• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoramon089 Rumor: WiiU GPU is a modified Radeon E6760 [AMD: We haven't said anything]

Daschysta

Is that a mobile GPU? I guess that explains some stuff. If true. A friend of mine has a MacBook Pro with a 6750(which I gather is about the same) and he has a hard time running games higher than 720p with a solid framerate.

No it isn't a mobile GPU. It isn't used in personal PC's typically, but Ninty would have modded it substantially.

I don't think you understand the dissent towards what Nintendo is doing to gaming hardware. People like me have higher expectations for visual fidelity and audio fidelity. Should I be commit myself to the lowest common divider just to play the games I would find interesting?

Yes?

Lots of us do both. Love my high fidelity gaming, Ps3/PC/360 et al. , but love Nintendo games too.

Do both?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is that a mobile GPU? I guess that explains some stuff. If true. A friend of mine has a MacBook Pro with a 6750(which I gather is about the same) and he has a hard time running games higher than 720p with a solid framerate.
From what I understand it is kind of like that. A discrete laptop-like GPU that is instead targeted towards applications like MRI imaging, high end interactive kiosks and touchscreens etc.

it's not a mobile GPU as in smartphone-mobile.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I don't think you understand the dissent towards what Nintendo is doing to gaming hardware. People like me have higher expectations for visual fidelity and audio fidelity. Should I be commit myself to the lowest common divider just to play the games I would find interesting?

If you find the games interesting, sure!

That's what we buy these boxes for, right?

jett

D-Member
From what I understand it is kind of like that. A discrete laptop-like GPU that is instead targeted towards applications like MRI imaging, high end interactive kiosks and touchscreens etc.

it's not a mobile GPU as in smartphone-mobile.

A GPU for "embedded devices". That includes stuff like car navigation systems, avionics, slot machines, medical instruments... and consoles.

It's a GPU for non-PC, purpose-built devices. Like kiosks. Or consoles?

I sees. Probably close to the 6750m in power then.

But if it is sooo awful what Nintendos doing to gaming hardware, isn´t it awful aswell that MS and Sony focus so much on non gaming stuff? The non-gaming focus will propably increase next gen...

And Nintendo does amazing things "to gaming" in the software side!

A 576 GFLOP GPU over the 12 GFLOP GPU the Wii has.
A superclocked Tri Core version of the original Wii's CPU.
2GB's of Ram over the 88MB of Ram the Wii has.

Now that's what i call a generational leap !!!.

It's going to be truly scary what first party Nintendo developers create on a system that powerful considering they created Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword and Metroid Prime 3 on the original Wii.

jett

D-Member
Ok in dbz terms, how does this revelation compare to past rumors?

oolong.bmp

It's going to be truly scary what first party Nintendo developers create on a system that powerful considering they created Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword and Metroid Prime 3 on the original Wii.

It's definitely going to be a fun gen for Nintendo games, and I don't normally care about the graphical area of gaming.

Meelow

Banned

Did you buy a Dreamcast or PS2?, because the Wii U is pretty much that.

Mario galaxy was mind blowing visually. With Wii U i really can´t wait to see what they can squeeze out of the box.

jett

D-Member
6750M could be up to 26% slower than a stock E6760 according to the only benches I've stumbled upon (3DMarkVantage ~4600 Vs. ~5800 IIRC).

That's why I said close, not that 3DMark numbers matter much. :p With that kind of hardware it seems the Wii U has it appears straight ports of PS4/Durango/UE4 games are out of the question.

Meelow

Banned
According to who? And the PS2 had a boatload of exclusives not found anywhere else. There wasn't even a choice involved really.

I'm not talking about the exclusives, I'm saying if the rumors and reliable sources statement come true then the Wii U will be the weakest next gen but it won't be in a bad place like the Wii was.

And It didn't matter if the PS2 had the exclusives, it still was the weakest one out of the three so if the Wii U gets tons of exclusives nobody is going to care if it's the weakest out of the three.

That's a very flawed comparison. Even with some Day-1 games, Dreamcast and PS2 offered pretty substantial visual upgrades over Saturn, PS1 and N64.

I'm saying if everything turns out to be what reliable and rumors said than the PS4 and Xbox 720 won't stomp the Wii U like some people believe, especially the people that keep saying next gen will be like this gen in power.

The Wii U is significantly more powerful than Wii and it's a decent/ok jump over the PS3/360, there is no way the PS4 and Xbox 720 will have a Xbox to Xbox 360 or PS2 to PS3 jump.

?

Sounds a lot like the company we're talking about to me.

Oh well I was talking about 3rd party games as I assume the person he was talking was not referring to first party games as the Wii U obviously isn't the lowest common denominator for Nintendo's own games since they aren't anywhere else.

so if the Wii U gets tons of exclusives nobody is going to care if it's the weakest out of the three.

Except we have no indication of the entire industry shifting to make a bunch of Wii U exclusives.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Oh well I was talking about 3rd party games as I assume the person he was talking was not referring to first party games as the Wii U obviously isn't the lowest common denominator for Nintendo's own games since they aren't anywhere else.

Cool :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
And It didn't matter if the PS2 had the exclusives, it still was the weakest one out of the three so if the Wii U gets tons of exclusives nobody is going to care if it's the weakest out of the three.
It depends how much weaker. With PS2 the difference was not big enough to really matter, plus it had performance advantages on its own where it could really shine when exploited (fillrate based effects).

The Wii U is significantly more powerful than Wii and it's a decent/ok jump over the PS3/360, there is no way the PS4 and Xbox 720 will have a Xbox to Xbox 360 or PS2 to PS3 jump.
I don't think it's really an OK jump over PS3/360, at least from what we've seen so far. It's nice that it has 2x more memory, but whatever jump over them it has needs to manifest in games they're showing to mean anything. Otherwise, for all we know, some terrible CPU bottleneck could be nullifying whatever other advantages it has on paper.

Meelow

Banned
Except we have no indication of the entire industry shifting to make a bunch of Wii U exclusives.

Of course, exclusives are less common now but it doesn't mean the Wii U won't get exclusives, just like PS4/720.

Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft all have to prove something next gen

Nintendo has to prove that they can get good third party support and good online if they can prove that then they are set.

I don't think it's really an OK jump over PS3/360, at least from what we've seen so far. It's nice that it has 2x more memory, but whatever jump over them it has needs to manifest in games they're showing to mean anything. Otherwise, for all we know, some terrible CPU bottleneck could be nullifying whatever other advantages it has on paper.

Launch games don't show what a console can really do (example Xbox 360), we know the Wii U uses modern architecture, more p owerful GPU, and a confusing CPU, the CPU is OoO and we know it's slower but we don't know if it's weaker which I don't think it is, the Wii U is a decent/ok jump over the PS3/360, the rumors of the PS4 and Xbox 720 specs are also decent, they aren't full generational leap like people expect, that is if those are the legit specs.

Of course, exclusives are less common now butit doesn't mean the Wii U won't get exclusives, just like PS4/720.

Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft all have to prove something next gen

Nintendo has to prove that they can get good third party support and good online if they can prove that then they are set.

Well of course. But you make it sound like its as easy as pressing a switch. Sony and MS don't have to fight for (western) 3rd party support because they get it de facto. You basically said if Wii U gets a ton of exclusives people won't care about its power, but the comparison was to the PS2 which had the back of almost the entire industry.

It depends how much weaker. With PS2 the difference was not big enough to really matter, plus it had performance advantages on its own where it could really shine when exploited (fillrate based effects).

Since Wii U is "only" a moderate step up from current gen and not a super leap like PS2 to PS3 or Xbox to Xbox 360, it shouldn´t surprise anyone that launch window games are just "a tad better" than current gen. It will progress nicely over time and distinct itself visually quite a bit from current gen.

it shouldn´t surprise anyone that launch window games are just "a tad better" than current gen

The problem is no games look better than the best of this gen. Not even a tad bit better. I mean I don't give a shit and am buying a Wii U anyway, but people have a valid point.

Meelow

Banned
Well of course. But you make it sound like its as easy as pressing a switch. Sony and MS don't have to fight for (western) 3rd party support because they get it de facto. You basically said if Wii U gets a ton of exclusives people won't care about its power, but the comparison was to the PS2 which had the back of almost the entire industry.

Of course it's not easy, Nintendo will have to work for that, I definitely see the Wii U to be the console for eastern third party support, Nintendo will also have work to make Nintendo Network good. Nintendo does have to fight for western third party support and it won't be easy but it's possible it can happen.

Easily the worst example you could have used.

Well it's true, there was not launch 360 game that looked as good as Halo 4.

The problem is no games look better than the best of this gen. Not even a tad bit better. I mean I don't give a shit and am buying a Wii U anyway, but people have a valid point.

According to people who played ZombiU already, it is "a tad better". And don´t give me the fanboy excuse pls... Among those people are guys i really trust!

Well it's true, there was not launch 360 game that looked as good as Halo 4.

There have been launch window games for most major consoles that were graphical wonders and showed what could be done on the system. the 360 had Kameo and Dead or Alive 4 (Where the Xbox was almost a gen ahead of the competition, and DOA:U already looked damn good). Need for Speed, Project Gotham and Ridge Racer 6 were also very pretty racers that blew the lids off of anything last gen.

According to people who played ZombiU already, it is "a tad better". And don´tgove me the fanboy excuse pls... Among those people are guys i really trust!

Better than what? uncharted series? Nope Gears of war series? Nope God of war series? Nope Resident evil 5? Nope etc etc.....

rpmurphy

I like how it goes downward each time I see someone ask about the WiiU in DBZ's power level.

- Over 9000
- Yamcha
- Saibamen
- Farmer with the shotgun

Now this! :D
Puar actually graduated from his transformation school, so next time it will be Oolong. Or is Oolong only allowed to be used for otaku systems like the Xbox 360?

Top Bottom