for Us at the end and gets nothing. That was the only problem with that. I actually want them to show more NintendoLand stuff tomorrow.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Tonight/Tomorrow morning is going to be so painful for me. I have my first Survey of Chemistry test on Friday, a Mid-term due tomorrow afternoon in another class, and a Chemistry Lab at 9:30 AM (two hour class). I want to participate in the hype, but even now I feel guilty for not working on my mid-term and/or studying instead. Not to mention I can't stay up for the Nintendo Direct at 3AM EST (have to wake up extra early), or even watch the Nintendo Press Conference live because of my lab. :/ I'm sure tomorrow will be great, but not being able to participate is going to stink. The worst though? Not being able to watch these live.

Oh well, still excited!

Oersted

I wouldn't even mind. This time, nobody expects a Big Game Reveal for Us at the end and gets nothing. That was the only problem with that. I actually want them to show more NintendoLand stuff tomorrow.

there will be atleast that one unrevealed game.

Banned
I expected the Wii U to be around $350 last year, but it's sounding more like $300 this year. And according to Bloomberg, Nintendo would need to sell the Wii U at $300 to be profitable day 1 (like all hardware from Nintendo).

To make a profit from hardware sales, the Wii U would need to be priced close to $300, based on estimated costs, said Satoru Kikuchi, a Tokyo-based analyst at Deutsche Bank AG. To overcome competition from the many other devices on the market and be embraced by families and children, and not just hardcore gamers, it would need to be priced closer to $200, he said.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...st-phone-led-by-mario-s-super-wii-u-tech.html

I just think the people who are expecting this thing to cost as much as the Wii did ($250) are going to be disappointed because:

1. All signs are pointing to a $300+ price point
2. Iwata himself said the Wii U is going to cost more than the Wii did http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306659/iwata-on-wii-u-price-this-is-not-going-to-be-cheap/
3. Iwata said "the Wii U won't be cheap" and $250 sounds cheap to me for a console http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306659/iwata-on-wii-u-price-this-is-not-going-to-be-cheap/

So based on those three points I would say the Wii U won't be lower than $300.

Edit: I added links.

hyduK

Banned
I expected the Wii U to be around $350 last year, but it's sounding more like $300 this year. And according to Bloomberg, Nintendo would need to sell the Wii U at $300 to be profitable day 1 (like all hardware from Nintendo).

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...st-phone-led-by-mario-s-super-wii-u-tech.html

I just think the people who are expecting this thing to cost as much as the Wii did ($250) are going to be disappointed because:

1. All signs are pointing to a $300+ price point
2. Iwata himself said the Wii U is going to cost more than the Wii did
3. Iwata said "the Wii U won't be cheap" and $250 sounds cheap to me for a console

So based on those three points I would say the Wii U won't be lower than $300.

$250 isn't cheap relative to what this thing is capable of. It's bordering expensive.

$300 for this is comparable to $600 for a PS3 in 2006.

ozfunghi

The PAL Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 16.00 CET, which means in about 21 hours from now.

How many hours til the Japanese and US versions?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Tonight/Tomorrow morning is going to be so painful for me. I have my first Survey of Chemistry test on Friday, a Mid-term due tomorrow afternoon in another class, and a Chemistry Lab at 9:30 AM (two hour class). I want to participate in the hype, but even now I feel guilty for not working on my mid-term and/or studying instead. Not to mention I can't stay up for the Nintendo Direct at 3AM EST (have to wake up extra early), or even watch the Nintendo Press Conference live because of my lab. :/ I'm sure tomorrow will be great, but not being able to participate is going to stink. The worst though? Not being able to watch these live.

Oh well, still excited!
Attend to your studies, fella. We will keep the seat warm for your comeback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom