• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
$250 isn't cheap relative to what this thing is capable of. It's bordering expensive.

$300 for this is comparable to $600 for a PS3 in 2006.

Graphically, maybe. Looking at the technology going into the Gamerpad, and you're stretching it.

Attend to your studies, fella. We will keep the seat warm for your comeback.

haha, thanks!

About to head out for lunch, and then to the library. *sigh*

Seik

Banned
Not sure what's funny. Beyond the hardware being dated it's Nintendo, so we can also assume that the online and other features that are standard on 360/PS3 will be pretty far behind.

Still, 300$ is not 600$. Its a next gen console, that you want it or not, don't expect Nintendo to give it for free.

I just think the people who are expecting this thing to cost as much as the Wii did ($250) are going to be disappointed because:

1. All signs are pointing to a $300+ price point
2. Iwata himself said the Wii U is going to cost more than the Wii did
3. Iwata said "the Wii U won't be cheap" and $250 sounds cheap to me for a console

So based on those three points I would say the Wii U won't be lower than $300.

On the other hand Nintendo has also said that they won't make the same mistake that they did with the 3DS pricing and that they don't want to have to price drop the Wii U for some time. I still expect it to be $300, but I don't think that $250 is out of question yet. The Wii showed them that it's a price that the mainstream is willing to pay for a console.

I wonder if that balance-board-with-distance-sensors patent application published last month, has something to do with these balance board "activities".

Maybe Nintendo realized that it's easier to "emulate steps" not with pressure data, but distance data?

Edit: It's not gonna look/feel any less stupid, but maybe it won't require as much effort from the user.

Banned
$250 isn't cheap relative to what this thing is capable of. It's bordering expensive.

$300 for this is comparable to $600 for a PS3 in 2006.
No it isn't. That's ignorant. You don't know what it's capable of and the $600 PS3 was hilariously bad pricing considering it had lackluster software at launch.

Speak for yourself. I was expecting something big for the end because they'd shown nothing big/mind-blowing until then. Similarly I'm expecting them to blow me away tomorrow, because - quite frankly - they've shown us (almost) nothing for 2013 and plenty of big publishers have nothing or almost nothing announced for it right now, including Capcom, Konami and Square-Enix.

They can't expect me to be hyped if they have (almost) no support whatsoever - not even ports - by 80% of the industry.

I've given up hope to be blown away for now and hence I'm not expecting some crazy redemption tomorrow, but I'm certainly not happy about it. I feel the same, obviously. Overall, a ridiculously underwhelming way to start off a new gen. Biggest offender though is that they don't even make up with proper 1st party efforts. Usually it's the Nintendo support that vindicates their consoles regardless of 3rd party situations, but now it's pretty much ... well, Pikmin and some cash-ins not worth mentioning until next year. Some announcements like P-100 and Rayman have been nice and this years unveiling would have been okay if we had already been some time into this gen, but in a launch year I can't bring myself to join this contrived enthusiasm for a oh so ,,great'' launch window.

Pocks

I expected the Wii U to be around $350 last year, but it's sounding more like $300 this year. And according to Bloomberg, Nintendo would need to sell the Wii U at $300 to be profitable day 1 (like all hardware from Nintendo).

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...st-phone-led-by-mario-s-super-wii-u-tech.html

I just think the people who are expecting this thing to cost as much as the Wii did ($250) are going to be disappointed because:

1. All signs are pointing to a $300+ price point
2. Iwata himself said the Wii U is going to cost more than the Wii did http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306659/iwata-on-wii-u-price-this-is-not-going-to-be-cheap/
3. Iwata said "the Wii U won't be cheap" and $250 sounds cheap to me for a console http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306659/iwata-on-wii-u-price-this-is-not-going-to-be-cheap/

So based on those three points I would say the Wii U won't be lower than $300.

Edit: I added links.

There is an important distinction here. He said it would be more than 20,000 yen in Japan. Let's not forget that Wii Sports was not included. That leaves plenty of room for a 25,000 yen price point in Japan as the base model, which would translate to $250 in the states.

I know that's not the actual the currency exchange rate, but they don't quite follow that to a T anyhow.

With that in mind, the rumored 250/300/350 SKUs are sounding pretty good right about now.

It's also worth noting that the report is from 2011, when the 3DS was still priced at $250. Even the 3DS XL is at $200 right now, giving a $50 buffer zone.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...her-new-console-can-repeat-wii-s-success.html

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Not would, could?
Would it be 480p/480i instead, then, if it's not 720p (for I do not anticipate many games on Wii U running in 1080p)? Or has Wii U "support" for something obscure like 576p/576i as well?

The_Lump

Banned
Just got back from the ND thread. Wow. My hype levels are at 100% saturation.

Thanks Nibel for putting me in the pic. Awesome job btw :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm so excited to learn more about Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U as the showcase titles for all three Nintendo events today.

I'd pay $350 for this thing as-is. The pad will be a lifesaver in our house as we only have one TV and five people competing for it at times.

(but I'd pay double that if a new F-Zero is announced tomorrow)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, get off the forums and find something to do or else this will feel like a very long day!
I usually stay up late and watch Cheers, Spin City, Fringe and some other shows that air during the night in Sweden. After that I'll go to bed and wake up just as the broadcast is about to begin. But yeah, for those that are planning on staying awake until the event commences it might be healthy with some other activity than just sitting in front of the computer.

It shall be interesting to see exactly how much Nintendoland will be promoted. Regardless of Reggie believing their E3 2012 presentation was a success, they musn't have ignored the "public" outcry over that title taking up too much space. Maybe they will connect it to Miiverse and still have a lengthy explanation though.

I'd pay $350 for this thing as-is. The pad will be a lifesaver in our house as we only have one TV and five people competing for it at times.

(but I'd pay double that if a new F-Zero is announced tomorrow)

I always chuckle at people who can afford a Wii U but not a cheap 2nd TV? I am guessing you can get something for like 99 bucks.

I think the only place the TV replacement thing will play well is Japan. and IMO it's an example of Nintendo making bad decisions based on the small Japanese market.

Hiltz

So has it been confirmed that they will not show off/ announce any 2013 games at these events?

The only official comment Nintendo has made is Iwata stating that a couple of new third-party games would be shown. No word on new 1st party stuff and quite frankly, I'd keep my expectations low.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Too late, I already told Kotaku.

That gives me a good eight months to cover my tracks.

So has it been confirmed that they will not show off/ announce any 2013 games at these events?

I think Iwata did say they'd be showing off beyond the launch line-up, but given Pikmin 3 and P-100 probably maybe slipped into 2013, it could be those.

As per my ongoing cynicism, I honestly wouldn't expect much in the way of new announcements, not beyond stuff like Black Ops II. Launch goodies will be the focus.

JoeInky

I always chuckle at people who can afford a Wii U but not a cheap 2nd TV? I am guessing you can get something for like 99 bucks.

I think the only place the TV replacement thing will play well is Japan. and IMO it's an example of Nintendo making bad decisions based on the small Japanese market.

But if he bought a second TV instead of a WiiU he wouldn't be able to play the WiiU!

I don't think anyone who's saying they're going to enjoy the off-tv-play feature are saying that's the only thing they're buying the console for regardless of what software gets released for it.

Hiltz

Rösti;42031031 said:
I usually stay up late and watch Cheers, Spin City, Fringe and some other shows that air during the night in Sweden. After that I'll go to bed and wake up just as the broadcast is about to begin. But yeah, for those that are planning on staying awake until the event commences it might be healthy with some other activity than just sitting in front of the computer.

It shall be interesting to see exactly how much Nintendoland will be promoted. Regardless of Reggie believing their E3 2012 presentation was a success, they musn't have ignored the "public" outcry over that title taking up too much space. Maybe they will connect it to Miiverse and still have a lengthy explanation though.

I think Wii Sports had a live demo back in Sept. 2006 to show off bowling and boxing which were not revealed at E3 that year. Nintendo will likely do something like that for Nintendo Land since we obviously haven't seen several of the other game attractions. Let's just pray Nintendo doesn't close the show with another weak Nintendo Land fireworks display.

Hakai

Rösti;42031031 said:

I did not want to be awake until there but here where I live is still 2h50 PM, and the Japanese Conference is 4 AM, So I still have a long work day and a couple sleep time until it happens =/

Diablos

Wii retail software is fully backwards compatible with the Wii U, but as of this current moment, they do not upscale to HD resolution. All Wii Virtual Console and WiiWare titles will also be able to be transfered to your Wii U console (and presumably to your new eShop account as well).
WHY?

I would buy a Wii U so I could play games like The Last Story and Xenoblade in HD. If it turns out that I can't, then I won't buy one.

Money's not the issue, space is. I don't want a TV in the kids' rooms and we only have one living room. Where else should I put a TV, outside?

So the entire GamePad is a bad decision, or just the streaming aspect?

Triton55

So, at the Wii and 3DS September launch info conferences... I don't really remember there being any software reveals. Were there even any trailers during those?

D-e-f-

Banned
WHY?

I would buy a Wii U so I could play games like The Last Story and Xenoblade in HD. If it turns out that I can't, then I won't buy one.

Seriously though? This has been known since last year's E3! No console does that. If you expected Wii games to look like they do on a PC using Dolphin that you were smoking so really strong stuff.

Best case scenario is they will actually upscale (and not be rendered at a higher resolution which is what everyone seems to assume this means) with some "smooth edges" filter (like PS2 games do on PS3). It might look a little sharper but it will never look like a proper HD-remaster that uses freshly rendered higher resolution assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom