• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Listening to non-wub version.

Edit: Maybe there wasn't as much announcer voice as I thought.. I think the video was geared towards those moments anyway.

I hope there is a way to disable the on-screen text, however.

MrBig

Anyone got a link to a brief overview/summary of cryptum/glasslands/primordium? I have them but they're quite a ways back in my queue of 56874235 other great books to read and I'd like to know the general details before going into the H4 campaign.

halo4s1_cortana_photo_01_dp.jpg
are-you-a-wizard.jpg

Ok so now only people who buy the season pass from XBL get 3 extra helmets? This despite the fact that I will be getting a season pass in the Limited Edition?

I'm already not getting FOTUS because of the way they handle the limited edition consoles.

I am a firm believer in capitalism but I also believe in good business practices and treating customers fairly. This is ridiculous. Companies that want to make money usually want to retain customers. One of the best ways to retain customers is to treat them well. I'm paying 100 dollars for Halo 4, a steel case, and 3 map packs yet someone who only pays 85 dollars for THE SAME THING will get content I don't?

Ken

Why the hell would you be sorry? LOL. The toys look cheap and nasty.

Just in case the sculptor reads this thread!

Ok so now only people who buy the season pass from XBL get 3 extra helmets? This despite the fact that I will be getting a season pass in the Limited Edition?

I'm already not getting FOTUS because of the way they handle the limited edition consoles.

I am a firm believer in capitalism but I also believe in good business practices and treating customers fairly. This is ridiculous. Companies that want to make money usually want to retain customers. One of the best ways to retain customers is to treat them well. I'm paying 100 dollars for Halo 4, a steel case, and 3 map packs yet someone who only pays 85 dollars for THE SAME THING will get content I don't?

I'm paying $80 for DOA5 and getting a steelcase and 15 swimsuits huehuehue.

senador

Banned
New weapon sounds are decent, though from that video it didn't seem like they sounded like Covenant weapons have. Storm Rifle sounded very human, PP kind of did, Carbine was right on the edge of not sounding alien. Hmm. I like the new emphasis on making the guns sound meaty and powerful, but I'd also still like them to sound alien with higher pitches and lasery sounds. I imagine it'll sound better when I can play it at home on good sound.

Yeah, those figures look shitty. I won't even give them a 2nd look. McFarlane? Gotta be. The BR actually looks nice though. The few McFarlane figures I have are really hard to move around and just never look that great. Meh.

Don't know if any other UK guys have had this but I was emailed earlier by amazon uk to say they had tried to take payment for Thursday War but the card had expired. I've changed the order to use a newer card but haven't had another email yet to say payment has gone through.

Basically it looks like amazon uk is shipping Thursday War.

Whoa, isn't that way early?

The Crawler looks great, the rest are so-so, and Cortana just looks bad.

Cool, thanks! Im loving the Beam Rifle sound.

Makes me think how badass it would've been if the Brute class of weaponry were in this game as well. 4 different classes would've been SICK! Would've been cool to see 343's attempt at making the Spiker powerful with these crazy sound effects too..

Good ones:
Carbine
OK:
Fuel Rod, Sword.
Meh:
The rest.

The Beam Rifle sounds too weak. The Plasma Pistol and Storm Rifle don't sound like plasma weapons. The Concussive Rifle sounds weak. The Needler is too mechanical. The Hammer has this stupid clang sounds.

100% agree. A lot of the weapons in this game sound too mechanical and metallic.. even the plasma weapons.

For anyone dissing MacFarlane, those figures are no where near the quality of work that comes from MacFarlane toys. Just do some quick searches on that site if you disagree.

I don't understand their process here one iota. Just make the map pack content the same across the board.

Bsigg12

New weapon sounds are decent, though from that video it didn't seem like they sounded like Covenant weapons have. Storm Rifle sounded very human, PP kind of did, Carbine was right on the edge of not sounding alien. Hmm. I like the new emphasis on making the guns sound meaty and powerful, but I'd also still like them to sound alien with higher pitches and lasery sounds. I imagine it'll sound better when I can play it at home on good sound.

Yeah, those figures look shitty. I won't even give them a 2nd look. McFarlane? Gotta be. The BR actually looks nice though. The few McFarlane figures I have are really hard to move around and just never look that great. Meh.

Straight from the Bulletin
The audio for all Covenant weapons went through several iterations until they felt a bit more punchy and visceral, while still sounding alien.

I'd like to hear the other iterations to see how much they varied to land on these. I personally like them because it does make the weapons sound much more badass to run alongside the UNSC ones.

That was not the argument, the argument, and it's not really an argument but an indisputable economic fact, is that bundled special edition consoles are - in the vast majority, - being sold to first time consumers, and by extension, not hardcore Halo collectors. The economics of even being able to offer an LE console mean that we can't make them in small enough numbers to create something solely for collectors - and the LE, Ragnaork and Bobs protests aside, is actually too expensive to bundle with it - all of that content and packaging - including the map pass - have to be paid for internally - including some licensing and royalties and so on.

I have explained this a few times and I am not suggesting it's a perfect solution. Far from it, because for some collectors it presents an annoying hurdle. But it's either the way it's done generally today, or we have to price it so high that neither constituency would pay for it. The margins on consoles and in particular special editions, are not big enough to absorb extraneous costs.

I wish it were not that way, but that's the practical reality and has nothing to do with some venal or mean spirited decision anywhere in the chain.
But we all know that the LE stuff isn't actually worth $40 extra. It would cost next to nothing for the console to ship with the LE. Is there something wrong with first time customers getting the Limited Edition and the console?

Also the pack in games with consoles always come in balck dvd cases with a blank isbn that says not for resale. This means (in theory) that people can't sell the game back to gamestop.

Woorloog

Banned
100% agree. A lot of the weapons in this game sound too mechanical and metallic.. even the plasma weapons.

For anyone dissing MacFarlane, those figures are no where near the quality of work that comes from MacFarlane toys. Just do some quick searches on that site if you don't believe me.
I can understand 343i thinking "pew pew" sounds like toy guns but we're talking about mysterious energy weapons here, not metallic, chemically propelled projectile weapons, alien weapons might just as well sound like human toys. Reach did fine job with Covie weapon sounds, especially those featured in previous Halo games, it made them sound a bit more "real" without changing them too much.
The sounds could have been tweaked to be more realistic (for example, plasma could be electric sounding (being ionised gas)) without making them too... uh... something.

Bsigg12

But we all know that the LE stuff isn't actually worth $40 extra. It would cost next to nothing for the console to ship with the LE.

I'm wondering if you could even fit that into the current 360 retail boxes. Microsoft has the box packed tight to cut down on costs. The only thing that ever changes about it is what is printed on it so having to make a one off box specifically for a limited edition console seems really uneconomical for Microsoft's bottom line.

FyreWulff

But we all know that the LE stuff isn't actually worth $40 extra. It would cost next to nothing for the console to ship with the LE.

Have to make one more post. Space wise, sure. Money wise, each of those map packs and extra content that come with the LEs cost royalties and other fees for each console sold. Consoles are thin-margin and including certain content could actually make the console lose money on each sale.

If for example, Certain Affinity is working on those maps, they are owed a royalty fee. And the studio that made the FUD content. And maybe Bungie is owed royalties on certain things. Even though the code is on a piece of paper that cost 5 cents to print there's still real money and real implications behind it.

If people don't like it then they should really vote with their wallet and not purchase the game, instead of going "IMMA SO MAD AT YOU MICROSOFT" and buying it anyway.

I'm wondering if you could even fit that into the current 360 retail boxes. Microsoft has the box packed tight to cut down on costs. The only thing that ever changes about it is what is printed on it so having to make a one off box specifically for a limited edition console seems really uneconomical for Microsoft's bottom line.

Around Christmas there are bundles of consoles and controllers in stores wrapped in plastic wrap. MS could ok stores to offer a bundle bound with plastic wrap.

It is not an economics or packaging concern. It is MS being unwilling to go the extra mile for their customers. Simple as that.

Edit: I should rephrase this: The economic impact would be small, MS just wants to be as profitable as possible and is thus unwilling to go the extra mile at the cost of a incredibly tiny loss of profit.

Yea but you are already paying 400 dollars for an Xbox thats worth 200. So they could at least give you a reacharound and let you have the codes...

Its a big heaping plate of hot garbage. Its disgusting consumer practices. You should be ashamed if you buy into it. Shame on you.

Flipyap

For anyone dissing MacFarlane, those figures are no where near the quality of work that comes from MacFarlane toys. Just do some quick searches on that site if you disagree.
That's true, but I'm afraid those days may be long gone. The quality of their toys has been dropping steadily since the late Halo 3 waves. Some of the Anniversary toys are pretty atrocious.

These things sound like they were made by someone who either doesn't like the way Halo sounds, or has never heard it before.
Nothing about them sounds "badass" either. The Pew Rifle sound is simply comical (which would be fine, if that was the intention, the Covenant does use some silly weapons).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Around Christmas there are bundles of consoles and controllers in stores wrapped in plastic wrap. MS could ok stores to offer a bundle bound with plastic wrap.

It is not an economics or packaging concern. It is MS being unwilling to go the extra mile for their customers. Simple as that.

You are objectively, categorically and completely wrong about this. It's not ideal, but it is actually for all the reasons you state it isn't.

Have to make one more post. Space wise, sure. Money wise, each of those map packs and extra content that come with the LEs cost royalties and other fees for each console sold. Consoles are thin-margin and including certain content could actually make the console lose money on each sale.

If for example, Certain Affinity is working on those maps, they are owed a royalty fee. And the studio that made the FUD content. And maybe Bungie is owed royalties on certain things. Even though the code is on a piece of paper that cost 5 cents to print there's still real money and real implications behind it.

If people don't like it then they should really vote with their wallet and not purchase the game, instead of going "IMMA SO MAD AT YOU MICROSOFT" and buying it anyway.
They could pack it in but they aren't. Also at this point in the 360 lifespan the margins aren't too thin anymore.

If they were concerned about royalties they would make the limited edition actually "limited" instead of printing 12million copies that just sit on store shelves.

Gui_PT

You are objectively, categorically and completely wrong about this. It's not ideal, but it is actually for all the reasons you state it isn't.

Is it too late for you to print "Stick your tongue in the disc's hole to simulate a nipple" on the 2nd disc?

Remember this? http://www.pcworld.com/article/134200/article.html

You could argue they had to do it, but I could argue that they went the extra mile with the three year warranty.

I'm sure you have your reasons. I just don't agree with the decisions made at the higher level. Not your fault. Nothing I can say will change it. I'm not angry. I realize that the benefits of putting in a standard edition outweigh the alternatives. I just wish that people would cut their losses for the sake of the customer. I probably should have re-prashed my original post to say that while there are economic reasons I wish they would cut their loses and go the extra mile. My apologies.

I just simply cannot fathom why the dlc is distributed as is. A good number of codes will end up on ebay at inflated prices. Why not just sell the additional DLC that is in the Console or LE on the marketplace and actually make money instead of losing potential customers to ebay?

If they were concerned about royalties they would make the limited edition actually "limited" instead of printing 12million copies that just sit on store shelves.

hahah isn't that funny how we as a society have come to ruin terms with clear meanings? Now these days the word "limited" isn't even what "limited" used to mean.. now it just means something with a higher price and different features so it "limits" YOU from getting it!

..or in this case limits Halo fans from fair purchases!

zingggggg

stephen08

It makes financial sense about not being able to include the LE in the console but that is only if you look at the console as completely fixed in terms of included products and price.

i.e. The console comes with 2 controllers, why not make it 1 and include the LE? Surely that's enough to justify the cost.

Or hell, raise the price by the $25 to absord the cost of the digital content.

I guess it all depends who they are targeting with this bundle. This late in the console's life cycle though I can't imagine many people will be buying this as their first 360. Maybe I am totally off base there though.

I will never understand how this pricing works.

This:

is 399. It comes with a
320GB Xbox + Controller (300 dollars)
Kinect (100 dollars)
Star Wars Kinect (49.99)
Which comes out 450 dollars

But then on the other hand, this

is 399. It comes with a
Controller 2 (60)
Halo 4 (60)
Which comes out to 420 dollars

So uh, why is the star wars console a better deal then microsoft's flagship title?

Or maybe he played the game and realized that hey, the game ain't half bad. But no, it must be because he's sucking 343's dick & getting money under the table for his shills.

I'm just trying to ruffle feathers at this point, if you want unadulterated truth. Sure I'm on team slrp at this point but I'm not blind to criticism; I was genuinely hoping that the helmet/DLC fiasco would be cleared up with everyone getting scanner, et al, but I was being optimistic to try and counteract the negative over reaction.
Now that it's been clarified, I can express my disapproval with it. I know it isn't game breaking or a huge deal, but I think withholding is silly.

He admitted he was being a wind-up...

I think, on the whole, that Halo 4 looks great, I can't wait to sink innumerable hours into its multiplayer. There's probably only two or three people who genuinely think the game looks like a bad videogame. Practically everyone in this thread thinks the game aint half bad. That doesn't mean that people can't raise concerns over certain aspects of the game or its marketing/pricing/distribution of pre-order content etc. If you can't voice concerns over questionable decisions on a forum then the forum is worthless.

The Covenant weapon sounds are pretty good. Loving the new Needler sound. The only disappointment is the Beam Rifle.

Also I have to say I'm sooooooo glad I don't give a fig about armour and weapon skins. Makes my purchasing decision so much clearer (whichever store is selling for the cheapest, the sanest option).

Will there be any benefit to buying the season pass though (other than a slight saving)? Will they get the maps a week earlier for example? I'm tempted by it but I've got an itch that there'll be some chicanery down the line when the DLC is individually released that will make early adopters feel swindled slightly.

I will never understand how this pricing works.

This:

is 399. It comes with a
Kinect (100 dollars)
Star Wars Kinect (49.99)
Which comes out 450 dollars

But then on the other hand, this

is 399. It comes with a
Controller 2 (60)
Halo 4 (60)
Which comes out to 420 dollars

So uh, why is the star wars console a better deal then microsoft's flagship title?

It is as simple as this: They want to make as much money from each bundle sold as possible. Including an LE would result in less profit from each bundle sold. They don't want to sacrifice the extra profit for the sake of the minority of Halo fans that would buy the console. It is the most rational call to make because the goal of a business is to make money.

On the other hand, I agree with you. I would rather provide a better product to my customers for less profit. They could do it but they won't. This call would be easy to make seeing as how MS is a huge company and the loss would be relatively small and would have very little impact on the profitability of the company over all.

In short: Business decision.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Why would anyone in the world buy the Halo 4 bundle.

Wait a few weeks after it comes out, and just buy the console/controllers on Ebay.

Good to watch. Sound design for the weapons is a mixed bag. I really enjoy the audio for the Carbine and the Storm Rifle, but there are others that rub me the wrong way. Most of the sound designs in Halo 4 have a metallic clang to them – it's a theme, really – and I think there's too much of that in the Plasma Pistol. It doesn't sit right with what the weapon fires (plasma) and its history.

Good to watch. Sound design for the weapons is a mixed bag. I really enjoy the audio for the Carbine and the Storm Rifle, but there are others that rub me the wrong like. Most of the sound design in Halo 4 has a metallic clang to it, and I think there's too much of that in the Plasma Pistol. It doesn't sit right with what the weapon fires (plasma) and its history.

Ill have to rewatch but I agree, the weapons sounded wrong, the audio itself was great and the quality was there, but the aesthetic didnt feel right.

Ill probably adjust to it within the day of release and never notice it again, but I do think I prefer the older sounds, especially for weapons like the Beam Rifle.

Really dislike the Beam Rifle redesign btw, the scope and weapon looked a lot better in Halo 2 and 3.

Im actually pretty surprised we essentially know the full weapon sandbox, I have things to say about it but I should probably wait until I can put together a better post - im kind of dissapointed by how cut and dry it seems. Theres nothing really alien/ unique in there - I kind of wish the Forerunner weapons where more unique.

BigShow36

Why would anyone in the world buy the Halo 4 bundle.

Wait a few weeks after it comes out, and just buy the console/controllers on Ebay.

Why in the world would anyone buy any of this crap they're complaining about?

People recognize that the LE comes with a bunch of garbage, and then complain that they're going to buy it but don't think its worth what they're paying? None of that makes sense.

JackHerer

There's something about all the weapon sounds that make them all sound really similar. I dunno how to explain it, but there doesn't seem to be much difference between the plasma weapons and the human weapons. The plasma pistol especially sounds really, human-y.

I thought the same. The plasma pistol especially sounds like a human weapon and the change is very drastic from previous iterations.

Woorloog

Banned
There's something about all the weapon sounds that make them all sound really similar. I dunno how to explain it, but there doesn't seem to be much difference between the plasma weapons and the human weapons. The plasma pistol especially sounds really, human-y.

Sounds kinda like taser. At least what i image a taser sounds like.
Not good, should be more alien or unusual at least.

Gui_PT

Good to watch. Sound design for the weapons is a mixed bag. I really enjoy the audio for the Carbine and the Storm Rifle, but there are others that rub me the wrong like. Most of the sound design in Halo 4 has a metallic clang to it, and I think there's too much of that in the Plasma Pistol. It doesn't sit right with what the weapon fires (plasma) and its history.

Only one I dislike is the needler.

I know it's their take on things but it doesn't really sound like a needler.

Top Bottom