• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best case scenario is they will actually upscale (and not be rendered at a higher resolution which is what everyone seems to assume this means) with some "smooth edges" filter (like PS2 games do on PS3). It might look a little sharper but it will never look like a proper HD-remaster that uses freshly rendered higher resolution assets.

Yeah people expecting what they've seen on the "Dolphin 1080p" videos were always cruising for disappointment. All I'm asking for is to not be put through the visual anguish of Wii games through a SCART lead on HDTV.

So... ugly.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So, at the Wii and 3DS September launch info conferences... I don't really remember there being any software reveals. Were there even any trailers during those?

Well with the 3DS Nintendo had already blown their load. So much so that some games are still not out.

If I recall the Wii event was very much focused on what you would experience out of the box, so the channels and Wii Sports.

wsippel

Banned
Yeah, but it would also require some serious additional hardware features IIRC. What seems straightforward in Dolphin isn't so easy to pull off in a console (again IIRC) Tech heads, enlighten us.
It's not about the hardware. It's just inaccurate and therefore prone to break things. Nintendo would need to test every single Wii game released, every single version, to make sure everything behaves and performs as expected. Every other title would require specific hacks and tweaks, and tons of games still wouldn't work correctly or at all.

Dolphin isn't nearly as straight forward as you think, as evident by the compatibility list and the tons of howtos to make certain games work.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
WHY?

I would buy a Wii U so I could play games like The Last Story and Xenoblade in HD. If it turns out that I can't, then I won't buy one.
It can play games like TLS and Xenoblade in HD. Just not TLS and Xenoblade.

Banned
I may get shit for this but I'm gonna say it. I'm I the only one that is all "Mario'd out" right now? I love the games to death but between November 2011 and November 2012 we got Mario Kart 7, Mario Tennis, SM3DL, NSMB2, and NSMBU. Hell, if you go back to 2010 we can through in Galaxy 2 in there too.

I know those games are mostly different genres and different tyPes of games, but I'm kinda worn out on Mario, especially 2D Mario. Granted, I am going to purchase NSMBU and 2 for my 3DS, but I think I dont want to see 3D Mario (EAD Tokyo) for the Wii U till at least 2014 or 2015. Let the B tier franchises handle the first couple years, the star fox, f-zero, Kirby, Metroid, Donkey kong, fire emblem handle the first couple years and than in 2015 hit us with SSB4, Zelda, and then Mario.

Triton55

Well with the 3DS Nintendo had already blown their load. So much so that some games are still not out.

If I recall the Wii event was very much focused on what you would experience out of the box, so the channels and Wii Sports.

True. So the hype for this conference rests on the hope that the post-launch window software line-up being a complete mystery will counteract their track record of Sept. conferences focusing just on launch details and online/OS features.
Hmm... My guess is that we'll likely see some Japanese 3rd party games + COD, but probably no big 1st party reveals. Hope I'm wrong though.

I may get shit for this but I'm gonna say it. I'm I the only one that is all "Mario'd out" right now? I love the games to death but between November 2011 and November 2012 we got Mario Kart 7, Mario Tennis, SM3DL, NSMB2, and NSMBU. Hell, if you go back to 2010 we can through in Galaxy 2 in there too.

Well if you're a 3DS owner in 2012 and you don't like Mario, Kid Icarus is pretty much your only consolation. I do agree with you. I love Mario, but Nintendo does have other franchises.

$250 isn't cheap relative to what this thing is capable of. It's bordering expensive.

$300 for this is comparable to $600 for a PS3 in 2006.
woah woah woah

I don't like how Nintendo is cheaping out on the system either, but this is a ridiculous comparison. I'd say $400 would be the equivalent. A $300 wouldn't be a good idea, but it's not the end of the world.

I know those games are mostly different genres and different tyPes of games, but I'm kinda worn out on Mario, especially 2D Mario. Granted, I am going to purchase NSMBU and 2 for my 3DS, but I think I dont want to see 3D Mario (EAD Tokyo) for the Wii U till at least 2014 or 2015. Let the B tier franchises handle the first couple years, the star fox, f-zero, Kirby, Metroid, Donkey kong, fire emblem handle the first couple years and than in 2015 hit us with SSB4, Zelda, and then Mario.

In what universe are the franchises you listed considered as "b-tier", especially Metroid and Donkey Kong...?

jerd

$250 isn't cheap relative to what this thing is capable of. It's bordering expensive.

$300 for this is comparable to $600 for a PS3 in 2006.

I love statements like this. Only on GAF can we simultaneously complain that we don't know anything about what the system is capable of, as well as complaining about it being too expensive for what it is capable of.

Nibel

I kinda am too but don't tell anyone.

FKtaU.gif

D_prOdigy

WHY?

I would buy a Wii U so I could play games like The Last Story and Xenoblade in HD. If it turns out that I can't, then I won't buy one.

Is this a GAF meme or something? It was literally one of the first things confirmed about the system donkey's years ago.

AzaK

Well if you're a 3DS owner in 2012 and you don't like Mario, Kid Icarus is pretty much your only consolation. I do agree with you. I love Mario, but Nintendo does have other franchises.

This is why I'm selling my 3DS. I'm not a 2d Mario player, and while I have Kid Icarus I think it's broken control-wise and have hardly played it. Other than that, we get the occasional original 3DS eShop title, but it's usually some casual iOS type rubbish.

I'd rather sell the thing and put the money towards Wii U or an iPhone 5

This is why I'm selling my 3DS. I'm not a 2d Mario player, and while I have Kid Icarus I think it's broken control-wise and have hardly played it. Other than that, we get the occasional original 3DS eShop title, but it's usually some casual iOS type rubbish.

I'd rather sell the thing and put the money towards Wii U or an iPhone 5

In 2012.

There's still so much more to come. And Kid Icarus is brilliant once you get into it. Easily my GOTY. I would honestly have a little bit more patience, I saw so many people who sold their 3DS when it had very few games then rebuy one later on in the year for Mario Kart and 3D Land.

It's not about the hardware. It's just inaccurate and therefore prone to break things. Nintendo would need to test every single Wii game released, every single version, to make sure everything behaves and performs as expected. Every other title would require specific hacks and tweaks, and tons of games still wouldn't work correctly or at all.

Dolphin isn't nearly as straight forward as you think, as evident by the compatibility list and the tons of howtos to make certain games work.

Thanks, that's basically what I thought, too tedious to be workable.

Seriously though? This has been known since last year's E3! No console does that.

All N64 games on GCN and Wii are up-rezzed to 640x480 (versus native 320x240, aside from the select few N64 games that are 640x480 native).

Obviously, that's different from direct backwards compatibility offered by PS3/360 upscaling PS2/x-box games to HD. The real problem is that while the Wii U is obviously CAPABLE of such proper upscaling, it would be a feature that needs to be constantly updated/worked on. Look at Dolphin, yes most games upscale and look great, but still not all and this is with over 6 years of development.

Now imagine having to fund a team for the lifetime of the Wii U just to make sure upscaled games that they no longer make any money on work. It's the same reason why Sony dropped work on it's full software backwards compatibility on PS3 until they could find a way to make money off of it (via PS2 classic sales on PSN)

Oersted

Iwata's comment about the Wii U's price came before the 3DS armageddon and thus isn't really applicable to current Nintendo mindsets.

stop posting what i think. I also have to add: didn´t he only said "expect/don´t expect xy"? it sounded more like we don´t know yet, so better prepare for everything.

Banned
In what universe are the franchises you listed considered as "b-tier", especially Metroid and Donkey Kong...?
Sales wise, console attachtment rate wise, marketing wise. Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros and Pokemon are the big Nintendo franchises that sell like gangbusters and are reasons for why people purchase a Nintendo console. I mean, I love Metroid to death and I would purchase a Wii U just for a Metroid, but how many non-Nintendo fans or the main Nintendo audience
(let's face it, the NintendoGaf community is a niche community and small compared to the millions of Nintendo fans)
will buy a Wii U because of Pikmin 3, or a Star Fox or Kirby game?

I will admit that Donkey Kong is probably back in the "A-tier" because DKCR sold 6 million worldwide, but the franchise was gimmicky on the GameCube and didn't do as well as its SNES or N64 counterparts.

Edit: Also, do you notice how Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart and SSB (Sakurai is heading Namco for the next smash) all have their own dedicated studios? Do you think Nintendo would ever outsource a Pokemon, Mario or Zelda to a western studio like DKRC was? Or Team Ninja doing a Mario or Zelda? No. That's what I meant by A and B tiers.

jmizzal

I think as long as your hype level isnt expecting Zelda, 3D Mario, Retro game, Monolth soft game and Mother 4, I think people have a right to get hyped.

Nintendo has been silent on WiiU since E3 all we got is a few previews and very few leaks.

Getting the price, date, OS, full online detail/ eshop and a few new games is very hype worthy.

Plus we are gonna get Japanese games, ND in Japan for 3DS always had Japan 3rd party games.

Gaborn

It still feels odd to me that tomorrow at least half of the eternal speculation might be put to rest.

Seriously, this is the BARE minimum of what I expect at the conference. Leaving out ALL the meat.

Price. Release date. More on Nintendo Network/Miiverse and how the interface looks. Quick footage of more of the Nintendo Land stuff since I know there have been some minigames that haven't been shown much and possibly at all. I'm also going to say Nintendo will expand on the NFC tech since they haven't talked much about it practically, just saying the tech would be there (and the leaked Rayman trailer). Showing off the capability to scan your credit card into the pad to pay for DLC would be pretty compelling to people that haven't been following things closely. Also probably more footage of known games.

BEYOND that I think they're going to have a few surprises for us with games and (I really really really really hope) a sizzle reel of upcoming unknown games. Can you imagine the reaction if the Wii U was the first console GTA 5 was OFFICIALLY announced for? (not saying it will be, but I would be COMPLETELY not shocked)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
This might have been posted before, but considering we are so close to a release date announcement, more speculation probably won't hurt. Document is from yesterday.

Engrish translation by Google:

Investment advice:Foxconn (2354)
Major product lines include Nintendo Wii U, 3DS LL, iPad mini, the iPhone 5, Macbook 13 "with
Retina Display will be half of the year, one by one come out stronger sales momentum, consolidated revenue of 12.158 billion in August, took to iPhone
Nintendo Wii U is expected in mid-September, the new 13-inch Macbook products will come out in October, September revenue can be Create the next new high this year.

Original:

投資建議:
鴻準(2354)主要產品線包括任天堂Wii U、3DS LL、iPad mini、iPhone 5、Macbook 13"with
Retina Display 都將於下半年逐一問世,營收動能轉強,8 月合併營收121.58 億,接下來iPhone
5、任天堂Wii U 可望於9 月中發表,新款13 吋Macbook 產品也將於10 月問世,9 月營收可
再創下今年新高。

Source: http://eim.entrust.com.tw/files/fin...354/晨報.pdf?0C255522112507042725

This by 99.9% certainty does not mean that Wii U will launch on the 15th of September, but more likely when Foxconn will receive components or start assembling the same. The wording is kinda weird, but it's Google translate so that's expected. Nothing major really, but I thought it could be noteworthy.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Tweets from @TwoTribesGames

Regardless of what Nintendo decides to show tomorrow, we'll have a some Wii U specific footage to share of Toki Tori 2!

Actually it's real world footage featuring the resident @TwoTribesGames hand model @MeintevdS ;)

PhantomR

Banned
I think as long as your hype level isnt expecting Zelda, 3D Mario, Retro game, Monolth soft game and Mother 4, I think people have a right to get hyped.

Nintendo has been silent on WiiU since E3 all we got is a few previews and very few leaks.

Getting the price, date, OS, full online detail/ eshop and a few new games is very hype worthy.

Plus we are gonna get Japanese games, ND in Japan for 3DS always had Japan 3rd party games.

I approve this message.

Pociask

Tweets from @TwoTribesGames

Regardless of what Nintendo decides to show tomorrow, we'll have a some Wii U specific footage to share of Toki Tori 2!

Actually it's real world footage featuring the resident @TwoTribesGames hand model @MeintevdS ;)

Everything good locked behind NDA's vindicated!

CHOO CHOO

That's pretty neat. Still have little desire to play as my Mii in Mario, though.

Tell me about it. Me and the Wife love playing NSMBW, but we'd kill each other all the time to the point we'd get into small fights over it. Just think of the horror if I happen to accidently jump on my wife's head and make her fall to her death, but now it has her face on it instead of some faceless toad? Dear god, I'll have to avoid getting it then.

D-e-f-

Banned
Crazy last minute predictions for Japanese 3rd party stuff

could be retail or eShop:

Circle of Mana: Shapely Rounded (Square Enix)
The World Ends With You: Courageously Standard (Square Enix)
Mega Man Universe (Capcom)
Dragon's Dogma: The Ultimate Breath of Fire EX (Capcom)
Fatal Frame/Project Zero V: Phearphul Photography (Tecmo Koei)
YAIBA: You're All Inredibly Boned, America (Tecmo Koei/Comcept [Inafune's game])
Tales of Symphonia HD Collection (Namco Bandai)
Gundam: Gun, Damn U! (Namco Bandai)
Seaman 2: Unleashed (SEGA)
U R A Phantasy Star (SEGA)
Love Plus U (Konami)

I always chuckle at people who can afford a Wii U but not a cheap 2nd TV? I am guessing you can get something for like 99 bucks.

I think the only place the TV replacement thing will play well is Japan. and IMO it's an example of Nintendo making bad decisions based on the small Japanese market.

That's the market where Nintendo makes the most profits now, considering everyone and their mother is crazy for smartphones and other competing devices on the west. The japanese market looks like it's a lot more healthy for a company like Nintendo than the west.

I will ignore your second TV comment because honestly it's pretty stupid, anyone can see the advantages of being able to play away from the TV.

Hakai

Tell me about it. Me and the Wife love playing NSMBW, but we'd kill each other all the time to the point we'd get into small fights over it. Just think of the horror if I happen to accidently jump on my wife's head and make her fall to her death, but now it has her face on it instead of some faceless toad? Dear god, I'll have to avoid getting it then.

i-know-that-feel-bro.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom