• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoramon089 Rumor: WiiU GPU is a modified Radeon E6760 [AMD: We haven't said anything]

I'll wait till reviews thank you very much. No need for the fanwankery. If ZombiU is a good game it will prove it by itself when people can play the full game, not by trying to force people to like it.

Who exactly is forcing you to like it? Since when are reviews the sole way of determining a game is for you or not? You're already judging the game saying its a Ubisoft launch game. Assuming it another Red Steel without even doing the proper research to know that its a completely different team behind this game. Completely avoiding the tons of pre-views, gamer first hand accounts (including Neo Gaf posters), and in game features but that all mighty 7.3 from IGN is the icing on the cake. Yea whatever..... your mind has already been made up.

wsippel

Banned
At this point imo it's seems to be more likely that they actually started with the e6760 and customized it to fit the consoles needs.

Was RV770 actually ever rumored to be the GPU where the started from? Because that wouldn't make any sense. That's a ~250mm² 55nm GPU that's just far, far above the WiiU TDP target.
RV740 is probably still too big, but atleast it's already at 40nm. I see no reason to start with a 55nm GPU, than shrink it to 40nm, when there is a 40nm GPU available.
Every rumor since the very first one said it was based on R700. And it does make sense, as R700 was the most modern design AMD had when they started working on the Wii U chip back in spring 2009. But depending on the level of customization, it doesn't really matter what the chip is based on. Comparing it with software development, the GPU could probably be considered a "fork".

F#A#Oo

Banned
Who exactly is forcing you to like it? Since when are reviews the sole way of determining a game is for you or not? You're already judging the game saying its a Ubisoft launch game. Assuming it another Red Steel without even doing the proper research to know that its a completely different team behind this game. Completely avoiding the tons of pre-views, gamer first hand accounts (including Neo Gaf posters), and in game features but that all mighty 7.3 from IGN is the icing on the cake. Yea whatever..... your mind has already been made up.

Naaa I only get my reviews from Edge, friend recommendations and GAF. In that order.

It seems to me you're ever so slightly bitter about something or other. You are in no position to be recommending ZombiU. So stop acting like you're the official ZombiU defence force.

I'm entitled to my opinion and feelings. Ubisoft has used Nintendo platforms to put shovelware and the most god-awful software imaginable and this is my main reason for really not caring about ZombiU.

Every rumor since the very first one said it was based on R700. And it does make sense, as R700 was the most modern design AMD had when they started working on the Wii U chip back in spring 2009. But depending on the level of customization, it doesn't really matter what the chip is based on. Comparing it with software development, the GPU could probably be considered a "fork".

Trevelyan9999 said:
The RV700 series was confirmed, I thought that it was based on the RV770 but I couldn't find exact quotes on that.

Confirmed as in rumored ;) I'm simply not sure how the HD4xxx series could possibly be the best/most efficient GPU series to get into a games console that launches in 2012. That's why I'm not completely sold on this stuff.

wsippel

Banned
Confirmed as in rumored ;) I'm simply not sure how the HD4xxx series could possibly be the best/most efficient GPU series to get into a games console that launches in 2012. That's why I'm not completely sold on this stuff.
It's not really a R700 anymore.

Code:
2007	R600
	|
	V
2008    R700
	|------------------------
	V			|
2009	Evergreen		|
	|			|
	V			|
2010	Northern Islands	|
	|			|
	V			|
2011	Southern Islands	|
	|			|
	|			V
2012	|			Nintendo GPU7
	|
	V
2013	Sea Islands

KageMaru

Everyone to his/her opinion.

But in my opinion, it is valid.

lol You can't ignore years of advancements in the industry because it's valid to do so in your opinion. Developers are much more experienced with current tech now than they were in 2005, so of course you're going to see better looking games in 2012 than in 2005.

It also seems like you're using this as some kind of indication that things will progress as much with the Wii-U as we saw with the 360, and that is highly doubtful.

Naaa I only get my reviews from Edge, friend recommendations and GAF. In that order.

It seems to me you're ever so slightly bitter about something or other. You are in no position to be recommending ZombiU. So stop acting like you're the official ZombiU defence force.

I'm entitled to my opinion and feelings. Ubisoft has used Nintendo platforms to put shovelware and the most god-awful software imaginable and this is my main reason for really not caring about ZombiU.

When did I ever recommend Zombi U to you? I have yet to defend Zombi U, I dunno if you are even reading what Im saying to you. All my post has to do with what you posted, bad assumptions.

F#A#Oo

Banned
When did I ever recommend Zombi U to you? I have yet to defend Zombi U, I dunno if you are even reading what Im saying to you. All my post has to do with what you posted, bad assumptions.

Why do you care about my opinion? Why are you driving home the need for me to give Ubisoft a chance?

It's not really a R700 anymore.

Code:
2007	R600
	|
	V
2008    R700
	|------------------------
	V			|
2009	Evergreen		|
	|			|
	V			|
2010	Northern Islands	|
	|			|
	V			|
2011	Southern Islands	|
	|			|
	|			V
2012	|			Nintendo GPU7
	|
	V
2013	Sea Islands

If it was developed alongside that primary line of products, what are the chances of the lines converging (at one point or multiple points) leading to the end-product actually being a modification of the E6760?

Code:
	|
	V
	|-------------------
	V			|
	|                  /
	|           /	
	V    /	
          /          
	|  \			
	V      \				
	|            \
	|		  \	
        |                     \
2012	|			Nintendo GPU7
	|
	V
2013	Sea Islands

Why do you care about my opinion? Why are you driving home the need for me to give Ubisoft a chance?

Who said I care? I really dont care if you buy the game or not. What does bother me is when people make assumptions without even trying to inform themselves. You posted what you posted on a public forum yet no one is suppose to have a response to what you have to say? Next time just keep it to yourself then.

Close to 0%.

g1345599243670413032.jpg

F#A#Oo

Banned
Who said I care? I really dont care if you buy the game or not. What does bother me is when people make assumptions without even trying to inform themselves. You posted what you posted on a public forum yet no one is suppose to have a response to what you have to say? Next time just keep it to yourself then.

Opinions...You know about them right? and how we can disagree and it's ok. This is the place to put them out there...you just need to chill and not take differing opinions personally especially when it concerns corporations and their products.

Kamek

Can someone direct me to a post that explains simply, how powerful this is/what this means (non-DBZ please).

StevieP

Banned
Can someone direct me to a post that explains simply, how powerful this is/what this means (non-DBZ please).

If this were the actual GPU it was based on (which it isn't) it would be somewhere between 2-3x current gen in a bullshit multiplier factor. Which also means nothing. lol
Final silicon is said to be different from the R700 base as well as different from the 6760.

If this were the actual GPU it was based on (which it isn't) it would be somewhere between 2-3x current gen in a bullshit multiplier factor. Which also means nothing. lol
Final silicon is said to be different from the R700 base as well as different from the 6760.

2-3X more powerful on paper. If it actually IS some freakish HD 4850/e6760 hybrid, then it's probably closer to 4-5X more powerful in real-world performance (the 4850 could run piss-poorly optimized Crysis at High/Very High @720p and 30FPS, the 360 version [even though it's using a better optimized-for-consoles engine] runs at low/medium equivalent settings @ 1152x720 and 30FPS. It seems as though they are going the 3DS route again; a pretty meh CPU (most likely a tri-core PowerPC A2/Broadway hybrid @ 2.4GHz with 2MB of eDRAM. POWER7 has ben de-confirmed by IBM), a decent amount of fast RAM (1GB of GDDR5 for games and 1GB of DDR3 for OS and system [although they may go with a more exotic RAM like how they went with FCRAM for the 3DS and 1T-SRAM for the GameCube]) and a pretty good GPU.

thuway

We can argue technical specs all day, but as far as I'm concerned, launch titles haven't shown off the visual evolution articulated in this thread. My Wii U will be strictly for Nintendo First Party and the off beat exclusive.

We can argue technical specs all day, but as far as I'm concerned, launch titles haven't shown off the visual evolution articulated in this thread. My Wii U will be strictly for Nintendo First Party and the off beat exclusive.

Translation: Rayman Legends and Bayonetta 2

2-3X more powerful on paper. If it actually IS some freakish HD 4850/e6760 hybrid, then it's probably closer to 4-5X more powerful in real-world performance (the 4850 could run piss-poorly optimized Crysis at High/Very High @720p and 30FPS, the 360 version [even though it's using a better optimized-for-consoles engine] runs at low/medium equivalent settings @ 1152x720 and 30FPS. It seems as though they are going the 3DS route again; a pretty meh CPU (most likely a tri-core PowerPC A2/Broadway hybrid @ 2.4GHz with 2MB of eDRAM. POWER7 has ben de-confirmed by IBM), a decent amount of fast RAM (1GB of GDDR5 for games and 1GB of DDR3 for OS and system [although they may go with a more exotic RAM like how they went with FCRAM for the 3DS and 1T-SRAM for the GameCube]) and a pretty good GPU.

Don't forget the 32MBs of eDRAM!
That alone represent a 3x leap over current gen (much more if we compare it to the Wii).

Top Bottom